• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You're at a restaurant, you order a cheeseburger, but the server says it is 3 bucks extra, would you

• Yes

Votes: 256 26.2%
  • No way

Votes: 486 49.7%
  • N/A I don't care for cheese on burgers, don't eat cheese, etc.

Votes: 115 11.8%
  • Depends on my money situation

Votes: 120 12.3%

• Total voters

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Anyone else think with how people are seen as disposable nowadays when it comes to dating thanks to social media and dating apps, the girl probably wasn't feeling the dude in the first place. And all it took was a piece of cheese to push her over the edge.

Nah, too much benefit of the doubt for her haha.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Well he was in a date? He came across as super stingy. Expensive? Hell yeah but that's a poor impression IMO. She didn't come across as a good person though so good for him on that dodge, she's entitled to have standards or opinions or whatever I guess.
How does that come across as stingy?

She asked if he wanted cheese. He asked how much. After hearing the price, he probably politely declined. Remember, we're only hearing about it from her side. I don't see how declining after hearing the price is somehow super stingy.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Was the $3 charge not listed on the menu? A surprise? Because I would see that and order something else.

That said, if my hypothetical date declined to go with the upcharge and was polite about it to the waiter, I don't see what the problem is. It's not a red flag to not want to pay three damn dollars for a slice of cheese.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$3 for cheap burger "cheese" is a complete rip-off.

I would've paid out of courtesy probably but would've complained a bit at the same time. But also, it's not worth it to ruin an entire evening over $3.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
$3 for cheese on my burger is too much. I'm happy with mayo, lettuce, tomato, onions and green olives (yes, I like olive burgers).

Edit - I would pay for the upcharge for my date if I thought I had a chance with her LOL

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Super weird. I'd have just been like have the cheese if you want it and we'll split the bill, we're here to have a nice night. Feel bad he was left there alone 😔

data

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think with how people are seen as disposable nowadays when it comes to dating thanks to social media and dating apps, the girl probably wasn't feeling the dude in the first place. And all it took was a piece of cheese to push her over the edge.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was looking for red flags to begin with. They seem very hyperfocused on the cheese, especially in her next videos

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
Good on him. Upcharges for things have gotten out of hand since the pandemic happened. Banks around here charge an extra fee for using a debit card at a dispensary just for "being associated with marijuana" so i just get cash before I go.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I've no doubt that she did the dramatic exit thing for clout, and that the guy (utterly confused because he thought they were having a good time) agreed to a second date because why not?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The benefit of being older now is knowing that people like her that get the "ick" too easily can sometimes turn into cat ladies or whatever the man version is called. Having outrageous standards and the illusion of infinite choices (leading to grass is greener syndrome) is a rough combo.

Hopefully she grows out of it and I think most people do. A few don't and that's how you get folks waiting for their mythical perfect match in their 40s still.

But sometimes single people are single for a reason and unfortunately (for the burger guy) they're in the dating pool.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Saw the video yesterday. No way am I paying $3 for a slice of cheese lmao I can go buy a whole McChicken.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Yep, I blame the apps.

I'm not anti-apps, but have fucked up the dating space--no doubt about it.

Oct 27, 2017
on a first date, yeah i'd pay the upcharge. but i would pay the upcharge anyway.

she went way too far. dating sucks but you can't pull that kind of stuff on a hair trigger. unless he was outright rude to the waitstaff, then he signs away all privileges and cannot be trusted

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Super weird. I'd have just been like have the cheese if you want it and we'll split the bill, we're here to have a nice night. Feel bad he was left there alone 😔
It was an upcharge on his order though. It didn't have anything to do with hers. I'm sure he would have still paid for the date but she saw it as him being cheap overall though.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I think she was using it to assess his character as him being a cheapskate.

But that's a bad example.

Idk, refusing a 3 buck upcharge on cheese seems very reasonable and I love cheese.

Also, if he's following more traditional pay on the first date gender roles, dating gets expensive!
Whaaat, thats nonsense!

You dodge a bullet there

data

Oct 25, 2017
on a first date, yeah i'd pay the upcharge. but i would pay the upcharge anyway.

she went way too far. dating sucks but you can't pull that kind of stuff on a hair trigger. unless he was outright rude to the waitstaff, then he signs away all privileges and cannot be trusted
She doesn't mention him being rude. She just says he said never mind. Just sounded like he politely declined it tbh.

Let's not add more to the story than what she let on.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I'd probably pay it since eating out is already expensive. It's too much for cheese, but three bucks would still be worth it to me if I'm at a restaurant and want a burger. Declining the upcharge is more than reasonable though.

I went on a horrible Tinder date with a woman like this once.
My date didn't sneak out on me. But I wish she would have.

On the date I had she talked about how she scammed the government into offering her low incoming temporary housing. When it came time to pay the bill I offered to pay and she said "no no we can split". Okay.. fine. When I dropped her off she told me I could have the left overs and hands me the doggy bag. Cool! Thanks.

I asked for her number and her response was:

"No we aren't compatible because I'm looking for a provider. You didn't insist on paying for the bill. And you should have refused the left overs and let me have them."

