Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
"The only thing that's different is me; I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years! And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat, and I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place!"

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly thought the tweet would be deleted when I woke up this morning.

Defamation laws here are no joke.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
If you got evidence then talk your shit to the authorities
Quite the claim to be making casually

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I get why Naka gets a lot of hate. Infamously difficult to work with, petty, mean spirited. BUT, he's still a childhood hero to me. Having been the main programmer for the original Sonic games and NiGHTS and then the head of Sonic team during their golden years, I'll always respect him for that. I credit him, and other Sega devs during that time, for inspiring me to become a game developer, so I'll always admire him for his professional work. I'd say we don't really know what happened between him and square. It seemed like he filed a lawsuit against them after Balan, and as retaliation someone within the company tried to ruin his entire life. I'm not saying Naka is innocent of what he's accused of, but I guess I'm saying..I don't really care 🫠 Call me a fan boy #TeamNaka

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Ok so I get why Naka gets a lot of hate. Infamously difficult to work with, petty, mean spirited. BUT, he's still a childhood hero to me. Having been the main programmer for the original Sonic games and NiGHTS and then the head of Sonic team during their golden years, I'll always respect him for that. I credit him, and other Sega devs during that time, for inspiring me to become a game developer, so I'll always admire him for his professional work. I'd say we don't really know what happened between him and square. It seemed like he filed a lawsuit against them after Balan, and as retaliation someone within the company tried to ruin his entire life. I'm not saying Naka is innocent of what he's accused of, but I guess I'm saying..I don't really care 🫠 Call me a fan boy #TeamNaka

shadow-the-hedgehog-4e261f985add2.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It was probably the producer, head of marketing, head of sound, managing director, and/or human resources that had it out for him.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

As a developer how can you be team the dude that tried to erase the work of another developer and talked about how the level design for classic sonic was a point less job?

View: https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1544235117073166337?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1544235117073166337%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Was Naka every really good? Guy was a programmer with aspirations of being a designer/director really right? How much of the success of the games he worked on is due to him and not despite him? how much did he to do cause pso? ps4?

Always though guys like Yu Suzuki were miles ahead of him.
I mean, yeah. He definitely tries to take more credit than he deserves but let's not pretend he didn't also play a big role in the games he worked on either. We can criticize the man while also accepting he played an important role in the Sonic series.

And on a similar note...
This is such a weird post. You can appreciate Yuji Naka's work and the impact it had on your life without trying to justify or excuse the giant mountain of shitty things he's done.

Feb 6, 2024
I made the decision over 10-12 years ago to not sign up for any social media platforms(aside from a forum or two lol)and stuff like this and some of the other things I see you all post is a good reminder that I made a good choice. So much drama on these platforms like all the time. I always want to ask people is it worth it?

Jul 18, 2020
What an absolute LAD. I have a real soft spot for people being shitty (on stuff that isn't actually harmful) while being oblivious to it and generally tone deaf. It's like a shitpost version of Ozymandias but played straight and IRL.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah. He definitely tries to take more credit than he deserves but let's not pretend he didn't also play a big role in the games he worked on either. We can criticize the man while also accepting he played an important role in the Sonic series.

And on a similar note...

This is such a weird post. You can appreciate Yuji Naka's work and the impact it had on your life without trying to justify or excuse the giant mountain of shitty things he's done.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not trying to justify his actions. If he really was as terrible of a person as the stories make him out to be, then I have no sympathies with what happened to him. However, I still can't ignore the huge impact he had during his heyday. I admire him for his work and talent.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not trying to justify his actions. If he really was as terrible of a person as the stories make him out to be, then I have no sympathies with what happened to him. However, I still can't ignore the huge impact he had during his heyday. I admire him for his work and talent.
So why try to spin what happened with Square Enix as noone knowing what really happened and someone trying to ruin his life? He was convicted for insider trading. Do you think someone pointed a gun to his head to do that? He also tried to sue a bunch of people involved with Balan, some of which were people he worked with way back in Sonic days. What evidence is there that everyone is likely the asshole and he the victim?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
According to Sega top brass that worked with him (including Nagoshi and current PSO team), Naka was a genius, but very unreasonable.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest/Enix producers don't have a very good reputation so I'd not be surprised if that one's actually true.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to hear more about this. In what sense do you mean?
Take that as rumors as I'm no insider, but from hearing/reading from Jp developers, Enix (especially pre-merger but not only) was reputed for its bullish attitude towards contractors. DQ producers in particular were using the brand power to impose harsh conditions to studios that were not in power to refuse or fight against it. Recently, Yoshiki Okamoto (ex-Capcom/Game Republic) talked on his Youtube channel about how one almost got GR bankrupt by proposing the studio to work on a spin-off then cancelling it midway, refusing to pay anything because there was no signed contract (legally nothing wrong but certainly very shitty). And I heard it wasn't the only developer to get this treatment. He didn't name the producer but some argues they're either Ryutaro Ichimura or Yu Miyake judging by their positions at the time and their own personal reputation. I think Yokoo Taro has also been openly critical of Enix in the past. The funny thing is that, on other hand, Yuji Horii is said to be extremely nice.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Reminder that the narrative that Yuji Naka was trying to push was that everyone he worked with hated him and was plotting against him

