Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Ok like so what's the difference between this and something like that Korean top down game whatsit called? Is it just the darker world? The blood? The demons?

Lost Ark is essentially just a Korean-style MMO from a top down perspective. It controls like an ARPG, but it's not really one in the same way that Diablo or Path of Exile or Grim Dawn is. Loot is mostly just pure stats with no modifiers (+int, +strength). Most gear that drops doesn't have new visuals to it. Most of the focus is on reaching endgame and then doing the raids, similar to other MMOs. I don't know if this will make sense, but in Lost Ark you progress your character so you can do higher tier raids. In Diablo it's the reverse, you do content so you can progress your character.

Diablo is mostly presented as a single player game but with a more connected world that supports grouping up and MMO aspects, but it's not the emphasis unlike Lost Ark. In Diablo you're getting lots of different gear with modifiers (+2 to X skill, dashing makes icicles pop up, etc.) and looks and have a lot of ability to customize your build. You can probably make any build work if you're clever about the stats you focus and what you invest skill points into.

So they both pull from the ARPG template, but with very different things they emphasize.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
You can probably make any build work if you're clever about the stats you focus and what you invest skill points into.
ahhh~ build variety (through gear too?) ! I like that.

I like that a lot.

hmmmm.... 🤔

no... no... I already bought a game just a few days ago... No vex, NO!

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Damn near every single developer that has spoken up at Acti Blizz have asked people to not boycott games because it does nothing other than hurt the rank-and-file. I know people like to think voting with their wallets when it comes to social issues around games are concerned helps, but with AAA games we've heard very little in the way of success stories about boycotts doing anything other than encouraging layoffs.

You gonna pay the salary of the people laid off because a game sold poorly?

The thing here to remember is if one did want to boycott, that it will always come with pain for somebody. It's folks' choice to boycott but saying devs will be hurt by this is fairly obvious as the point is to cause pain to the company. Companies are full of folks working for them. The only way things will change is if enough folks do vote with their wallets and, yes, it will come with pain for others, sadly.

I don't think folks are inherently saved from layoffs by high sales numbers either. We are seeing tech layoffs in companies with record profits.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
ahhh~ build variety (through gear too?) ! I like that.

I like that a lot.

hmmmm.... 🤔

no... no... I already bought a game just a few days ago... No vex, NO!

Yeah most builds will only really start to sing in late game when you're getting legendaries that add powerful modifiers to gear.

Like Icicle Shard will now pierce through 7 enemies. You then combine that with a different legendary where if you pierce 5 enemies you get mana back. You combine that with a Unique piece of gear where enemies dying to frost damage have a chance to explode into a frost nova. Tweak some talents so your abilities apply freezing and icicle shard ricochets on each hit, and suddenly you're spitting icicle shards like a gattling gun and causing entire packs of mobs to explode.

But then you get a different piece of gear that completely tweaks some other ability you're not using, and your mind goes wild with how you can create a build around it.

It's addictive and satisfying!

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
$70 game with $25 skins in the shop.

Not a single person makes a fuss about this highway robbery lol.
Lmao you clearly haven't been in any Diablo threads because people (usually who aren't playing it and don't plan to) can't stop fussing about it

It's cosmetics. They're totally optional and a nonissue but feel free to care about it constantly if it makes you feel good lol

Wonder what the actual sales number is, these metrics are opaque as fuck

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah most builds will only really start to sing in late game when you're getting legendaries that add powerful modifiers to gear.

Like Icicle Shard will now pierce through 7 enemies. You then combine that with a different legendary where if you pierce 5 enemies you get mana back. You combine that with a Unique piece of gear where enemies dying to frost damage have a chance to explode into a frost nova. Tweak some talents so your abilities apply freezing and icicle shard ricochets on each hit, and suddenly you're spitting icicle shards like a gattling gun and causing entire packs of mobs to explode.

But then you get a different piece of gear that completely tweaks some other ability you're not using, and your mind goes wild with how you can create a build around it.

It's addictive and satisfying!
No, gaming hand! NO! Down! I will not give in!!!!

Yield, beast! Stop it!

I SAID STOP.

Phew. Sorry bout that. My gaming hand starts getting anxious whenever it senses cool character customization.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I love Diablo but £70 for a game is insane, let alone what the price for the early access version was. I can wait.

