Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I dont expect them to fix everything in the country, but I do expect it to be mentioned that things are being fixed. Arabasta ended with rain falling to show how the drought would not be a problem anymore, Dressrosa had the other king mentioning how the neighboring countries would lend a hand in rebuilding the kingdom that was trashed in the fight against DoFlamingo. My main point here is not that the strawhats should have fixed the island, but how Oda ignored the main problems the island had throughout the arc and instead created a new one out of thin air. Wano not being able to fend for itself was not an aspect that existed before Kaido were defeated, in fact before the crew got to Wano people even mentioned how Wano was untouched because they had strong samurai that could defend the island. Wanos ending was dedicated to settling how many characters would stay behind to help Momo protect Wano and not on how problems were being solved.

We all knew that wano would have to fend for it self after Kaido get taken down .
That is bulid into the story like when WB died or when FI said they going to used luffy flag after the problem from BM.
Wano was untouched for the marines because of the samurai and the unknow but for the CD or WB it was because of Kaido .

grand

Oct 25, 2017
**one month later**

nobody-wins-giant-bomb.gif

Aug 12, 2019
I also really don't like people saying Yamato is another Vivi. Like Vivi got to be on the ship for tons of in-story time and go on adventures with the crew and her decision to stay in Alabasta is one of the most emotionally resonant moments in the series in which she is allowed to be an honorary Nakama. Sure, she was propelled by a desire to help her Kingdom, but she was actually allowed to be a legitimate part of the crew temporarily.

As far as I can tell Yamato got to bathe with the guys and maybe have a short party when his arc was all based around freedom before just being shuffled off page by Oda's last second off panel character "development".

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I also really don't like people saying Yamato is another Vivi. Like Vivi got to be on the ship for tons of in-story time and go on adventures with the crew and her decision to stay in Alabasta is one of the most emotionally resonant moments in the series in which she is allowed to be an honorary Nakama. Sure, she was propelled by a desire to help her Kingdom, but she was actually allowed to be a legitimate part of the crew temporarily.

As far as I can tell Yamato got to bathe with the guys and maybe have a short party when his arc was all based around freedom before just being shuffled off page by Oda's last second off panel character "development".
Yamato ain't Vivi, which is clear seeing the difference in how they were left behind, but it's an easy comparison in a character that most believed would join end up not joining. It ain't much more than that.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

It's also the reverse of Vivi. She wanted to save Alabasta, succeeded and then had every reason to stay. The idea of her going with the Strawhats wasn't even introduced until the chapter beforehand.

Yamato staying is more akin to if Robin decided to stay in Alabasta so she could keep examining the poneglyph.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Lotus hell of a year. Never thought i live long enough to see Flash canceled and the Strawhats leaving Wano

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'd say my biggest disappointment with Wano was definitely that there were a lot of opportunities for Zoro's story to get fleshed out that just... didn't happen. This could have really been a big arc for Zoro like WCI was for Sanji, but ever since the timeskip Zoro hasn't gotten to do much in terms of story and writing, he's just muscle for Luffy. I did like his interactions with King though.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to find the stuff you were referring to before but all I could find is Momo specifically not knowing what they saw on Laugh Tale.
I've only checked for Zunesha scenes in the raid and from what saw(and I could have missed stuff) Oda kept it kind of very vague so far what the journal actually says.

Fair enough. It is vague in how much of the history Oden recorded, but it having information on Joy Boy and Zunesha's relationship and his potential crime makes me think there is quite a bit of info in it. And Momo steeling himself as much as he did after reading just makes me think the journal had revealed something major, despite not giving the full picture. I could very well be overestimating the amount of information present in the journal, though.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say my biggest disappointment with Wano was definitely that there were a lot of opportunities for Zoro's story to get fleshed out that just... didn't happen. This could have really been a big arc for Zoro like WCI was for Sanji, but ever since the timeskip Zoro hasn't gotten to do much in terms of story and writing, he's just muscle for Luffy. I did like his interactions with King though.
Yes bruh. What's worse for me is that Oda clearly had more in mind for Zoro that never came to fruition. The Kuina connection, visiting Ryoma's grave, the Nidai, Shusui, Kawamatsu saying Zoro being in Wano was literally Fate! But nothing came from any of it.

