Plum

May 31, 2018
Main Post

2x1_NSwitch_SuperMarioBrosWonder.jpg

GAME 1: Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Nintendo Switch | Completed 4/1/24 | 15 Hours Played | 9/10

This is ever-so-slightly cheating, as I 'finished' the game (as in, rolled credits) earlier. However, I only completed it today, and given that I was going for completion from the very beginning, this is where I'm truly finished with the title (for now).

What can I say, this is Nintendo firing on all cylinders when it comes to creativity. Enough so that, frankly, my biggest criticism is that it has so many new ideas, that any single one of them doesn't stick around for longer than it really should have. I don't mind the relative lack of difficulty (most notably because of that fucking evil last special world level), as - like with Mario Galaxy and Odyssey before it - this is more of a presentation of, well, wondrous ideas than a hardcore, challenge-first experience. One thing you can really tell with this is that the developers had so, so much passion whilst making it, wanting to fill the game with as much 'new' stuff as they could. It's truly amazing.

2x1_NSwitchDS_SuperKiwi64_image1600w.jpg

GAME 2: Super Kiwi 64
PC (Steam Deck) | Completed 4/1/24 | 44 Minutes Played | 7/10

Now, I know this is a really short one... but I love this guy's games so I'm 100% counting it here. This is the definition of bite-sized, a full 3D platformer experience complete with cheat codes, multiple wide zones, and loads of stuff to collect, all told within a single hour. It's got the typically very-tight controls of Horn's other works, alongside his usual spooky-yet-cartoony vibes, and simple-yet-fun level design.

I'd give it higher, but it really is very short and without the production values of something like Sayonara Wild Hearts to make up for it. The level elements also do start feeling a bit repetitive, and its health mechanic is so underused that I didn't even know you could get hurt lol.

Last edited:

ApinchofSaltz

Oct 27, 2017
Going to give this a try this year!

1. Forspoken (1/3/24): 6.5/10
2. Prototype 2 (1/5/24): 6/10
3. Dredge + The Pale Reach (1/7/24): 9/10
4. My Friendly Neighborhood (1/13/24): thanks 7.5/10
5. Gear of War Ultimate (1/14/24): 8/10
6. Into the Breach (1/5/24): 8 /10
7 . Humanity (1/17/24): 8/10
8. Planet of Lana(1/16/24): 8.5/10
9. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe (1/24/24): 7.5/10
10. + 11. Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp (1/29/24): 8/10
12. Yoshi's Crafted World (1/31/24) 7/10
13. Silent Hill the Short Message (2/2/24): 4/10
14. Pikmin 1 (2/5/24): 8/10
15. Pikmin 2 (2/19/24) 7/10
16. The Case of the Golden Idol (3/01/24) 7.5/10
17. Vanquish (3/4/24) 6.5/10
18. Portal (3/5/24) 8.5/10
19. Wattam (3/6/24) 6/10
20. Pizza Tower (3/10/24) 7.5/10
21. Castlevania Portrait of Ruin (3/12/24) 7.5/10
22. Yoshi's New Island (3/17/24) 7/10
23. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (4/5/24) 9/10
24. Fire Emblem Warriors (4/8/24) 6/10
25. Binary Domain (4/11/24) 8/10
26. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (4/19/24) 8/10
27. Persona 3 Reload (4/24/24) 9/10
28. Chant of Sennaar (4/24/24) 8/10
29. Tales of Kenzera Zau (4/27/24) 7/10
30. Hellblad Senua's Sacrifice (4/27/24) 8.5/10
31. Spyro Year of the Dragon Reignited (4/29/24) 7/10
32. Halo 3 (4/30/24) 8 /10

Currently playing: Children of the Sun, FF XVI Rising Tides, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Illusion of Gaia

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Aug 28, 2022
I am doing it!!!!
1. Mega Man 4 (The Sequel Wars) (1/4/24): 8.5/10
It's a shame that Megaman 2 took the spotlight considering how much better the series got after 2 and 3. The game design in Megaman 4 and beyond is cleaned up to an extent where every death feels fair and justified. There's no infamously bad sections of gameplay or level design, it's just a great experience all around, better visuals, music about as good, and an interesting story twist.

I did NOT beat the original NES version of this game however, I beat a fanmade Megadrive remake of the latter 3 games called the Sequel Wars. It's virtually the same gameplay wise but with major enhancements to audio and visuals, plus a dedicated slide button! Only Megaman 4 is finished right now, when the creator gets the other 2 done I'll talk about them here.

www.youtube.com

Mega Man: The Sequel Wars (Mega Man 4) - Drill Man

Weapon: Drill BombWeakness: Dive MissileUnfortunately, the 16-bit update isn't gonna change how tedious Drill Man can be to fight.__You can support both Mega...