Like that's how he tried to make himself look favourable, by saying nobody he worked with liked him.
You know the crazy thing about this?
Dude is such a piece of work that this actually might be the truth.
Just imagine like literally EVERYONE who worked with him were approached by someone who was like "you know how THAT dude is a piece of shit, let's make sure NO ONE EVER has to work with him EVER AGAIN" and they hated him so much that they all agreed on the spot.
Can you begin to imagine that?
Have you ever met anyone that EVERYONE agrees he's a piece of shit that needs to be taken out back, I mean personally.
I don't and in some cases I'm the guy saying "come on, he's not that bad!"
It's hilarious in a sad way.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
To be fair, Balan Wonderland is a much better sounding title
I know I am in the vast minority, but I actually like Balan Wonderworld a lot more than Balan Wonderland as a title. I jus tlike the sound of Wonderworld better than the more traditional Wonderland. That is the one positive thing I have to say about that game or Yuji Naka.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i get why he gets co-creator of sonic as lead programmer, but the design being oshima's & the way he was overshadowed for so long never sat right with me

Ooooff...

Why doesn't this attempt surprise me? Such a shame.

total aside, but your avatar & banner are still some of my favorite throwbacks on the site, i need to use that one or bring back my old shenmoo defense force one

For those unfamiliar, here's a good video that goes into what a dick Yuji Naka is. He goes into it in the section entitled "tell him to fuck off"

View: https://youtu.be/lixTJBSJTzY?t=824

(When this was posted a lot of Sonic fans were wary because of the title, but it's actually positive on Sonic Adventure.)

yeah, fair - in general, sonic bashing is as common as it is stale - but you're right, that's a good video

Was Naka every really good? Guy was a programmer with aspirations of being a designer/director really right? How much of the success of the games he worked on is due to him and not despite him? how much did he to do cause pso? ps4?

Always though guys like Yu Suzuki were miles ahead of him.

in the day, what he did with those first person dungeons in phantasy star 1 was absolute magic, and sonic as well. i wanna say moving up lead programmers into management wasn't uncommon for that early age of japanese development? he absolutely was a control freak at that point & maybe the position of power brought out the worst in him though

I think he's been in that arc for a while now

yeah it's a decades-long arc, really just a role he got comfy with a while back

Yes exactly. To me, peak Sonic team was Sonic 2, nights, and the Dreamcast era (PSO, Sonic Adventure).

i don't think i've ever seen someone argue those years weren't their peak, yeah - i tend to favor 3/knuckles but we were absolutely spoiled up till the dreamcast's end

According to Sega top brass that worked with him (including Nagoshi and current PSO team), Naka was a genius, but very unreasonable.

ohh i'd never read anything specific that nagoshi had said about him, that's interesting

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul

It was his nearly-arcade perfect port of Ghouls and Ghosts and his producer/programmer role in Phantasy Star 2 that made me want to get a Genesis so badly in the early days of the console. He was a mega-talented programmer that truly helped Sega get a massive footing in the West, and he was one of the first game creators/programmers that I knew the name of. But even back then, gaming magazines would mention that had a reputation of being "difficult" or "egotistical". I was young, and didn't really pay his personal life much mind.

These days though? It's just sad. It's one thing to be a cocky 20 something with a ton of talent, and little life experience, but it's entirely another thing to be a father in your 50s, and still act this way. It seems impossible for him to recognize his own faults, and move on. He's got a real narcissistic streak in him.