Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
It has definitely been beaten to death in every single d4 thread. You're the one that came in ignorant and with an attitude, and then when you got called out on it everyone else "seems overly defensive" to you. Give me a break. I can't be held accountable for you not engaging with Diablo threads on era and then whining about how nobody has talked about this super heavily talked about thing lmao. Feel however you want to about $20 mtx. Yeah the price point is crazy, sure. But acting like nobody has talked about it is just straight up incorrect when it has been a legit constant source of derailment for every single Diablo 4 thread for months no matter what the actual thread was about. Like this one, ostensibly about sales records but instead devolving into bitching about mtx prices for the umpteenth time. That criticism is valid, whining that nobody is criticizing this game for it is nonsense when such criticism is so ubiquitous that it seems to be inescapable.

Time is a flat circle
Wait till they hear about the chicken.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Ok like so what's the difference between this and something like that Korean top down game whatsit called? Is it just the darker world? The blood? The demons?

Do you remember when people were going nuts for Doom 2016 because it just felt right and it was an awesome modern adaptation of the old formula? That is what Diablo IV is like.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It has definitely been beaten to death in every single d4 thread. You're the one that came in ignorant and with an attitude, and then when you got called out on it everyone else "seems overly defensive" to you. Give me a break. I can't be held accountable for you not engaging with Diablo threads on era and then whining about how nobody has talked about this super heavily talked about thing lmao. Feel however you want to about $20 mtx. Yeah the price point is crazy, sure. But acting like nobody has talked about it is just straight up incorrect when it has been a legit constant source of derailment for every single Diablo 4 thread for months no matter what the actual thread was about. Like this one, ostensibly about sales records but instead devolving into bitching about mtx prices for the umpteenth time. That criticism is valid, whining that nobody is criticizing this game for it is nonsense when such criticism is so ubiquitous that it seems to be inescapable.
You seem very emotional over a brief comment I made about a billion dollar company charging $25 for something in a $70 game.

I have every right to uh, "bitch" about it the same way you're "bitching" about my thread habits.

My whole point was the degree to which it's been brought up outside of these threads in relation to other games under the same company umbrella. As I said, every time I popped into these threads I haven't seen that, and I already said I did not read every post in every Diablo thread.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have more bitching to do and apparently you do too.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem very emotional over a brief comment I made about a billion dollar company charging $25 for something in a $70 game.

I think the issue that you need to understand is that this is a very disingenuous framing of what you did. You didn't just make a brief comment about egregious microtransaction charges. You made a brief comment about egregious microtransaction charges while simultaneously calling out everyone else not complaining about egregious microtransaction charges. Ignoring this specific circumstance, this is always a tactic that ruffles feathers. The "I haven't paid attention to the broader conversation, but now that I'm trying to catch up let me just say that I'm the only sane person brave enough to say what needs to be said! Shame on all of you for not heroically speaking up before me!"

Now, you may argue "woah, hold on there pal. You're putting words in my mouth! That wasn't my intent!" Well, that's how it reads to people who have been part of the conversations.

Last edited:

Megustaelmate

Sep 4, 2022
Early Access was a bliss for me...smooth as butter. Game is great besides fov on PC but deserved. Very addictive gameplay

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yeah and that whole point is nonsense. It's literally everywhere lmao. Keep tilting at them windmills though I guess.

I think the issue that you need to understand is that this is a very disingenuous framing of what you did. You didn't just make a brief comment about egregious microtransaction charges. You made a brief comment about egregious microtransaction charges while simultaneously calling out everyone else non complaining about egregious microtransaction charges. Ignoring this specific circumstance, this is always a tactic that ruffles feathers. The "I haven't paid attention to the broader conversation, but now that I'm trying to catch up let me just say that I'm the only sane person brave enough to say what needs to be said! Shame on all of you for not heroically speaking up before me!"

Now, you may argue "woah, hold on there pal. You're putting words in my mouth! That wasn't my intent!" Well, that's how it reads to people who have been part of the conversations.
When OW2, CoD, and WoW bullshit like with its monetization it made headlines. I have yet to see this same pushback for Diablo. Why are these skins more than anything in OW2... A F2P game??