Edit: Also all the monetisation is horrendous. They should have scrapped the store and made the stuff in the store unique unlocks for achieving things not sell extremely expensive shop items. Having fun rewards is thing of the pass now though when they can just charge for it instead. I'll never understand how people supported this model to get to where we are now and even less how people defend it.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Lmao you clearly haven't been in any Diablo threads because people (usually who aren't playing it and don't plan to) can't stop fussing about it

It's cosmetics. They're totally optional and a nonissue but feel free to care about it constantly if it makes you feel good lol

Wonder what the actual sales number is, these metrics are opaque as fuck
Some F2P games get raked through the coals and get whole threads made about their monetization when this occurs. I'm not seeing that with D4.

It's a good game, but i find that funny. Even if they're easy to ignore that's just not ok. You seem oddly defensive over this, why is that? Should i not be repulsed by $25 mtx in a $70 game?

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Damn near every single developer that has spoken up at Acti Blizz have asked people to not boycott games because it does nothing other than hurt the rank-and-file. I know people like to think voting with their wallets when it comes to social issues around games are concerned helps, but with AAA games we've heard very little in the way of success stories about boycotts doing anything other than encouraging layoffs.

You gonna pay the salary of the people laid off because a game sold poorly?
But we should be putting way less weight on people currently working at Activision blizzard than the people who've already been pushed out of the company by the toxic culture, and how they would best be supported. schere hasn't even tried to do that angle yet just kind of shows how much he doesn't care about what actually happens as long as its controversial.

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
I'm not depriving myself of something I enjoy because someone else is a piece of shit.

I have no problem if you want to boycott it, we all have our own lines in the sand, but acting like people playing diablo 4 are some sort of evil people is goofy as hell. I can't even take it seriously.

Its our "word of the moment" that lost all meaning. See also: gatekeeping / gaslight / problematic

Resetera and performative moral superiority, name a more iconic duo

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Some F2P games get raked through the coals and get whole threads made about their monetization when this occurs. I'm not seeing that with D4.

It's a good game, but i find that funny. Even if they're easy to ignore that's just not ok. You seem oddly defensive over this, why is that? Should i not be repulsed by $25 mtx in a $70 game?
Have you been in any of the d4 thread before release? It was nonstop whining over micro transactions. The same conversations would loop back on themselves. Time became a flat circle. Nothing matters anymore. We're trapped in another loop now. Look what you've done! We can't get out!

Resetera and performative moral superiority, name a more iconic duo
6CPBosx.gif

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Have you been in any of the d4 thread before release? It was nonstop whining over micro transactions. The same conversations would loop back on themselves. Time became a flat circle. Nothing matters anymore. We're trapped in another loop now. Look what you've done! We can't get out!

6CPBosx.gif
Most of what I saw was gushing over the game. But i haven't been in every thread since I've been busy just playing through Zelda.

But stuff like this doesn't just stay in the threads. Like i said, some other games get a front page thread dismantling this stuff. I was surprised that there wasn't a thread specifically about it.

I didn't know about any of this till i booted up the game last night.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Most of what I saw was gushing over the game. But i haven't been in every thread since I've been busy just playing through Zelda.

But stuff like this doesn't just stay in the threads. Like i said, some other games get a front page thread dismantling this stuff. I was surprised that there wasn't a thread specifically about it.

I didn't know about any of this till i booted up the game last night.
Gotcha. Not much in the OT about it right now, but for sure has been brought up in all the pre release thread.

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023

6CPBosx.gif

I actually lol'd

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
My wife and I have played through D3, titan quest++ together before so we're cooping this.
It is really nice and all, but I can't shake the feeling that it's more of the same. It kind of feels like a polished D3 really.

I'm also a bit disappointed over the cosmetic micro transactions, I'd like all of that to be earned in game.

But the game is very polished and has a ton of content, so at least they finished it, and it is fun. It's no wonder it's selling great.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I want to know actual # of unites sold. Not some hours nonsense.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im playing through so much other stuff right now that I bought this and HAVENT LOGGED IN yet. I have been watching discussions about the queues though.

But yeah, Ill probably not even get to it until maybe this weekend. And thats wild considering how huge of a Diablo fan I am. I absolutely loved Diablo 3 even.

You not seeing it doesn't mean it isn't happening. In fact many threads about the game in general have been absolutely carpet bombed with people doing exactly that.

So yeah,

Anyways....

Last edited:

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I would've definitely been in a thread that specifically called this out. Many of the D4 threads I've been in were just hyping the game. Granted, i haven't read every page in every D4 thread.

