• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Chris probably could do what he does in any other place of Earth that has "cool" stuff that people are interested in. Could he find partners like he has in Japan, other people to show up in his videos and improve them? Who knows...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all - Rambalac seems to be going through a tough time right now (https://youtube.com/@Rambalac) if you could lend some warm words, then that would be awesome IMO

Thanks for this. I read the community post thanks to you, I hope he'll be okay. I left him a warm message in the Discord and I definitely encourage anyone else who's enjoyed his videos to do the same. I've watched a lot of walkabout videos and you'd think it'd be a simple thing to recreate, but somehow there's no one who can do them like he can.

I hope he finds the other side of whatever he's going through. He deserves happiness just like anyone else.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So- April 1st, CdawgVA is doing the next Cyclethon, this time being 14 days instead of 9 days and with them doing more stuff on it as well.

The last time it happened we made a thread, which was a lot of fun! Not the most active, but still active enough, doubly so during the big moments during said event.

However, I am... not sure about making another thread on it. So, they announced on stream that there would be guests, namely among those, for 2 days of the 14 day event, PewDiePie, would be on there. Now, I probably don't need to say that they are still a controversial figure, I don't know what they do these days as I don't follow them on any socials, only ever hearing about them from typically TrashTaste folks.

For greater context, everyone's got their blind spots, everyone who has watched Connor knows how he leans on stuff, but clearly PewDiePie is within that blind spot.

Obviously, no one is judging anyone for not watching due to that, however I am wondering if I should still make the thread when the event happens or not this time?

Oct 26, 2017
So- April 1st, CdawgVA is doing the next Cyclethon, this time being 14 days instead of 9 days and with them doing more stuff on it as well.

The last time it happened we made a thread, which was a lot of fun! Not the most active, but still active enough, doubly so during the big moments during said event.

However, I am... not sure about making another thread on it. So, they announced on stream that there would be guests, namely among those, for 2 days of the 14 day event, PewDiePie, would be on there. Now, I probably don't need to say that they are still a controversial figure, I don't know what they do these days as I don't follow them on any socials, only ever hearing about them from typically TrashTaste folks.

For greater context, everyone's got their blind spots, everyone who has watched Connor knows how he leans on stuff, but clearly PewDiePie is within that blind spot.

Obviously, no one is judging anyone for not watching due to that, however I am wondering if I should still make the thread when the event happens or not this time?
I mean, I'll skip the PewDiePie episodes but I like Connor so I wouldn't skip the whole series for a couple episodes.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which is fair, I just wonder if the thread could be considered: "platforming him" so to speak.
People could def derail the thread saying it is, but that would depend entirely about how the convo in the thread turns out. As long as it does not end up becoming the sole convo, it could be fine i think.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
People could def derail the thread saying it is, but that would depend entirely about how the convo in the thread turns out. As long as it does not end up becoming the sole convo, it could be fine i think.

Yeah. Ultimately, It's not that I don't want to say: "Hey you can't talk about it", I just worry it will become the sole discussion when it is an event supporting a good cause, even if there is one not-so-good element of it that thankfully is only in a small portion of the overall event.

I guess I'll still make it when it's about to begin, mention it in the OP so peeps are at least aware and if we know when they will be showing up on it then have an idea when folks can continue to watch again when they leave.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclethon started a few hours ago

Made a thread for it! :D

www.resetera.com

Cyclethon 3 - 14 Day Event of Cycling across Japan for Charity! (March 31st (EST/PST), April 1st (JST) to April 14th)

Made a thread for Cyclethon 2 and it was fun, so thought I would do it again this year! Background: In 2022, Connor aka CdawgVA along with Chris Broad aka Abroad in Japan, did a 500km 'Cyclethon' event on Twitch across Japan that they raised $319,857.87 for the Immune Deficiency Foundation...

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Made a thread for it! :D

www.resetera.com

Cyclethon 3 - 14 Day Event of Cycling across Japan for Charity! (March 31st (EST/PST), April 1st (JST) to April 14th)

Made a thread for Cyclethon 2 and it was fun, so thought I would do it again this year! Background: In 2022, Connor aka CdawgVA along with Chris Broad aka Abroad in Japan, did a 500km 'Cyclethon' event on Twitch across Japan that they raised $319,857.87 for the Immune Deficiency Foundation...
Thanks!

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Icarian

May 9, 2018
So about Tokyo Lens, I had heard he was pretty damn aggressive and awful on his video's comments, but hadn't seen an example until today: https://www.reddit.com/r/cringepics/s/4ePmmmk97Z
Yikes.

I've watched some video of his in the past, is this a common occurrence? Does he get hate often to make him flip the hell out like this for a very mild and reasonable criticism?

On a personal note, I've strongly fallen off watching all these big "Foreigner living in Japan" Youtubers a few years ago, many of them seem to be living in very isolated groups of English speakers (at least going by their content) and give off a being in a permanent vacation kind of vibe and all their content starts to blur together.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Some of his content is really good, but haven't watched much of him since I saw something a while ago accusing him of making a sock puppet account to harass other Jvlogger's videos.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
I've seen about Tokyo lens doing that a few times too, really bad. I did enjoy his tiny apartment series but after seeing some of those replies I've stopped watching him.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow! That's crazy.

He comes off as extremely inauthentic in his videos. He always sounds like he's acting. It's a shame because I like those tiny apartment videos with the woman who is an architecture grad.

Are we talking about the same Norm? Because he always sounds nice in his videos, and he has responded kindly to several of my comments. He interacts a lot with his viewers, maybe he's just sick of the constant bullshit.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Are we talking about the same Norm? Because he always sounds nice in his videos, and he has responded kindly to several of my comments. He interacts a lot with his viewers, maybe he's just sick of the constant bullshit.
Sadly, yes. Dude has been very prickly to some commenters for a good while now.

Personally for me, unless the topic speaks to something I need info on (for example, TDR Explorer's vids) then I usually stick to walking videos these days (like Rambalac) or just watch Japanese videos instead (for example, this channel, which reviews neighbourhoods in Tokyo - or this channel, which highlights nice date/cafe/lunch spots around Tokyo)

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly, yes. Dude has been very prickly to some commenters for a good while now.

Personally for me, unless the topic speaks to something I need info on (for example, TDR Explorer's vids) then I usually stick to walking videos these days (like Rambalac) or just watch Japanese videos instead (for example, this channel, which reviews neighbourhoods in Tokyo - or this channel, which highlights nice date/cafe/lunch spots around Tokyo)
I love Rambalac and Fujiwara Life. I never heard of Tokyo SumuSumu. Thank you for the suggestion!

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I love Rambalac and Fujiwara Life. I never heard of Tokyo SumuSumu. Thank you for the suggestion!
No problem - happy to help!

Izunushi - has some great "camping & drinking with.." videos.
KataKata Chefs - do some great anime-themed cooking videos.
MonchanLife - whilst not flashy at all, does some great reviews of all the 4 star+ hotels around Japan, with hotel-walking sections, then a long review section.
SoloTravelJapan - does some good videos on (mostly) overnight coach and ferry transportation around Japan.

All the above are great for Japanese listening and reading experience - also all are engaging and informative (at least to me).

Please feel free to share any other similar channels that you may follow!