• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
God, the handwringing over the very light barbs Jon Stewart took at Biden is insufferable. Is every week gonna be like this because Trump is the opposition? This show can't take any digs at democratic party blunders and leadership anymore because it will somehow enable a Trump win? It's practically guaranteed he will go harder on Trump in the weeks to come. Hell this episode didn't lack that.

Good monologue and it's crazy how he feels like he hasn't lost a step.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think that when Trump is re-elected in November and a Muslim ban is reenabled, private armies start being deployed to blue states, migrants in this country and being hunted down for deporting, and LGBTQ rights are stripped away and my family has to move very to another country to ensure my daughter will be safe-we can look back at an episode like this and say "Mayve focusing on Biden's age wasn't the top most important thing to focus on in the debut episode."

But hey that's me.

Everything you said is valid. That does not mean Biden is above criticism.

Trump is not more likely to win because Jon Stewart talked about one of the current news stories in the country, which was the special council report and Biden's response to it. And again, he also spoke about Trump's age and the fact that he is the worse option.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I WAS listening, but I believe his point is only half true. Voting for Biden over Trump doesn't magically save us. That part is entirely correct. There's tons of hard work to come after.

But his assumption is that even if Trump wins, the country will still be "ok". And I am calling that a faulty assumption. Trump represents an existential threat to not only the U.S., but the wider geopolitical world.
100% this and it's how I feel and was trying to convey. We all know it's a never ending fight. But this upcoming fight has dire consequences. Again.

Jun 12, 2021
If the consequences are so high (which I believe they are) isn't it absolutely vital that maybe the Democratic party pull their head out of their ass and run somebody who's not Joe Biden? I know it's probably too late but it feels so demoralizing watching this happen when it seems so obvious that he's not the best they could put up there. Most people know how big the consequences are of a Trump presidency is but it doesn't feel like the Democratic party cares if feels like it's just a game for them.

Its not like Jon Stewart was even saying anything that most people didn't already know anyways about Joe Biden. Obviously Trump is way worse and having to constantly emphasize that and make that clear is getting exhausting.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If the consequences are so high (which I believe they are) isn't it absolutely vital that maybe the Democratic party pull their head out of their ass and run somebody who's not Joe Biden? I know it's probably too late but it feels so demoralizing watching this happen when it seems so obvious that he's not the best they could put up there. Most people know how big the consequences are of a Trump presidency is but it doesn't feel like the Democratic party cares if feels like it's just a game for them.

Its not like Jon Stewart was even saying anything that most people didn't already know anyways about Joe Biden. Obviously Trump is way worse and having to constantly emphasize that and make that clear is getting exhausting.
Joe Biden has the most votes ever cast for a President. Why would they decide to run someone else? They wouldn't. It would be handing the election to Trump.

Jun 12, 2021
Joe Biden has the most votes ever cast for a President. Why would they decide to run someone else? They wouldn't. It would be handing the election to Trump.
Yeah that would be cool if the popular vote mattered at all. If the popular vote mattered at all I wouldn't be worried but unfortunately it doesn't matter. Biden could break the record again and still lose the electoral college.

I'm not the most tuned into every senator, governor or public figure in our country but somebody like Mark Kelly. I'm sure there's somebody out there that could put up a bigger fight against Trump. I might not have a better solution to offer but I'm 100% blaming the Democrats and Biden if they blow this election. I will be voting Biden just in case I haven't made that clear, I am just extremely worried this is not going to go well.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I just find it a testament to the political landscape that someone saying "the hordes are at the gate" pointing to one side and saying the leadership of the other side is old af is bothsides stuff.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I just find it a testament to the political landscape that someone saying "the hordes are at the gate" pointing to one side and saying the leadership of the other side is old af is bothsides stuff.

Yup, it's the old trick.

"Okay this guy is a murderous prick who killed thousands of people, that's bad. But on the other hand the other guy once ignored a baby. Imagine how many other babies he ignored we don't know of! They are both bad."

Dec 25, 2020
First, Jon gets the Zadroga act extended

Next, Jon gets the Honoring our PACT Act passed

www.forbes.com

Jon Stewart’s ‘Daily Show’ Return Earns Highest Ratings In Nearly Six Years

Stewart reportedly brought in the largest audience since 2018 and the best rating share since 2015 during his first night back.