You don't need a thread specifically for it when most threads that have to do with Diablo 4 in any way end having a ton of it

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Keep calling it out I say. There's no reason cosmetic items should be sold at launch when they were clearly already done by the time the game came out. It just means they artificially removed stuff from the $70 game specifically to monetize it. If the cosmetics were developed post launch it wouldn't be as bad - altho the prices are still crap

Great game - but the stupid pricing should definitely be called out

Jun 1, 2021
I love Diablo but £70 for a game is insane, let alone what the price for the early access version was. I can wait.

Edit: Also all the monetisation is horrendous. They should have scrapped the store and made the stuff in the store unique unlocks for achieving things not sell extremely expensive shop items. Having fun rewards is thing of the pass now though when they can just charge for it instead. I'll never understand how people supported this model to get to where we are now and even less how people defend it.

It is a lot of money but the amount of content they have put into the game for that price is worth it to be honest. Hundreds of hours at least. Plus every single microtransaction is cosmetic and very easily ignored.

FordPrefect42

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 7, 2022
Keep calling it out I say. There's no reason cosmetic items should be sold at launch when they were clearly already done by the time the game came out. It just means they artificially removed stuff from the $70 game specifically to monetize it. If the cosmetics were developed post launch it wouldn't be as bad - altho the prices are still crap

There's no telling that they would even be in the game without cosmetic sales.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
You not seeing it doesn't mean it isn't happening. In fact many threads about the game in general have been absolutely carpet bombed with people doing exactly that.

So yeah, you just don't know what you are talking about here.

Anyways....
Ok lol. Hilarious to see people so bothered by me when the game is good with an 89 metacritic and breaking Blizzard records. But Kotick forbid I shit on them even more for these gross practic

Other ActiBlizz properties get threads for stuff like this. OW, WoW, and CoD all come to mind whenever they try to pull some bullshit. That's not even including non ActiBlizz games.

Reviews i watched mentioned a PDF they got of the store and not that much detail since their review builds didn't have a shop, i did not find out about these ridiculous prices until i booted up the game myself.

People are saying we got this pre launch but how would that be possible when we all know Blizzard was hiding info about the store because it was going to suck? That's really the only sentiment i saw pre launch.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Called out for what? Why shouldn't cosmetics be sold at launch? When should they be allowed to be sold?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Ok lol.

Other ActiBlizz properties get threads for stuff like this. OW, WoW, and CoD all come to mind whenever they try to pull some bullshit. That's not even including non ActiBlizz games.

I edited that out because its a bit mean, but its true. We have had EXTREMELY long discussions that went into incredible detail specifically about D4 spanning several threads on the game. The fact that you missed them because you didnt click a thread titled specifically about the Monetary aspects of the game isn't anyone's fault.. That conversation has been large and wide reaching. And it was there if anyone cared to participate man.

People are saying we got this pre launch but how would that be possible when we all know Blizzard was hiding info about the store because it was going to suck? That's really the only sentiment i saw pre launch.

Yeah see this is sort of what I mean man. The information about the store was given out a good bit ago, and we talked all about it across several threads. There was ample time to discuss the entirety of the cosmetics, and all of the post purchase systems. And boy oh boy did we discuss it. A lot... Like, nearly more than discussing the other aspects of the game 😅 You seem to be taking it as people "being bothered by me" when the truth is people are just pointing out that you seem to be really out of the loop in terms of what's been discussed about this game in the 20 topics past.

Tamaa

May 16, 2021
Lost Ark is essentially just a Korean-style MMO from a top down perspective. It controls like an ARPG, but it's not really one in the same way that Diablo or Path of Exile or Grim Dawn is. Loot is mostly just pure stats with no modifiers (+int, +strength). Most gear that drops doesn't have new visuals to it. Most of the focus is on reaching endgame and then doing the raids, similar to other MMOs. I don't know if this will make sense, but in Lost Ark you progress your character so you can do higher tier raids. In Diablo it's the reverse, you do content so you can progress your character.

Diablo is mostly presented as a single player game but with a more connected world that supports grouping up and MMO aspects, but it's not the emphasis unlike Lost Ark. In Diablo you're getting lots of different gear with modifiers (+2 to X skill, dashing makes icicles pop up, etc.) and looks and have a lot of ability to customize your build. You can probably make any build work if you're clever about the stats you focus and what you invest skill points into.