That is not disingenuous, that's just truth. If you take that personally that's on you. I don't know what else to tell you. But I do think because Diablo is a good game it's absolutely getting a bit of a pass compared to some of those other properties.

We got a thread celebrating it's sales before we got one about asking why a $70 game has $25 dollar skins. Unless there's a thread I missed but I assure you not many games are getting away with that.

Quite frankly, I already apologized for missing the millions of posts that apparently detailed the shop and all this before the game's release and "bitched" about the shop lol.

Instead of people simply saying that was the case I got slotted with snide comments that were hella defensive dogpilish. So yeah, I'm gonna clap back accordingly and I'm not gonna be kind about it lol

I've kept it the lines and I definitely will not shut up about it because it's fucking ridiculous.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
When OW2, CoD, and WoW bullshit like with its monetization it made headlines. I have yet to see this same pushback for Diablo. Why are these skins more than anything in OW2... A F2P game??

That is not disingenuous, that's just truth. If you take that personally that's on you. I don't know what else to tell you. But I do think because Diablo is a good game it's absolutely getting a bit of a pass compared to some of those other properties.

We got a thread celebrating it's sales before we got one about asking why a $70 game has $25 dollar skins. Unless there's a thread I missed but I assure you not many games are getting away with that.

Quite frankly, I already apologized for missing the millions of posts that apparently detailed the shop and all this before the game's release and "bitched" about the shop lol.

Instead of people simply saying that was the case I got slotted with snide comments that were hella defensive dogpilish. So yeah, I'm gonna clap back accordingly and I'm not gonna be kind about it lol

I've kept in between the lines and I definitely will not shut up about it because it's fucking ridiculous.
You didn't see one dedicated thread because it detailed every other thread before launch. And your obvious concern trolling is obvious. Your "woe is me" act ain't foolin anyone.

You wanna make a thread and discuss it? No one is stopping you.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I will once Sterling rightfully eviscerates this. That's one thing I really align wth her on.

I'm gonna watch that before I form all my thoughts and make a thread.

I guess it's not that important then?

I just can't muster the energy to get upset about a GaaS having overpriced cosmetics in the year of our lord 2023. It's not gacha, it's not predatory, it's not p2w. I don't care.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
To anyone who cared about those stories but bought Diablo 4 at launch: do you feel there's any contradiction there? Do you feel Blizzard has changed or needs to change? Does any of this bother you?
This is a great question, and I think a more realistic conversation than just throwing shade at anyone that engages with a product/media that someone may have a personal boycott against.

Yeah. this bothers me. I know a lot of the guys named in all that shit are gone, but a ton are still there. They hired and fostered a toxic environment that even if its better, I don't trust is fixed yet. I want Bobby gone. I want them to clean house.

However. Me buying or not buying this doesn't change their bottom line. They won't know if i vote with my dollars here. Now. We can disagree here and say every bit helps, that someone has to take the first step. i get all that. I hear all that. But this thread of huge success still exists. So who suffers at that point by me not buying the game? Me. And me alone.

Now if its a larger more organized protest like we are seeing at reddit like the blackouts over the loss of 3rd party apps? thats more likely to send a message and be successful, if there was a bigger and larger and more organized call to avoid Blizzard products? I would reweigh my choice. Is there some contradiction in my actions in my feelings? yeah. I'd say there is. But I think we all have to grapple with those types of choices in our lives. Its just where I fell on this specific choice.

I hope that answers your question. And I appreciate you asking it.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, when Diablo Immortal came out there was TONS of justified condemnation about the game's P2W mechanics. Everyone everywhere had complaints and were writing articles and producing videos about how awful this was. There was no shortage of (deserved) outrage about that game. This led immediately to mea culpas promising that Diablo 4 wouldn't be this way. They swore up and down that there wouldn't be that kind of P2W nonsense, but they were also transparent that there would still be microtransactions, just purely cosmetic ones.

