• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Bought some PINS yesterday but didn't time it well, nabbed it too early in the day, probably just going to exit now with a small gain.

Amazon hitting 2020 yesterday was a nice nab if anyone got it, I can't see that breaking below 2000 based on all the consolidation it did right underneath.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I set my parameters for XOM last week at $90 and $95 and it hit the upper end of those parameters today. It will probably go on a further major run if you guys want to get in now.

I might just sit on the cash here for a while and see if it drops to buy back in or start putting it back into my index funds to simplify my holdings more.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Well it's the end of an era for me. I was a zynga stock holder for years and had hundreds of their stock. Never made a fortune off my gains but it went up a respectable amount. That era is over and I now have Take Two stock with a bit of cash. Not entirely thrilled with this either. But I guess I shall see how Take Two preforms over the next few years

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hell of a turnaround in Dick's Sporting Goods today. They reported earnings this morning, and I think they lowered full year guidance by about 20% for EPS. The stock was down 12%, despite already being very cheap. It's now up over 12%, about a 30% move from morning low to now.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Hell of a turnaround in Dick's Sporting Goods today. They reported earnings this morning, and I think they lowered full year guidance by about 20% for EPS. The stock was down 12%, despite already being very cheap. It's now up over 12%, about a 30% move from morning low to now.

🤯

Looks like it bounced off a combination of the 2016 and 2020 highs. Down almost 58 percent from the all time high. Missed that one, oh well. Nice move back up for a trade.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
First, the algorithms will immediately buy/sell the meeting minutes. Next, the market makers will reverse it.
Darling: How can you possibly know that Blackadder? It's classified information.

Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

Melchett: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time! There is however one small problem.

Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered in the first ten seconds.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have Fed theater show today?

Hahahaha, finally. ESG still garbage funds for me though. Let's change a couple items off the SP500, and then charge way more basis points than a SP500 index.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I love autogenerated stock "news" headlines.
"Activision Blizzard down 0% since last earnings report. Can it rebound?" :S

What a great day though. Tomorrow surely will be a bloodbath.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
So I finally have a job where I will be able to have extra savings to invest in the stock market. However, based on all signs and appearances. I should hold off for a good while.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Nvidia is -7% now, it could recover by open tomorrow, cause their earnings wasnt too bad, they beat their Q1, but failed their Q2

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally have a job where I will be able to have extra savings to invest in the stock market. However, based on all signs and appearances. I should hold off for a good while.
What are you trying to do? If this is long term just start now. You can't time this. If you need this money soon then best to stay out until it calms down a bit.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly their problem is they are not losing money GME style. Then they might have been up 30% instead :')

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017

Pick an index fund, determine your contribution amount and how often and just set it and forget it. 15 years from now, it won't make a difference.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
What are you trying to do? If this is long term just start now. You can't time this. If you need this money soon then best to stay out until it calms down a bit.
Ideally, I'd like to have a diverse profile with short, mid, and long term investments. It's looking like I should hold off on short term investments and focus more on mid-long term.
You should for sure be investing right now. You are getting a big discount, you should be averaging in the whole way.

I suppose that is the best way of looking at it. I didn't know if it made more sense to hold off a little later in the year. However, for long term investing, I don't think it matters as much.

Pick an index fund, determine your contribution amount and how often and just set it and forget it. 15 years from now, it won't make a difference.
Given rising interest rates, should I consider any CDs? I don't see them as being that worthwhile, imo.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'm not going to get a cheap enough Costco. It's already back up to $450. Even with a lower than expected earnings, I can't see it dropping more than 10%.

For Nvidia, I won't be surprised if that doesn't get back down to $160 and below again. I tried to snag last night after hours for $152, but it never got there.

Jun 10, 2018
Everything green (so far) in my portfolio except for SCCO. Gonna be building up cash until the end of the year, hopefully GSBD stays sub $20 until then ,(planning a huge bulk purchase).

I'll lend some pocket change for NOK too at some point.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
i was waiting all day for a nvidia collapse, only bought 2 shares at 152 before it went back to normal 😞

Very nice. Didn't get in this low. I was looking for 150 area on the stock, was away this morning, and had a market buy on open for a starter position. Just got back, looks like a huge rip off open price. Now let us see if it can actually close near the high to put in a true green engulfing reversal candle day.

Not adding anymore on top of my starter position yet, though. Just that I needed to move off the sidelines sometime. I'll wait a couple weeks to see how things shake out. My overall view hasn't really changed on any rallies. Still expecting volatility on the way back up, even if the low is in.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia is a good example of a chart where you can zoom out first, and then zoom in to see what is going.

Even after today's rally, Nvidia is still in a trading range the past couple weeks.

5nYypGJ.png

Then you can get a closer view of the action moving to the daily chart:

cFYZmvZ.png

If you want to get more granular you can then move into hourly charts.

So there are two options here:

1) Nvidia stock is basing here trying to put in at least an interim low
2) Just a pause in the selling before the next move lower

Then If I see a nice break above the "box" area I'm looking at, I'll start targeting pullback levels where I'll expect the stock to hold. Would include these levels listed, but not the only ones if Nvidia got back inside this "box". Since 155 to 184 is a huge range. So I'll start to get more granular inside this "box" to see where I think Nvidia stock should hold.

Jun 10, 2018
I know I said I'll allocate some change to NOK, but I'm thinking maybe I should put that towards CEG instead. The push towards renewables throughout the sector lends it significantly higher growth potential, and energy companies have been shedding the "fixed" ceiling weight of being married to utility companies.