• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Either provide quoted evidence of my consistent anti blackness or STFU

On topic, I'll leave it al this. I hope Hispanics get the repsentation they deserve but I don't know if that will happen will Trump as President.
All anyone needs to do is enter any thread that involves a cop abusing a black person that you've also posted in to see you do your usual and it's funny watching you pretend otherwise, cop.

I'm sure you'll do your best as will your fellow cops to see to it that Trump remains where he is.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Hollywood definitely went through its "everything Latino is red hot!" phase in the 90s/early 2000s. Not sure why it didn't really continue on.

Jun 10, 2018
To get the thread back on track: I am in unequivocal agreement with the OP there should be increased representation for Latin Americans, specifically of browner/darker skinned actors getting roles beyond just the narrow selection they're pushes into.

My question is: Can the Latin-descended diaspora in the US ever reach a unified push for that representation when there are so many intracommunal factors breeding division? We have to keep in mind the separatism not only running of the nationalistic streak within LatAm people, but even the ingroups within those societies they identify with and belong to.

To give a proper invocation of the Black American experience, that group historically doesn't have the same problem because there is no prior cultural baggage of which to fall on (and thus, group vs. group Animus) thanks to it's systematic erasure via slavery.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
All anyone needs to do is enter any thread that involves a cop abusing a black person that you've also posted in to see you do your usual and it's funny watching you pretend otherwise, cop.

I'm sure you'll do your best as will your fellow cops to see to it that Trump remains where he is.
If it's so easy then find some quotes (don't worry I know you won't because you are full of shit) . Oh and I despise Trump. Seriously, you don't know me and you have no clue what you are talking about. You are making a fool of yourself.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I didn't.
I know Hispanic representation has nothing to do with black representation, and I wish y'all would take that convo elsewhere lol
I don't think they were talking about you. It's not your fault. It always happens sadly. We should be working together.

Anyway...

I see were you are coming from OP. I've always loved the character of Black Panther and loved the movie but sometimes I just like seeing black people (to be honest, minorities in general) that just happen to be black. White characters don't have to somehow justify their existence with a cultural tie, why should any minorities. That doesn't mean I don't like watching characters with cultural ties but a character shouldn't need a reason to be a minority.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
What in tarnacion?
as a half Cuban I must watch this

never heard of it!

But also, while I thank you for your contribution, and I will definitely watch that within the next couple days, this thread is more about general American-ness. Like, Oscar in the office.
just an accountant in a boring ass office.
that's what most people I know in real life are like, and Hollywood erases that.
I am white, but I am a huge fan of spanish movies. Hell a good number of horror movies and others I have watched lately are all spanish. I do very much understand the wanting for representation in major movie releases but do not sleep on some of the stuff being brought over. Netflix has more and more spanish releases (I also watch shudder alot) Diablero was a great series (and got me in love with Giselle Curry) , Roma is a fantastic series. Veronica is one of my favorite horror movies as of late, and is made by the director of REC (which are some of the best zombie movies ever, not to be confused with their english versions).

So I guess what I am saying is I feel what you are saying, but definitely do not sleep on the up and coming spanish film makers and releases that deserve the attention

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
We do have representation. In any post Vietnam war movie there's always a Ramirez or Rodriguez who says something in Spanish before he dies.

Oh wait, you mean real, respectful representation.

I don't know then, let's get on that.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Not that a lot more couldn't be done, but I actually think Hispanic representation is way better than, say, Asian or middle eastern at the moment. Lots of great actors mentioned in this thread already.

A few big ones I haven't seen mentioned: Giancarlo Esposito, Javier Bardem, Jimmy Smitts, Eva Longoria, Danny Trejo, and Freddie Prinze Jr. Also Gabriel Luna is going to have a starring role as the new Terminator in a month.

It is in absolute terms but relative to its population, Hispanic representation is pretty low. 1 out of every 5 Americans is Hispanic but but like 2% of Hollywood's big actors are.