Now this can still be divisive. Many people still take issue with cosmetic microtransactions in full priced games. That's fair. If you feel that way I promise you I understand and don't think you are incorrect to feel that way. But for many of us? We made peace with this decades ago. We may not like it, but it is what it is. More to the point though, this information was out there. It's been there. It's been discussed. Again, you're not wrong to be annoyed by it. Perhaps there hasn't been enough discussion about it. Go ahead and make that thread. But framing your initial objection as "why isn't anyone discussing this!?!?!?" is just bad framing. That's why you are getting the pushback. That's why I'm clapping back at you now. Not because your observation about egregious MTX pricing is wrong. But because your framing was poor. Every post after is just "I'm too proud to admit I may have been slightly wrong." Any acknowledgment you may have been wrong is just couched in combative "yeah, but..." language.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
You didn't see one dedicated thread because it detailed every other thread before launch. And your obvious concern trolling is obvious. Your "woe is me" act ain't foolin anyone.

You wanna make a thread and discuss it? No one is stopping you.

The thread is coming.

Lmao thank you for your brave service spinluck, my hero

Get over yourself lmao
Sure thing, anytime DevilMayGuy, you can go enjoy the game now.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017

I just can't muster the energy to get upset about a GaaS having overpriced cosmetics in the year of our lord 2023. It's not gacha, it's not predatory, it's not p2w. I don't care.
All the D4 pre release threads have just about wiped all my empathy for people that cry about being MADE to buy microtransactions. We're adults. learn self control or ways to limit yourself. I swear the idea of self control is totally absent from that conversation. I get that people struggle with that. I get that these systems are set up to prey on people that struggle with that. They are gross and shouldn't exist. But thats never the conversation we have. Its that "insert x game is a piece of shit and i can't believe you all are buying it and support this" I just roll my eyes at it. If you think I'm a piece of shit because I buy a game with a cash shop that I can just, choose to never open, then whatever I spose.

FULyS38X0AASUck

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
lol, put this in the not sharing the actual sales numbers hall of fame.

Though I do think they're just waiting for a full week of data, or something simiilar. DIV sales truthers are going to be owned hard. This one's going to sell a ton.
I know a lot of WoW expansions have sold at least 3-4 million on day 1.. not sure what the highest number is though. I assume Diablo's number is probably at least 5m but maybe more like 6-7m.

Sagaris

May 25, 2019
Kinda bummed how little any of the Blizzard controversies seem to have affected their bottom line. People liked to posture about stuff like the Blitzchung incident or the (many) allegations of sexual harassment, but it seemingly didn't translate to much of anything. Fans still lined up for the big new game as if nothing happened.

I understand your sentiment and it is depressing but in reality it was never going to have an impact. If links to slave labour, concentration camps and genocide doesn't stop people buying the latest hardware this was never going to.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
lol, put this in the not sharing the actual sales numbers hall of fame.

Though I do think they're just waiting for a full week of data, or something simiilar. DIV sales truthers are going to be owned hard. This one's going to sell a ton.
I wonder if they are waiting for day 1 official sales come in so they can add them to early release? I bet we have a number by the end of the week. It'll be huge. But man what a weird press release. Look how many hours! Its a big number and has no context!

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019

I've kept it the lines and I definitely will not shut up about it because it's fucking ridiculous.
id be more concerned about who is getting tied to their chair and forced at gunpoint to buy a Messi skin for Warzone
if a game offers shit that doesnt change absolutely anything but the way you look in a non destructive matter then who the fuck cares
especially when the game itself offers so much content that $70 is more than worth it and quite frankly kind of a steal if we go by metrics people usually use like time spent per dollar

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
So, when Diablo Immortal came out there was TONS of justified condemnation about the game's P2W mechanics. Everyone everywhere had complaints and were writing articles and producing videos about how awful this was. There was no shortage of (deserved) outrage about that game. This led immediately to mea culpas promising that Diablo 4 wouldn't be this way. They swore up and down that there wouldn't be that kind of P2W nonsense, but they were also transparent that there would still be microtransactions, just purely cosmetic ones.

