• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You're at a restaurant, you order a cheeseburger, but the server says it is 3 bucks extra, would you

• Yes

Votes: 256 26.2%
  • No way

Votes: 486 49.7%
  • N/A I don't care for cheese on burgers, don't eat cheese, etc.

Votes: 115 11.8%
  • Depends on my money situation

Votes: 120 12.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like there are a few things going on here.

$3 is a lot for cheese

Not paying for $3 is a larger warning sign of a date.

Basing your date on money is stupid.
Not paying 3 bucks for his order tho? I could understand if was her order, but it is his order?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Ironically, I think I would pay 3$ more if the cheeseburger cost 3$ more than the regular burger but would say no if it was like there's only a burger on the menu and they tell me it costs 3$ more to make it a cheeseburger.

Also, from the way she tells the story, I think the "problem" in this case wasn't not getting the cheese, but the way he complained about it afterwards. Not judging whether or not it's an actual issue, but depending on how it went, it could have come off as someone being super stingy. Not digging the way she just left without telling him she was leaving (don't get me wrong, leaving is always 100% fair if you're not comfortable or don't like the person, IMO, just tell them unless you don't feel it's safe of course) but she did go to the waitress, paid for the tab and then let him know she left (however badly she did it). As far as ghosting goes, it could have been worse haha.

I don't think refusing 3$ add to get a cheeseburger is being a cheapskate. However, I think complaining about it after and making a big deal out of it kind of is. I don't know, it's not the kind of thing I would harp on to someone during our first date?

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
If I really wanted a cheeseburger I probably would. But most of the time I'd just order something else. It's principle. And $3 is outrageous. You don't complain on dates, but the way she makes it sound he was probably just astounded at the up charge and not truly complaining.

Girl sounds terrible. Definitely not someone I'd date.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Sounds like the guy lucked out. Dodged a weirdo and got a free meal. Happy days.
Yeah I think the common consensus is he dodged a bullet, which is true but that's more long term, in the short term he really took a bullet. That could have hurt the guy real bad, people have killed themselves over stuff like this. I imagine it would feel horrible to realize his date snuck out on him and then found out it was broadcasted to the entire world that it was because he was seen as too stingy or whatever to pay another $3.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm loaded but no I'm probably not paying $3 for a slice of cheese. Unless like others said the burger was already $30, I mean at that point better go all out anyway. Of course I would pay $50 for a bottle of wine and you know that's $40 straight profit markup so a slice of cheese isn't the most egregious part.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Burger with cheese being more expensive than burger without it is expected. 3 dollars does seem much, especially if one slice of cheese is the only difference. I might pay it though if it's good cheese and really makes a difference.

Edit: I'm used to cheese slice costing 1-1.50 euros.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I might pay it if it's good cheese (not American cheese lmao) and I really craved it, but I'd grumble. $3 is too much.

I went on a horrible Tinder date with a woman like this once.
My date didn't sneak out on me. But I wish she would have.

On the date I had she talked about how she scammed the government into offering her low incoming temporary housing. When it came time to pay the bill I offered to pay and she said "no no we can split". Okay.. fine. When I dropped her off she told me I could have the left overs and hands me the doggy bag. Cool! Thanks.

I asked for her number and her response was:

"No we aren't compatible because I'm looking for a provider. You didn't insist on paying for the bill. And you should have refused the left overs and let me have them."
You dodged a bullet, and so did the guy who dated the stupid fuck in the OP.

Not paying for $3 is a larger warning sign of a date.
Not really? It was HIS order. And $3 is a stupidly high surcharge for a cheese slice. He just said "all right no thanks" and made an innocuous comment about it.

That woman is the red flag, not him.

Yeah, if he ordered it for him and didn't want to pay, then he's a dumbass.
????

Also, from the way she tells the story, I think the "problem" in this case wasn't not getting the cheese, but the way he complained about it afterwards.
In her video she says she told him "you should have taken the cheese". And we don't know he made a big deal, from HER side of the story he literally just grumbled briefly.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if he ordered it for him and didn't pay, then he's a dumbass.
No. check the video for the breakdown.

They both ordered something.

His order had a up charge which he refused.

His date, the woman in the video, excused herself to go the restroom and ditched the date because she thought it was a cheap move on a date.

She then Venmoed the restaurant bill and blocked him lol.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Ironically, I think I would pay 3$ more if the cheeseburger cost 3$ more than the regular burger but would say no if it was like there's only a burger on the menu and they tell me it costs 3$ more to make it a cheeseburger.

Also, from the way she tells the story, I think the "problem" in this case wasn't not getting the cheese, but the way he complained about it afterwards. Not judging whether or not it's an actual issue, but depending on how it went, it could have come off as someone being super stingy. Not digging the way she just left without telling him she was leaving (don't get me wrong, leaving is always 100% fair if you're not comfortable or don't like the person, IMO, just tell them unless you don't feel it's safe of course) but she did go to the waitress, paid for the tab and then let him know she left (however badly she did it). As far as ghosting goes, it could have been worse haha.