People lamenting Zoro not getting some big backstop, meanwhile I'm like "thank God"
It's less "Zoro wasn't some epic child of destiny" and more "why did Oda introduce plot points related to Zoro that went nowhere?"

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New Anya reaction face just dropped:
bpus20j.jpg

This is the soundtrack to my next Sunday if Carrot doesn't join:
www.youtube.com

Naruto Soundtrack- Sadness and Sorrow (FULL VERSION)

You can purchase naruto soundtracks here : http://tinyurl.com/d8s7tau (US) http://tinyurl.co...
Actually this is more appropriate
www.youtube.com

Bleach OST 1 #19 Never Meant To Belong

Music StaffAll songs composed and arranged by Shiro SagisuSynthesizers and Programming: Shiro SagisuElectric and Acoustic Guitars: Makoto MatsushitaDrums: Ma...

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Also Luffy's actions & characterization are pretty weird considering how he used to act. Luffy doesn't take no for an answer but here Luffy just accepts that the trio (and Carrot) aren't joining as if he really didn't care either way. Like contrast this chapter to:

View: https://youtu.be/pdMUFT0pZaE

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Also since this is the end of Wano (again, fucking finally), what about Toki? Did Oda really create a character from the void century to do nothing? Really? And what about the poluted rivers and soil? Oda spent so much time going on about how Wano cant protect itself in this last few chapters he forgot how the island was not in proper conditions for living. He could have used the huge elephant who pumped water to fix the poluted rivers, he could have used a plant logia admiral to fix soil conditions, but nope, he just brushed all Wano problems under the rug and that was that. Ok, I will stop ranting now. Maybe I will like this ending more with time, but right now its one of the worst endings in one piece for me.
Dressrosa didn't even exist after Luffy and Doflamingo's fight. I think Wano will be fine. lol
It's only bad to wish death on an entire group of people if you happen like one of them? lol I just can't.
This is specifically for the Kurozumi. Until proven otherwise, the family is gone. It's over. What was their legacy? Nothing but spite for everyone. The adults ruined everything in their name. This is what history will know them for.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Also Luffy's actions & characterization are pretty weird considering how he used to act. Luffy doesn't take no for an answer but here Luffy just accepts that the trio (and Carrot) aren't joining as if he really didn't care either way. Like contrast this chapter to:

He didn't invite Yamato or any of those characters. That's a big difference.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Zoro shoulda gotten something. This arc had like 4 things he Oda coulda used to flesh out his character more.
I feel like it wouldn't have stung as much if Zoro didn't have so many obvious connections to Wano that went nowhere. How is Kuina a descendent of a key figure of Wano and the most connection of that we get is a couple of panels in a flashback??

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is more Luffy not taking no for an answer than a different characterization. He never actually asked any of them to join, whereas with Chopper he was adamant from the get-go that he join.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I am just happy to go into the next chapter knowing absolutely nothing as to where the story might go. It has been ages.

I'm high on this feeling.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Superhero in a bit!

I mean, he didn't invite them though...

He didn't invite Yamato or any of those characters. That's a big difference.