This example though... holy shit.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A $3 upcharge for cheese is crazy. That's a restaurant just gouging at that point.

That being said, I wouldn't make a scene with my date due to it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I mean if that's the case I really don't think we need to be dragging her and calling her a psycho 🤷‍♂️
Because she first said she blocked him, and felt the need to share her clout-chasing idiocy on social media?

But you are literally doing that by repeatedly suggesting he likely politely declined when we have no information for or against that! ;)
????
The woman herself quoted him as saying "okay then, nevermind"

That's literally "declining politely". And the woman went "what the actual fuck" to this like it was so outrageous

She's 100% psycho

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
For a higher end restaurant...maybe? But otherwise, it's just kinda dumb. $3 for add-ons usually gets you a mini side or something. That's pricey for American
Cheese in almost any context.

If it's for a date I'll probably pay it if she's worth it and just be annoyed. It's totally a dumb principles thing, like being charged $2 for ketchup or something similarly asinine..

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This just makes me really glad I'm not in the "dating scene". Feels like you have to walk on eggshells if an extremely benign comment maybe you be written off as a "bad date" worthy of fleeing and blocking. Whatever happened to just "be yourself" or "acting normal"?

Like I'd understand being put off if the dude kept ranting or threw a hissy fit, or if it was one example out of many complaints he made the whole time, but "they really charge extra for everything these days" is such a nothing comment from an otherwise normal and (from her own comments) pleasant date. It's what normal people say all the time about... anything.

Oh absolutely. And of the two, I'd definitely say that she was the more unreasonable. Maybe he was rude to the waiter, or it was the cherry on top of a night full of complaining. But the story as she tells it in the video definitely wouldn't have been enough for me to walk out.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Social media was a mistake and one day we'll all be punished for it.

Also, not paying $3 for a slice of cheese.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It was an upcharge on his order though. It didn't have anything to do with hers. I'm sure he would have still paid for the date but she saw it as him being cheap overall though.
I know, I'm saying if the cost was an issue I'd have been like we can split so have what you want. We're there to have a nice time and I'd rather he get what he liked than spend any time stressing the change. Like even if I don't think we're good for a second date I'd rather we both have had a good night.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I read the title and I immediately knew what post this was referencing. My friends I debated it out and we determined that 1.) this person is a ginormous walking red flag for leaving the date because 2.) they went to it looking for content to post about their reason for walking out on a date.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly straight up leave the restaurant if I found out they were charging $3 for a piece of cheese.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least it's a good filter. Anyone that would care that much about something so innocuous is just a future migraine in the making.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If he tries to upcharge my burger, I'll order something else. If he tries to upcharge my dates burger, I'm paying.

EDIT: I'm lying, actually. I'm paying no matter what.

poweld

Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad I'm not in the dating game. I don't think I would find a suitable partner if I'm being ghosted over an overpriced slice of cheese.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I went on a horrible Tinder date with a woman like this once.
My date didn't sneak out on me. But I wish she would have.

On the date I had she talked about how she scammed the government into offering her low incoming temporary housing. When it came time to pay the bill I offered to pay and she said "no no we can split". Okay.. fine. When I dropped her off she told me I could have the left overs and hands me the doggy bag. Cool! Thanks.

I asked for her number and her response was:

"No we aren't compatible because I'm looking for a provider. You didn't insist on paying for the bill. And you should have refused the left overs and let me have them."
Ouch. I really hate this where they tell you one thing and mean another.

didn't mean to imply any rudeness on his part, just that she would be much more justified in bailing had he been rude
Gotcha. Yeah I can understand that, but from her follow up videos, she seemed really focused on the cheese bit so I feel that was the main red flag for her and her justification for bailing

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It always depends on how hungry I am if its for myself.

For a date obviously you pay the $3.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

People are in here actively trying to give her some modicum of plausible deniability and her videos are like "BECAUSE OF THIS INDIGNITY, MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY IS NOW FRIVOLOUS SPENDING ON CHEESE"

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nah I'm gonna just get it without cheese tbh
Not paying $3 unless it's like Gruyère or red fox cheddar or some shit

Calculus changes if I'm at a $20 burger joint. Like if it's a small % up charge I'll probably get it

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
????
The woman herself quoted him as saying "okay then, nevermind"

That's literally "declining politely". And the woman went "what the actual fuck" to this like it was so outrageous

She's 100% psycho

You and data both make a good point here and I will surrender the politeness hill.

Because she first said she blocked him, and felt the need to share her clout-chasing idiocy on social media?

But I feel this is a really low bar for psychopathic behavior. I dunno about the social media thing, especially because I don't think most normal people post this kind of thing expecting it to blow up beyond a small circle of friends and followers. And the physically-vulnerable participant in a date blocking the guy after texting him an explanation seems...totally fine to me, regardless of how comically shallow that explanation may be.

Granted, I'm on foreign soil here; cishet dating is not something I have any personal experience with. But that seems okay to me. It's definitely not ghosting.