Now this can still be divisive. Many people still take issue with cosmetic microtransactions in full priced games. That's fair. If you feel that way I promise you I understand and don't think you are incorrect to feel that way. But for many of us? We made peace with this decades ago. We may not like it, but it is what it is. More to the point though, this information was out there. It's been there. It's been discussed. Again, you're not wrong to be annoyed by it. Perhaps there hasn't been enough discussion about it. Go ahead and make that thread. But framing your initial objection as "why isn't anyone discussing this!?!?!?" is just bad framing. That's why you are getting the pushback. That's why I'm clapping back at you now. Not because your observation about egregious MTX pricing is wrong. But because your framing was poor. Every post after is just "I'm too proud to admit I may have been slightly wrong." Any acknowledgment you may have been wrong is just couched in combative "yeah, but..." language.
Immortal's blunders are well documented, but even then, it was racking in $2 million a day. The thing with that game was it was notoriously lit up the moment that it is announced. No one wanted a F2P Diablo phone game.

When D4 was sold as this return to form content rich experience, I DID see people saying, "what about the shop?" "I'm gonna withhold hype until we see the shop." That's not what I mean when I question how much coverage this was getting on the site. My post was just me straight lol'ing that the main topic of conversation wasn't the atrocious shop that is going to make them BANK.

There are people here telling me that no threads were made because it was discussed to death in the relevant news threads. I did not see those discussions and am not denying they happened, usually I'd pop in for a bit and leave. I was in the first beta thread with glowing impressions of the game and just figured the shop couldn't possibly be that bad since the game was $70.

After the first beta I followed the game lightly as I was already sold on it. The couple of reviews I watched mentioned a PDF sent by Blizzard regarding the shop. That's really all I heard and the ones I watched didn't dig into much detail.

That's all I knew. So when I log on and my friend says, "bro it's fucking crazy that this game has $30 skins." I legit thought they were joking. They all were following the game more than me so I thought they would've mentioned something like that beforehand. I do not think I was the only blindsided by this.

I am going to make that thread but I don't think I'm out of my mind for thinking that someone else on this site would've done that before me since that pretty much ALWAYS happens with shit like this.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I will once Sterling rightfully eviscerates this. That's one thing I really align wth her on.

I'm gonna watch that before I form all my thoughts and make a thread.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that you need someone else to tell you what thoughts you should have.

"I'm upset about something and I know they're upset too, and I need them to tell me exactly how upset I should really be!"

Good grief!

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
GODDAMN. :O

Also:

Unironically you know what might help the game sell even more despite some not liking it?

The level sync system. It allows you to play with your friends with such ease. Most ARPGs or Looter games require you to be near enough level to play properly. Here you can just ask if you want to go questing together and no matter the level difference you can without one player suffering and the other just instantly killing everything. This is one of the most painless and easy games to just play with friends in a long time imho.
That's only true for a certain things or a certain period of time. Things in world tier 3 dont scalr anymore, at least nightmare dungeons which is gonna be the main content dont. So you're gonna have to group with people of similar level at that point.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I am going to make that thread but I don't think I'm out of my mind for thinking that someone else on this site would've done that before me since that pretty much ALWAYS happens with shit like this.
I have only casually read D4 threads and the mtx issues have been brought up constantly. Take that for what you will.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda bummed how little any of the Blizzard controversies seem to have affected their bottom line. People liked to posture about stuff like the Blitzchung incident or the (many) allegations of sexual harassment, but it seemingly didn't translate to much of anything. Fans still lined up for the big new game as if nothing happened.

To anyone who cared about those stories but bought Diablo 4 at launch: do you feel there's any contradiction there? Do you feel Blizzard has changed or needs to change? Does any of this bother you?
As much as we on here like to call out companies bullshit the majority of people interested in the games will still buy them. I imagine there are a lot of people on ERA playing a certain game that came out earlier this year and based on the Diablo IV OT…a lot of us have bought the game and I would assume many of those playing haven't thought about the controversy but the game itself.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

It won't be a short thread so I'll need time big dawg.

That's good for you, I'm sure many feel the same way. I myself don't even buy skins in free games but those are free games, I see why some of them are there in a non exploitative form.

I think it's more gross than upsetting. But the game is getting expansions that will be priced, a Battle Pass, and is already $70 on top of this shop.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It won't be a short thread so I'll need time big dawg.

That's good for you, I'm sure many feel the same way. I myself don't even buy skins in free games but those are free games, I see why some of them are there in a non exploitative form.

