You're at a restaurant, you order a cheeseburger, but the server says it is 3 bucks extra, would you

• Yes

Votes: 256 26.2%
  • No way

Votes: 486 49.7%
  • N/A I don't care for cheese on burgers, don't eat cheese, etc.

Votes: 115 11.8%
  • Depends on my money situation

Votes: 120 12.3%

• Total voters

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
If I am on a first date and I liked cheese, $3 aint shit but yeah it does seem like a rip-off for sure

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
$1? No problem.
$2? Sure.
$3? Nope.

At least she paid, but I feel like the guy dodged the bigger bullet. Just because everything is expensive nowadays doesn't mean you have to go "c'est la vie" and put up with it. Being judgmental over the luxury of $3 yellow American cheese!

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
I edited that post but that's kind of my point. I expect a nice place to have a nice burger by default.

Not to say in this scenario I wouldn't just eat that $3, because I would. Gimme all the cheese.

A nice place isn't going to have their server say, " you want cheese with that, hon? That'll be 3 bucks extra."

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
LOL? Way to bury the lede, OP. I think the date dodged a bullet. Seems like she's trying to prove how New York she is or something.

I mean if cheese was $3 extra I would normally just pay but it depends on my finances. Maybe I'll just the burger with no cheese instead. And if my date walked out, I'd probably call the waitress back and ask for the cheese since I just saved myself about 120 pounds.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
that little "Yeah, it's New York City 😏" made me cringe so hard I live inside my own butt now

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I am so grateful that I'm out of the dating game and reading posts like these:

A story where you feel like everybody in it is the loser.

just validates it for me. Dude doesn't want to pay a ripoff price for a slice of cheese, but still orders the burger, and somehow he's a loser. Yikes.

$3 won't make me poor, but I wouldn't pay it out of principle.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
That whole story is funny... 1st dates, yikes. Reminds me of a friend talking about first dates. She asked "How many wings is approriate to eat on a first date with a guy?"

I said... "As many as you want?"

She was worried a guy would be offended if she packed away a bunch of wings lol.

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
A bigger problem is getting a burger on the first date. Not the cleanest food to eat when meeting someone for the first time, also that burger didn't look $21 worth. $14 at the most.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Paying extra for every single thing is absolute bullshit, but it's a weird hill to die on on a first date. Dude dodged a bullet though, her reaction is wild. No cheese, no date, that poor dude had a rough night lol

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
A bigger problem is getting a burger on the first date. Not the cleanest food to eat when meeting someone for the first time, also that burger didn't look $21 worth. $14 at the most.

Clean enough if you eat it with cutlery.

sippingtea-tea.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Both of them sound like weirdos, albeit the one who thought to make a video out of it is dramatically more unhinged. Probably entirely fake anyway.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because I want a cheeseburger.

However back during my dating days, I would always look at a menu before a date and know exactly what I want as an entree (leaving the app as a fun discussion during the date)

Now with my family and on date nights with my wife, I still do this. I hate surprises and when menus show up that I am not expecting it takes me forever to make decisions.

But once I order that's it. I'm paying for what I ordered, because it's what I want.

The dude was a turd and she did the right thing

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't eat cheese on burgers, especially trash ass American cheese. But if I did, no, I wouldn't pay it.

Sounds like the guy avoided a future hassle if she's going to dip over $3.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
My date would be floored to find that I carry my own American cheese with me for situations like this.
This back pocket is packing heat.
Bam! American Cheese is on my burger.

I would probably order some annoying vegetarian or vegan option which would select me from the get go.

On a date and in general I am never annoying to service workers. If it's expected and normal then I will say yes. If I have a choice and it's not too annoying then I will let them know.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
She's ordering branzino (typically a $30-$50 dish in LA/NYC) and he's squeamish about paying an extra $3 for his cheeseburger. Probably not the best match financially. That said, what a shitty way to treat someone. At least finish the fucking date and let the poor bastard down gently instead of ghosting him and giving him a complex smh. Jfc I'm glad I'm not dating these days if this kind of treatment is normalized enough to share on social media!

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
She's ordering branzino (typically a $30-$50 dish in LA/NYC) and he's squeamish about paying an extra $3 for his cheeseburger. Probably not the best match financially. That said, what a shitty way to treat someone. At least finish the fucking date and let the poor bastard down gently instead of ghosting him and giving him a complex smh. Jfc I'm glad I'm not dating these days if this kind of treatment is normalized enough to share on social media!

