• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
His YouTube channel is lit. He speaks some facts tbh. Raw and uncut though, not for the faint of heart.

I attribute it to "barbershop talk".

He is a Sony fanboy with Trump level stupidity and hypocrisy.

He stated on his twitter feed that PS4 Pro is an 8TF console because TLoU 2 shots look better than Gears 5 on One X.

Guy is laughing stock.

Feb 10, 2018
What do people think will be the PS5s most common native resolution?

Eg will it be native 4k or 1440p checkerboarded/A.I'ed to 4k, 1800p etc etc

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I'm pretty sure that we goin to see the same resolutions in both consoles. Some games 4k other below 4k with reconstruction techniques.

PeterLegend

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think most games will be Native 4K, especially exclusives.

Some multiplatforms may use Checkerboard if they need more GPU power for effects/ray tracing opposed to resolution

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that during development devs will experiment a little bit with different native resolutions + reconstruction techniques and try to figure out how they can reach perceptual "4K" while reserving as much power as they can for other aspects of visuals.

Feb 10, 2018
I have no idea, but I will guess 1800/1900p with some reconstruction techniques. Can't see as low as 1440p unless maybe some game being really aggressive with Ray tracing.

I dont think reconstructing from 1800p or higher is really worth it.
I think we will see native 4k at the start of the gen and hopefully 1440p reconstructed to 4k after the first 3yrs. The hardware can be better used elsewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
I think we will see native 4k at the start of the gen and hopefully 1440p reconstructed to 4k after the first 4yrs. The hardware can be better used elsewhere.
Isn't 1440p reconstructed what a lot of current gen games run on the Pro/X? You don't think the native baseline will go up from there a bit?

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
- that's a lot of IP to talk about straight off the bat
I'm not putting much stock in this because it just feels like the person potentially making this stuff up just thought that it would be nice if everything happened in fives, but if they shown stuff due to be released up to late 2021 it`s not unreasonable:

-Bluepoint's game
-Studio Japan's game
-Horizon 2 (2021)
-Ratchet and Clank (launch or 2021)
-Maybe Gran Turismo, a smaller AA title (Wild?), or even another Studio Japan game - one might be Team Siren's and the other something else, there's a lot of people there and their last game, Astro Bot, was made in 18 months by just 25 people. Or maybe it's Knack 3: The Knackening?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure that we goin to see the same resolutions in both consoles. Some games 4k other below 4k with reconstruction techniques.

I think most games will be Native 4K, especially exclusives.

Some multiplatforms may use Checkerboard if they need more GPU power for effects/ray tracing opposed to resolution

Yep. And for both the devs will target the exact resolution, because leowring down the res for one console (in this case the PS5 like many think) won't bring any profitable performance gain due to minimal gap between both and that diminishing returns is happening. The only difference those extra CUs will bring are RT.
So for the start they will target Native 4K for most games and when we advance in time when games get more demanding and asking for finer RT or details or new techs, they will target reconstructed 4K (when reconstructions techs get as good as native ones).

I think we will see native 4k at the start of the gen and hopefully 1440p reconstructed to 4k after the first 3yrs. The hardware can be better used elsewhere.

You answered your own question. XD

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not putting much stock in this because it just feels like the person potentially making this stuff up just thought that it would be nice if everything happened in fives, but if they shown stuff due to be released up to late 2021 it`s not unreasonable:

-Bluepoint's game
-Studio Japan's game
-Horizon 2 (2021)
-Ratchet and Clank (launch or 2021)
-Maybe Gran Turismo, a smaller AA title (Wild?), or even another Studio Japan game - one might be Team Siren's and the other something else, there's a lot of people there and their last game, Astro Bot, was made in 18 months by just 25 people. Or maybe it's Knack 3: The Knackening?

Add Silent Hill which is almost given to be revealed.
Maybe GOW2 too.

Feb 10, 2018
Yep. And for both the devs will target the exact resolution, because leowring down the res for one console (in this case the PS5 like many think) won't bring any profitable performance gain due to minimal gap between both and that diminishing returns is happening. The only difference those extra CUs will bring are RT.
So for the start they will target Native 4K for most games and when we advance in time when games get more demanding and asking for finer RT or details or new techs, they will target reconstructed 4K (when reconstructions techs get as good as native ones).