I think it's more gross than upsetting. But the game is getting expansions that will be priced, a Battle Pass, and is already $70 on top of this shop.

Yes I know what GaaS means thank you.

It's also getting free story updates and seasonal content but that doesn't count because...?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Near every game has shitty overpriced skins and battle passes now. The F2P business model hasn't been exclusive to F2P games for awhile. Everything that can be said has and made pretty much fuck all difference, I'm just over it really, pretty much any discussion would be a better use of my time and probably more enjoyable.

I won't ever buy the skins for real money (I don't mind a battle pass tbh, if I'm enjoying a game I will buy one, if not I won't ever even think of it same with stuff like expansions), but the masses clearly don't care and so nothing will change.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I guess I shouldn't be shocked that you need someone else to tell you what thoughts you should have.

"I'm upset about something and I know they're upset too, and I need them to tell me exactly how upset I should really be!"

Good grief!

I forgot to include the Escapist too, I'm gonna need them to spoon my low level brain too.

Thanks for reminding me champ!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
you think this disproves it? Exceptions exist. Blizzard and nintendo have been able to do things that other cant for a long time.
Also Sony literally had their fastest selling game ever last year. It's just people aren't buying anything now, the big stuff sells better, everything else is hit hard by people who would rather just play [insert your favourite service game] instead.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yes I know what GaaS means thank you.

It's also getting free story updates and seasonal content but that doesn't count because...?
I'm not saying that doesn't count.

But since the skins cost more than some F2P game skins I'd hope at the very least they can do throw us a bone with some "free" stuff.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Also Sony literally had their fastest selling game ever last year. It's just people aren't buying anything now, the big stuff sells better, everything else is hit hard by people would rather just play [insert your favourite service game] instead.
They did. But i think in general people are willing to pay more for blizzard games even if just because of what type of gsmes they are. A lot of people dont care about playing a game like god of war at release and would rather wait for a sale. Games like diablo, wow etc aren't like that, people want to be there day one. A lot of people paid extra to play 4 days earlier and didnt gove a shot about anything else that camr bundled with it, myself included. Single player games would never have that effect, some people would but the amount of people willing to do that compared to diablo is miniscule. And if you could pay an extra more on top of that to play even earlier, people would pay.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
User Permanently Thread Banned: Thread Derailment
I have only casually read D4 threads and the mtx issues have been brought up constantly. Take that for what you will.
I must've been far less casual then. I was only really active in the first beta thread since I played it and didn't stay in any of the other threads long. I do not remember seeing anything specifically about store prices but more of people being cautious of what the shop might end up being. I do not know when Blizzard announced the prices of skins or anything like that. I already said I was wrong after my post ruffled feathers.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I must've been far less casual then. I was only really active in the first beta thread since I played it and didn't stay in any of the other threads long. I do not remember seeing anything specifically about store prices but more of people being cautious of what the shop might end up being. I do not know when Blizzard announced the prices of skins or anything like that. I already said I was wrong after my post ruffled feathers.
No one knew about the prices until the game was released, the general concern was about how expensive and how many skins they would sell, how much fomo would the BP have, etc.

RaphaBE

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
California
I genuinely don't understand why the store-bought skins are an issue.

Firstly, there are many skins available in the base game and they look pretty damn good. This isn't one of those games where you need to buy skins in order to look decent. I'm looking at you, Lost Ark and (from what I hear) Path of Exile. And more skins should be added with each season, too.

Secondly, those microtransactions largely fund the game. True, it costs $70 to begin with, but it's an absolutely massive game which took over 6 years to develop, and which will be supported (for free) for many years. What would you rather have - a mandatory monthly fee (or seasonal fee) or optional skins? Personally I prefer the latter, especially since I don't particularly care about cosmetics so I'll let you suckers fund the game.

Frankly, it feels like people realized that Blizzard kept their promise to avoid P2W microtransactions (which many people didn't trust), so now they're finding something else to complain about.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017

Prices weren't revealed but we kind of predicted this is where they would fall based on OW2 and CoD

EDIT: not saying those prices are ok - just in line with expectations based on past actiblizz GaaS titles.