Alas, the thing about social media dating horror stories is that there's an actual economy around making the rare seem commonplace.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of dates don't play out this way.

data

Oct 25, 2017
If the branzino is in that price range, then how much was the burger?

Assuming it was the minimum $30, the meal was $55 according to her post, that's ~$25 for the rest of the meal.

Factor in that there's tax (~10% in NY so ~$5) and tip (I'm going to assume ~15 - 20% so $7.5 - $10), that burger was a minimum $12.5 burger. While not the best match financially, the cheese is basically $3/$12.5 ~= 25%. I'd be squeamish too if I had to pay that much cheese-to-burger ratio wise.

Last edited:

Capricorn

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly scratching my head at the comments saying that he's a weirdo too or that not paying extra for cheese on a first date is somehow a red flag, particularly the way the situation unfolded as described by this girl 🤔

If I got asked I wanted extra cheese on that, I'd naturally ask if it's going to cost me extra, and if it does I probably wouldn't pay for it because at that point I had already planned to order a burger without cheese. Otherwise I'd have asked for extra cheese myself! If it's super cheap then yeah, I may bite, but no fucking way I'd pay 3$ more for an extra item I didn't really want in the first place, that's not being cheap nor weird at all, right...?

Full disclosure, I'll admit I'm pretty cheap so I very rarely order add-ons any way 😅 Only extra patties if I feel I'm not going to hit my protein goals otherwise, or sweet potato fries instead of regular fries if it's not too expensive.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Alas, the thing about social media dating horror stories is that there's an actual economy around making the rare seem commonplace.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of dates don't play out this way.
I'd like to hope so. I hope the vast majority of people are at least treating each other with basic decency even if it's not gonna work out.
If the branzino is in that price range, then how much was the burger?

Assuming it was the minimum $30, the meal was $55 according to her post, that's ~$25 for the rest of the meal.

Factor in that there's tax (~10% in NY so ~$5) and tip (I'm going to assume ~15 - 20% so $7.5 - $10), that burger was $12.5 burger. While not the best match financially, the cheese is basically $3/$12.5 ~= 25%. I'd be squeamish too if I had to pay that much cheese-to-burger ratio wise.
Going by the cheese markup, I could see the burger being as high as in the $15-$20 range depending on what kind of place it is. I somewhat regularly get a $30 burger at this French restaurant I like in LA (one of the best things I've ever tasted ngl). But even if it was a 25% markup, cheese is pretty essential for me (makes a burger twice as good imo) so they'd have me by the balls lol.

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
The dude was a turd and she did the right thing

I honestly can't wrap my head around looking at this story and drawing these conclusions. Dude simply said no to paying $3 for a damn slice of cheese, therefore he's a turd and she did the right thing by getting up in the middle of a date, sneaking away and ghosting him?

Someone please make it make sense.

Some of the people in this thread sound like prime material for dates from hell. I'd honestly rather be single, lmao.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
First date for sure, I wouldn't want to give the impression of being cheap when it's something that small imo. Not to mention the thought of if this is an issue now just think of all the other little things someone would complain about later on in life. I would have at least finished the date though sneaking away is just wrong and says a lot about a person.

But I have to wonder was there no menu to look at before that would have listed all this?! What the heck is a branzino. So glad I don't live in NY.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I honestly can't wrap my head around looking at this story and drawing these conclusions. Dude simply said no to paying $3 for a damn slice of cheese, therefore he's a turd and she did the right thing by getting up in the middle of a date, sneaking away and ghosting him?

Some of the people in this thread sound like prime material for dates from hell. I'd honestly rather be single, lmao.

I don't think he's a "turd" or deserved to be ghosted, but if I was in her place I would assume we would end up fighting a lot about money in a serious relationship

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I don't think he's a "turd" or deserved to be ghosted, but if I was in her place I would assume we would end up fighting a lot about money in a serious relationship

That's fair, but then I'd think it would be good manners to at least finish the date. Or at least ask to pay as soon as you're done eating, not just leave the person waiting like an idiot while you hop on social media to brag about it.

