• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Still on pace! Barely!

I enjoyed pouring another 70 hours into Fallout 76, and though I don't really feel like doing the season pass stuff (partially because it seems SO demanding of your time and I have a 52-game challenge to complete), I will say that in the end I think it holds up against other modern Fallout games. I do look forward to a return to single-player Fallout that isn't so focused on online events or farming specific spawns/events for loot, but if you wanted to play Fallout 76 as a Fallout 4.5 and ignore the multiplayer stuff for the most part, you totally could.

Neo Cab was short and sweet, and I really need to be playing more of these to stay ahead of schedule. I liked the story, the dialogue was always interesting and very relatable, and the art direction is superb. Definitely recommended. And speaking of visual novel games, Sakura Wars was pretty great too. It's maybe the most anime game I've ever played, so it won't be to everyone's taste; it's maybe a little too anime for me even, especially in the last few episodes of the game. But when the game gets to focus on its characters more and sets aside the main plot for a spell, it really shines. Not sure if I want to go back and crack open my PS2 copy of So Long My Love, but I'd definitely play a sequel to this, even if the Sakura Wars anime was... not great.

July is going to be a difficult month. I have a lot of games on the go, but many of them don't have obvious endpoints. I'd really like to get back into Hardspace: Shipbreaker, but it's hard to decide when I'll be "done" with that game since it's in Early Access and doesn't have a complete campaign yet. Persona Q2 has a defined ending, but it'll probably take 50+ hours to get there. Picross S will probably be similar, if other nonogram games are any indication. Dicey Dungeons is a roguelite, so it could take me another five hours or five hundred. So that makes The Last of Us Part II the game I'm most likely to finish this month.

That said, I have a mountain of short games I can and should be playing, so I might spend some time focusing on those for a bit. Especially as I don't seem to be able to play TLOU2 for more than an hour at a time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
49. Hollow Knight - 05/07/2020

Hollow Knight's my favourite game and completing it made me feel nothing. I'm tired.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Main Post
Finally doing another update to the list, this time finally hitting the ol 50 will be spending the next 1-2hrs finally addressing the descriptions of these games starting at #1
32. Doom Eternal (PC)
50081690066_1a32185089_o.png

33. Pikuniku (Xbox)
50081111878_3e11521199_o.png

34. Bleeding Edge (Xbox)
50081936517_7c0328cd33_o.png

35. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
50081936362_9daf29c5c0_o.png

36. Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
50081112093_92caf78e80_o.png

37. Resident Evil 3 (PC)
50081689821_a115cb27ca_o.png

38. Stanley Parable (PC)
50081689751_7b403641db_o.png

39. Monument Valley 2 (Mobile)
50081111978_9023e73afa_o.png

40. Muse Dash (PC)
50081112023_41055beacb_o.png

41. World War Z (PC)
50081936122_fa1d9985c4_o.png

42. Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch)
50081936557_146f6b98aa_o.png

43. OSU! (PC)
50081111918_f913ca9f7c_o.png

44. Helltaker (PC)
50081157418_3844d5ea72_o.png

45. Valorant (PC)
50081735891_d3fed466b2_o.png

46. Mirror's Edge (PC)
50081982332_75cce0a39e_o.png

47. Stick Fight (PC)
50081157358_3975c660f6_o.png

48. Just Cause 3 (PC)
50081157338_a504d6f7f2_o.png

49. Minecraft Dungeons (Xbox)
50081157303_01e7bca980_o.png

50. Hitman GO (Mobile)
50081982382_07e95405cb_o.png

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
COMPLETION COUNTER: 51/52

Latest Completion:
f7abdf9cabfc0c7f6cc2b7001424bc8c.png

51. No Man's Sky (PC) | 6th July - 35hrs | 6/10 | Completed primarily in VR on Permadeath Difficulty
No Man's Sky is one of the most shoddily held together games I have ever played, but it is also one full of heart. A true comeback story, No Man's Sky launched originally as one of the worst games I had ever played. A true, unapologetic skinnerbox with a misleading advertising campaign and an extremely shallow and cynical loop, the No Man's Sky of yesterday is nothing like the No Man's Sky of today. While many of the original systems are still there, they have been augmented by a variety of features, excursions, quests, and a nice little ludonarrative that calls to question why we play games to begin with if not to experience the joy and thrill of exploration in its purest forms: What are games, if not endless worlds, burning with the incandescent light of our screens long enough for us to experience them and move on?

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PC) | 1st Jan - 75hrs | 7/10
2. Florence (Android) | 5th Jan - 1hrs | 5/10
3. Observer (PC) | 5th Jan - 10hrs | 4/10

4. LongStory (PC) | 1st Feb - 4hrs | 2/10
5. Layers of Fear 2 (PC) | 3rd Feb - 4.5hrs | 6/10

6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC) | 3rd Feb - 8.5hrs 7/10
7. Gris (PC) | 14th Feb - 6.5hrs | 5/10

8. World of Horror (PC) | 22nd Feb - 2hrs | 6/10
9. September 1999 (PC) | 23rd Feb - 6min | 5/10
10. ШХД: ЗИМА / IT'S WINTER (PC) | 23rd Feb - 30min | 5/10
11. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (PC) | 23rd Feb - 4hrs | 6/10

12. A Short Hike (PC) | 24th Feb - 1.5hrs | 8/10
13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC) | 26th Feb - 20hrs | 3/10
14. Amorous (PC) | 1st March - 2hrs | 2/10
15. Higurashi When They Cry - Tatarigoroshi (PC) | 3rd March - 20hrs | 5/10
16. Higurashi When They Cry - Himatsubushi (PC) | 10th March - 10hrs | 5/10
17. Higurashi When They Cry Kai - Meakashi (PC) | 14th March - 24hrs | 6/10
18. Killer7 (PC) | 26th March - 20hrs | 9/10
19. Panzer Dragoon: Remake (Switch) | 28th March - 1.5hrs | 5/10
20. Sin and Punishment: Earth Successor (N64) | 28th March - 2hrs | 7/10
21. Black Mesa (PC) | 1st April - 26hrs | 9/10
22. Half-Life: Opposing Force (PC) | 1st April - 6hrs | 4/10
23. Half-Life: Blue Shift (PC) | 1st April - 3hrs | 7/10
24. Resident Evil 3 (PC) | 2nd April - 11hrs | 8/10
25. Half-Life: Decay (PC) | 4th April - 2.5hrs | 5/10
26. Half-Life: Alyx (PC) | 8th April - 12hrs | 9/10
27. Final Fantasy VII: Remake (PS4) | 13th April - 32hrs | 8/10
28. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP) | 27th April - 24hrs | 6/10
29. Phantasmagoria (PC) | 1st May - 5.5hrs | 2/10
30. RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition (PC) | 3rd May - 6hrs | 5/10
31. Detention (PC) | 3rd May - 6hrs | 7/10
32. Blasphemous (PC) | 7th May - 24hrs | 9/10
33. Alien: Isolation (PC) | 15th May - 26hrs | 8/10
34. Underhero (PC) | 24th May - 12hrs | 3/10
35. Beckett (PC) | 24th May - 1.5hrs | 5/10
36. BIT.TRIP BEAT (PC) | 25th May - 6hrs | 6/10
37. Detroit: Become Human (PC) | 27th May - 14hrs | 6/10
38. Overgrowth (PC) | 27th May - 2hrs | 3/10
39. The Flower Collectors (PC) | 30th May - 3hrs | 4/10
40. Outlast (PC) | 30th May - 9hrs | 3/10
41. The Quiet Man (PC) | 2nd June - 4hrs | 2/10
42. The Space Between (PC) | 2nd June - 1hr | 8/10
43. Faith (PC) | 3rd June - 1hr | 5/10
44. Faith: Chapter II (PC) | 3rd June - 2hrs | 6/10
45. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360) | 8th June - 20hrs | 6/10
46. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC) | 20th June -120hrs | 9/10
47. The Last of Us: Part II (PS4) | 23rd June - 30hrs | 10/10
48. Binary Domain (PC) | 29th June - 9hrs | 4/10
49. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC) | 30th June - 7hrs | 5/10
50. Kentucky Route Zero (PC) | 1st July - 16hrs | 8/10
51. No Man's Sky (PC) | 6th July - 35hrs | 6/10