I don't think refusing 3$ add to get a cheeseburger is being a cheapskate. However, I think complaining about it after and making a big deal out of it kind of is. I don't know, it's not the kind of thing I would harp on to someone during our first date?
You would be right if this was all how it went down.

Watch her follow-up videos. She's insane.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I can't believe someone would ditch a date over not getting a slice of cheese. She did him a favor and he got a free meal out of it.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
No. check the video for the breakdown.

They both ordered something.

His order had a up charge which he refused.

His date, the woman in the video, excused herself to go the restroom and ditched the date because she thought it was a cheap move on a date.

She then Venmoed the restaurant bill and blocked him lol.

I mean, I get it. It *IS* a cheap move. I'm just thinking through the concept of going out on a first date and the difference in getting cheese on your burger being $1 (expected) or $3. Seems dumb for that to be your pain point. I, personally, think he's a dumbass for even thinking about it at that point. I also think her behavior is wrong!

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Another note here: she ordered the branzino, which is probably in the mid-to-upper price range on the menu depending on the spot, whereas a burger is typically one of the lowest. I bet even with the $3, the cheeseburger would still ring up way less than her order, that's not a good look on a date lol.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think she was using it to assess his character as him being a cheapskate.

But that's a bad example.

Idk, refusing a 3 buck upcharge on cheese seems very reasonable and I love cheese.

Also, if he's following more traditional pay on the first date gender roles, dating gets expensive!

Oh yeah, it is reasonable. Like I said, depending on where you go. If you're going somewhere super high end in and in NYC, $3 wouldn't surprise me. But even in NYC, 3 bucks for cheese would be a lot for your average bar and grill casual date spot.

I would just probably keep it to yourself why you're no getting the cheese, but that's just a dating best practices thing.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cheeseburgers are usually a separate item on the menu and cost more at most places I go to

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I went on a horrible Tinder date with a woman like this once.
My date didn't sneak out on me. But I wish she would have.

On the date I had she talked about how she scammed the government into offering her low incoming temporary housing. When it came time to pay the bill I offered to pay and she said "no no we can split". Okay.. fine. When I dropped her off she told me I could have the left overs and hands me the doggy bag. Cool! Thanks.

I asked for her number and her response was:

"No we aren't compatible because I'm looking for a provider. You didn't insist on paying for the bill. And you should have refused the left overs and let me have them."

Bullet dodged, mate, hahaha. These nutso people

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Cheeseburgers are usually a separate item on the menu and cost more at most places I go to
I've been to some of these places.

Some of these places have this dumb shit lol. It's listed as an hamburger and you have order cheese extra. It's incredibly stupid, but gotta make that money I guess.

Usually more mid tier places. Burgers are always a basic option at these places.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
In her video she says she told him "you should have taken the cheese". And we don't know he made a big deal, from HER side of the story he literally just grumbled briefly.

Eh, might just be me trying to see the positive in everything, I'm a naïve person in general.

Hey at least the dude got that free meal!

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Kinda depends how much the burger costs.

If it's a $5 burger then hell no, I'm not paying $3 extra for cheese.

If it's a 25$ burger then sure, $3 seems reasonable to cheese that bad boy up

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
A story where you feel like everybody in it is the loser.

Edit: Though I've been enlightened, and looks like there is one clear winner.

Last edited:

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
There are places everywhere that charge extra for cheese. Haven't seen $3 bad, but I assume it's more upscale. I've seen $25 for a grilled cheese at a Hilton restaurant (that we didn't eat at), so I can see that much of an upcharge at those kind of places.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how much the burger was, but I would most likely pay the $3.

But, I would also not judge my date for refusing the up-charge on their food item.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't about him being cheap.

Brad Pitt rule says she ultimately wasn't feeling it prior to this incident and this just pushed her into preferring to bail and get some clout over the situation.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I really want cheese, sometimes I can take it or leave it

Depends on how I'm feeling

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
it's the principle of the thing. $3 for a slice of cheese is ridiculous, even in NYC.

I'm era-rich and I wouldn't do it. I just got over getting guac for $1 and now it costs $2+.

edit: I'm talking about for myself lol

i'm not sure what your definition of "era-rich" is but judging from the amount of people on this forum complaining about their financial situation i'd guess not living paycheck to paycheck is "era-rich" lol

To be fair, that is normal behavior these days, lol.
i'd surely text a friend on the way home if something weird happened on a date i'd just left, but putting it on social media is a bit much. i don't think it's normal.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I would not. $3 is too much for what is most likely a kraft american cheese slice.

This was posted on reddit and she gets really defensive in the successive videos about this. She showed cheese that costed around $3 but they are not slices thus not proving her point. Then she goes on saying that she's still talking to the guy in another video which I'm confused about. I don't think we need to be blasting this person.

Also warning that her tiktok is NSFW.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
My Lord, some of these modern women have ridiculous standards. She's definitely one of those "Money should be no object" type of women.

Dude dodged a nuke.