He ain't ask none of them mofo to come to begin with thats why

This is more Luffy not taking no for an answer than a different characterization. He never actually asked any of them to join, whereas with Chopper he was adamant from the get-go that he join.
He basically invited them this chapter. And the direct parallels are Usopp & Robin, neither of which he invited on board beforehand but still insisted they get on/stay/rejoin the ship

Stubborn ass Luffy is acting way too chill about Yamato, Carrot, Momo & Kin not joining. Especially considering his reaction to Vivi not joining. Or everything with Jinbei

Real talk: Luffy doesn't care because Oda never intended them to join the crew

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda wild King is the last of his race and is just going back to prison most likely. Like, no excuses for his actions obviously but his people are just gonna... die with him in jail.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
He basically invited them this chapter. And the direct parallels are Usopp & Robin, neither of which he invited on board beforehand but still insisted they get on/stay/rejoin the ship

Stubborn ass Luffy is acting way too chill about Yamato, Carrot, Momo & Kin not joining. Especially considering his reaction to Vivi not joining. Or everything with Jinbei

Real talk: Luffy doesn't care because Oda never intended them to join the crew

For Robin he did not do any of those things , he was going to save her and then let Robin do what she want.
It was Robin who then said she wants to go on the sea with them .

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wild King is the last of his race and is just going back to prison most likely. Like, no excuses for his actions obviously but his people are just gonna... die with him in jail.
Yeah, King going back to being a human experiment is a really dark outcome and completely glossed over with the admiral coming to oh-so-convenietly mop up the non-cover story beast pirates. Them dying or Momo actually having to deal with them/deal with integrating them into Wano society would have been way more interesting storylines.

I kinda hope cross guild raids that marine ship to forcibly recruit them or something.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Oh, I've been waiting for this a long time. I've been letting my frustration build up for a while and Wano sure didn't disappoint.

All of my slander, in all of my heart for this arc. So let's go over some of the most egregious parts.

Tama's power being the most plot convenient thing in existence was annoying and it's a solution for an even more annoying nonfactor that is the utter waste of crew members that the headliners were. They actively make the SMILE aspect of Dress Rosa so utterly pointless that it makes Dress Rosa worse retroactively

The Beast Pirates, top down are a complete mess of an organization and antagonist group. Headliners are worthless, Numbers are worthless, the Flying Six and All Stars get basically no time to flesh themselves out (It's especially bad with the all stars besides Queen cause they were around for years unlike the Flying Six who only popped up in the last act). It's astonishing how forgettable a Yonko crew can be. King and jack are actively erasing themselves from my mind at the very moment they got defeated. I bet I won't even remember what they look like a year from now.

Kaido has all these vague gestures to more important things like who the oni are, why he's torturing Wano, why he's awaiting joyboy and then the backstory is... WOW IT'S FUCKING NOTHING. What was Onigashima's old name, Kaido? Why'd you pick up the Numbers Kaido? What's so important about the Oni, Kaido?

Hawkins was a bum worth nothing with a mess of a fruit who talks cryptically to only reveal "Oh, I was the actual 1% man..." NOBODY CARES, HAWKINS, STOP TAKING UP SPACE. and the same goes for Drake, but it's doubly so cause there was at least expectations with Drake. a bum's bum. SWORD aint matter a damn in this whole back and forth

Toki gotta be the most useless flashback character ever with a power so specifically "This needs to exist for the narrative to happen" power that she's less of a character and more of a plot device. You're gonna give me a woman from the void century and... she just exists to give Momo a reason why he's not an adult? No context for why she's here, nothing to hint at? She just has one of the rarest fruits (it's been 20 years since she died, where is that fruit by the fucking way?)

There was essentially zero reason for the BMP to be in Wano outside of big Mom herself and I guess Perospero and the only reason Linlin was there is to be a plot convenient get out of trouble card for the Heroes. It's lazy. Hell, where the god damn hell are the rest of the Big Mom pirates? Did Oda just forget after the 3rd "kicking you off" gag that Smoothie and company should still be a fucking round asking where the god damn hell their Mother is?