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

June update: 31/52

The beginning of June meant a lot of school work before the end of this semester. It's also summer, which is a time when I'd rather spend my time outside (I don't live in a quarantined country, luckily) than just playing video games. Did have time to play a lot, though, by which I mean I had to a lot of time to play one, very big game. Also started playing The Last of Us 2, but didn't finish it until July.

Anyway, here's the game:

WzjpAuW.jpg

31. June 20th | Judgment | Playstation 4 | 87h 14m | ☆☆☆☆(/5)
Ryu Ga Gotoku studio are basically good at one thing and are acutely aware of this and thus have basically made the same game over and over for the last 15 years, but why fix something that isn't broken? I've enjoyed all of their previous games that I've played, and Judgment is no exception. Was a bit sceptical of all the new characters at first, but the writing was so strong that I had basically forgotten about Kiryu and pals when this all was over. Now I just want more stories with Yagami and Kaito!

I feel like said writing is important to really highlight here, because I really found it to be among the best the studio's ever produced. There are of course some strange parts here and there, and it's quite the miracle that Yagami never gets arrested or targeted by the serial killer he's chasing after, but other than some other minor things it felt surprisingly cohesive and better paced than most of the Yakuza stories I've experienced. There might be one too many twists, but they mostly worked really well to shake things up before the plot ever started feeling stale. Some really stale expositional dialogue here and there though, especially early on.

Gameplay is fairly Yakuza-like. You still run around Kamurocho, playing mini-games and solving people's problem between fighting hundreds of thugs roaming around town. Fighting with Yagami's two styles is an ice change of pace from Kiryu's one (since 6), and the acrobatic moves helps really separate him from Yakuza's more "brute strength" oriented fighting, but I also found them to be more stale than they should. Yagami rarely feels fast enough, and the enemies are so prone to blocking that you rarely get to pull off a full combo. You also get a move to basically knock out any regular enemy in one hit pretty early on, which makes a lot of the moves completely unnecessary outside of boss fights. Boss fights that are mostly great, by the way.

The final fight is a bit anti climactic just because it's the same boss you fought, like, a chapter earlier, but even then the presentation of it is great, and the fight itself really satisfying.

There's actually some more gameplay variety than usual, like the tailing and chasing missions. I enjoyed chasing as it was usually pretty short and though very easy looked pretty cool. The tailing missions were okay, but I feel like they would have benefited a lot from being more dynamic and not so extremely scripted as they were. There are also some lite Ace Attorney-like parts where you're investigating crime scenes and interrogating people which resulted in a really fun, full blown (but very short) AA trial at the end of the game, but other than that were more tedious than anything and felt like some sort of modern pixel hunting.

So yeah, great story and mostly great gameplay with some issues here and there. Really recommend Judgment if you only want to play the main story. Sadly, 100% completion in these games has become my drug and doing that is one of the more tedious experiences I've had in a long time. The side cases, drone races and friendship missions are fun and all (though there might be a few too many focusing on stalkers), but there's so much grinding to get everything. "fight 1000 enemies in this style", "spend way too much money", "play VR paradise over and over and over again to grind for even more money", "play mini games more times than any sane person ever would" are not fun things to do, but I'm a slave to these games and so I do theme. Really don't recommend it though. At least clearing every mission grants you access to a really fun super boss, but that's about it.

Also, and this is probably my biggest gripe with the game, the music's way too quiet! The sound effects are so loud and the music volume so low that the great boss themes are barely audible, and there's no way to to raise it in-game :(. There's also no karaoke which should make Judgment an automatic 0/5. It isn't, obviously, but it should be.

But yeah, highly recommended if you like the Yakuza games, but probably also a great introduction to these games on its own. There are issues here and there, but the overall package makes for one of my retroactive favorites of 2019. Really feel like this could become the studio's new, recurrent beat 'em up series now that Yakuza is going turn based RPG.

Soundtrack highlights:
Arpeggio
Λ
判決
Rake Your Inside

And that's all for June! As mentioned I also started playing The Last of Us 2 and have beaten it since, but that's a story for the July update. Stay safe everyone and hope you all have a great month!

Currently playing:
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2020.

5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 18/01/2020 SotN is always going to be fantastic but losing the extremely cheesy voice acting in the PS4 version is a crime.

42) Modern Warfare 2 Remaster
I had never played MW2 before so this was a completely novel experience for me. This was a great FPS game. There are a few COD campaigns I enjoyed more (COD4, MW, IW mainly) this is still a top tier experience.
43) Contra Hard Corps
I never got into Contra back in the day so playing through the Contra Collection has been a blast for me. I enjoyed this probably more than Contra III, but both are extremely good.
44) Operation C
For a OG Gameboy game, this is pretty solid. Classic Contra gameplay and wasn't just a remix/rehash of NES games which a lot of games did during that time. Worth a playthrough on the collection if you like the other games.
45) Mega Man 3
Going through the Mega Man collection as I had only played MM2 originally. This is the game that many consider the pinnacle of the OG MM series. It really is a fantastic game and has a lot of content for the NES MM game series. I still like MM2 more due to the level and boss designs, but I completely understand why so many consider this one the best.
46) Gradius
Still in my retro kick, I played through Gradius on the TG-16 mini for the first time. While I realize the historical significance of this game, I feel that there are plenty of better shmups out there to spend your time with unless you are a huge fan of the genre.
47) Air Zonk
Sticking with TG-16 shmups, this one is quite fun but very, very tough. If it wasn't for save-states there is zero chance I could have finished it. It's a fun take on shmups as it's very colorful and has goofy characters, etc.
48) Metro Exodus
I have mixed feelings on this game. I enjoyed the first two Metro games, but not a huge fan of them. That said, this doesn't feel like a Metro game and I didn't like it as much. About the only thing that carried over was the stealth option aspect. The story is vastly different as well as the atmosphere, etc. It's a beautiful game though esp on XBX/Pro
49) Mario Lost Levels
Ugh, this game is okay, but a step down from SMB1 and not as fun as US SMB2. Probably my least favorite Mario game ever.
50) Donkey Kong 94
Wow, this was a fantastic game. It's a puzzle(-lite) platformer which is a genre I don't do well in or particularly enjoy, but this was so much fun. I had a blast playing it and picked up Mario vs. Donkey Kong due to it. Has aged extremely well for an OG Gameboy game
51) Kirby's Dreamland
I had never played any Kirby game before. The game is not bad, but not great either. I suspect this might be a combination of being the initial game in the series as well as the hardware limitations of the Gameboy. It's good enough though I'm going to try other games in the series.
52) Blazing Chrome
With my retro infatuation, I wanted to play this modern retro-style game before it left gamepass. Really awesome game that is in the Mold of Contra/Metal Slug. Looks like a 16-bit game which is an aesthetic I'm very fond of.
53) Mass Effect 2
Such as step up from the previous Mass Effect game. I enjoyed ME1 and thought it was very good, but this blows it out of the water. Just a fantastic game that I truly believe anyone should try.

