phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
For all of you begging, Nintendo will never make a game that looks like this. It's stunning, but doesn't fit with their visual identity or art direction/design. At all.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Yeah, I agree with the people who've said Nintendo's art direction is much stronger than what we see in this video. What I do like about it though is the amount of vegetation and how overgrown the village looks; that's something I wouldn't mind seeing from Nintendo. I'm not sure it needs this kind of realistic style though.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it so overgrown like some abandoned village? This Man need to hire a gardener.

DemonFox

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know... It looks impressive graphically but this is nothing like Zelda. How should I put it... I won't say it has no art but... It's kind of missing the heart or soul. Like it's missing what's making a Zelda game a Zelda game.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Awful.

All 100 frames of that entire video was proof that "shiny graphics" isn't the be all end all. There is a delicate balance of art style and performance management that goes in to a game so it doesn't run like shit while still looking good.
This video is a master class in ignoring every single principle of game design and 3D animation.

I'd be curious to know what and if the creator actually made anything themselves or if they just took everything from existing marketplace assets and arranged them to the map of the village.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I've always wondered

Was "Nintendo, hire this man!" ever something said unironically in response to these kinds of videos? Like, is there a demographic out there that uncritically thinks Nintendo's games would be better looking like these?
Of course. That's how memes like this get started. Making fun of people who have certain opinions.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I've always wondered

Was "Nintendo, hire this man!" ever something said unironically in response to these kinds of videos? Like, is there a demographic out there that uncritically thinks Nintendo's games would be better looking like these?

You could find a handful in this thread only lol there are people posting here, on Resetera, saying Nintendo doesn't make games that look like that because they want to save money.

Imagine what you could find in random YouTube comments.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Link just looks so out of place in such a realistic world. I feel like he'd need a complete redesign for this to even have a shot at working, but really I'm not sure OoT is really suited to this sort of high-fidelity look, period.

Nov 1, 2017
Ya'll are unreasonably salty over a tiny fan project by an amateur artist who doesn't know much about coding. Link looks out of place but the environment is really nice, in any other situation this would be a moment for him to get words of encouragement. Here's another piece by them

There's clearly spots that need work but going through their upload history you can see that they've been putting in work.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Since there are so many people responding to my joke, I just don't see Nintendo "HIRING THIS MAN!" given how underwhelming their visuals are. Art style means nothing when BotW has assets and animations that make it feel like an early PS3 game (with similar framerate dips to boot)

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'd be curious to know what and if the creator actually made anything themselves or if they just took everything from existing marketplace assets and arranged them to the map of the village.

Probably this. It doesn't mean it didn't take some time and effort but I really cant see the unironically "hire this man" posts point of view.

This literally looks like a template-village with sunset light with SOME custom Zelda assets and 90% of default UE5 assets.

Things like these, how people perceive "quality", "art" and overall taste are very confusing from time to time. You would assume there was baseline on how much effort it takes for cohesiveness, ability to have good silhouettes, etc and the impact-differences of good art direction.

Yet here we are.

I'm beginning to appreciate Halo Infinite flat shadows-lightning a bit more now, maybe it was as an artistic decision after all?

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020
Since there are so many people responding to my joke, I just don't see Nintendo "HIRING THIS MAN!" given how underwhelming their visuals are. Art style means nothing when BotW has assets and animations that make it feel like an early PS3 game (with similar framerate dips to boot)
LMAO. This is copypasta material.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
LMAO. This is copypasta material.

Whenever I start up BoTW, I think of a Stone Temple Pilots song

botw_cb_daruks_song_stone_monument_0006_Layer_2.jpg

"
It isn't you, isn't me
Search for things that you can't see
Going blind out of reach
Somewhere in the vasoline"

So maybe there are good visuals hidden under the vaseline filter the game uses ?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
environment looks decent, although not performant at all.
IMO theres too much grass as well, theres a few things on the ground he tries to show that look awful because you can hardly see it through the grass
If he actually did all that environment art and didn't find it on the unreal store, then yes its well done.

Everything that moves though is not great at all, I'm assuming the animations etc are just grabbed off the Unreal store, as they really suck lol
Also Navi looks worse than on the n64, which I guess is a bit of a nitpick, but someone has to show just some of the reasons why Nintendo will not "Hire this man"

Edit: Also yes lol, he seems to have left the FPS camera bob in there, surely Unreal has a default 3rd person camera option right? (Unreal is one I haven't used very much)

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not camera work, that's for sure.
The Legend Of Zelda: Curse of the Drunk Camera Man. "WARNING: May cause nausea and/or vomiting during gameplay"

Also it's well done otherwise. By that I mean not as a Zelda game, just as a scene that's cool. It's waaaay harder than people think to make proper art style. I mean even Nintendo get's hated on in some of their Zelda games for the art style.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Twilight Princess does realistic graphics right, you need some art style direction not just slap on real textures

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Some pretty harsh opinions on some fan that's made a little village in UE5 lol.
Does it have the art direction of a real Zelda game? No. But good on you for noticing that and pointing it out.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I watched this for about 3 seconds and the wobbly camera made me sick as shit. Fire this man and anyone who thinks wobbly cameras are a good idea.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Appreciate the effort here, but no fucking thanks. This doesn't retain anything Zelda at all. Also, that camera shake is awful.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks OP, I totally wanted to get massively motion sick today.

No joke, that was a viscerally unpleasant experience... I need to take some ginger pills.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to hate on this person for putting a lot of hours into this, but I'll just say that shiny graphics don't make a Zelda.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Pretty impressive for a fan made demo.

Yeah sure it doesn't have the art direction and frame pacing... because it's a fan made demo.

But that is realistically the kind of visuals that are possible if Nintendo went in a high end x86 APU route like it's competitors. The hybrid mobile makes much more business sense, that level of detail is probably 10-15 years out with the limitations of mobile APUs and battery draw.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017

This is by no means flawless, but by far the best "HD" remake of anything Ocarina of Time that I've seen.