You answered your own question. XD

Yes, i have my thoughts but i wondered what yall thought, hence the question.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
At least it's a good news for those who lost the bet and got shameful avatars, next week they will get rid of them and use their old avatars, or keep the current ones if they want to. XD

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill is a Japan Studio game. You think we see two from them? Maybe a launch game and SH? I don't think we see GOW.

Since we won't have a E3 this year so I expect both to be shown this year whether during the reveal or in another date. Maybe Silent Hill trailer during the reveal plus GOW teaser or a GOW trailer for a later date. Keep in mind even games going to be released in 2-3 years, they need to be shown this year beforehand.

Also I think the Japan Studio is more than just one team. Team Silent is working on Silent Hill and maybe the rest is working something else.

Oct 25, 2017
Since we won't have a E3 this year so I expect both to be shown this year whether during the reveal or in another date. Maybe Silent Hill trailer during the reveal plus GOW teaser or a GOW trailer for a later date. Keep in mind even games going to be released in 2-3 years, they need to be shown this year beforehand.

Also I think the Japan Studio is more than just one team. Team Silent is working on Silent Hill and maybe the rest is working something else.

Oh they definitely have multiple teams. Probably more then two. Would just be unusual to see two games announced from the same dev house in one show, but could happen.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was searching for something and saw this.
www.eurogamer.net

PS3 could run at 120 fps

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has claimed that the PlayStation 3 will run games at an unprecedented (an…
Knew about 120fps and 4D games on PS3, but 25.6 teraflops...!

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
So we've got two different dates. You'd think that 5th of May is out of the question, because they would have announced it already, right?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
At least it's a good news for those who lost the bet and got shameful avatars, next week they will get rid of them and use their old avatars, or keep the current ones if they want to. XD
From the speculation thread? I think they have to use the avatars until the PS5 is released (November) not revealed (soon).

Oct 27, 2017
I know, I know. Patents don't mean final feature, but this is kind of a neat idea:

twitter.com

Hunter 🎮 on Twitter

“New Sony patent will block spoilers while on your PlayStation console. It does this by keeping track of what you’ve played, and not serving you spoiler content #PS4 #PS5 https://t.co/Y9PQD6qa0x”

(New Sony patent will block spoilers while on your PlayStation console. It does this by keeping track of what you've played, and not serving you spoiler content)

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know the veracity of this but I hope this is true:

I also hope this the PS5 version that will be shown:

He lost me at "PSnow on PS5 will Revolutionize the service."

Nothing is going to change for people, if they still have the same internet service before and after the launch of the console. Someone's PS5 is not going to magically make their PSNow service run in a drastically different way.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Nothing is going to change for people, if they still have the same internet service before and after the launch of the console. Someone's PS5 is not going to magically make their PSNow service run in a drastically different way.

PS Now isn't just a streaming service, there are a number of ways the service can be revolutionized with the next gen.

- Using PS5 hardware in datacenters to provide far more power, instant load times and higher resolutions and frame rates
- If the dream comes true and the PS5 does offer BC beyond just the PS4 then that opens up possibilities for more legacy games on the service that can be downloaded to the console. Currently PS3 games have to be streamed
- Sony could revamp the service with a new business model for the next gen. This is a very wide open point where the content offered on the service could change in any number of ways, and we could see new bundles with PS Now and PS+.
- Sony began their MoU with Microsoft about a year ago, we could get an update on that providing us with info on expansion of the service to more countries
- Expansion to more devices like phones, tablets, TVs, etc. is to be expected with the service going forward
- Of course it's worth pointing out that the streaming portion of the service works very well for a lot of people. I've had the service for months now and have never experienced glitches, slowdown, noticeable lag or the service dropping when streaming to my PS4. The quality of the service can only go up from here and we know Sony and Microsoft are working together to improve both their cloud gaming efforts with their MoU

Now of course I have no idea about the persons credibility who made the claim, but I strongly believe we'll be seeing a lot of changes to PS Now discussed leading up to the PS5 launch.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
What do people think will be the PS5s most common native resolution?