THere we go- Challenge completed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
55: Ristar. End: 7/6/2020. 2 Hours. Liked.

I've dabbled with this game a few times over the years, but never really felt the urge to truly sit down and play it. Until I saw it on Era's platformer list. And I thought it was just okay. It's a perfectly fine and suitable platformer, but I didn't find it as intuitive as other platformers. And maybe that's on me, who grew up on Mario.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 27: Just past the hallway mark for the year and I beat another 2 games this week.

46. The Walking Dead: The Final Season - I'm conflicted on this one. On one hand I loved experiencing the end to Clementine's story. On the other hand I didn't really care for the others in the cast. Did love that 1 flashback scene though. The best think I could say about the game was at least it was better then Walking Dead: Michonne.

47. Forza Horizon 4 - I'm finally going to mark this as complete. Have been playing it on and off since launch. It's my favorite racing game since Burnout Paradise on PS3 and such a joy to play.

Currently Playing:

1. Saints Row 2 - Was never really interested in the series, but seeing as this was included in GwG decided to give it a go and surprisingly enjoying it.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
#19 The Last of Us: Part II | 6/28/2020 - 22 hrs | 5/5
I really didn't know what I wanted to think of the game when I got halfway through. After finishing it, I loved what they did. The only thing I didn't like was the brutality of some of the parts. I loved the story and I loved the characters. I am looking forward to seeing what they do next in this series.

#20 Remnant: From The Ashes - 7/7/2020 - 11.5 hrs | 3/5
I'm a big fan of Bloodborne and decided to try this with some friends. I enjoyed the gameplay, but the story was pretty much non-existent. The world was cool and this game would have went to a 4/5 if they actually had a good story instead of short little vignettes.

Main Post

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
d20161201_07_Reveal_Trailer_Thumbnail_01.jpg

55. Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4) 7 Jul | 7 Hrs | ★★★★★
I played U:LL back when it came out originally but after TLOU2 I had no motivation to play games. Tried a couple and just didn't dig them. My buddy mentioned he was having same problem till Ghost of Tsushina comes out. He thought he might go back to Lost Legacy to get platinum. So I remembered I never got the platinum so I stole his idea. Did a collectibles run and a crushing run. I'll mop up the other trophies I missed tomorrow and Saturday

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
56: The Revenge of Shinobi. End: 7/8/2020. 1 Hour. Liked.

I honestly can't remember if I ever beat this game before or not. So I thought I'd correct that oversight and set out to play this game. I ended up liking it fine. Shinobi isn't my favorite ninja game series. And the level before the final boss doesn't really flow well with the rest of the game (introducing a maze level just before the final boss fight is not a great idea).

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
COMPLETION COUNTER: 52/52

WITH THIS, I AM DONE! While I will not stop playing games this year, I think this will be my last post in the thread, at least until I have a fully completed list of games. I'll soon be debuting my games writing site, and I'll be sure to post a link sometime in the future so you all can keep up with my completions. Nice work to everyone, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

Latest Completion:
latest

52. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (PC) | 9th July - 18hrs | 3/10
Siege of Dragonspear is just about everything bad about the first Baldur's Gate game dialed up to 11. Beamdog's love letter to the infinity engine is little more than sappy prose, poorly written and goofy shlock that feels more like a paint-by-numbers greatest hits of ideas from the Infinity Engine games that came before it. It is filled with anachronism, strange characterizations and an overabundance of hacky voice acting and poorly defined characters. Ultimately, as an interquel between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Siege of Dragonspear spends most of its time faffing about with very little to add to the overall continuity. Coupled with this is an extreme difficulty spike and an over-reliance on large scale battles, often strung along extreme tight corridors and a world map that is more linear than either of the games it is set between. Siege of Dragonspear is a weird game, a weak game, and one that doesn't really have an identity of its own.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PC) | 1st Jan - 75hrs | 7/10
2. Florence (Android) | 5th Jan - 1hrs | 5/10
3. Observer (PC) | 5th Jan - 10hrs | 4/10

4. LongStory (PC) | 1st Feb - 4hrs | 2/10
5. Layers of Fear 2 (PC) | 3rd Feb - 4.5hrs | 6/10

6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC) | 3rd Feb - 8.5hrs 7/10
7. Gris (PC) | 14th Feb - 6.5hrs | 5/10

8. World of Horror (PC) | 22nd Feb - 2hrs | 6/10
9. September 1999 (PC) | 23rd Feb - 6min | 5/10
10. ШХД: ЗИМА / IT'S WINTER (PC) | 23rd Feb - 30min | 5/10
11. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (PC) | 23rd Feb - 4hrs | 6/10

12. A Short Hike (PC) | 24th Feb - 1.5hrs | 8/10
13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC) | 26th Feb - 20hrs | 3/10
14. Amorous (PC) | 1st March - 2hrs | 2/10
15. Higurashi When They Cry - Tatarigoroshi (PC) | 3rd March - 20hrs | 5/10
16. Higurashi When They Cry - Himatsubushi (PC) | 10th March - 10hrs | 5/10
17. Higurashi When They Cry Kai - Meakashi (PC) | 14th March - 24hrs | 6/10
18. Killer7 (PC) | 26th March - 20hrs | 9/10
19. Panzer Dragoon: Remake (Switch) | 28th March - 1.5hrs | 5/10
20. Sin and Punishment: Earth Successor (N64) | 28th March - 2hrs | 7/10
21. Black Mesa (PC) | 1st April - 26hrs | 9/10
22. Half-Life: Opposing Force (PC) | 1st April - 6hrs | 4/10
23. Half-Life: Blue Shift (PC) | 1st April - 3hrs | 7/10
24. Resident Evil 3 (PC) | 2nd April - 11hrs | 8/10
25. Half-Life: Decay (PC) | 4th April - 2.5hrs | 5/10
26. Half-Life: Alyx (PC) | 8th April - 12hrs | 9/10
27. Final Fantasy VII: Remake (PS4) | 13th April - 32hrs | 8/10
28. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP) | 27th April - 24hrs | 6/10
29. Phantasmagoria (PC) | 1st May - 5.5hrs | 2/10
30. RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition (PC) | 3rd May - 6hrs | 5/10
31. Detention (PC) | 3rd May - 6hrs | 7/10
32. Blasphemous (PC) | 7th May - 24hrs | 9/10
33. Alien: Isolation (PC) | 15th May - 26hrs | 8/10
34. Underhero (PC) | 24th May - 12hrs | 3/10
35. Beckett (PC) | 24th May - 1.5hrs | 5/10
36. BIT.TRIP BEAT (PC) | 25th May - 6hrs | 6/10
37. Detroit: Become Human (PC) | 27th May - 14hrs | 6/10
38. Overgrowth (PC) | 27th May - 2hrs | 3/10
39. The Flower Collectors (PC) | 30th May - 3hrs | 4/10
40. Outlast (PC) | 30th May - 9hrs | 3/10
41. The Quiet Man (PC) | 2nd June - 4hrs | 2/10
42. The Space Between (PC) | 2nd June - 1hr | 8/10
43. Faith (PC) | 3rd June - 1hr | 5/10
44. Faith: Chapter II (PC) | 3rd June - 2hrs | 6/10
45. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360) | 8th June - 20hrs | 6/10
46. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC) | 20th June -120hrs | 9/10
47. The Last of Us: Part II (PS4) | 23rd June - 30hrs | 10/10
48. Binary Domain (PC) | 29th June - 9hrs | 4/10
49. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC) | 30th June - 7hrs | 5/10
50. Kentucky Route Zero (PC) | 1st July - 16hrs | 8/10
51. No Man's Sky (PC) | 6th July - 35hrs | 6/10
52. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (PC) | 9th July - 18hrs | 3/10

