• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive weight loss. I don't know why Kotaku chose to use the word buff unless it was to drive arguments. Saying lean makes more sense, especially when people's thoughts on buffness is dense muscle that most people cannot achieve.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
All he needs is to add pull ups to his regimen, will make his upper body look better with the lats.
Ya this and adjust the 10km of running every day to 1km of swimming, and 30km of cycling to replace some of those running days. That's a lot of pavement pounding, can't be great for the knees and hips long term.

Still impressive though, he's lean and cut, which looks fine, being bulky is actually a pretty recent expectation of fitness. Before the 1960's this is more similar to a look healthy and fit men would strive for. It's also cheaper, because bulking and gaining mass requires a lot more food and *cough* PED's if you are gonna go that route.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Lol i was thinking "I do half that and I get half results." I waver between eating right and eating junk though.

I got down to 170 in November and looked pretty athletic and lean, but that was after eating right since August. I'm 6' and have never looked as bad as the before picture of that dude even at 195lbs so he must be short or he was all fat or both to look that flabby at 182.
This dude is about 5'6" so yeah, height makes a huge difference. But also keep in mind that east Asians tend to gain body fat in their stomach very easily IIRC.

Regardless he did go from a 29.4 BMI to a 20.1 BMI and probably gained a lot of lean muscle mass in the process since he couldn't really do the exercises properly at the start but had no problems near the end. Good on him, and his skin seems tight too so that's really nice!

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing transformation! He was fortunate to have such incredible support. There's a sweet moment when he is thanking her near the end and she starts crying. This type of regimen is very difficult to do regardless, but doing it alone with no accountability greatly increases the chance you'll stop.

And for people thinking he straight up just started doing 100 proper push-ups on day one, if you watch the video you'll see that he had to work a long time to get to the correct form. What he does at the start is a very modified form to get into the habit of doing it until he actually has the strength to do them properly.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's impressive! Also you can clearly see how he improves with his pushups/situps and all.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Good for him! Such an inspiration. I always wanted to go all Saitama. He looks so happy at the end!

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
This dude is about 5'6" so yeah, height makes a huge difference. But also keep in mind that east Asians tend to gain body fat in their stomach very easily IIRC.

Regardless he did go from a 29.4 BMI to a 20.1 BMI and probably gained a lot of lean muscle mass in the process since he couldn't really do the exercises properly at the start but had no problems near the end. Good on him, and his skin seems tight too so that's really nice!
That makes sense. It's also good to point out it's not the number - your weight - that makes you fat. Ive known people that would start working out and get discouraged because they gained weight or stayed the same when actually they looked like they lost it. They were slimmer to look at, but building dense muscle kept them the same weight or they even gained it.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Major props to him, well done! And of course there are haters itt. Shocker.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to try out the OPM training but frankly work and part time schooling is preventing me to dedicate time to it.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
I currently run 5-6km 6 days a week and I'm super sore. I couldn't possibly imagine 10 km every day.

Props to him. but I'd be worried about the injury risk from those runs.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well done, such great results from the work put in!!

He's got that amazing head of hair, but I honestly think he suits shaved very well. Win win! haha

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
10km per day needs some real motivation.

Yeah, I'm in dire need of that motivation.

My wife runs a 5k 3 times a week and jogs for like 20 minutes on the days in-between. I haven't found that motivation yet.

My wife has lost nearly 100lbs in the last year. Pretty incredible. She's in the best shape of her life physically at 34.

She's a hottie too, which makes me feel like I REALLY need to pick up my game, lol.

Calcutec

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of unrelated, but the most viewed video on this guys channel is one of the nastiest things I've ever seen on Youtube... (and also very NSFW).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing something like this right now minus the running since my knees are messed but will add cycling soon (probably do ~20km every other day). But so far I've been trying at least 80 proper pushups (trying to reach at least 100 but I'm still struggling lol and also rotating between explosive and slow pushups), 120 situps/crunches, 120 squats, and 90~ arm curls for biceps. I definitely see some results (especially in my triceps) but nothing really crazy.

I'm also cutting right now so that's probably why I don't see as much gains as I could be seeing though I want to reach ~10% bodyfat before I start bulking. I think I'm around ~15%- - ~18% bodyfat right now so I still have a bit to go. As for diet, I've just been trying to eat stuff with more protein/low calories and kind of cutting everything else. No protein powder or whatever though I've been considering it so I can vary my diet more. I also don't exactly count my calories but I'd say I'm around ~1400cal per day. No real noticeable weight loss though except maybe a few pounds but I guess this is a really slow process. I've also been considering just bulking now since my frame seems to be kind of the skinny side already but idk.

I've been trying to do this consistently January doing it every other day and will probably will keep up with it while the pandemic is still happening. I don't really plan on going to a gym after tbh lol.

Also for anyone looking to try this: I highly DONT recommend doing the routine every day. I was trying to do pushups everyday last year in the middle of the pandemic and it really fucks up your joints. I had to stop for a week or two since the pain got really bad on my rotator cuffs and I can see the same with the knees if I were to run every day too. Like I couldn't even raise my arm without feeling pain. I still did pushups after for a few months but it was more spread apart until I started going full time in January.

I also don't think this works out your back so it'll be good if you add something like pullups in there. I dont have a pull up bar so I need to find some at home workout to work on my back.

