Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Eh, I think that most old games either simply have not stood the test of time, or have been far superseded by their newer counterparts. Heck, even SMB3's or Mario World's level design pales in comparison to the best 2D platformers these days, such as Celeste.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started gaming on a C64 that was eventually replaced by a MS-DOS based PC.
I don't miss the clunky, long c64 loading times nor the constant extended and expanded DOS memory bs either. I also don't miss most of the early 3D games tbh.
Still love some SID and Roland mt32 music though.

Aug 12, 2019
Some games just age better than others and some just don't hold up to scrutiny anymore. The Atari 2600 has some wonderfully fun titles, but they're on average not going to last you very long and the PS1 has wonderful titles as well, but many of them were made with antiquated control schemes and prior to 3D gaming being defined, so I don't begrudge anyone for not enjoying them. Especially if you play some of these titles on the original hardware, it's a miserable experience coming from the modern gaming standards (Goldeneyee 007 is a good if aging game, Goldeneye 007 on the original N64 is truly miserable to play between the lack of a second analogue stick and a processor that just cannot keep up).

But there are tons of games that have aged very well, especially on the SNES/Genesis.

You just have to take each situation individually like in most cases.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
From the replies in this thread you can see a lot of people over many generations not enjoying early videogames. Which is a shame because art isn't something that should be enjoyed only in its contemporary form. The original Super Mario Bros on NES is still fun to play. It may not control like a modern 2D platformer, but it's like adjusting to any other game. Take the game for what it is and enjoy it on those terms. Especially in this age were save states are officially supported on so many vintage games. This goes for pretty much all art too. With is just a little extra time put in to understand the context of a piece (a quick google search) and you can appreciate all eras. No need to be so dismissive of older games.
While I agree with your overall point about being open to at least try to get into older games, you have to consider that the games keep on coming. More and more consoles will eventually lose their status as the *big* retro consoles as the zoomers and young millennials start to get nostalgic for 6th and 7th gen consoles.

A subset of gamers will always look back to the earlier generations, just like how movie enthusiasts watch silent and/or black and white films. It's just not going to be the mainstream retro movement going forward.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hypothetically, if your family weren't able to afford a console when you were growing up and your first console was in your teens or young adulthood, are you automatically downgraded to the next age group in this context?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
of course you're not going to appreciate problems you've never come across.

I see plenty of young people playing retro games at AGDQ/SGDQ, and they seem to appreciate them, so maybe it's just a case of access to those games. There's a lot more media vying for kids time these days too.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the flip side, memory cards do suck but imagine being a kid growing up with all this dlc and freemium crap. Way worse.

Imagine growing up in an era with a shit ton of quality games you can play for free online with your friends, no matter the device you own be it even just a smartphone. Sounds awful. I'd much rather pay almost a hundred dollars for absurdly hard NES games that were designed to make the two-hours long experience last much longer through bad game design.

(it wasnt better before)

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Revisiting the PS1 is hard even for me, and I grew up with it. There are a few exceptions but that era simply hasn't aged well.

As for older stuff.. I can't do 8-bit games at all. They just look too old and simplistic. :x

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That's the nature of things. I'm not a zoomer. I'm a late has hell millenial. So this may not mean much. But there are older games even I have very little interest in playing. While yes , I myself have gone back to play a lot old games for curiosities sake. I don't really blame people who dont. Their interests lie elsewhere. Those who wanna go appreciate them will. Those who wont...wont.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You "old folks" and your memory cards. You're still wet behind the ears if you didn't have to write down a save code on a piece of paper.
I remember when we didn't have saves. You lost your high score when you shut the system off.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm fine with not appreciating older games, because game design has kept improving since then. What I do find unfortunate is when they can't appreciate modern games with retro aesthetics like Shovel Knight or Into the Breach, or even 2D games in general like Hollow Knight or Cuphead.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Most PS1 games look horrific today visually so it's hard to appreciate them. The N64 made out relatively fine and the issue is just controls with games like Goldeneye but I can't think of a PS1 game that I can still look at.

PS2 is good outside of the GTA games. PS3 early games (outside of LBP and MGS4) up until 2009/2010 aged poorly for the most part but are still playable, just not good looking.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like im always in danger of forwarding my own experiences as some sort of gospel and being so outside of the context that informs ppl younger than me that i end up doing something horrendous

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
But Gen Z, particularly the older ones, did grow up on PS2, PS3, and 360 though.

The oldest Zoomers still we're born in the 90s.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Now you know how it feels to be one of those people that grew up with Hunt the Wumpus and Mystery House.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I mean, I'm a millennial and I think games before the Genesis/SNES are not really great, if not borderline unplayable.

So the kiddos thinking games before their era aren't fun is understandable, even though SNES games are great (and I didn't even grow up with an SNES, I had a Genesis)

Oct 25, 2017
This is just a bad post. People born in Gen Z (97-x) don't suddenly not respect older games if they're into this hobby

I was born in '98 and grew up with a Gameboy, N64, and PS1 alongside the PS2 and GC, and I know many people who grew up with exactly the same consoles. And yet you claim that people my age who were going crazy over the PS3/360 when they launched can't even respect those games?