From the article:

Despite Hollywood's attempt to be more inclusive in recent years, Latinos remain woefully underrepresented both in front of and behind the camera, a new study finds.

The Annenberg Inclusion Initiative at the University of Southern California released a study on Monday that found that of the 100 top-grossing films each year from 2007 to 2018, only three percent featured Latino actors in lead or co-lead roles. Producers and casting executives fared badly, too, with Latinos making up only three percent. And they were equally rare in the director's chair, helming four percent of movies studied during the 12-year period. In all, only 4.5 percent of the 47,268 speaking roles studied by researchers went to Latino actors.

The research was conducted in partnership with Wise Entertainment and the National Association of Latino Independent Producers, which promotes the work of Latino content creators.

"The Latino community has not been prioritized, and it is imperative that we shed light on the glaring reality of Latino representation in film," Benjamin Lopez, executive director of the association, said in a statement.

The results, the study said, do not reflect the number of Hispanic people living and working in the United States. According the U.S. Census Bureau, Hispanic people tallied 59.9 million in 2017, or 18.1 percent of the nation's population. The bureau estimates, too, that by 2045, one in four Americans will be Hispanic.

A bright spot was that of the three percent of Latino actors in lead or co-lead roles, about half were women. Among those were Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez and Jessica Alba. But even those numbers were skewed: Five of the 17 prominent roles played by Latina women went to Ms. Diaz, said the study. Additionally, Ms. Lopez was the only woman older than 45 in a lead role.

Sometimes, too, Latino characters ended up playing into unfounded stereotypes. Nearly one-quarter of speaking roles portrayed them as criminal. "At a time where Latinos in our country are facing intense concerns over their safety, we urgently need to see the Latino community authentically and accurately represented throughout entertainment," Stacy Smith, the director of the Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, said in the statement.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Race is such a nebulous concept and frameworks of race take different forms in different circles. There's nothing to change, it's a vague word to begin with.
Its not really all that vague. Race is used to separate people into have and have not. Just look at Brazil or Columbia and you will understand that Latino isn't a race.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I am probably one of the few that really loved the Dusk til Dawn series on El Rey

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018

I'm sure you'll do your best as will your fellow cops to see to it that Trump remains where he is

Huge party foul. Why throw a personal attack like that? I will not even touch on the "all cops are Trump supporters" thing that you seem to have going on

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
We do have representation. In any post Vietnam war movie there's always a Ramirez or Rodriguez who says something in Spanish before he dies.

Oh wait, you mean real, respectful representation.

I don't know then, let's get on that.

I noticed that too. Why is every other army fodder dude in videogames/army movies named Rodriguez/Ramirez? Who started that? Is that some homage?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because, as you've revealed, Hollywood (and the larger American moviegoing public) saw Latinos as a trend, not as people.

A lot of these actors are still working pretty regularly though, I wonder if the whole "well there's a role for a Latino in here, lets just cast Salma Hayek" is kind of a thing too which effectively locks out younger or newer faces from getting in the door.

Hollywood has a group of Latino actors that they draw from -- Bardem, Banderas, Del Toro, Hayek, Cruz, Rosario, etc. and not many others are given a shot.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I noticed that too. Why is every other army fodder dude in videogames/army movies named Rodriguez/Ramirez? Who started that? Is that some homage?
I served and.... a lot of people were Ramirez and Rodriguez tho lololol

we had some Zapatas and Cruz and Perez and Suarez and Zamoras and Lopez, but a LOT of Rodriguez haha

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Its not really all that vague. Race is used to separate people into have and have not. Just look at Brazil or Columbia and you will understand that Latino isn't a race.

What I mean is that there's no universal, empirical basis to any separation of humans into races, nor any agreed-upon metric by which to categorize those races. By virtue of it being a subjective concept, different people will have their own ideas regarding what constitutes a "race."

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is in absolute terms but relative to its population, Hispanic representation is pretty low. 1 out of every 5 Americans is Hispanic but but like 2% of Hollywood's big actors are.