Last edited:

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
Update #1 One game beaten, right on track!
Baybob-52-Beat-2024-Enjoy-the-Diner.png

#1 Enjoy the Diner (Steam Deck) | Jan 4th - 3.5h | 3.5/5
I enjoyed my time in the world of this moon diner, with its unique artstyle/color palate that fits the mood and atmosphere of its world perfectly with its yellow and blue shades portraying nighttime/the moon perfectly. The story of this Visual Novel/Adventure game was pretty engrossing and drew me in pretty quickly with decently written characters and a unique premise. That being said it does stray a bit absurdist and got closer to loosing me a few times, but I got over those moments quickly and was able to accept this game for what it is. A quite relaxing Visual Novel where you talk to other members of your situation and try to get yourself out of the Diner you are stuck in for what seems like all eternity.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'll try this again. I deleted my post from last year because I think I had, like, 7 games through June. I ended up finishing 15 games last year, but one was on December 31st and I just beat another one, so two in one week is making me feel confident!

rh8OIjenUw2g3y7RIuOxntu1SigXHybN.png
55838458ee8a1571e321e614a2f2ee0400fbf8658a59bab0.png
oXtps1uT1x0cAMxa6r1FtkhQ.png
eEczyEMDd2BLa3dtkGJVE9Id.png
A3KKgFFUTjKoxSc4ssAs61nF.png
330px-Phoenix_Wright_-_Ace_Attorney_Coverart.png
Justice_for_All_cover_art.png
Pw3-cover-english.jpg
edce2d3e20cb874ad82bbf54f00c9e2a3adf7f5bf77665ca.png
85487475426de191c3c100b47ddc61f77c515b513948272e.png
e6VbPQ56CBzVPgKmWdMMrICz.png
F7z6c9GM1VGoqfYxHorvMjzL.png
6yEaL43dEig0W3JuUZZWRffPiqYmdz1A.png
FUr3M0kGxyddUfUeuKBBFf2w.png
a3fb067df2661d37b9b68e7a9dbeb96f29bec879a354ad94.png

11307-dNapclgq_VqNtQ98Xp_LxovvAdjd5AknZhd_-k2Cckq9FPtKDXAHk-ODCfvDKChH6hkEO0VLtj7Vk4E-Z8G707oe0N.png
0ONhqDANPONQocbM5C3iglhR.png
a3c500ec0d3398ec347b122666c0318c52382f6e0cdb0366.png