Eg will it be native 4k or 1440p checkerboarded/A.I'ed to 4k, 1800p etc etc
When first next gen only third party titles hit, I expect dynamic resolution. With RT being a big hit on performance, I really hope to see an option to toggle 30 FPS with RT and stable 60 FPS without.
Are they removing all the awful climbing, squeezing and rock moving sections too? The game will be unrecognizable!
That was my problem too. You spend too many times waiting and doing little quest and then change realm (which took so many times) in the last third of the game. A really big flaw.
You'd think that 5th of May is out of the question, because they would have announced it already, right?
No, because of the "source".

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
PS Now isn't just a streaming service, there are a number of ways the service can be revolutionized with the next gen.

- Using PS5 hardware in datacenters to provide far more power, instant load times and higher resolutions and frame rates
- If the dream comes true and the PS5 does offer BC beyond just the PS4 then that opens up possibilities for more legacy games on the service that can be downloaded to the console. Currently PS3 games have to be streamed
- Sony could revamp the service with a new business model for the next gen. This is a very wide open point where the content offered on the service could change in any number of ways, and we could see new bundles with PS Now and PS+.
- Sony began their MoU with Microsoft about a year ago, we could get an update on that providing us with info on expansion of the service to more countries
- Expansion to more devices like phones, tablets, TVs, etc. is to be expected with the service going forward
- Of course it's worth pointing out that the streaming portion of the service works very well for a lot of people. I've had the service for months now and have never experienced glitches, slowdown, noticeable lag or the service dropping when streaming to my PS4. The quality of the service can only go up from here and we know Sony and Microsoft are working together to improve both their cloud gaming efforts with their MoU

Now of course I have no idea about the persons credibility who made the claim, but I strongly believe we'll be seeing a lot of changes to PS Now discussed leading up to the PS5 launch.

PSNow would also be key to that theorised idea of creating and sharing gameplay snippets also, at least in a way that doesn't require other people to own the game.

I'm still skeptical if that idea is possible, universally anyway, on a technical level. But at least PSNow offers a potential answer on how publishers would be remunerated for allowing that in their games, if it is possible.

Not that I think it speaks for the veracity of that particular rumour at all. It's easy to speculate how PS5 features could enhance the appeal of a PSNow sub though, and to weave that into a rumour.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I have no idea, but I will guess 1800/1900p with some reconstruction techniques. Can't see as low as 1440p unless maybe some game being really aggressive with Ray tracing.

1800p is 44% less than 4k native much more difference than the 15 to 20% difference.

calculateaspectratio.com

Aspect Ratio Calculator - 4:3, 16:9, 21:9 (Ratio calculator)

Calculate aspect ratio easily with our online Aspect Ratio Calculator. Input your desired dimensions to get the perfect aspect ratio for your images and videos.

Here you can calculate 16:9 aspect ratio of an image and PS5 will probably be 1991p if they reduce the resolution in multiplatform game. I expect 4k native starting the generation and maybe it will change but I expect most of the game engine will use dynamic resolution in the future. Some first party will stay with native 4k.

Last edited:

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018

Having actual hardware x265 encoding and decoding will do a lot to help people on thinner and capped bandwidths.

I know, I know. Patents don't mean final feature, but this is kind of a neat idea:

twitter.com

Hunter 🎮 on Twitter

“New Sony patent will block spoilers while on your PlayStation console. It does this by keeping track of what you’ve played, and not serving you spoiler content #PS4 #PS5 https://t.co/Y9PQD6qa0x”

(New Sony patent will block spoilers while on your PlayStation console. It does this by keeping track of what you've played, and not serving you spoiler content)

This is really smart stuff, they've been tracking player metrics for like two generations now, using those metrics to actually help shield spoilerphobic people with a "Spoiler Mode" option is a great way to spin things back around so that it's not a one-way street in regards to that stuff.

I wonder how this would intersect with the gameplay slice idea - would it bring a pop-up saying "hey, according to your account, you don't own/haven't gotten this far in this game, WeedLordGoku420's created slice may contain spoilers, do you wish to continue?"

also I just now realized the idea of the gameplay slice comes from the idea of a vertical slice, which is something Cerny has always been about. Clever bastard. He's taking all his favorite development techniques and figuring out how to turn them into features.

Status
Not open for further replies.