And my health app tracking
wTDafrb.jpg

Last edited:

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Once you are in shape it isn't too bad, easy for me to say as I haven't been in that kind of running shape since 2010, but getting there is the hardest part. I would say 5K a day is much more reasonable.

I second the 5K a day.

Alternatively, swimming daily or getting 30 minutes daily on the heavy bag are excellent replacements.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People should stop with the "one punch man routine". It's pretty much one of the worst workouts you can do.
It's impressive that he stuck with it but he should go for a more balanced and healthy training.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dude lost a bunch of weight and is in better shape and these replies are killing me

Y'all are some harsh critics I swear haha

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
People should stop with the "one punch man routine". It's pretty much one of the worst workouts you can do.
It's impressive that he stuck with it but he should go for a more balanced and healthy training.

I think it's just the easiest way for people to start since you can do everything at home and kind of the reason I started. But people doing it should probably do a modified version of it targeting more muscle groups and not everyday to strain their body. Plus, it probably won't help too much if they don't change their diet.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
He looks great. Not sure what people are on about. The body standards are all out of whack.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not a fan of extreme distance running, but doing a low impact exercise consistently everyday gives you pretty insane results. It's called "hair of the dog." Some people use it for PT testing:

www.military.com

Try 'the Hair of the Dog' to Improve PT and Lift Scores

New tactical fitness-inspired tests such as the Army CFT or the USMC CFT will require additional training with weights, sandbags and ammo boxes.

I put 50lb+ on my bench during the pandemic with this.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Naw, it's actually pretty good for you if you do it properly. It'll suck at first, but it'll level out and provides a very entertaining goal to do. It's also cheap cause no equipment needed. I know a few people who do it and it takes about an hour and a half. And they're physiques look great.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
That makes sense. It's also good to point out it's not the number - your weight - that makes you fat. Ive known people that would start working out and get discouraged because they gained weight or stayed the same when actually they looked like they lost it. They were slimmer to look at, but building dense muscle kept them the same weight or they even gained it.
yep this happened to me. I am 5'5 but got weighed at my doctor's office at 170lbs when last I was floating somewhere around 160ish. Was totally shocked but understandable since my arms and legs are huge(ok...not huge) now.
Amazing transformation! He was fortunate to have such incredible support. There's a sweet moment when he is thanking her near the end and she starts crying. This type of regimen is very difficult to do regardless, but doing it alone with no accountability greatly increases the chance you'll stop.
for real. I myself need to workout socially or else I will probably half-ass it. Been doing google meet calls with my trainers to keep me in line.

these vids remind me of the old ping pong progress for a year video.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming the 100 sit ups etc. Was achieved by doing reps through the day, I feel like I could do that but running 10k? No way.
When I was in wrestling the warm up was 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats then running up and down flights of stairs, THEN we'd do the work out, then after that actual wrestling practice.

If the guy did just the situps, pushups, and running part every day he's a beast.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Naw, it's actually pretty good for you if you do it properly. It'll suck at first, but it'll level out and provides a very entertaining goal to do. It's also cheap cause no equipment needed. I know a few people who do it and it takes about an hour and a half. And they're physiques look great.
I think the issue is that it can do longterm damage to your body. Particularly situps - they have repeated motion that puts strain on your lower back which can lead to some major back issues down the road. They also only work out one real muscle group, while there are many other workouts that also exercise that same group but do way less harm to your body (like planks). That's why most workout routines recommend rest or rotating workouts throughout the week.

It's still a great feat, don't get me wrong. This guy is young and probably won't have too many negative effects from it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with doing all of that just twice a week spread out.
Though I do 1 hour of Dance Dance Revolution instead of running, and I add 100 pullups to the mix too.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Swimming or bicycling are two good options if you have the means. A stationary bike can work too if you have the space.
Swimming, cycling, running on softer surfaces like sand, hiking up hills/mountains, stairs, jump rope.
A heavy bag can provide some good cardio.
Thanks. Maybe I'll start with a jump rope since it seems like the cheapest option with the least setup.

I had to look up what a heavy bag was lol. I always thought those were punching bags.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i wonder if this works without the running part
the 100 stuff had to be one after the other?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I started this a couple weeks ago. Only half volume for now, since I'm super duper out of shape, but I'm getting there. Keeping yourself honest every single day is the real win here, it gets easier every day.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who lifts, I feel pretty ashamed that you never do cardio or even bother with push ups or sit ups.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I do 5k runs every second day and my calves are almost always sore. I don't know how people can do more than that. I'm 36 tho, so maybe it's just age

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like his diet did most of the work. Can't imagine only eating broccoli and whatever that other green stuff for a year.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Whats the best precaution for join damage if you are too heavy? Intervals?

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Once you are in shape it isn't too bad, easy for me to say as I haven't been in that kind of running shape since 2010, but getting there is the hardest part. I would say 5K a day is much more reasonable.

Honestly "once you are in shape" counts for a lot, I stopped working out as much as I used to but i'm getting back into it - not for the me of today, but for the me 10-20-30 years in the future

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It turned a normal guy into the strongest being in the universe, I'd say the workout is pretty good.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's super simple and daily so easy to build a habit around.

Too boring and I hate running so not for me.