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
100. Sky Force Reloaded
header.jpg

Didn't enjoy it as much as its predecessor and its reliance on level gating, requiring earning medals from higher difficulties in order to unlock later stages, as well as incremental upgrades to your ship put a damper on my enjoyment of the game. If anything, at least the game has harder hitting enemies this time around.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

14. Far Cry 2 - 12 hours
Back in 2008 when Far Cry 2 just released, I thought it was boring and repetitive mess with barely functional gameplay. 12 years later, I gave it another chance and, to my big surprise, enjoyed this game a lot more than I expected. There's still a lot of things that I can criticize in Far Cry 2, but it has great combat and a bunch of innovative ideas, and it was a fun game to occasionally mess around for an hour or two. Also, I highly recommend installing Real Africa SweetFX mod before playing Far Cry 2, it removes this terrible brown filter that the game has by default and makes visuals a lot better. My full impressions about this game can be found in my video review - https://youtu.be/vj_ZcbhQKFI

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) | 530 hours
This game consumed me. I was putting in 8-10 hours everyday for weeks and I'm still playing it to this day, if only for an hour or two a day. This is the best Animal Crossing yet, flaws and all.

2. Mortal Kombat X (PC) | 4.20 hours
Played through the story mode and it was wacky as hell, in a good way. It's neat to have a new, younger generation of fighters in addition to the existing aging characters. I had played MK9 a few years ago so I had to watch the story mode cut scenes to catch up on the story before starting X.

3. Mortal Kombat 11 (Switch) | 6.25 hours
Had this on the Switch and it's such a huge downgrade coming from the PC version of MKX. haha
It's playable but it's ugly when it transitions from a cut scene to the actual in-game fighting. I'll eventually get to the DLC, Aftermath, after it's been discounted in price. Playing through these Mortal Kombat games make me want to go back and visit the PS2-era ones I missed out on.

4. Killer Instinct Classic (Xbox One) | 0.25 hour
Just bought an Xbox One and revisited Killer Instinct. I completed the game as Sabrewulf as I slowly remember how to chain combos and the like. I think it only took me 10 tries to defeat Eyedol. I forgot how cheap he can be.

5. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) | 11.5 hours
Taking on a friend's advice, I played through The Last of Us on easy. It was my first time playing it and it was such a wonderful experience. My favorite part of the game is the winter section with Ellie. The game had me thinking for awhile after the credits rolled. I have The Last of Us II on hand but will hold off a bit to let this game sink in.

6. The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4) | 2.5 hours
The next day after finishing The Last of Us, I tackled the DLC, Left Behind. It was okay. Right from the start, there's this sense of dread where you not wondering what's going to happen, but how it's going to happen.

7. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (PS4) | 5.5 hours
Yep, I went to play the first Uncharted after completing The Last of Us. I remember playing through half the game back when I had it on PS3 and never finished it. I think I died more from missing ledges than I did from the gunfights. :/

8. Horizon Chase Turbo (PS4) | 8 hours
Needed a different game after having gone through two story-driven campaigns. Got this with PS+ and the freezing nearly stopped me from playing it. It was freezing up on me every three races. Still a fun game but not something I care about to try and get more trophies.

9. Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 (PS2) | 0.50 hour
Busted out the PS2 and was in the mood for one of my favorites. Went through the Arcade mode and fought a mid-boss (Geese Howard) and boss (Akuma) but didn't match up with a secret boss. Had to get a Finest KO but never got it.

10. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS2) | 0.50 hour
Booted up another favorite. I forgot that there's a points system in order to unlock characters, alternate colors, and art. I had a save file somewhere that had all the characters but I can't find that particular memory card. I guess I'll play this from time to time to do it all over again.

After revisiting those two PS2 games, I definitely need a new DualShock 2 or an alternative. New official DualShock 2s are too expensive, which is understandable given that it's no longer in production and new units are scarce. So, I bought the Brook PS3/PS4-to-PS2 adapter so that I can use my DualShock 4s and PS4 arcade sticks on my PS2. I think I'll have to purchase more PS4 controllers so that I can use them years from now as they wear out over time. If it works well enough, I'll buy a second Brook adapter.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
main post

33. Super Mario 64 (N64) | 11th July - 14 hours | 8/10

This is my first replay in a couple of decades. I've played all 3D Mario games except Sunshine and, to me, Super Mario 64 is hands down the hardest 3D Mario game. Odyssey is a joke compared to this.

EcpwdM_XgAECRL8

Oct 27, 2017
35. Yakuza 5 | 7th Jul | 5/5

This is an excellent Yakuza game. The pacing is a mess and the main story is so convoluted that only a great ending could save it. But the ending is... not much better than the rest of the main story. So why give it 5 out 5? Because this is one of the finest short story compilations ever put into game form. Almost each playable character has a side gig with its own mechanics, from street racing to bear hunting to an idol career. They deepen the characters and the game and, to quote one of Haruka Sawamura's songs, give it "So Much More." So what if the overarching narrative doesn't hold together? It's more of a framing device, anyway. There are so many stories in this game, and many of them so good (Saejima's story in Sapporo in particular), that this game was absolutely worth the 65 hours I put into completing every side mission and substory. Plus, the fully powered up version of Kiryu in this one whips complete ass.

Main Post

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
main post

34. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | 12 July - 12 hours | 8/10

Played it over 2 decades ago on my GameBoy DMG-001. Couldn't remember anything specific besides having to collect instruments and that there were mario characters in it. Was a pretty good time.

EcubYJ2X0AAIuhP

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
main post

34. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | 12 July - 12 hours | 8/10

Played it over 2 decades ago on my GameBoy DMG-001. Couldn't remember anything specific besides having to collect instruments and that there were mario characters in it. Was a pretty good time.

EcubYJ2X0AAIuhP

Didn't realize the game was that short. I'll have to put this on my list.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
JE4JzeEm.png

30. B3 Game Expo for Bees (2016, Wii U) ★★☆☆☆
In the absence of E3 this year, I figured it was time dig this one up. B3 is a short game in which you play as a bee security guard, protecting the B3 Game Expo hive from an unwanted bear visitor. Honestly, despite its reputation as a meme of sorts, I kind of admire this project: the creator(s) set out to make some bee puns while parodying E3 presentations, and that's exactly what they did.
The game mostly has you flying around a few rooms in first-person view, scanning objects Metroid Prime style, and collecting several doodads. The writing on these scans isn't exactly comedy gold, but they cover eventualities such as players returning to re-scan objects several times or out of order. Ultimately I think the game has a few very glaring problems (no adjustable aim speed, no inverted aim option, and it really requires you to scour every nook and cranny for coins to progress) which are difficult to overlook. But it's not a low-effort product either, and it beats sitting through an E3 EA Play Live show.

