• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last year they started with Super Mario Maker 2 and ended with Astral Chain and Links Awakening.

This year I see a possible combination of 2D Metroid, Paper Mario RPG and BotW 2 in the beginning and end. If no BotW 2 is the holiday title then they will announce the holiday title being Mario Kart of some kind most likely.

Actually I could see Bayonetta 3 in place of 2D Metroid or Paper Mario and one of those saved for E3 (most likely 2D Metroid). lets say 2D Metroid and Paper Mario are coming this year. I'm more confident in Nintendo announcing Paper Mario in this direct than 2D Metroid - if I had to pick one

Pikmin 3, 3D World, XenoblaDE, third party games, etc will be in between

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I expect this direct to cover from March-June. The bigger stuff they announce will be for after those months, more fall/holiday.

Add July and August too. E3 usually covers fall and early next year, so empty summer months should be filled somewhere. In early 2019 we had lots of games dated for both July and and August, as of now we don't have many for 2020 summer, so I expect lots of summer games to be revealed at the Direct.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine people who hate Animal Crossing to the point of wanting it to bomb hard are going to be very annoyed during the upcoming months because that game is going to get talked about A LOT around here. At least personally I plan to--unless it somehow ends up sucking, which I strongly doubt it will.

(tho I guess they won't have it as bad as the people who hate Smash with a passion, because that game is going to get talked about for years to come).

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Actually I could see Bayonetta 3 in place of 2D Metroid or Paper Mario and one of those saved for E3 (most likely 2D Metroid). lets say 2D Metroid and Paper Mario are coming this year. I'm more confident in Nintendo announcing Paper Mario in this direct than 2D Metroid - if I had to pick one
I have a sinking feeling you might be right, I really hope otherwise.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Bayo or Metroid doesn't matter, I'll be living!

I've been waiting since 2017 for my two queens to make their brand new Switch debut

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we see Metroid and Paper Mario over Bayo 3. That game needs a gameplay reveal at E3 along with impressions from people that played a demo. Just a trailer wouldn;t be very exciting after the disappointment that was Bayo 2.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we see Metroid and Paper Mario over Bayo 3. That game needs a gameplay reveal at E3 along with impressions from people that played a demo. Just a trailer wouldn;t be very exciting after the disappointment that was Bayo 2.
I mean the media who goes to E3 aren't gonna be able to give the Bayo diehards who hated 2 because the combat wasn't as deep what they want.

these are the same people that gave Bayo 2 the highest scores that year. We won't know until the game releases unless platinum does a deep dive themselves in a dedicated direct

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the media who goes to E3 aren't gonna be able to give the Bayo diehards who hated 2 because the combat wasn't as deep what they want.

these are the same people that gave Bayo 2 the highest scores that year. We won't know until the game releases unless platinum does a deep dive themselves in a dedicated direct
With E3 being more public than ever there would be a chance for action game diehards to try it out.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With E3 being more public than ever there would be a chance for action game diehards to try it out.
Bayonetta 2 impressions at E3 2013 were universally positive. The same will be the case for Bayonetta 3 impressions, whether it's more like the first game or more like its sequel.

Bayo 2 is amazing btw. One of the best games of this generation.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I find the franchise boring and uninteresting to play, and I'd rather see the resources put into it used somewhere else, in a game I'd enjoy more. Simple as that.

I know it's not going to happen, as it's a popular franchise with a dedicated fanbase, but that doesn't mean I have to celebrate a big series I couldn't care less about. If the latest game bombed and they decided to steer clear of the franchise for a while, it'd be a net positive for me, because it'd mean I no longer have to see as much of it and it's fanbase as I currently do, and the resources that would've been put towards the next one would instead go to another game I would potentially enjoy more. I'm sure others feel the same way about series they're not as fond of as well. A similar sentiment of "why did they put their money towards this" commonly pops up around Starfox whenever it gets it's once-per-console revival. I just feel that way about AC.
I don't like fire emblem at all and find it obnoxious, yet would never hope the series dies because I know it has fans.

