• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You're at a restaurant, you order a cheeseburger, but the server says it is 3 bucks extra, would you

• Yes

Votes: 256 26.2%
  • No way

Votes: 486 49.7%
  • N/A I don't care for cheese on burgers, don't eat cheese, etc.

Votes: 115 11.8%
  • Depends on my money situation

Votes: 120 12.3%

• Total voters

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
you should post her unhinged followup videos where she purchases a bunch of cheese from the store, and even goes back to the restaurant (?) to try and prove some point about how she's not mad. idk I didn't watch her followup videos all the way through. she's getting dragged

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's extremely petty and I feel bad for her.

Edit: I feel really bad for the guy too. Literally ditched him and ghosted him in the middle of a date. Psycho vibes.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah, if I really wanted a cheeseburger bad enough I would pay it, if we're talking like 18 bucks for a cheeseburger though I am going to order something else and try to get my moneys worth

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Christ that girl posting that story with zero shame.

The guy probably ended up feeling really shitty/hurt but frankly he dodged a bullet.

Most extra I would pay is £1 more.
Yup, and it better be an actual cheese like cheddar or mozarella rather than "cheese product" slices.

Not a knock against cheese product slices - I love them - but I would not pay any amount extra money for them, not even a penny.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I sit down in a restaurant I lose all concept of money. $3 extra? Throw it on I don't give a shit. If I want cheese I want cheese.

Note that I'm not rich or anything just irresponsible.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I voted "depends upon my money situation", not because of my financial situation, but because of the nature of said restaurant. If I'm already paying $20 bucks for a burger, another $3 to make it perfect isn't making me lose my mind. Of course I generally try to avoid places where burgers are that expensive.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm era-rich and I wouldn't do it. I just got over getting guac for $1 and now it costs $2+.

edit: I'm talking about for myself lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If I am out, means I treating myself. Ball out, but people do what you want

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surely there has to be more to this than...not paying 3 bucks for cheese.

*rereads*

WELP.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
No. Hell happened recently…went to lunch with co workers for a ten dollar deal that suspiciously turned into fifteen dollars despite what the menu said because according to the waiter it's an 'old menu' (pretty sure he was just pissed we weren't ordering drinks).

Half of us avoided the 3 dollar charge each for cheese and, lol, 'grilled onions'. It was a nice place, but like the dude in the OP we felt scammed

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even focused on the money aspect. She...lied to her date. Ditched him. And ghosted him all while he sat and waited for her to go to the restroom.

That can cause mental damage.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Dude got a free burger and dodged the bullet in that video. Sounds like a good night overall.

On topic, I would probably just get the cheese but it's whatever.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
If I was tight for money, yes. 3 bucks for American cheese is nuts!

This came from a viral TT of a woman getting dragged for dining a dashing on a date. All because the guy she was on date refused to pay extra lol.

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@dafna_diamant/video/7208764633363025195?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7198272855695492651

Her caring that much about him not getting the cheese is dumb (and funny), but dine and dash means eating then leaving without paying. She paid the bill, and even paid for his food, so it's definitely not that.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
At least she paid the bill. The "dash and dine" wording made it sound like she bailed on the guy and left him with the tab.

But yeah, $3 for cheese is ridiculous. Would probably suck it up and pay it if I was on a date though lol.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
3 bucks extra for cheese is fuckin dumb, but if I want a burger, I'm going to get a burger the way I want it and eat the charge.

That said this fuckin dating video is....... man, people are so weird. I've been exposed to this toxic type of video which is uhh, "getting the ick," which basically "the ick" is women seeing their men or potential partners doing something that makes them seem less manly or whatever the stereotype is. And this video fits that, it's like this ... standard of dating video where it's not just about like actual things that matter, but things like "Man, $3 for cheese is expensive, I'm going to get something else..." "Ick, my date didn't want to pay $3 for cheese, icky."

There's a whole counter-trend to this trend whsich is that someone will stitch this and say

"Things men can't do on dates: ...
- Not order cheese on their burger"

AT THE SAME TIME......

Part of me doubts this video anyway.

Like the menu just said

"Burger"

And the guy just said "Yes I'll have burger."