Now Jon has returned to Comedy Central to save our little comedy program for the second time (the first time was in 1999).

Regardless of what happens the rest of the year, Jon Stewart is the most epic comedian of all time.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Trevor was great and did well for them. He would still be hosting if he didn't choose to leave.

I missed Jon too but let's not pretend that Trevor didn't provide a fresh and much needed voice.
I liked Trevor more than most people, especially in comparison to those on this site. I don't think he made much headway into the collective zeitgeist and I think that is a challenge for anyone not named Jon Stewart.

Comedy Central isn't really on the road map any longer (unless you just put on The Office repeats) and this being one of less than an handful recognizable brands they have left, they are being protective with how they handle this experiment.

Kostaja

Banned
Jun 9, 2022
It just felt sort of defeatist despite trying to sound "optimistic" at the end. We are basically doomed and Jon knows it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
This was actually a very smart way to start off his new run on the show.

A lot of attention was going to be on his return debut so he took the opportunity to flex that he's still got it while hammering a topic just about every sane person agrees on. Hopefully in entertaining as many as possible that'll increase the number of people who tune in when he dives into meatier topics.

That is if he does do that….. I didn't watch his Apple show regularly but I saw clips and interviews that suggest he's moved farther left than I expected. I hope that's the guy that shows up this year. No need for more of these softball episodes

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
"There is too much on the line this election for us to criticize the President" is such backwards neoliberal thinking. You do realize that a lot of the republicans you are in fear of have the exact same view of the other guy right? Do you hear yourselves?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
If you have a couple brain-cells and aren't brainwashed into the cult, criticizing Biden isn't suddenly going to make you vote for trump instead.

The issue is when you DON'T/CAN'T criticize "your guy" (like most trump supporters).

Oct 26, 2017
"There is too much on the line this election for us to criticize the President" is such backwards neoliberal thinking. You do realize that a lot of the republicans you are in fear of have the exact same view of the other guy right? Do you hear yourselves?

Get out of here with the "both sides" bs. Republicans' fears are not based in reality. Meanwhile, minorities are faced with legitimate threats from Republican governments.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017

When they go low we go high sure worked in 2016.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a couple brain-cells and aren't brainwashed into the cult, criticizing Biden isn't suddenly going to make you vote for trump instead.

The issue is when you DON'T/CAN'T criticize "your guy" (like most trump supporters).

I don't think anyone's seriously thinking Biden voters, at least outside of a small subset, are going to suddenly switch to Trump - maybe ones really pissed about inflation or broken promises about student loans or w/e.

But if they think ' yeah, Biden's old, I don't think he's got the chops, I'll stay home', and there's enough of them..then that's it.

But it's moreso the framing I take umbrage with - I don't, outside of creating more apathy, care that Jon criticizes Biden's age - obviously the Biden team ABSOLUTELY needs to find a solution to this perception problem - be it putting Joe out there more, having him do more events, whatever - to fix, at least somewhat, the perception he has currently.

But I don't know that the sentiment (even if he does go back to Trump being worse) of 'Trump may suck for democracy, but we'll be okay if he wins, the office doesn't matter as long as we keep striving to be more lowercase-d democratic - and hey, isn't Biden old' is really a salient/pertinent message at this point - especially when Trump is LITERALLY showing his fascist playbook for 2024, and putting it out into the open....and a lot of people are just...ignoring it.

Maybe Trump, if he does win, will be similarly hamstrung like a lot of his first term....but maybe he won't.

Last edited:

SpiralEngine

Jul 6, 2023
People getting this bent out of shape about Stewart pointing out Biden's age are really not ready to handle the smoke if/when Stewart starts to hammer Biden on enabling the genocide in Gaza.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
User warned: sniping at other members
People getting this bent out of shape about Stewart pointing out Biden's age are really not ready to handle the smoke if/when Stewart starts to hammer Biden on enabling the genocide in Gaza.
They already fucking can't, so they either ignore the thread or stop short of just saying "you fucking better line back up. We won't do anything to dissuade your fears, but you better line up."

Bengraven