So they both pull from the ARPG template, but with very different things they emphasize.

You forgot about combat : Lost Ark wins, as much as I hate the end game of it.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
You forgot about combat : Lost Ark wins, as much as I hate the end game of it.

Hard one. I'd probably agree. Lost Ark feels incredible to play, and I love some of the systems like counters and similar they put in, but I think it probably loses out in longevity due to that lack of interesting gear. Part of the appeal of Diablo is that while the base combat isn't hyper complex, it builds on itself as it interacts with the other systems that tweak it like legendaries or unique pieces of gear.

If you could combine Lost Ark's combat with Diablo's gearing and skill system, it would be absurd and untouchable as an ARPG.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I edited that out because its a bit mean, but its true. We have had EXTREMELY long discussions that went into incredible detail specifically about D4 spanning several threads on the game. The fact that you missed them because you didnt click a thread titled specifically about the Monetary aspects of the game isn't anyone's fault.. That conversation has been large and wide reaching. And it was there if anyone cared to participate man.

Yeah see this is sort of what I mean man. The information about the store was given out a good bit ago, and we talked all about it across several threads. There was ample time to discuss the entirety of the cosmetics, and all of the post purchase systems. And boy oh boy did we discuss it. A lot... Like, nearly more than discussing the other aspects of the game 😅 You seem to be taking it as people "being bothered by me" when the truth is people are just pointing out that you seem to be really out of the loop in terms of what's been discussed about this game in the 20 topics past.
I must have been popping up in the wrong Diablo threads then. I had already made my mind up on getting the game so I wasn't following as hard.

But i was in the review thread and peeked into the thread to see Early Access reactions. I barely saw anything about the shop. I legitimately did not know about some of the pricing models until my friend made a joke last night and i didn't believe him until i booted the game myself.

My bad if I simply missed out on these discussion but I'm usually used to this stuff being front page ERA and not being exclusive to game OTs or threads titles that don't mention the monetization at all.

I also do not recall Blizzard clearly communicating what the shop would look like since they rarely clearly communicate anything consistently.

So if that info is not out there then that's my fault for not seeing it. But I really don't remember "oh they're just casually gonna drop $25 skins in the game" being part of the discussion. All i knew of pre launch was the Battle Pass.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda bummed how little any of the Blizzard controversies seem to have affected their bottom line. People liked to posture about stuff like the Blitzchung incident or the (many) allegations of sexual harassment, but it seemingly didn't translate to much of anything. Fans still lined up for the big new game as if nothing happened.

To anyone who cared about those stories but bought Diablo 4 at launch: do you feel there's any contradiction there? Do you feel Blizzard has changed or needs to change? Does any of this bother you?

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Hard one. I'd probably agree. Lost Ark feels incredible to play, and I love some of the systems like counters and similar they put in, but I think it probably loses out in longevity due to that lack of interesting gear. Part of the appeal of Diablo is that while the base combat isn't hyper complex, it builds on itself as it interacts with the other systems that tweak it like legendaries or unique pieces of gear.

If you could combine Lost Ark's combat with Diablo's gearing and skill system, it would be absurd and untouchable as an ARPG.

it goes deeper than just the combat. Lost Ark only really offers a linear campaign experience with little to no variance each time you want to replay. I do agree the combat in Lost Ark is at times spectacular in comparison, but Diablo offers more than just gear and skills and build diversity. The core gameloop and randomization adds a ton to the experience that you lose out on in Lost Ark's linear grind. It's only replayability is the characters you play and fetch questy island objectives you can sail to. It's that replayability that sets it apart from games like Lost Ark. Path of Exile is the closest comparison to what Diablo 4 offers.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
it goes deeper than just the combat. Lost Ark only really offers a linear campaign experience with little to no variance each time you want to replay. I do agree the combat in Lost Ark is at times spectacular in comparison, but Diablo offers more than just gear and skills and build diversity. The core gameloop and randomization adds a ton to othe experience that you lose out on in Lost Ark. It's that replayability that sets it apart from games like Lost Ark. Path of Exile is the closest comparison to what Diablo 4 offers.

Yeah, I was talking about that some in a previous comment. Lost Ark is a Korean-style MMO that plays like an ARPG, but isn't really one in the same way. Aside from controls, it's not really in the same genre as Diablo, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, etc.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
$70 game with $25 skins in the shop.

Not a single person makes a fuss about this highway robbery lol.
As long as the cosmetics are ugly my wallet is safe.

