• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Black people had to create Bet just to get some fair representation on tv. For a lot of it's something that is gonna have to come from hispanic writers and directors. You shouldn't expect others to accurately represent your race or culture or you will be disappointed for the most part.

But I don't want us to be separate, I just want us cast in regular roles.
No film set in LA, NYC, or Miami or Texas should be so white

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine writing, producing, and casting in a movie in LA without considering Hispanic characters and actors.

The city is named Los Angeles ffs

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing issues of representation, prior severe infraction
Movies start with script, if the script writer thinks that the story characters are white, they usually are.
I'm pretty sure that Hispanic writer thinks that main characters are hispanic, it's a normal thing.

If you start forcing different ethnics in the movie or a game for the sake of it, the story gets molested because it wasn't the writers intention, so respect the script is what i'm saying.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I mean, we have plenty of movies with Hispanics on every Latin American country that keeps coming out every year.

why target Hollywood on this?

Or American descendant of Latinos are different from the people of Latin America?
I don't live or have ever lived in Latin America. Many of that 18 percent haven't either. THIS is our home, and our films don't represent us

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Movies start with script, if the script writer thinks that the story characters is white, they usually are.
I'm pretty sure that Hispanic writer thinks that main characters are hispanic, it's a normal thing.

If you start forcing different ethnics in the movie or a game for the sake of it, the story gets molested because it wasn't the writers intention, so respect to scrip is what i'm saying.

Nah
It's not about catering the role to Hispanic Americans, it's about roles in which the characters ethnicity/culture doesn't mean anything to the story. For example, literally almost every fucking movie.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
But I don't want us to be separate, I just want us cast in regular roles.
No film set in LA, NYC, or Miami or Texas should be so white

I mean in an ideal world without institutional racism, minorities would get equal rights free of scratching and clawing inch by inch for it - but that's not the world we live in.

Jun 10, 2018
I don't think that starting beef with black folks. He's right too. Diversity in Hollywood means "add a black person" and sometimes an East Asian person.
Given the streak of anti-blackness was that runs undercurrent to Latin America at large, I'm not ready to dismiss SadSic's intentions so easily.

Again, it is pretty telling (at least to me) he immediately decided to harp on the progress of black people despite the population virtually never having any level of systemic power in America.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Given the streak of anti-blackness was that runs undercurrent to Latin America at large, I'm not ready to dismiss SadSic's intentions so easily.

Again, it is pretty telling (at least to me) he immediately decided to harp on the progress of black people despite the population virtually never having any level of systemic power in America.

personally i did not mean to pit minority v minority there, just to show the parity between two different minorities in hollywood representation - you can represent both at the same time, i dont think you have to just have one or the other, so sorry for the potential toxicity there

i get that a lot of people reeeeally find that offensive to think about so im cool with just not continuing that aspect of the conversation

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
now im confused once again about what hispanic or latino mean @_@

It's a culture not a race.

3ca6aacdb346114247d1d9ddf0c5ae85.jpg

Leo_Scor_Diaz%28GangsofNY%29-.jpg

Alexis Bledel and Cameron Diaz are just as Hispanic as Zoe Saldana and Rosario Dawson

Zoe_Saldana_%2828584925641%29_%28cropped_2%29.jpg

Rosario_Dawson_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Honestly if I wanted this thread to reeaaly cause a stir I would've titled it: How come Cristopher Nolan has never cast a Hispanic actor or actress?

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in complete agreement with you op.

Not really a fan of Shakira or Jennifer Lopez but I'm happy that two Latinas will be doing the half time show next year

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Idk about Joaquin, seems like a rare case, one that doesn't disprove or prove the point of this thread

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Being white and Hispanic/Latino are not mutually exclusive. Just like being black and Hispanic/Latino are not mutually exclusive.

Im aware that you can be white and have hispanic or latin ancestry. Joaquin Phoenix doesn't have any hispanic or latin ancestry.

For the purposes of this thread, using him as an example of representation sort of highlights the problem. It's a massive reach.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Something I had noticed on many games shows (Match Game is the worst offender) is that they have a disproportionate amount of black contestants and hardly any of other races. Never understood it.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Honestly if I wanted this thread to reeaaly cause a stir I would've titled it: How come Cristopher Nolan has never cast a Hispanic actor or actress?

Here you go, ask him.
If you want an answer ask him, why vent on a board where nobody here can answer why he chooses his casts as he does.
So go to the source, otherwise you are pissing in the wind.

Contact/Agent
William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment

One William Morris Place

Beverly Hills, CA 90212

USA

Agent: Dan Aloni

+1 310 248 2000
+1 310 248 2020

http://www.wmeentertainment.com/

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the thing where if you're white looking enough and don't have an accent, you might go by a more white sounding name for the sake of it being easier on you professionally(I'm so guilty of that lol) which I imagine happens in acting too. Probably not great for representation since a lot of white latinos take the path of least resistance(again, I'm guilty. Job interviews were a lot easier when I started going by my middle name lol)

Right, Martin & Charlie Sheen.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of Xolo Maridueña from Cobra Kai.

He's a good actor. Hope he makes it onto the silver screen at some point.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's been mentioned but Netflix is about to put out an animated show called Seis Manos that stars an all-Hispanic cast. It's done by the Castlevania studio too; should be pretty lit.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Care to explain why you are shaking your head? Why other races aren't as accurately represented according to their population percentages?
You're complaining about the amount of Black Americans compared to other minorities rather than just complaining about the lack of minorities or a specific minority.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even Guillermo del toro and Ianuritu and Alfonso Cuaron barely cast Hispanics in their major Hollywood pics
They may be hispanic but they're white/caucasian hispanics. Still, it's a shame not even them are trying to push for better representation. We live in a world where these three guys have collectively won the Oscar for best director five times over the last six years, but nothing has changed on this front. And frankly I'm not interested in the basic ass representation offered by the likes of Disney either. Zoe Saldana might be in Marvel's comic book movies, but she's all painted green. Is she also representing latinos in the Avatar movies? Fuck no she's not.

I recommend to you Mozart in the Jungle with Gael García Bernal in the lead role. It's not a movie, but it is great. And his character is true to his heritage.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another thing is that some Hollywood actors with Latin American roots (like Alexis Bledel, Viggo Mortensen) don't really present themselves as "Hispanic"

I'm white from Australia, and I didn't even know America was 18% Hispanic- and definitely made me wonder where all the Hispanic characters are at... but

isnt it a bit funky to say they aren't Hispanic enough or don't "act Hispanic"- I mean who are we to say theyare or aren't?
All I'm saying is you are getting into some tricky territory trying to define who someone else is like that.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Fair enough.

I am just a Latin American born and raised in LATAM so my experienced probably differ from Americans.

I'm Hispanic-American and I'm like that guy you quoted. Us, second generation and beyond Hispanic-Americans, don't really identify much with Latino tv and movies. Some of us don't even Spanish or have never been to Latin America.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
You're complaining about the amount of Black Americans compared to other minorities rather than just complaining about the lack of minorities or a specific minority.
I'm wondering why one minority is way more represented than the others in these game shows. I'm not saying have less black contestants. Looking for answers and not finding any here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering why one minority is way more represented than the others in these game shows. I'm not saying have less black contestants. Looking for answers and not finding any here.
You're complaining about "overt" Black representation in a Hispanic/Latino representation in American movies thread. It's Anti Blackness.