This would be different if you came out here arguing that no one my age respects the Commodore 64 or NES or something, but the 360/PS3 era? Lmao stop

AnnoyinSwami

Oct 30, 2017
I was born in 98, so I think I fit under "zoomer". OP you do know that most people my age grew up with a ps3 or 360 right? I remember playing ps2 games before I had a 360 as well. This entire thread just seems like shitty misinformed opinions for the sake of bait.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I think Billie Eilish has the individuality and talent that millennials always wanted but could never achieve due to following cookie cutter trends like emo and hipster

How can you even say this when her entire appearance is based off the emo trend from the 2000s and her personality is straight up "manic internet girl" also from the 2000s.

She's a great artist, but come on.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Zoomer here.

First off, I remember literally everything you listed in the OP. Old Zoomers experienced all of that.
Second, I completely disagree. I think the bar to entry to playing older games has been lower than ever before. There are plenty of Zoomers that take advantage ol that and go back and play those games (at least the ones worth visiting).

Not everyone does, though. And that's fine. There are people who only play Fortnite and (insert player's preferred sport) 2020 in the exact same way there were people who only played Modern Warfare 2 and (insert player's preferred sport) 2010 a decade ago. You don't have to experience "the classics" to get a lot of enjoyment out of the newest a medium has to offer. You don't have to watch Casablanca or Citizen Kane before you see Avengers: Endgame. Let people enjoy video games how they want to, christ

Also, older Zoomers grew up with both the 6th and 7th generations, what the fuck are you talking about, you're writing about them as if they were before our time. My first console was a PS1, I've played plenty of its games. I owned a PS2, a GC, a Wii, a PS3, and a 360 when they were current gen. I've since gone back and bought an N64, a Saturn, and a Dreamcast.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm glad the old days are over, though at times I wish some people had experienced some of the awful PS1 games I did. Anthem and Fallout 76 are the bad games now, I would have killed growing up to have Anthem be the worst thing I played, but no I had to play shit like this.

1309393-perfectweapon_us_ps_front.jpg

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In my days everything was better... sure sure.

I grow up with ps1 and mostly never go back to replay those games, cause there so many new games coming out all the time, and i can't even keep up with that. Also most old games are just terrible to play nowdays.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
GenX gamer here. I'm struggling to see how dealing with all of the bullshit of past video game generations equates to "don't appreciate older titles". Cheat codes, memory cards, and magazines with physical demos all sound like needless hassle when you can download entire libraries of a video game console in a few seconds.

I don't know about appreciation of games, but I do know that people will play a ton of older games if you present it well. I have a RetroPie in a bartop cabinet and it is a big hit across all of the generations that come to my house.

Oct 29, 2017
Games are getting better and better. I find it even hard to go back to early era 360 FPS like Singularity and Prey because they just don't control well or have satisfying shooting like a lot of FPS these days.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I grew up with the wii. I'm also tired of old people that dismiss all the weird and experimental nintendo games that came on that era and the ds/3ds one, and that complain about their 20+ year old franchise not coming back and how that's the fall of the company or something. Because only one type of experience matters, and is the one i grew up with.

See? We both can generalize. Don't do that.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
My cousins do (in high school/college) but they have older brothers that are my age so they inherited/played a lot of old games growing up.

I haven't talked to my other cousin about it who's in middle school to get his opinion, but he's into Nintendo and plays indie games on eShop so I imagine he would appreciate older stuff too.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'm a millennial (1995) and my little brother is a zoomer (2002) and you're absolutely right.

Somehow I'm able to enjoy and appreciate games before my time such as SOTN, DOOM and DOOM II while he couldn't even get into freaking F.E.A.R. & Portal 1 at 1080p 60fps which is better than what his base PS4 offers (1080p 30fps)

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
OP, you remind me of my stepdad who used to be disappointed that I didn't enjoy the jumbled indiscernable mess of giant square pixels he called video games (Atari) and that I wanted a NES like my friend had.

I mean, what's the point of your post? You expect people to recess into the stone age just... because? People will always gravitate towards newer and better things. As you grow older and slower, you just can't seem to find appreciation for what newer generations like. It's the way of life. Get used to it and move on instead of staying hooked on the past.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
If it's SNES or before I 90% of the time don't give a shit lol.
Big reason why so many indie titles just aren't of interest to me, that isn't a period of gaming I care about going back to.

Yeah thats me. I am 37 now, been gaming since the NES and the original Game Boy. But I do not ever feel the need to revisit anything pre-16bit. Give me my big, colorful and expressive SNES characters, not abstract junk.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine growing up in an era with a shit ton of quality games you can play for free online with your friends, no matter the device you own be it even just a smartphone. Sounds awful. I'd much rather pay almost a hundred dollars for absurdly hard NES games that were designed to make the two-hours long experience last much longer through bad game design.

(it wasnt better before)
NES games? Sure. However since OP stretched all the way to GameCube, PS2 and Xbox that generation of games wasn't expensive at all, second hand pricing was actually fair and games were a decent length. Also, mobile games had potential but most mobile games are borderline gambling on how they try to fleece consumers (especially children).

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Games are getting better and more detailed, why would I care about your struggles like bad controls and memory limitation? I want to enjoy the game.
I can appreciate certain games on the PS1, but it's the PS2 - barring awful FPS camera controls - where I feel like I could play a lot from that era.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Eh, I think that most old games either simply have not stood the test of time, or have been far superseded by their newer counterparts. Heck, even SMB3's or Mario World's level design pales in comparison to the best 2D platformers these days, such as Celeste.
Those old games have more replayability, though...Celeste is awesome. But I probably won't play through it again. I've played Super Mario World and SMB3 countless times.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone share your nostalgia for inconvenience if they never experienced it at the time?
…or at all? I don't think many people miss that stuff.