From the article:

Despite Hollywood's attempt to be more inclusive in recent years, Latinos remain woefully underrepresented both in front of and behind the camera, a new study finds.

The Annenberg Inclusion Initiative at the University of Southern California released a study on Monday that found that of the 100 top-grossing films each year from 2007 to 2018, only three percent featured Latino actors in lead or co-lead roles. Producers and casting executives fared badly, too, with Latinos making up only three percent. And they were equally rare in the director's chair, helming four percent of movies studied during the 12-year period. In all, only 4.5 percent of the 47,268 speaking roles studied by researchers went to Latino actors.

The research was conducted in partnership with Wise Entertainment and the National Association of Latino Independent Producers, which promotes the work of Latino content creators.

"The Latino community has not been prioritized, and it is imperative that we shed light on the glaring reality of Latino representation in film," Benjamin Lopez, executive director of the association, said in a statement.

The results, the study said, do not reflect the number of Hispanic people living and working in the United States. According the U.S. Census Bureau, Hispanic people tallied 59.9 million in 2017, or 18.1 percent of the nation's population. The bureau estimates, too, that by 2045, one in four Americans will be Hispanic.

A bright spot was that of the three percent of Latino actors in lead or co-lead roles, about half were women. Among those were Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez and Jessica Alba. But even those numbers were skewed: Five of the 17 prominent roles played by Latina women went to Ms. Diaz, said the study. Additionally, Ms. Lopez was the only woman older than 45 in a lead role.

Sometimes, too, Latino characters ended up playing into unfounded stereotypes. Nearly one-quarter of speaking roles portrayed them as criminal. "At a time where Latinos in our country are facing intense concerns over their safety, we urgently need to see the Latino community authentically and accurately represented throughout entertainment," Stacy Smith, the director of the Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, said in the statement.
I'm not saying they aren't underrepresented, I'm just saying right now Hispanics have it a lot better than others. The fact we can even rattle off a couple dozen names no problem in this topic, but would not at all be able to do that with Asian, Middle Eastern, or Native American actors exemplifies my point.
A lot of these actors are still working pretty regularly though, I wonder if the whole "well there's a role for a Latino in here, lets just cast Salma Hayek" is kind of a thing too which effectively locks out younger or newer faces from getting in the door.

Hollywood has a group of Latino actors that they draw from -- Bardem, Banderas, Del Toro, Hayek, Cruz, Rosario, etc. and not many others are given a shot.
To be absolutely fair, this is true of all groups. Even with white people, for big name roles in movies you see the same people recycled like DeNiro, Cruise, DeCaprio, Damon, Pitt, etc.

Generally you see better representation (especially for newbies) on TV, where there's a ton of "unknowns" of all races.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I'm not saying they aren't underrepresented, I'm just saying right now Hispanics have it a lot better than others. The fact we can even rattle off a couple dozen names no problem in this topic, but would not at all be able to do that with Asian, Middle Eastern, or Native American actors exemplifies my point.

To be absolutely fair, this is true of all groups. Even with white people, for big name roles in movies you see the same people recycled like DeNiro, Cruise, DeCaprio, Damon, Pitt, etc.

Generally you see better representation (especially for newbies) on TV, where there's a ton of "unknowns" of all races.

18 percent of Americans are Hispanic tho.
I don't want to do the minority vs minority thing, but what percentage do this have?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also recall reading that Hispanics are per capita the no.1 movie going ethnic group in the US as well. There should be more representation.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not only that, younger people tend to go see more movies at the theater in general, the distribution of Hispanics among the younger population is far higher than 18%. It's more like 30%+.

For Americans under the age of 10, so-called "minorities" are actually now the majority of their age group. That's your future audience, Hollywood.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
18 percent of Americans are Hispanic tho.
I don't want to do the minority vs minority thing, but what percentage do this have?
Hollywood has never been a good representation of America, nor has it claimed to be, nor do I even think it necessarily has to be.

But I do think more representation in general is better. All I'm saying is that it's been improving over the years for Hispanics especially. There's more work to be done there, but others still have it worse when it comes to this.