"How would you like it?"

"With cheese please."

"That's $3."

I dunno, seems weird to me.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Generally my policy is to not let upcharges get in the way of a nice meal of the food I most want, and then to never go back if things got really stupid. Like my least favorite type of upcharge these days is "kitchen/back-of-house surcharge," that shit is obnoxious and all but guarantees I won't go back.

Long way of saying that yeah, I would pay it

Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the very least they should list it on the menu, that would be kinda odd to not list that

I prob would still get it though

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Okay on a blind date I wouldn't make a big deal about the $3. That's just me.

If by myself and they up charge me $3 for some cheese it better be some special cheese and not some Kraft slices.😋

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Really depends on where you go.

9 times out of 10 if it's an up-charge, it's listed on the menu. In a lot of states, that's the law. So I don't know why someone would make an issue out of it, either pay the upcharge or don't. Complaining on a date is usually a no-no. That said, I don't think I'd have been as offended by it as the person in the TikTok.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Generally my policy is to not let upcharges get in the way of a nice meal of the food I most want, and then to never go back if things got really stupid. Like my least favorite type of upcharge these days is "kitchen/back-of-house surcharge," that shit is obnoxious and all but guarantees I won't go back.

Long way of saying that yeah, I would pay it
I can only imagine what a fried egg upcharge is at that place lol.

Especially today!

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it sounds like he was hip to how things work in NYC (because he specifically asked) and just simply decided not to spend an extra $3 on what was probably a single slice of bog-standard American cheese.

Personally I probably would've paid the $3 and then made a single mild complaint about it on the assumption my date wasn't going to blow it up for TikTok clout but hey that's me.

She sucks and he dodged a bullet.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
  • $3 upcharge is pretty absurd for cheese unless it's some pretty fancy cheese.
  • If I'm on a first date, I'm going to eat that cost. It's $3. Doesn't make you look good to be fussing over it.
  • Extremely petty of her to ditch the date and block him over it. Bullet dodged on his part.
  • At least she paid the bill before ditching.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

9 times out of 10 if it's an up-charge, it's listed on the menu. In a lot of states, that's the law. So I don't know why someone would make an issue out of it, either pay the upcharge or don't. Complaining on a date is usually a no-no. That said, I don't think I'd have been as offended by it as the person in the TikTok.
Your privilege is showing
Your dates always let you super size and get extra cheddar bay biscuits.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went on a horrible Tinder date with a woman like this once.
My date didn't sneak out on me. But I wish she would have.

On the date I had she talked about how she scammed the government into offering her low incoming temporary housing. When it came time to pay the bill I offered to pay and she said "no no we can split". Okay.. fine. When I dropped her off she told me I could have the left overs and hands me the doggy bag. Cool! Thanks.

I asked for her number and her response was:

"No we aren't compatible because I'm looking for a provider. You didn't insist on paying for the bill. And you should have refused the left overs and let me have them."

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

I think she was using it to assess his character as him being a cheapskate.

But that's a bad example.

Idk, refusing a 3 buck upcharge on cheese seems very reasonable and I love cheese.

Also, if he's following more traditional pay on the first date gender roles, dating gets expensive!

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went on a horrible Tinder date with a woman like this once.
My date didn't sneak out on me. But I wish she would have.

On the date I had she talked about how she scammed the government into offering her low incoming temporary housing. When it came time to pay the bill I offered to pay and she said "no no we can split". Okay.. fine. When I dropped her off she told me I could have the left overs and hands me the doggy bag. Cool! Thanks.

I asked for her number and her response was:

"No we aren't compatible because I'm looking for a provider. You didn't insist on paying for the bill. And you should have refused the left overs and let me have them."
Lmao it's like...just tell me...what you want?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if I really wanted a cheeseburger bad enough I would pay it, if we're talking like 18 bucks for a cheeseburger though I am going to order something else and try to get my moneys worth
Sounds like the guy lucked out. Dodged a weirdo and got a free meal. Happy days.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there are a few things going on here.

$3 is a lot for cheese

Not paying for $3 is a larger warning sign of a date.

Basing your date on money is stupid.