Not that it matters, I think. I have a suspicion that the whole thing is fabricated. Apparently she ghosted and blocked him, then in a follow-up video they allegedly spoke and laughed about it and are going on a second date. The story smells.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's fair, but then I'd think it would be good manners to at least finish the date. Or at least ask to pay as soon as you're done eating, not just leave the person waiting like an idiot while you hop on social media to brag about it.

Yeah that's pretty shitty

data

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to hope so. I hope the vast majority of people are at least treating each other with basic decency even if it's not gonna work out.

Going by the cheese markup, I could see the burger being as high as in the $15-$20 range depending on what kind of place it is. I somewhat regularly get a $30 burger at this French restaurant I like in LA (one of the best things I've ever tasted ngl). But even if it was a 25% markup, cheese is pretty essential for me (makes a burger twice as good imo) so they'd have me by the balls lol.
Oh im sure it was a fancy place, considering they had branzino. I could see how restaraunts would have me by the balls too if it was a favorite addition to a dish that I would want a must've. But man, restaurants should really have the upcharge listed on the menu. The man wanted a burger and was asked how he would like it. Then the waiter suggested an addition likely because that's the usualy practice to try to get them to spend more. Not the waiters fault honestly, probably management to get them to get cheese and pay later without realizing it since he had to ask

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
In the context of a first date, it depends on who is paying.

She's paying for both of us - maybe not.

She pays for herself - yes, but I never return there.

I pay for both of us - definitely yes, because I don't want her to feel guilty for her menu choices while I'm counting dollars. If I can't afford to eat out, then why the hell am I there?

Does any of it matter? Fuck no.

Oct 27, 2017
I now expect to pay $13-18 for a restaurant cheeseburger with fries. That's either a basic double patty smash or a single patty with generous toppings. I understand places make money by up charging little things. It's obvious restaurants make more money off some things than other. Tell me you've never thought about the price of a cocktail…

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Today yes but there was a point in my life where I hated eating at diners (Jersey kid) because everything seemed so expensive compared to the dollar menu. So I get it but at the same time $3 is nothing in NYC.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

If you are going to make a big deal about $3 on a first date you are likely going to be cheap on everything, I get it. For me, a date was a chance to show yourself in the best possible light and I wouldn't let $3 come between me and the meal I wanted.

I didn't watch the video, but from the story alone that is my take on it.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mate that is steep for a slice of potentially shitty cheese. Don't usually have cheese and I can get an extra patty on a burger for the same price. In the moment if I was already there and wanted it I would do it without hesitation but it would be a not coming here again situation.

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
I went on a horrible Tinder date with a woman like this once.
My date didn't sneak out on me. But I wish she would have.

On the date I had she talked about how she scammed the government into offering her low incoming temporary housing. When it came time to pay the bill I offered to pay and she said "no no we can split". Okay.. fine. When I dropped her off she told me I could have the left overs and hands me the doggy bag. Cool! Thanks.

I asked for her number and her response was:

"No we aren't compatible because I'm looking for a provider. You didn't insist on paying for the bill. And you should have refused the left overs and let me have them."
Lmfaoooo, I'm not laughing at you but at that bullshit she was spitting back at you. 😂 Some women out there really do just want to date their own fathers but the Electra Complex isn't too known so no one ever gets to call them on their parental fetish.

How old were ya? I know a "friend of a friend" who's 34 and and still thinks that at her big adult age. 😂

If you are going to make a big deal about $3 on a first date you are likely going to be cheap on everything, I get it. For me, a date was a chance to show yourself in the best possible light and I wouldn't let $3 come between me and the meal I wanted.
We don't even have his side, it's 100% just her side. 😂🤣

Oct 25, 2017
Did the guy not see that cheese was 3 dollars extra and got pissy when he saw it on the bill? Or did he know it was a 3 dollar upcharge and still got pissy when he saw it on the bill?

Like if you order something and don't bother seeing that it's an upcharge then you should just keep quiet and pay the bill, it's 3 dollars lol

Also don't think I'd want to date someone who posts about their dates on social media for everyone to see.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
If a $3 food choice is going to make or break my dating success, I think I'll just stay married.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
There's one final detail that has been left out.

$3 cheese + 9% tax + 20% tip = ~$4 cheese. OP buying the lede.