I think getting more Hispanic people behind the camera is important in seeing it reflected in front of the camera as well, and this is happening, albeit slower than you probably want. But change does take time, especially when it's something systemic like this. Those old white directors who have been around forever that you bring up in the first post is a good example of this. Yeah they're not hiring many Hispanic actors, especially in lead roles, but times are changing and pretty soon they're not going to be the ones making movies anyways. The up and coming generation is a lot more diverse, and the one after that will be even moreso.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Never really bother me to be honest. But What I didn't like is when actors try to hide the fact they're hispanic, like I didn't know some of the names mention had hispanic roots.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i really don't like how quick some of you are to throw black people under the bus because you feel they're over represented. Ya'll know there are afro-latinos too right, keep the prejudiced shit to yourself.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
I also recall reading that Hispanics are per capita the no.1 movie going ethnic group in the US as well. There should be more representation.
well then we need to start making a bigger stink then. we are rewarding hollywood for their lack of representation. why should they ever change when there are no downsides to not casting latinos?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone mention Michelle Rodriguez?

I also want to mention Gina Rodriguez (plus Jane the Virgin is a great TV show with a largely Hispanic cast where at least one character is almost always speaking Spanish) but I know she's a bit of a sore subject since she's seemingly always bringing up black people when discussing representation.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
well then we need to start making a bigger stink then. we are rewarding hollywood for their lack of representation. why should they ever change when there are no downsides to not casting latinos?
Let's fucking do this.
I can't think of a good hashtag tho.
ans I think with modern twitter, one instense of us using Latino or Latina wouldkill the whole movement

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
name a single Hispanic in a David Fincher movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Wes Anderson movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Cristopher Nolan movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Quentin Tarantino movie
Name a single Hispanic in a PTA movie*
Name a single Hispanic in a Steven Spielberg movie
Name a single Hispanic in a Martin Scorsese movie

You forgot Soderbergh and Villeneuve.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel Films really needs a Latino hero, I know Robbie Reyes kinda counts but that's kinda over now.

Yeah, I know we had a big Latin film craze in the 90s and just vanished but I guess that was because 9/11 and everything just shifted to comedies.

And before anyone says Pena in Antman, I mean A REAL HERO WITH POWERS!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm glad my girl Rosa Salazar getting some roles but I agree. We need more representation as we are the least represented compared to our make up in the USA. It's sad.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I'm shopping for a hashtag to pull out come Februaryish time
So far I have:
#dondehollywood
#idontseeme
#wherearewe
#stopwatchingstartcasting
#18percent

some ofthese are trash I know. But I think #18 percent can have some traction. Just need the righttime

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I been asking for Hector Ayala to show up in the MCU, but maybe going with Ava who is the fresher face and also a woman would be problem.

Black Panther, Captain Marvel both hit and Shang Chi is on his way. Where our hispanics at? Luis is cool but not enough. I think I have heard rumors of America Chavez but she is literally an alien, I'd like to start with an actual hispanic.

DC should drop Blue Beetle, Jaime is a really good character kids can relate to and the scarab is fucking awesome.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Films really needs a Latino hero, I know Robbie Reyes kinda counts but that's kinda over now.

Yeah, I know we had a big Latin film craze in the 90s and just vanished but I guess that was because 9/11 and everything just shifted to comedies.

And before anyone says Pena in Antman, I mean A REAL HERO WITH POWERS!
They are addressing Asia first with Shang Chi and Eternals.

But if they don't have major Latino characters in the new X-men or FF.. . . I mean it's the perfect time to recast what is traditionally all white characters.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I been asking for Hector Ayala to show up in the MCU, but maybe going with Ava who is the fresher face and also a woman would be problem.

Black Panther, Captain Marvel both hit and Shang Chi is on his way. Where our hispanics at? Luis is cool but not enough. I think I have heard rumors of America Chavez but she is literally an alien, I'd like to start with an actual hispanic.
Living Lightning?

LivingLightning001.jpg