5Dl3cbVm.png

31. Astebreed (2018, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Astebreed has the veneer of a Sega Naomi/DreamCast shooter, and borrows visual cues from Neon Genesis Evangelion to lure you into thinking it can hang with Sin & Punishment or Bangai-O. In practice though, it shows only a surface-level understanding of the things it's aping, and supplements itself with reheated mecha anime tropes and cooing characters. It aims for Gundam Wing but lands on Knights of Sidonia.
None of this is to say the game is bad, but it feels highly derivative. Sure it's still fairly satisfying, zooming through the levels, blasting foes with lasers, homing missiles, and deflecting shots with your sword... But the game never convinced me anything was at stake, which is a problem given the amount of work put into dialogue and cut-scenes. The story here is superfluous at best, and a detriment at worst - and it feels like the developers knew this, since you're offered to ignore it from the outset.

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
33/52

3B93Nx4.jpg

Guild Wars 2: A Bug in the System | 4/5 | 19 hours | Played with Whimsicalish

This has actually been "done" for awhile and I've just been lazy and haven't posted. This next bit of the story took us to some islands to try to rally more forces to our cause for our apparently eventual showdown with the current (well, when this content was current) big bad Palawa Joko. He's similar to The Lich King from World of Warcraft. We got a couple of scientists and a group of shaman like cat-people to join our cause.

We spent a decent amount of time doing the majority of the achievements for this episode so we can unlock the "meta" achievement for the story for a piece of gear. There was also a mini-questline to unlock a large bag which I desperately need because I have a hard time letting trash go that I don't need.

We've been plugging away at the next chapter and, unfortunately, rolled some alts so that's been eating up a lot of time. We're going to count the time on those new characters towards our next chapter, whenever we finish it.

Main Post

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
57: The Legend of Zelda. End: 7/14/2020. 3 Hours. Loved.

Sometimes it's important to just play a game and get lost in it. I've played through this game a few times, and I've had fun every time. What an adventure.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 28: Finished only 1 game this week and it's looking like I'll finish another game before Ghosts of Tsushima releases.

48. Saints Row 2 - Had a lot of fun with the game although you can definitely see and feel it's age. Story was all kinds of crazy and I love it for that and the soundtrack has some bangers on it.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 76 - Welp. Fell back into the rabbit hole as I wanted to play the Wastelanders expansion and while still a buggy mess it has been fun returning to West Virginia.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Not very far into it. I'd say 25% thru at most looking to get thru this one this week if possible before Ghosts of Tsushima releases.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
47 | Guild Wars 2: Long Live the Lich
PC | July 14 | 61 hrs | 3/5
2vkeBJG.png

I did not care for this story mission in Living Season 4. We came to an end with our big baddie. I joked to Lobotomaxx how he was gonna be beaten and uhh it was kinda disappointing. My "joke" of dealing with an immortal enemy was almost spot on...maybe I should apply to be a writer for Anet.

Story aside the new zone was...ehh my least favorite in this series of patches so far. The meta is very bland. Aesthetically the zone looks and feels like a battlefield. But playing in the zone isn't much fun. I don't fancy the achievements that encourage farming for random item drops nor do I like the racing events. Bleh.

Now the roller beetle mount is my least favorite mount. Sure it's cute but it controls doesn't mesh with me. I know it's a practice thing, so nothing wrong with it. Just not for me personally.

Main Post

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Well, crap. The *earliest* that I've gotten this challenge over with in prior years was December, and now in the first half of July I'm already done with it... it makes me wonder just how many games I'll end it with this year!

#41 Higurashi: Chapter 4 – Himatsubushi – Completed 6/17/2020 Vita – 5 hours
#42 Higurashi: Chapter 5 – Meakashi – Completed 6/20/2020 Vita – 10 hours
#43 Higurashi: Chapter 6 – Tsumihoroboshi – Completed 6/22/2020 Vita – 10 hours
#44 Higurashi: Chapter 7 – Minagoroshi – Completed 6/23/2020 Vita – 10 hours
#45 Higurashi: Chapter 8 – Matsuribayashi – Completed 6/24/2020 PC – 13 hours
#46 Flower – Completed 6/28/2020 PC – 1 hour
#47 Civilization: Beyond Earth – Completed 7/2/2020 PC – 14 hours
#48 Civilization V: Brave New World – Completed 7/6/2020 PC – 43 hours
#49 Touhou: Luna Nights – Completed 7/7/2020 PC – 4 hours
#50 Prey (2017) – Completed 7/9/2020 PC – 16 hours
#51 Return of the Obra Dinn – Completed 7/10/2020 PC – 7 hours
#52 Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PC) – Completed 7/11/2020 PC – 87 hours
#53 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night – Completed 7/14/2020 Vita – 10 hours

Higurashi - I swear I'm gonna make a thread on this soon, but I'll say that it's been a fun time helping the Vita homebrew port developer test his ports for my playthrough, and the VN itself is great. Truthfully, I don't know how many people will end up playing Higurashi this way after me - but it still feels pretty great to have helped support the dev's pet project.

Flower - I remembered playing the demo for this back on the PS3 around the time it came out (I think?) but I actually never got around to playing it. I figured I would pick it up during the sale, and give it a shot. It was alright. The controls were a little frustrating, and the visuals don't wow me as much now as they might've back on PS3, but it was still pretty good.

Civilization: Beyond Earth - I did a game with a few friends of mine, us versus the AI on Hard. For many of them it was their first time playing, and I think it went pretty well! Well enough that we managed to play Civ V next...

Civilization V: Brave New World - I'm not sure if this was in 2018 or 2019, but I did complete a game of Civ V Gods & Kings a few years back. The overall game flow is different enough with Brave New World that I decided to count it again, especially since I already included my MHW replay on the list this year.

Touhou: Luna Nights - I decided to play this in preparation for a little RPG Site project that should be going live this week. It's a great little metroidvania (though it plays much more like Classicvania, really) with great combat, a charming artstyle, and a killer soundtrack. I'd definitely recommend it.

Prey (2017) - I've been playing this one on and off for years at this point, and I finally got around to finishing it. It's a really interesting immersive-sim, and it's a shame that the game clearly didn't do as well as the developers might have hoped. If you haven't got around to it yet, do yourself a favor and pick it up. I think it might still be on Game Pass?

Return of the Obra Dinn - I got this one as a gift in I want to say Winter 2018. For whatever reason I sorta bounced off of it my first attempt playing it, but thankfully that wasn't the case this time around. Truthfully there's no other games like it, and trying to discover the identities and cause of death for 60 crew members was a blast once things got rolling.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PC) - I finally ripped the bandaid off, and I can abandon my PS4 save. I'm in MHW's current endgame! If you're familiar with my original Iceborne review, there's not much else for me to say. It's a fantastic expansion to a fantastic game, and it's easily my favorite game in the franchise. The PC version clears up one of my main complaints, that being the piss-poor loading times on consoles.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - I believe I got this through PS+ 6 or 7 years ago, maybe even a bit longer than that. Well, playing through some of Team Ladybug's recent games gave me a bit of a metroidvania itch and I finally got around to playing it. It's still an absolute classic, and some parts of it I enjoy more than Super Metroid, but playing it now I can say without a doubt that Hollow Knight is the better game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
58: Donkey Kong Country. End: 7/15/2020. 90 minutes. Loved.