Hey, you wanna talk about Zoro? Let's talk about Zoro. Let's talk about us having the greatest chance to give google maps over here some well deserved depth after just making the cool stoic guy with nothing much to say for the last, oh I dunno, ten years. Oh? Zoro's calling out the corruption of the government Oh? Zoro's befriending the SMILE village? Oh? Zoro vows to avenge Yasui? Oh? There's swords with great amounts of cultural relevance in Wano? Oh? Zoro's the strawhat befriending the princess of the arc? Could we actually be seeing the makings of a captivating storyline for one of the strawha- oh zoro fought the bondage guy and then passed out screaming at grim reaper and never even saw orochi... ok

Hey Momo, you're a young kid who's trying to put on a brave face and walk in your father's shadow despite being too young to truly do anything physically... how about we conveniently age you up so that you can actually matter cause who needs kids without skills, yeah?

The scabbards suck. No need to beat around the bush, they suck. And those that don't suck are so shallow as to be virtually indistinguishable from the ones that do suck. Only Kinemon and Kiku get something approaching a character arc. If you don't count Dog and cat undercutting Carrot's character arc.

And speaking of Carrot. Let's talk about the "potential nakama"

The problem with both "Strawhat candidates" is that oda didn't do anything substantial with either of Carrot or Yamato. Carrot's character arc is a fucking mess. Like how do you have a character whose core thing is avenging their mentor... and have them not take any real part in putting down their killer and go a step further and have the killer mock them, whilst putting his defeat in the hands of a Mink who doesn't have the emotional investment? On the other side of things, Yamato's character arc just goes nowhere. I don't give two fucks who becomes a crewmate. But if the intention wasn't there. Then build up the decision to stay behind rather than go "Oh yeah, I'm staying behind" and expect us to be like "oh yeah sure" That also goes for Carrot becoming leader of Zou. SHIT COMES OUTTA NOWHERE. And that decision would still be shit if it's actually "This is why carrot sneaks on board." like just garbage either way.

I dislike this arc. I might even hate this arc. It's not good. It's not even not good by One Piece standards, It's not good by regular shonen standards, and a lot of regular shonen is subpar trash.

And I'm not gonna talk about the Hiyori shit, cause that alone deserves its own post, cause that shit undermines so much of One Piece ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, y'all don't even know
Yeah, if it wasn't for one punch man fumbling it's latent arc even harder and taking even longer these 4 years in wano have been godawful in retrospect

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
King's contribution to the story is making one of the funniest faces in series history:

SvR1g-UFvc2wgeW5hGrxWBSSqT0AQq3jWkV2G_WRdmM.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Crocodile. One of the other few characters with a very open connection/interest to the ancient weapons and Caribou knows about 2 of them now? Although I'm not sure if he listened in on the Poseidon thing so maybe just one.
When would he have met these two tho? He went to fishman island with the strawhats, learned about shirahoshi, became a fake revo and got in contact with kaido crew than locked up unless I forgot something

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Crocodile. One of the other few characters with a very open connection/interest to the ancient weapons and Caribou knows about 2 of them now? Although I'm not sure if he listened in on the Poseidon thing so maybe just one.

He knows about both .
Now that i think about it would be funny as hell if it buggy he talking about.

When would he have met these two tho? He went to fishman island with the strawhats, learned about shirahoshi, became a fake revo and got in contact with kaido crew than locked up unless I forgot something

I don't think he meet BB yet , think he will give the info to him later on .
Still at this point i think Oda leaving it vague so it could be anyone lol .

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
There was a 2 year timeskip before Fishman Island happened in where crocodile was probably doing stuff and getting back into the game. So it's not really a timeframe issue if Caribou has been a Croc pawn from before. That said not saying there is much to this guess. Several other people would fit as well.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Been waiting for a them to announce a Zoro in hell spin off any minute... Dude beats the grim reaper in a fight off screen?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't caribou a rookie tho? Eh who knows he could know anybody if Oda wants it
Yes but I don't see how it relates. Promising rookies have been recruited before and as far as I know there wasn't like a thing where Oda told us only people making it into the new world get recruited. Ace was still a rookie as he was absorbed into Whitebeard's crew. Bellamy was a Doffy pawn just chillin in paradise.
Basically my only point is here is as far as we've been indicated what relations anyone has to anyone hasn't really connected to being a rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.