Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I genuinely don't understand why the store-bought skins are an issue.

Firstly, there are many skins available in the base game and they look pretty damn good. This isn't one of those games where you need to buy skins in order to look decent. I'm looking at you, Lost Ark and (from what I hear) Path of Exile. And more skins should be added with each season, too.

Secondly, those microtransactions largely fund the game. True, it costs $70 to begin with, but it's an absolutely massive game which took over 6 years to develop, and which will be supported (for free) for many years. What would you rather have - a mandatory monthly fee (or seasonal fee) or optional skins? Personally I prefer the latter, especially since I don't particularly care about cosmetics so I'll let you suckers fund the game.

Frankly, it feels like people realized that Blizzard kept their promise to avoid P2W microtransactions (which many people didn't trust), so now they're finding something else to complain about.
To each their own, I will be making a thread on it to avoid further derailing.

Prices weren't revealed but we kind of predicted this is where they would fall based on OW2 and CoD

EDIT: not saying those prices are ok - just in line with expectations based on past actiblizz GaaS titles.

I personally only knew about the BP which I thought made sense for a game like this, so yeah, the shop is the only thing that really caught me off guard.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They did. But i think in general people are willing to pay more for blizzard games even if just because of what type of gsmes they are. A lot of people dont care about playing a game like god of war at release and would rather wait for a sale. Games like diablo, wow etc aren't like that, people want to be there day one. A lot of people paid extra to play 4 days earlier and didnt gove a shot about anything else that camr bundled with it, myself included. Single player games would never have that effect, some people would but the amount of people willing to do that compared to diablo is miniscule. And if you could pay an extra more on top of that to play even earlier, people would pay.
Online focused stuff will definitely benefit even more from the fomo the big stuff are all benefitting from, but we are still talking about millions of people who are buying the single player stuff day 1 and lots would pay more if those companies did the shitty pay more for the real release date strategy, just like they are with 70 (or the even more expensive editions that usually instant sell out) even if people complained. The big stuff is getting bigger, the absolute juggernauts are going to do even more, with spending being up overall, despite software sales being down a bit (pretty sure sales are still higher than any time besides the COVID sales boom).

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I only bought it, new to Diablo, cause I was upset about Overwatch 2 having its PVE changed from a full campaign to episodic seasonal release missions. Oh well. I'm going on a hiatus from Overwatch for few seasons, especially with all the games just released and soon to release.

That aside I'm playing Diablo and SF6, having a great overwatch 2 hiatus 😀

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they not giving in us numbers? They are clearly proud, give us the receipts.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of the smoothest online launches for me

Plus the game is great, I'm having a lot of fun smashing mobs with my barbarian

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
The mtx may be costly on a game that already costs 70 bucks to purchase, but at least you can make pretty decent looking characters with ingame armours, and a transmog system to mix and match. Though needing to salvage to unlock the look of an item is kinda stupid.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
oh hey a Diablo thread full of posts about the MTX, what a novel concept.

This game had an incredibly smooth launch and is launching in a far better state (gameplay, game systems, loot, endgame…) than I even hoped for. Congrats to the team, they made a hell of a game.

Looking forward to beefy seasonal updates paid for by optional cosmetics bought by consenting adults that let everyone else access new content for free

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Did I pay the premium price, mostly to start a bit earlier? Yep, guilty.

Overall I must admit, that I'm really enjoying the game, I just finished the campaign earlier today and hit level 55 with my Sorc after doing some nightmares with a friend.

Why did I go for the Deluxe Edition and the game at all? Well, I played all Diablo games on PC and joyed all of them, though I'm not a hardcore Diablo player. I'll still easily get 100+ hours of enjoyment out of D4. Blizzard improved the game and service a lot since the initial closed beta (the one for pre-order people or people with keys they got through giveaways, etc.). I didn't pre-order until a couple of days before the earlier launch window though. I played the other tests as well and had a couple of issues, until the Server Slam happened. I had zero disconnects there and no queue. Launch was smooth on PC, I even got to play/login like 2 minutes early or so. No Error 37 fun like with Diablo III...

Also, I must say it feels good to finally play a game again that works and runs properly and is clearly made with love. I was getting really annoyed at the latest game releases, especially on PC. But here we are, a game with voiced dialogues everywhere, no boring books to read for anything, very nicely produced lore series leading up to the launch on their YouTube channel. The world is created really with a love of attention to details, there is so much to see and discover and so many little things that make me like the game and the graphics (and it plays really well). No huge bugs and a great performance, which is actually a plus these days...especially for AAA games on PC with online components. I can play the game with max details, DLSS quality, native res, unlocked FPS or locked fps without any hitch on my Gaming Laptop, where other games in the recents months often had issues and it's about refund or waiting for patches.

So yeah, it's a deserved win for Blizzard in my opinion and it shows, that taking your time to finish a game is really worth it, both for sales, quality, review socres and the buyers of the product...who would have guessed.

KAP151

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say - its very polished.

1 bugged quest and 1 that needs be tooled down is pretty outsanding in my first play through.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
They're not listing copies but you can make some guesses based on average hours played per player.

If 6 hours per player is 15.5M players.

If 12 hours, 7.7M players.

If 24 hours (a good chunk in the five days it's been out), 3.875M players.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The mtx may be costly on a game that already costs 70 bucks to purchase, but at least you can make pretty decent looking characters with ingame armours, and a transmog system to mix and match. Though needing to salvage to unlock the look of an item is kinda stupid.