A classic in every sense. It's easy to forget just how revolutionary this game actually was at the time.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post

-------

15. 7 Wonders: Treasures of Seven - 7 hours
Simple, but fun "match 3" game. I don't play casual games much, but I loved that in this one you need to rotate the level in order to move keystone to destination and finish the level. It also makes it easier to clear all tiles, so you won't stuck on a level for too long.

Last edited:

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Js1W9tGm.png

32. Ice Climber (1985, Switch - NES vc) ★★☆☆☆
Honestly not the worst idea to center vertical platforming around the them of scaling a mountain. The game is rather frustrating though, since your jump covers only minimal horizontal distance, and towards the end the levels routinely demand pixel perfect jumps to stay alive.

8vXJvXGm.png

33. Excitebike (1985, Switch - NES vc) ★★★☆☆
Good sense of speed, you can make risky jumps, and even tackle opponents. Really like this one, and I didn't even mess with the track builder.

3b1OXRQm.png

34. Donkey Kong Country (1994, Switch - SNES vc) ★★★★☆
Never played the console versions of Rare's DK games, just the Game Boy ports. The praise seems wholly justified though, this is already really accomplished for their first outing with the series and as I understand it only gets better. Looks and plays great, a couple of the jokes still land, the worlds & levels feel nicely varied, and I love the music. Obviously the David Wise DKC soundtracks are referenced everywhere, but even the tunes which see less use (like the factory techno stuff) are well done.
It's not all great: some of the helper animals are better conceived than others, all of the boss fights except the last one are really dull, and there's a few ideas they don't iterate much on. Overall though, really worth updating your NSO app for.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post
Games 16-20:
16. Murder by Numbers | 7th May | 20:00hrs | rating: 2.5/5
FNx5Txn.jpg

Solve murder mysteries with picross puzzles.

- GAMEPLAY: The picross gameplay is as you'd expect, and what's inbetween is mostly dialog trees and occasionally presenting evidence. Sort of satisfying, but mostly plain.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: I don't like the paper cut-out style of the characters, but the music is VERY catchy!
- STORY/PRESENTATION: I like the characters quite a bit, but the four chapters all feel like uneventful filler episodes. The very ending is where it picks up, but I felt kind of done at that point.

To me it's okay as a relaxing time-waster, but far from making a real impression on me. Not much replayability either, because it's way too easy to get an S rank. They should have given speed bonuses or something!

17. Super Mario 64 | 22nd May | 5:35hrs | rating: 3.5/5
64Gbx97.jpg

Mario's first step into 3D, and they got so much right from the very beginning.

- GAMEPLAY: While you're running, the controls are incredibly fun to this day. Only while walking slowly, Mario does this half circle turning which isn't great. The camera would be extremely frustrating to a new-comer, but I'm so used to it that it's not a big deal.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Simple but timeless. The music is alright but among the weakest in the series.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: Collect stars to open doors in Peach's castle until you reach Bowser. Doesn't need to be more than that. Some levels are better than others though. I got frustrated by the ghost house and the water levels, as I didn't have the patience for slow-paced exploration. The more straight-forward ones are easily the most fun, like the lava level and the Bowser levels.

Hadn't played this since the DS version in 2004, but it was a lot of fun! It's so focused, no waiting times, just straight to the point. Now I'm updated with my view on Mario64, and I can't wait to try the rumored remaster/remake, and all the other 3D Mario games.

18. Gris | 30th May | 3:00hrs | rating: 3/5
Q0HDvoW.jpg

Run through beautiful artistic environments to bring color back to the world.

- GAMEPLAY: Not as bad as I had heard people say. The controls are simple but feel good, and you gain a few new abilities along the way. Rarely ever challenging though.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: One of the most artistically appealing games ever, both when it comes to the visuals and the audio. It's simply beautiful.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: I suppose it's all a metaphor for fighting depression. Some cut-scenes really moved me on a subconscious level.

I just wish there had been more to the gameplay, because despite its beauty, I struggled to play more than 30 minutes at a time without getting restless.

19. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worlwide Classics | 1st July | 21:00hrs | rating: 2/5
QLEE7jB.jpg

51 classic games, from card games and board games to toy curling, darts and air hockey.

- GAMEPLAY: Most games work as you expect, whether you use touch screen or the joy-con. (Though air hockey and a few others are weirdly clumsy with the latter.) When playing alone, beating the CPU's difficulty settings is the goal, and although a majority are very easy even on "impossible", others are impossible for me and pointless to even try anymore.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Very nice visuals for this kind of game. All the audio sounds like it's ripped straight out of Mario Party, which isn't a bad thing.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: There are some "skits" where voice actors tell a little about each game, and best case teach you how to play. It seems nice at first, but it ends up being quite useless and I started skipping even the ones I had not seen. At least the overall presentation is very slick.
- MULTIPLAYER: Obviously the entire point of this kind of package, and it works well enough playing 2 people on one Switch. It stops there though, as barely any of the games support 3 or 4 players, and the online is a laggy mess. The heck Nintendo, even the 15 year old Nintendo DS predecessor worked flawlessly! Also, I can't find any online statistics or ratings whatsoever, which makes it nearly pointless.

Some games, like Mancala and the original 6 Ball Puzzle are a lot of fun, and I learned several new classic games, but overall this is a disappointment. I looked forward to playing online reversi/renegade on my Switch, but browser versions on the phone work much better. It just has to be better than this, and it doesn't deserve a high rating.

20. Underhero | 3rd July | 10:00hrs | rating: 1.5/5
LtmBptc.jpg

An RPG platformer where you're a random shy villain, chosen to save the kingdom when the hero failed.

- GAMEPLAY: Unfortunately this really feels like an old "home-made" game from the early 2000's. The game-feel just isn't good, the camera movement almost makes me dizzy when jumping, the level design is long-winded and pointless, as if they're just so happy with their lighting effects that they want you to pass 20 candles before the hallway ends. The timing-based battle system is quite fun, but it doesn't come close to saving the rest of the game.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Occasionally a pretty game, but I dislike many of the animations, along with the inconsistent sprite resolutions. The music and sound effects are... pretty bad? Again they feel extremely home-made 2000, even though some tracks are catchy. Text bubbles occasionally overlap so I miss dialog, there's some music glitching when walking between rooms, and audio samples blend in dissonant ways.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: I suppose the story and humor is the focus of this game, but it doesn't do anything for me when the actual game isn't good.

Bad audio design and pointless level design is one thing, but the regular game-breaking bugs put it firmly at the top of my "worst gaming experiences in 2020" list.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - 16/07/2020

Y'ever just think you're not into a game anymore and just fall in love with it all over again?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #46 - Dicey Dungeons
Time: 33 hours
Rating: ★★★★★

Easily one of the best roguelikes right now, one of those games that does almost everything perfectly, with only the sometimes excessive RNG dragging it down a bit (but that's a staple of the genre so). Fantastic art style, great soundtrack, and some of the best semi-deckbuilding (it's not really, except for 1 of the classes, but it's the closest comparison) gameplay around, like I said its one of those games that does almost everything perfectly. Six character to play as that play very differently from each other, 6 episodes for each of them to access the final boss fight so there is a ton to do, and it mixes roguelike with story and a final goal excellently. I can't say enough good things about it, the only thing that bummed me out was the RNG on some of the episodes (each episode hass different rules that changes the gameplay), but you can easily save scum if you want to remove some of the frustration. Highly recomended.

