Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly though, why hire Gunn in the first place if they're so concerned about people finding out about their director's past behaviour? It's not like Gunn made nice, wholesome family movies before.
I think Disney didn't expect it to be a problem.

Then suddenly it was a problem (or at least they perceived it could hurt their brand) and Disney has no loyalty to anyone but their shareholders so anyone who is a perceived to be a liability is not long for the Disney world.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Rehiring Gunn would only be the consequence of some very cordial behind the scenes discussions.

I guess this is a nice show of support though.

Feige could always pull the nuclear option and say hire Gunn or I'm not coming back when my contract's up.

I don't think Disney would let anyone muscle them like that.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I think Disney didn't expect it to be a problem. Then suddenly it was and Disney has no loyalty to anyone but their shareholders so anyone who is a perceived to be a liability is not long for the Disney world.

Disney higher ups were played and the reaction to the firing of Gunn is rightfully worse than if they did not fire him. The way I see it, bringing attention to this particular situation and how this was engineered by literally the Pizzagate alt-right dude that has a thing about saying that people he doesn't like are pedos and is literally pro rape might be an way for them to reinstate Gunn in one week or two.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feige could always pull the nuclear option and say hire Gunn or I'm not coming back when my contract's up.
Alan Horn (Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios) is the boss of Feige and Horn wrote this:

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him."

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
You got yourself a signature. I'm not gonna lie & say that I'll boycott Marvel or anything, but I do want the Guardians trilogy to be seen through by the visionary who got it started in the first place.

That would be Nicole Perlman, who plucked the property out of a pile of comics Marvel was looking at for adaptation and hammered it into a screenplay. Obviously Gunn was important in crafting the films, as well, but they made the original movie because Perlman got it started.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Alan Horn is the boss of Feige and Horn wrote this:

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him."

And Iger is the boss of both. After the merger with 21CF happens next week, I'm confident that cooler heads will prevail and Gunn will be brought back.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Iger is the boss of both. After the merger with 21CF happens next week, I'm confident that cooler heads will prevail and Gunn will be brought back.
You are going to have to boycott Captain Marvel and Avengers 4, if he isn't hired back and you are serious about being upset you gotta vote with your wallet.

And that means no buying Infintiy War on Bluray as well.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Disney should smooth this all over by telling 21st Century Fox to hire Gunn.

"Oh no, his contract was grandfathered in..."

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It's actually quite the oposite.

I'm not defendíng someone joking about raping kids comparing to something else just because I like his movies.

Or I would be defendíng Spacey because I loved Hpuse of Cards.

False equivalence. Kevin Spacey sexually harassed people and got his career killed - and rightfully so - because he never cleared his act. Gunn was fired over tweets he made almost ten years ago that he had literally already apologized publicly for long before Vol. 1 was even released. It's not the same thing.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel Disney could compromise with a solid "we accept his apology and understand he has grown as a person since those offensive jokes" and, if you wanted to earn some PR points, maybe just have Gunn donate a portion of his income for the next movie to charities that help kids, transgendered individuals, or others in need.

I'd suggest Disney themselves donate, but let's not hope for miracles here.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You are going to have to boycott Captain Marvel and Avengers 4, if he isn't hired back and you are serious about being upset you gotta vote with your wallet.

I'm quite confident that this situation will be sorted out in less than two weeks. I disagree with your assessment because the way I see it, the alt-right targets Disney because they know they have progressive stories and artists involved. Doing that is actually what the alt-right wants. I'm confident that the public opinion is very much on Gunn's favor and things will be sorted out soon.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017

Boycotting purchasing Infinity War on Blu-Ray would definitely have a larger impact than a signature on a petition.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
False equivalence. Kevin Spacey sexually harassed people and got his career killed - and rightfully so - because he never cleared his act. Gunn was fired over tweets he made almost ten years ago that he had literally already apologized publicly for long before Vol. 1 was even released. It's not the same thing.
Didn't the Spacey thing also happened more than 10 years ago?

I'm not defendíng Spacey, he killed his career and should be in jail.

What Gunn did isnt as bad, but you can't expect to work un Disney with that in your past. And poeple wouldnt care if he was a less known director, or a director of bad movies, that's what I think it's bad.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way to hurt Disney would be a mass boycott of future Marvel movies.

And I don't see that happening.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I admire your optimism but I just can't share your sentiments. These execs don't give a shit about 1 guy.
I've been following this kind of shit happening for long enough to be confident that this will be the case. Disney was played, and I do think they don't like to be played. If I had to guess, I'd say this gets sorted out after next Friday, when the Disney / 21CF shareholders voting happens.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mike Cernovich thanks you for your support.

Just because some alt right shit head dug it up doesn't mean it wasn't ever there for him to dig it up in the first place.

Associating supporting the firing of James with supporting the Alt Right is reductive at best, fucking stupid at worst.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

What Gunn did isnt as bad, but you can't expect to work un Disney with that in your past.

Spacey actually has someone claiming they were molested by him while Gunn just made some really fucked up jokes. What Gunn said isn't excusable but it really isn't the same thing.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

What Gunn did isnt as bad, but you can't expect to work un Disney with that in your past.

No. It happened 10 years ago and kept happening. It was publicly known that he sexually harassed actors on sets. Spacey sexually assaulting and raping other actors aren't compared with Gunn's bad jokes. Like I've said, false equivalency.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iger isnt going to lift a finger to bring Gunn back. He has way bigger fish to fry.

Remember how big this company is that he runs. This is a director of one film in one franchise. He oversees a company in which ESPN brings in more revenue then all their film studios combined.

He doesn't care.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a bad precedent being promoted. If someone from the opposing ideology finds old crap on you it's inapplicable. BS

Seriously left folks have been so embarrassing in this. It's old and he apologized then which apparently no one was aware of because of reaction to when these tweets were made public again. Thing is it happened, he may have felt genuinely remorseful but words have consequences in present or future. Now that EVERYONE knows, his redemption begins

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been following this kind of shit happening for long enough to be confident that this will be the case. Disney was played, and I do think they don't like to be played. If I had to guess, I'd say this gets sorted out after next Friday, when the Disney / 21CF shareholders voting happens.
This sounds like a wager. If you lose you gotta watch batman v superman once a day for a month straight.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So why exactly do you think the shareholders give a rat's ass about James Gunn?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Zatt if you're actually serious about this change your avatar and cancel your IW pre-order.

In fact all of you that signed it. Don't buy anything marvel until Gunn is back.

Signatures mean fuck all. You didn't even have to leave your futon/desk/couch/bed to sign in.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I dont think this is happening but its nice to dream

Yeah I get that. I have no idea either. But why are people so up in arms about him coming back?
I think its because
1. Mike-whatever is an alt-right asshole and he started this for no particular reason
2. His recent movies are good
3. He left all that stuff behind and its not like it was hidden

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Boycotting purchasing Infinity War on Blu-Ray would definitely have a larger impact than a signature on a petition.

7M8T7Wh.gif

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
So why exactly do you think the shareholders give a rat's ass about James Gunn?
We live in a social media world. Everything "matters", and I think those that don't believe that Gunn might be re-hired are underplaying the power of the fact that most people actually stood by Gunn for noticing that Disney was played by an alt-right troll.

I believe that once the merger voting goes through, Disney higher ups will perceive the mistake they've made and reinstate him. There's a precedent to this, see Sam Seder's case and how the same alt-right asshole got him fired for similar false claims.