Yup, and some of us love mtx in games, subsidizing the rest of us

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
It's expected isn't it? Since the early access was pushed heavily plus it's release on more platforms compare to Diablo 3.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
If we assume that on average, every person who bought the Deluxe or Ultimate edition has played 20 hours since Thursday, that would be 4.6 million Deluxe/Ultimate editions sold. And then you have maybe 3-4 million regular versions of the game that have already been purchased.

So Diablo 4 has probably sold somewhere in the 7-9 million range.

So if we average out the price of all editions sold to something like $78 per sale, Blizzard has already made around $550 million to $700 million off the game. With more sales, the shop, and the battle pass, it will clear something like $1.3 billion by the end of July.

Last edited:

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Logitech G Cloud via remote play. 1080p, bright screen, light hardware, 60fps, no/minimum tinkering needed, great haptics, either PC or PS5 game settings, depending what device you're streaming.

I have a gaming PC and XSX - currently playing on the XSX. Going away for the summer - if I buy the PC version can I still stream if it's not local? Seemed unclear from googling it

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
It's pretty damn great, the campaign was by far the best Diablo story ever, and it gave us one of the best cutscenes they've ever made. They've absolutely nailed the combat, design and audio. The whole foundation is solid as a rock. That's not to say it's perfect, the UI needs some work, the game is missing some basic QoL and some pretty standard features. I'm excited to see where they take it honestly.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
It's funny how this game is breaking records despite loud complaints about microtransactions and 70$ price tag (and even more in case of this game as playing early costed more) from a vocal group.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's funny how this game is breaking records despite loud complaints about microtransactions and 70$ price tag (and even more in case of this game as playing early costed more) from a vocal group.
That vocal group has been groaning for over a decade about the way things are now. It's a lost cause, no one cares anymore. Sterling in particular has been on a crusade against ANY monetization, no matter how benign. It's out of touch content that resonates with a shrinking few gaming boomers who wish every game was the way things used to be, rose tinted to absolute fuck of course.

Anyone who is unable to control their impulses and not buy shit they can't afford needs to avoid most live service games, period. The rest of us can enjoy free content paid for by people who can afford pretties.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah lots of that group had zero interest in the game anyway and mostly just likes to soapbox. Easy to criticize things you dislike for moral superiority points

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022

They're the vocal minority. Reddit is an absolute shit show for this, everyone hates on the game without ever playing it, and they downvote anyone saying anything positive. Those of us who actually enjoy Diablo are having a blast because D4 is fantastic.

May 17, 2023
I need to stop reading this thread. I've never played a Diablo before but have recently purchased Zelda and Jedi Survivor. I need to beat at least Jedi Survivor before I even THINK about buying this.

F**k it. Off to the shops I go.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
GODDAMN. :O

Also:

Unironically you know what might help the game sell even more despite some not liking it?

The level sync system. It allows you to play with your friends with such ease. Most ARPGs or Looter games require you to be near enough level to play properly. Here you can just ask if you want to go questing together and no matter the level difference you can without one player suffering and the other just instantly killing everything. This is one of the most painless and easy games to just play with friends in a long time imho.
Wait, what? I've been avoiding playing with friends because I thought they'd steamroll it since none of them have kids and can just no-life it so they're all way above me.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Ok lol. Hilarious to see people so bothered by me when the game is good with an 89 metacritic and breaking Blizzard records. But Kotick forbid I shit on them even more for these gross practic

Well you're being extremely combative and overly annoying (on purpose it seems). After reading a few of your posts in this thread you come across as a troll who embodies the "stop having fun" meme, so it's not really surprising that you're bothering some people.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Well you're being extremely combative and overly annoying (on purpose it seems). After reading a few of your posts in this thread you come across as a troll who embodies the "stop having fun" meme, so it's not really surprising that you're bothering some people.

Well... Good thing for both of us that I moved on hours ago and already said I'd be making a separate thread for it.

But pop off FellowTarnished, tell me how you really feel.

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
As much as i would love to play this, i can't in good conscience support this game when this success will be leveraged to further halt unionization and cover up sexual harassment, but congratulations to the devs for making such a great game and smooth launch in spite of terrible working conditions.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
GODDAMN. :O

Also:

Unironically you know what might help the game sell even more despite some not liking it?

The level sync system. It allows you to play with your friends with such ease. Most ARPGs or Looter games require you to be near enough level to play properly. Here you can just ask if you want to go questing together and no matter the level difference you can without one player suffering and the other just instantly killing everything. This is one of the most painless and easy games to just play with friends in a long time imho.
This is wrong, there are still zones that have a minimum level and there are still side quests that only show up once you have the minimum level requirement, and no, you can not share the quests that your higher-leveled friend is doing.

Feb 16, 2022
Look, I get that boycotting or not is all down to personal choice, and no one should feel bad for not wanting to boycott the game. But some of the posts ITT are clearly taking such ugly glee at the game having the success that it has over the boycott sentiment and mocking the people who do refuse to support the publisher.

There's a fine line between

"Let people have fun with the game and support the devs"

and

"lol so much for the 'boycott'! I'm buying two copies just to piss you off! What are you gonna do now that the game's breaking records???"

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This is wrong, there are still zones that have a minimum level and there are still side quests that only show up once you have the minimum level requirement, and no, you can not share the quests that your higher-leveled friend is doing.

Sure- you can find some scenario's where it still doesn't work. But more often than not, level syncing in the game allows you and a friend to join up and play together to do content together. After all, in most of these scenarios it's usually a case of not wanting the higher level player to join the lower level player and end up destroying everything in sight. Instead, a higher level friend can still join up and they can have fun together without one player ruining the experience or needing to start a new character just to play with them.

It's better than most games where you always need to be within 1-2 levels of each other to play at all if you don't want major issues.