Main Post

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm proud of how I've been able to focus and actually complete games this year.

May:
11. Marvel's Spider-man: The Heist | 3rd May - 4hrs | 4/5
12. Counter Fight VR: Samurai Edition (PS4) | 21st May - 3hrs | 3/5
13. The Room VR: A Dark Matter (PS4) | 23rd May - 6hrs | 4/5
14. Floor Plan (PS4) | 25th May - 3hrs | 3/5

June:
15. Minecraft Dungeons (PS4) | 2nd June - 25hrs | 4/5
16. Injustice (PS4) | 25th June - 6hrs | 3/5
17. Beat Saber (PS4) | 30th June - 20hrs - Platinum | 5/5

July:
18. The Last Of Us Part 2 (PS4) | 14th July - 50hrs | 5/5

1. Death Stranding (PS4) | 4th Jan - 70hrs | 3/5
2. Donut County (PS4) | 20th Jan - 10hrs - platinum| 3/5
3. Control (PS4) | 20th Jan - 40hrs | 4/5
4. Jackbox Party Pack 6 (PS4) | 31st Jan - 20hrs | 3/5
5. Dreams (PS4) | 21st Feb - 400hrs - platinum | 5/5
6. Resident Evil 2: Remake (PS4) | 17th March - 20hrs | 3/5
7. Peggle 2 (PS4) | 20th March - 15hrs | 3/5
8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4) | 22nd March - 8hrs | 4/5
9. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight (PS4) | 25th March - 18hrs - platinum | 4/5
10. 2point Hospital (PS4) | 09th April - 40hrs | 3/5
11. Marvel's Spider-man: The Heist | 3rd May - 4hrs | 4/5
12. Counter Fight VR: Samurai Edition (PS4) | 21st May - 3hrs | 3/5
13. The Room VR: A Dark Matter (PS4) | 23rd May - 6hrs | 4/5
14. Floor Plan (PS4) | 25th May - 3hrs | 3/5
15. Minecraft Dungeons (PS4) | 2nd June - 25hrs | 4/5
16. Injustice (PS4) | 25th June - 6hrs | 3/5
17. Beat Saber (PS4) | 30th June - 20hrs - Platinum | 5/5
18. The Last Of Us Part 2 (PS4) | 14th July - 50hrs | 5/5

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
48 | Northgard
PC Steam | July 15 | 9 hrs | 4/5
kGwtOX5.png

I thoroughly enjoyed learning how to play this one. There's so much I haven't tried: online pvp, certain clans that were DLC, or complete the story. My 9 hours is nothing to how much content there is to explore in Northgard. It's a RTS game which isn't something I play a lot. I do like it felt more quicker pace than other strategy games.

You could get attacked at any time and other "events" would spice up each game. One game I was hit with a blizzard during the entire winter months; I quickly ran out of food since I wasn't prepared. Another game I kept getting attacked by undead. I think each map has unique objectives and neutral races that can hurt or help you. I like you can trade with these neutral races and they can become friendly towards you. Or you can decide to straight up attack them.

I had fun in this game and I'm not fully "finished." But it doesn't have an end; I would like to move on to other games on my list. I'm sure one day I'll come back to Northgard because there's much left to see.

Main Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Original post

101. Devil's Hunt
4422B4DE0EAB2D73161C64204C4672B5CA4609E6

A pretty passable action game whose main highlight are its visual presentation. Nice looking UE4 game.

102. Borderlands 2
header.jpg

Well that took a while :V Honestly enjoyed it more for co-oping with my friend than actually playing it. This game has so many random guns that getting worthwhile ones can be a chore since you can spend hours until something that offers respectble stats for the level you are in could show up =_=

103. Sengoku Ace Episode II
sengokublade.jpg

I like how the game used various Japanese objects and monsters giving it a more distinct look, but dang is the game hard, especially with how difficult it is to discern what my hurtbox is. Normally in some shumps, there is a certain pixel that if hit, you die, but any other part of your craft or character won't result in a loss. Here, your character's sprite can be damaged by shots more easily due to their size.
All in all I still quite enjoyed it.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
59: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. End: 7/17/2020. 5 Hours. Mind-Blowing!

One of my absolute favorite games ever, and still an incredible joy for me to play.

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
Main Post

I hadn't updated in a month, which is odd considering the quarantine. I feel like this is much less of a challenge now that I'm completely confined to home for the foreseeable future, but you don't see me not complaining!

-- SNIP --

...and now it's been 3 months. 3 more months of quarantine. Now being mandated back to work despite no reprieve from this virus, I am wafting through life in a dream-state.

I have a lot of updating to do, so apologies if this post is long. I will try to keep it brief. All ratings/dates are in the main post.

25. Nier: Automata (PS4)
This game had way, way too much hype for me to fully enjoy it. After finishing the first story, I was pretty miffed about the entire thing, but as I completed the game more times, I saw why it was held in such high regard. It's a shame it takes the amount of time it does to actually become a great game. It goes from mediocre, to good, to great.

26. The Talos Principle (PS4)
I've owned this game on Steam since it was released, but I got stuck about 75% the way through and never went back. After getting it on PS+ for free, I decided this is a good time to go back. I love this game. It's a great puzzle game that holds its own, but unfortunately cannot hold a candle to the behemoths that are Portal and The Witness. Still worth playing all the way through, though!

27. Days Gone (PS4)
Picked this up on sale, knowing that the reviews were pretty bad. I was really surprised at how good this game was. Incredibly fun mechanics, characters that I ended up caring about, and a LOT of content. This is one of the best zombie games ever made in my opinion, and I feel kind of ashamed admitting that. Acquired the platinum trophy shortly after finishing the story.

28. Celeste (Nintendo Switch)
It went on sale for $4.99 and I couldn't say no. I've been wanting to buy and play this for so long, and finally... I did it. It lives up to the hype and accolades. Everyone should play this game, and see it through to the end. It's a perfect game.

29. Journey (PS4)
Did not care for this game at all. It's not really even a game. It's just some nice atmospheres put to music. Some may find this relaxing, but it had the opposite effect on me. I guess these types of games are just not for me.

30. Telling Lies (PS4)
I loved, loved, loved Her Story. I picked this up the day it was released and couldn't wait to sink my teeth in. It is very good, but somewhat disappointing. It had a tough act to follow in Her Story, but it was off putting to constantly only hear one side of the conversation. Some of the acting was bad because of this. I found the ending underwhelming and nowhere near the epiphany that happened playing through Her Story. Still a solid game and experience.

31. A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS4)
The first few chapters of this had me skeptical, but it turned out to be a pretty great experience overall. Minor puzzles and horror elements, with minor combat as well. While everything game-wise is minor, it's heavy in immersion, story, and atmosphere. I'm glad I played through it.

32. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)
Another 'not much of a game' game I seem to be drawn to at this moment, haha. The combat in the game is pretty abysmal, and honestly should have just been removed. I enjoyed the minor puzzles and think the game should have focused more on that aspect, making it deeper as they had a lot to work with. This was still a unique experience, and harrowing to know that is what people with Psychosis go through. It was too unsettling for my family members to watch me play.

33. Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis)
I had heard good things about this series, and wanted to give it a shot... and I am very glad I did. A charming Metroidvania that is so much fun. If the last boss wasn't such an absolute MESS, I would have given this game a perfect score. Oh. My. God. The last boss is an absolute nightmare and an exercise in complete frustration. Not to mention how absurd the platforming starts getting toward the end of the game. I was playing this on the Genesis Collection and it took every fiber of my being not to use rewind or save states.

34. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
I loved Shining Force as a kid. One of my favorite, if not my favorite Genesis game of all time. I remember always seeing this game (SitD) on the launch title poster I had, and wondering what it was all about. I had no idea it was even related to Shining Force until I first fired it up and the familiar menus and music struck a major chord. This game is brilliant! An incredibly fun dungeon crawler in the vein of Wizardry or Might and Magic. I had so much fun playing through this, I can't recommend it enough.

On to Shining Force II and possibly a few other Genesis titles I missed out on as a kid. This challenge has been so much fun. I am very thankful to this community for providing the inspiration to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
36. The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa | 18th Jul | 4/5

This game gets one very important aspect right: it knows what it means to be a delinquent. Everything else follows. Ringo doesn't have constraints on how he spends his time, but he also doesn't have much in the way of direction. You can fuck up relationships, get a job and lose it, spend your time getting better at pool or fighting. Ultimately, the plot revolves around Ringo's titular friends. When the plot moves, it's because they are involved in the world. Ringo reacts in his limited capacity.

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
37. Mr. Driller DrillLand | 19th Jul | 4/5

I'd rate the 2000 Mr. Driller as a 4/5 for a start, and DrillLand includes a montage version of it as a single one of its 5 modes. This is a very creative take on a puzzle game compilation, with each mode tweaking just enough of the core gameplay as to require that the player adjusts their approach. All of that is wrapped up in a story that's just as much fun as that height of the anime puzzle genre, Puyo Puyo Tetris. And like PPT, MDDL is fantastically replayable. It's the Kirby Super Star of Mr. Driller, which makes it a very good time. Here's hoping that people enjoy this port of the 2002 edition and that we get some new Mr. Driller in the future.

Main post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #47 - Resident Evil HD Remaster (Switch)
Time: 11 hours
Rating: ★★★★★

Not much to say about this one, as everybody has played it by now. It's a fantastic remake of Resident Evil, and this HD version is the ultimate way to play the game. Still holds up after all these years, the new stuff added compared to the original (as in the Playstation 1 game) is great and adds nicely to the overall experience (all the stuff with Lisa) and the updated controls feel nice. It's a all time classic and everyone should play it if they haven't. This playthrough was on Switch and thankfully it's pretty much a perfect port, and looks gorgeous on the Switch's screen.

Main Post

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I updated

Main Post

#36 The Last Guardian PS4 8.0 - 10 hours
A quite beautiful game let down by technical issues and some frustrating moments trying to control Trico. I think it's intentional? but it can seem a little random which can be annoying occasionally. Definitley my least favourite of the three games, but still great and has those moments where it hits you in the feels, and I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

#37 Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS 8.5 - 23 hours
First FE game I really got into, very addictive gameplay and I liked the pairing up/relationship aspect, I may have made a mistake playing on normal as it was fairly easy the whole way through but still very enjoyable

#38 Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow NDS 8.0 - 9 hours
A great sequel to a great game, they are pretty similar, I could have done without the touch screen stuff but no big deal

#39 Shadow of the Tomb Raider PC 5.5 - 12 hours
Bit of a miserable game tbh, the story is awful, characters all unlikeable, the game is really boring for long stretches, too much shit to pick up and craft, the optional tombs are probably the highlight but even then..

#40 Another Code: Two Memories NDS 6.5 - 4 hours
An interesting game, I enjoyed the story and some of the puzzles (there are some pretty clever ones using the DS hardware) but some of them were a bit annoying to figure out. It's one of those games where you can't pick up an item you know you'll need until later when the game allows it which is lame

#41 Shadow of the Colossus PS4 8.5 - 5:30 hours
Very beautiful and engaging, I think I prefer the original but that could be just because I played that first, so this had a slightly lesser impact but still great

#42 Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech PC 7.5 - 10 hours
A neat game in the series, although the story wasn't that exciting and once I figured out a tactic early on it pretty much worked throughout the whole game so it was a bit easy but enjoyable.

#43 Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice PC 8.5 PC - 21 hours
Damn good game as you would expect from..From. Probably the most difficult of the souls types? But still do-able and has that feeling of great satisfaction when you learn and destory a boss. Halfway through playing my controller decided to stop working so I had to play with keyboard and mouse...which I found easier for some reason!

#44 Pokemon Omega Ruby 3DS 7.0 - 30 hours
It's okay, seemed a bit more lifeless and easier than the original to be honest. Not as good a remake as gen 2 but still, fun enough.

#45 Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition PC 8.0 - 7 hours
Really beautiful and fun to explore, I thought the difficulty level was just right and it was engaging from start to end. The only downsides were the combat wasn't all that.

Oct 27, 2017
38. Ladykiller in a Bind | 20th Jul | 4/5

A quality visual novel with some interesting things to say about power and consent, as explored through dominance, submission, and other complex topics. I think the framing device and endings don't quite live up to the conversations within the game's main story. Those conversations are flexible but also carry unpredictability, with the game pushing back on player choice depending on the situation. If the frame held up to how well the rest of the game considers power, it would be a sure winner.

Main Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
104. The Surge- A walk in the park (DLC)

I quite enjoyed this dlc, especially its setting. Though it seems I should've come here much later in the game as I would've been able to earn certain achievements by getting a certain secret rig.
I may replay it again in a future playthrough since I can save an NPC in it if I am fast enough.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
#21 Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition | 7/16/2020 - 67 hrs | 4.5/5
I finally got around to playing Xenoblade after owning it on the Wii and never getting past the first few hours. I'm so glad I waited because they release enhanced the game with QOL additions that make things much easier. Overall, the story is one of the best RPGs I've played in a while and the music is incredible! I can't believe NOA wasn't going to release this in the US until Operation Rainfall got started. I enjoyed it much better than Xenoblade 2, which I played a few years ago. Now I wish I had played this one first so the reveals in the sequel would have been more exciting.

#22 Xenoblade Chronicles Future Connected | 7/18/2020 - 7 hrs | 4/5
I decided to jump right into Future Connected after I finished the original game. Unfortunately, this is just a short side story compared to a full expansion like XB2's Torna expansion. The gameplay had a couple enhancements from the original game. The story was pretty good, but I wish they would have gone into what was going on with the other characters from the original game and maybe had more to connect it to the other games in the series. The overall world/maps of it were great and you could tell that they learned a few things from making Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2. The music was still amazing!

Main Post

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 29: Nothing finished this week and it's looking like I might not finish another game this coming week as well.

Currently Playing:

1. Ghost of Tsushima - Still in the first big area of the game. Really enjoying my time with it thus far and should be into the second section soon.

2. Fallout 76 - For all the glitches/bugs that the game has the world itself is a wonder to explore. The addition of human NPC's has also helped improve the world. All in all feels like a step in the right direction from the disaster that was launch.