• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
PCSX2 / Evil Twin / 4x IR / 16x AF

evil_twin_3.png

evil_twin_4.png

It's looking good and thank you for the continued contributions

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
It's looking good and thank you for the continued contributions

thanks

hows the game so far?

i've completed the first area and beat the first boss fight,it isn't always clear where you are supposed to go next,at times the camera works against you and some of the platforms seem really greasy and too easy to miss.apart from that it it an impressive game with an interesting story.

i'd recommend anyone to play it but emulate over console because save states will stop a lot of frustration.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i've found a small area where using save states break the game,luckily it is very short.

evil_twin_5.png

evil_twin_6.png

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CemU - Reshade with Clarity, Reflective Bumpmapping, Curves and MXAO. Smash Ultimate mod 0.2.1
CEMU_Screenshot_2018.09.09_-_14.24.05.67.png

CEMU_Screenshot_2018.09.09_-_14.46.44.28.png
CEMU_Screenshot_2018.09.09_-_14.44.47.11.png

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
last two from this game,i literally just completed it.

evil_twin_4.png

evil_twin_5.png

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
so how is it? u liked it? seems good
need to try it

overall it is a good game and worth playing but as i said before emulate over console.there were two areas where save states broke the game but they were both small areas that you use to transition into the level proper.

i had to use a guide a few times and a longplay youtube video twice because i didn't know what to do to complete a level or area,but the story kept me interested and the environments were nicely varied.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
overall it is a good game and worth playing but as i said before emulate over console.there were two areas where save states broke the game but they were both small areas that you use to transition into the level proper.

i had to use a guide a few times and a longplay youtube video twice because i didn't know what to do to complete a level or area,but the story kept me interested and the environments were nicely varied.

Ah yes the days where parts of games were designed to get you to buy a strategy guide.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
You have a lot of random games I've never even heard of lol. Thanks for the variety.

this one i bought at launch (still have the receipt in the box) but how could i not when on the front of the UK box there is a quote that says "mace griffin is halo for ps2"?

for the record go in expecting that and you will be disappointed,just play it for what it is and you will have fun,there are some really nice ideas like the space fights between missions.

SSJTrunks

Nov 2, 2017
Loving the screenshots guys. The enhancements really give these games a new lease of life. I'd like to try this myself, but I only have an i5 3450 and a HD7850. Could my system handle it?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Loving the screenshots guys. The enhancements really give these games a new lease of life. I'd like to try this myself, but I only have an i5 3450 and a HD7850. Could my system handle it?

Absolutely! The first system I ran emulators on was an i5-3470 and a Radeon 6850. Could handle pretty much every emulator out there but was typically stuck at sub or barely hitting 1080p in dolphin.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Surprisingly detailed guns for a PS2 game
yeah,especially considering how low-fi most of the characters are,some wouldn't look out of place in a cartooish game like XIII.
Model wise everything is basically the same as the Xbox version. Looks more detailed in Xbox/PC version because of the shaders differences. The PS2 one is pretty nice looking, the others are a lot better though.

If you like this game definitely play Cold Winter if you haven't already, it's quite good on PCSX2 also. Probably one of little known now Sierra and of Sierra titles lesser known too, and yet super solid game.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
Model wise everything is basically the same as the Xbox version. Looks more detailed in Xbox/PC version because of the shaders differences. The PS2 one is pretty nice looking, the others are a lot better though.

If you like this game definitely play Cold Winter if you haven't already, it's quite good on PCSX2 also. Probably one of little known now Sierra and of Sierra titles lesser known too, and yet super solid game.

almost certain i do have cold winter.
just looked at a gameplay video but it doesn't ring a bell so if i have it i don't think i've played it.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
PCSX2 / Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter / 4x IR / 16x AF

you can see one of the two graphical glitches in the first pic where after a certain distance half of the screen renders lighter than the other.

mace_griffin_9.png

mace_griffin_10.png

mace_griffin_11.png

Mar 17, 2018
Due to the DQ thread I wanted to see what the older games looked like on DS. Desmume has the options to makes these actually look really good, but native look is absolutely horrifying. The Dragon Quest games are in 3D with overlaid sprites so it is eye cancer without help. Jaggies just everywhere you turn. It's like the whole screen is a saw.

But holy cow. 32xMSAA, deposterization, texture smoothing, and CRT Easy Mode on top... wow. Did not expect it could look so good after that horror show of an introduction. Better than I ever thought it was when I owned a DS. Will post some shots soon here.