Nov 3, 2017
Bayonetta 2 impressions at E3 2013 were universally positive. The same will be the case for Bayonetta 3 impressions, whether it's more like the first game or more like its sequel.

Bayo 2 is amazing btw. One of the best games of this generation.
I'm not trying to be shady but it's an interesting question: is bayo 2 counted as current gen or last gen 🤔

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already know bayo3 is happening for sure. I want the two games that are just rumored to be revealed.

Same. Of course I want the new games to be revealed here and not until E3, but I have to be realistic. I don't think they'll announce everything here for what's coming the entire year. I know they did that last year, but I think they have more games coming this year they might save 1 or 2 for E3 like 2D Metroid. Paper Mario I think they'd want to show in this direct because that's a great announcement to make it's returning to form in the first direct.

zippo already saw the direct. Jk

Jan 16, 2020

I'm a longer reader; first time post. Please be gentle.

I like this Doctre fellow - knowledgeable and on top of it. He posted a video and I agree with the premise: the Direct will be a counter to the PS5 rumored announcement event, which is expected in early Feb. I know that many people believe that Nintendo is going to be Nintendo and do their Nintendo thing. But the company is under different leadership now, and if one believes Emily, they are aggressive Nintendo. I hope this is true. That they will play chess all year long with the other companies. Should be fun to watch.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Same. Of course I want the new games to be revealed here and not until E3, but I have to be realistic. I don't think they'll announce everything here for what's coming the entire year. I know they did that last year, but I think they have more games coming this year they might save 1 or 2 for E3 like 2D Metroid. Paper Mario I think they'd want to show in this direct because that's a great announcement to make it's returning to form in the first direct.

zippo already saw the direct. Jk
I guess it depends on if it's a remake or new game. I think metroid 5 would be revealed more than just a couple months before launch.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Super Metroid for the first time (taking advantage of my Nintendo Switch Online subscription).

Using an analog stick is not ideal for this game, but I'm managing alright.

Kraid was super annoying. I'll admit to using the rewind feature to get past him.

Rayman isn't dead! He's not! *sniffles* (At least put it on Android you jerks)

Ugh. Apple arcade exclusive- that sucks. I hope it comes to other platforms eventually. I adored Rayman Origins and it's one of my favorite games.

Finished my first route in 3H - crimson flower! Should I go for blue lions or Golden deer next?

Golden Deer! It will explain more of the background story that you didn't get in Crimson Flower.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
He was in Mario Kart Tour, though!

images

It looks to me like Nintendo actually values Diddy very much. $39.99 USD, to be exact!
@ing me with this non-game mobile filth lol

sadly this is the best us DKfans are gonna get. i was holding out hope for a while for a third retro title (return of kremlings, second trilogy like poetry it rhymes ETC ), but im pretty sure that ship has sailed. sad. what the hell retro, what have you been doing all these years??

Knight64

Dec 17, 2019
We need king zell to return with more news Haha I'm super hyped for the halo switch news he was talking about.. I don't wanna get too hyped but I feel master chief is coming to super smash.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
@ing me with this non-game mobile filth lol

sadly this is the best us DKfans are gonna get. i was holding out hope for a while for a third retro title (return of kremlings, second trilogy like poetry it rhymes ETC ), but im pretty sure that ship has sailed. sad. what the hell retro, what have you been doing all these years??
They were working on games that probably had rocky development and cancelled.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but it depends on how you define a generation. Also "generations" are arbitrary at this point, it's no longer the difference between 8-bit to 16-bit and so on. I'd say a more accurate description of a generation nowadays is a significantly different new hardware with brand new games designed for that new hardware, in that sense Switch is Gen 9.

*edit - What is the current gen to you 8 or 9?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but it depends on how you define a generation. Also "generations" are arbitrary at this point, it's no longer the difference between 8-bit to 16-bit and so on. I'd say a more accurate description of a generation nowadays is a significantly different new hardware with brand new games designed for that new hardware, in that sense Switch is Gen 9.

*edit - What is the current gen to you 8 or 9?

I think it's a tricky one because the Switch is an entry in a handheld and console generation. It's in a category all on its own at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.