We know they won't stay ugly for long.

Right now it's like the start of a new year of COD, basic ass skins no one wants. Once the battle pass rolls around then we will know what's going on.

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
Kinda bummed how little any of the Blizzard controversies seem to have affected their bottom line. People liked to posture about stuff like the Blitzchung incident or the (many) allegations of sexual harassment, but it seemingly didn't translate to much of anything. Fans still lined up for the big new game as if nothing happened.

To anyone who cared about those stories but bought Diablo 4 at launch: do you feel there's any contradiction there? Do you feel Blizzard has changed or needs to change? Does any of this bother you?
It bothers me a lot but i couldnt help myself with all the hype and what not. I am a weak man

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Diablo IV has been played for 93 million hours, or over 10,000 years --- the equivalent playing 24 hours a day since the beginning of human civilization.
lol, put this in the not sharing the actual sales numbers hall of fame.

Though I do think they're just waiting for a full week of data, or something simiilar. DIV sales truthers are going to be owned hard. This one's going to sell a ton.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Right now it's like the start of a new year of COD, basic ass skins no one wants. Once the battle pass rolls around then we will know what's going on.
I don't mind the BP if it's good value but i doubt the skins remain trash forever. Either way I don't be buying them. Probably a BP here and there along with the expansions.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I must have been popping up in the wrong Diablo threads then. I had already made my mind up on getting the game so I wasn't following as hard.

But i was in the review thread and peeked into the thread to see Early Access reactions. I barely saw anything about the shop. I legitimately did not know about some of the pricing models until my friend made a joke last night and i didn't believe him until i booted the game myself.

My bad if I simply missed out on these discussion but I'm usually used to this stuff being front page ERA and not being exclusive to game OTs or threads titles that don't mention the monetization at all.

I also do not recall Blizzard clearly communicating what the shop would look like since they rarely clearly communicate anything consistently.

So if that info is not out there then that's my fault for not seeing it. But I really don't remember "oh they're just casually gonna drop $25 skins in the game" being part of the discussion. All i knew of pre launch was the Battle Pass.
It has definitely been beaten to death in every single d4 thread. You're the one that came in ignorant and with an attitude, and then when you got called out on it everyone else "seems overly defensive" to you. Give me a break. I can't be held accountable for you not engaging with Diablo threads on era and then whining about how nobody has talked about this super heavily talked about thing lmao. Feel however you want to about $20 mtx. Yeah the price point is crazy, sure. But acting like nobody has talked about it is just straight up incorrect when it has been a legit constant source of derailment for every single Diablo 4 thread for months no matter what the actual thread was about. Like this one, ostensibly about sales records but instead devolving into bitching about mtx prices for the umpteenth time. That criticism is valid, whining that nobody is criticizing this game for it is nonsense when such criticism is so ubiquitous that it seems to be inescapable.

6CPBosx.gif
Time is a flat circle

Last edited:

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
In this day and age is it possible to grow a multiplatform IP without launching on Playstation? 😏

Edit: Lol at anyone claiming they bought the game to support the devs. Nothing wrong with buying what you want but stop it with the mental gymnastics.

Also where were the pre-launch threads about $25 skins?

Last edited:

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Well. The ingame cosmetics are incredible, and I'd imagine we will keep getting more and more as new items and sets come into the game. As long as they keep up the quality that they have, i dont really have a desire to purchase anything from the store.

Now, that MIGHT change if they release skill mtx, which admittedly, I am a sucker for.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

It bothers me a lot. I loath giving this company money. Especially with Bobby at the helm. Its just a shame that one of my favorite IPs is attached to this company. Its quite clear that Blizzard needs to continue improving and changing its incredibly toxic culture, I believe that we've seen a few steps in the right direction via the firing of certain people, but they have a long way to go. The only time I give this company money is when Diablo is the product I am receiving. I do feel guilty for it, but its tough. I feel for everyone impacted by the shit that was pulled at that company and I hope to hell they're getting the help they need.

Fact is, a lot of people aren't aware of the goings on at Blizzard. None of my friends are and being on Twitch has further cemented that. Lots of folks have no idea what happened.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok like so what's the difference between this and something like that Korean top down game whatsit called? Is it just the darker world? The blood? The demons?

It is just extremely polished. Like it doesn't take My huge swings to try to reinvent the Action RPG but if you are in the market for a lot driven ARPG then you honestly can't do better right now.