Mar 17, 2018
CRT Easy Mode and full enhancements to textures including 32xMSAA. Dragon Quest 5. Amazing. This one is full 3D and the jaggies are rage inducing without an emulator played as native.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not saying you have to prefer the filtered image here, but this is one of the biggest transformations I have seen for an RPG of this caliber. A still cannot tell just how badly this game looks unfiltered through Desmume. It is grade AAA terrible. There are jaggies moving everywhere you move. The rotation and 3D graphics with sprites just does not work. At all. I honestly thought there was no way out.

But the second image tells you everything you need to know about modern emulation and what it can do. Of course this is my preferred look, but it basically I use my normal CRT Easy Mode shader for DS games--which looks absolutely amazing in Castlevania--and then I have to use OpenGL's feature set in the emu that includes: 32xMSAA, desposterization, and texture smoothing. I left on the 32 bit color for each as it did not make a huge difference. A couple other settings were left on, but those were the main ones that changed the entire look.

Texture smoothing does produce a slightly smoother image, but it also helps with the jaggies and gives the image a cohesive feel. It especially helps with floorboards. The eyes were largers and whiter without it, but some may prefer it off. Desposterization gets rid of the scraggly sprites that make blending look a bit low-res. I tend to leave this on as it produces a very polished image.

I cannot say enough how amazing this game looks. Make no mistake without 32xMSAA this is a horrible image.

Dragon_Quest_V_Hand_of_the_Heavenly_Bride_180926_073738.png

Dragon_Quest_V_Hand_of_the_Heavenly_Bride_180926_073910.png

Personally I think it would look much better with the higher res minus the filter. But it still looks way better than native res.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not saying you have to prefer the filtered image here, but this is one of the biggest transformations I have seen for an RPG of this caliber. A still cannot tell you just how badly this game looks unfiltered through Desmume. It is grade AAA terrible. There are jaggies moving everywhere you move. The rotation and 3D graphics with sprites just does not work. At all. I honestly thought there was no way out.

But the second image tells you everything you need to know about modern emulation and what it can do. Of course this is my preferred look. Basically I use my normal CRT Easy Mode shader for DS games--which looks absolutely amazing in Castlevania--and then I have to use OpenGL's feature set in the emu that includes: 32xMSAA, desposterization, and texture smoothing. I left on the 32 bit color for each as it did not make a huge difference. A couple other settings were left on, but those were the main ones that changed the entire look. My CRT Easy Mode settings are my toned settings, and they tend to be just a tad less sharp than default.

Texture smoothing does produce a slightly smoother image, but it also helps with the jaggies and gives the image a cohesive feel. It especially helps with floorboards. The eyes were larger and whiter without it, but some may prefer it off. Desposterization gets rid of the scraggly sprites that make blending look a bit low-res. I tend to leave this on as it produces a very polished image.

I cannot say enough how amazing this game looks. Make no mistake without 32xMSAA this is a horrible image. And with latency improvements through retroarch it's a joy to play.

Dragon_Quest_V_Hand_of_the_Heavenly_Bride_180926_073738.png

Dragon_Quest_V_Hand_of_the_Heavenly_Bride_180926_073910.png
How does it look without the CRT filter?

Mar 17, 2018
Personally I think it would look much better with the higher res minus the filter. But it still looks way better than native res.

It is not higher resolution just to be clear. Desmume will not play correctly with anything but native resolution. Yes, some people may indeed prefer it without the look of CRT Easy Mode, but for me I feel the overall look is better fit and reminds me of classic RPGs for Lunar. I will include one without that in it too.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It is not higher resolution just to be clear. Desmume will not play correctly with anything but native resolution. Yes, some people may indeed prefer it without the look of CRT Easy Mode, but for me I feel the overall look is better fit and reminds me of classic RPGs for Lunar. I will include one without that in it too.

32x MSAA samples edges at 32x the native res.

Mar 17, 2018
32x MSAA samples edges at 32x the native res.

Yes, but this is not in any way higher native resolution, which is unplayable on the emu. Just had to be clear on that as anything above native totally runs like crap. Yes, it does have MSAA sampling, but it still runs like butter. Okay guys there is the comparison of the three images. I vastly prefer the look of CRT Easy Mode added in there. Your mileage will vary.

Remember you can tweak CRT Easy Mode. I have a .18 mask strength. You can tweak that out if you want. Without a mask it still looks decent. Without CRT Easy Mode you can't tweak gamma though along with whatever else. The good thing about CRT Easy Mode is you can tweak it out of the picture if you just want gamma improvements or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.