1) 2064: Read Only Memories (January 4th) - 7.5/10
Played on PS5, Platinum Trophy
  • I used a walkthrough to get the platinum, using save reloads. I've been on a bit of an adventure game kick lately (I finished D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die on 12/31... should have waited a day) and this was a pretty good one. The voice acting was REALLY good, especially for the main character, Turing. There were couple of annoying mini-games towards the end that I had to play multiple times in order to get the platinum so it dragged on just a little bit but if you don't care about that and just want to play until one of the endings, you don't have to do them more than once. The story and writing kept me interested until the very end!
2) McPixel 3 (January 9th) - 6.5/10
Played on Series X, 1000/1000 achievement points
  • Not really sure how to rate this game as it's mainly just kind of a big joke... but I still had fun with it. It has a lot of potty humor which isn't my thing at all, but other jokes were pretty clever. I started playing it as my daily achievement game (for Microsoft Rewards) and just kept going until I finished it. I think the last achievement I need will pop after I roll the credits, so I've put it into suspend until tomorrow, but last scene has been completed. You basically just play out a bunch of scenes and try to do everything possible within the scene (interact with everything, go every direction, etc.). It turned out that there was even a little bit of a story.
3) A Space for the Unbound (January 22nd) - 8.5/10
  • The adventure game kick continues! I've had this one in the backlog for a while and decided to finally give it a whirl and am really glad I did. I love video games, but it's extremely rare that they make me emotional. This one did and it's easy to see why it was nominated at the Game Awards in the 'Games for Impact' category. It maybe went on just a liiiiitle bit too long, otherwise I'd give it a higher score.
4) The Last of Us Part I (February 1st) - 10/10
Played on PS5
  • I finally finished this game... and loved every second of it! I played it on PS3 when it came out and maybe it wasn't the right time or something, but I didn't get very far. I tried again on PS4 and probably got about 60-70% through, but just stopped. I really want to play Part II before the show comes back, so figured I'd best get through this while I can. Definitely going to do Left Behind soon and also go for the Platinum trophy (which shouldn't be hard... I missed one stupid comic). Anyway, so glad I finally finished this masterpiece!
5) Unpacking (February 4th) - 6/10
  • This was a neat little game, I guess. Another one that I started playing for daily achievements but ended up just getting all of them. There's a little bit of a story told through photo album entries and you can put things together by noticing what was in the boxes from one year to the next. I thought that was a unique way of telling a story and letting the player fill in the blanks. I got a little anxious at times because things didn't seem to belong where I was putting them. Not unlike unpacking in real life! I eventually started throwing everything on the floor so I could get through the game.
6) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (February 14th) - 6.5/10
Played on Series X (via Ace Attorney Trilogy), 1000/1000 achievement points (across all three games)
  • I was super into this game at first, but it just got tedious after a while. I didn't really like the final chapter (which wasn't in the original GBA release) much at all and it made the game feel like a slog. I did like the humor and some of the characters, though, so will try to go through the final two games in the trilogy. The trilogy is also next in my "daily achievement" games, but they are few and far between so there were a couple of days where I ended up playing for two or three hours which is maybe another reason why this game felt like a slog.
7) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All (February 23rd) - 7/10
Played on Series X (via Ace Attorney Trilogy), 1000/1000 achievement points (across all three games)
  • The second entry in the Phoenix Wright series played out the exact opposite for me as the first one. I was not feeling this game AT ALL for the first two chapters. The third one was a little better, and then the last one was the best and really brought the whole game up with it. I'm kind of interested in seeing where the series goes from here which is more than I can say after I finished the original. If I end up really liking the third game, I may end up buying the Apollo Justice trilogy.
8) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (March 8th) - 6.5/10
  • Finished the trilogy and I do like it overall and do think I'll seek out the rest of the series but, man, some of the chapter just draaaaaag. I didn't think the last chapter of T&T was ever going to end and I thought it brought the game down as a result. I think it was my least favorite of the trilogy but I still enjoyed it in spots.
9) Cocoon (March 28th) - 9.5/10
  • This could be recency bias, but this might be the most aesthetically pleasing game I've ever played! Everything about it is so soothing and beautiful to look at. The only reason I'm not giving it a perfect score is because it made me feel like a moron many times, so I guess I felt a couple of the puzzles were too obtuse? Anyway, I'm really glad I played this game. I ignored it when it came out last year and it would have ended up in my top 2 or 3 games of the year, probably.
10) Persona 3 Reload (March 30th) - 9.5/10
  • I loved this game. I played it on PS2 back when it came out but didn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing so bounced off pretty quickly. The one giant dungeon thing did wear thin a few times when I was playing through. There were definitely times where I just wanted to get to the end of whatever section I was on, but it was never enough to make me want to quit or anything. I love the visual style, all (most) of the characters, and the soundtrack. This game checked off almost all of the boxes for me.
11) Dead by Daylight (April 5th) - 8/10
Played on PS5
  • I'm not 100% sure how to rate this game. I've played it more than any other game ever. So, obviously, I love it! But, man, can it be super frustrating. It's still a testament to the game, however, that each match is totally different. Even after close to 2000 hours. That has to count for something. I counted this as "finished" because I got to the end of the current Rift (battle pass)... which I've done with every one for the past 3 1/2 years. I probably actually finished it, in that regard, back in January so I could have put this on my list earlier.
12) Greyhill Incident (April 9th) - 5.5/10
  • Well, this is not a game I expected to ever play, let alone finish. There is a 30-minute trial on PSN that I had downloaded, so I decided to play it while I waited for my Helldivers crew to join PSN. They never joined. My half hour trial ran out. I kind of enjoyed myself and had a bunch of PS Stars credit and it was on sale... so it was more or less free. Why not!? I bought it and platinumed it in two hours. Thankfully, there is a good guide out there because there is a part near the end that would have driven me absolutely crazy. Anyway, the game is genuinely creepy at times, but that's kind of all it has going for it. There are quite a few unintentionally (I think?) funny moments and I'm always up for that. There are lanterns littered throughout the game that pretty much guide you to where you are supposed to go. Apparently, those were patched in because it was too difficult to figure out what to do next. I can't imagine. I remember reading some terrible reviews for this game when it first came out and that was mentioned a few times. The checkpoints are pretty far apart too and it's REALLY easy to die (though the guide gave me warnings for when stuff was coming, so I didn't have much trouble). I'd say this game is worth $10 if you like cheesy games that can also be a little creepy. Also if you like generic aliens.
13) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (April 11th) - 8.5/10
  • Loved this game and everything about it... except the combat. Thankfully, there wasn't TOO much. And I didn't HATE it, I got used to it. I'm very thankful for the 'Auto' option that adjusts to how well (or bad) you are doing. I loved exploring the world, loved finding all of the lorestones, and loved the ending (except for the end credits song... yuck). I'm very excited for the sequel in a month but I'm not sure I'll jump right in since I finished this one so close to the release. I might need a little break from Senua and her struggles.
14) The Quarry (April 20th) - 9/10
Played on Series X
  • This is the first Supermassive game that I've played and I kinda want to dive into the rest of them now! Will probably go through this one again first to make different choices and get different cutscenes. I thought pretty much the whole cast was great and the likenesses where spot on. I don't know a lot of actor's names, but it was cool to see some of the people and be like, "Oh! It's the stunt son from Righteous Gemstones! Oh! It's Susan from Seinfeld's mom! Oh! It's the Detective Pikachu kid! Oh! It's the middle daughter from Modern Family!" The only two I knew the names of were Lance Henriksen and David Arquette, so I was pretty certain I was going to like it. The Monkees song at the end was cool too (one of my karaoke go-tos). Anyway, loved this. The only thing I really didn't like were the shooting QTEs (was fine with the directional ones). I messed one of them up and killed one of the characters because of it and it upset me because I wanted everyone to live. Next time!
15) A Little To The Left (May 8th) - 5/10
Played on Series X
  • Not really a fan of this one at all. It's okay for a daily achievement game and it can be relaxing... in the beginning. There are five chapters and I felt like I was really struggling with how imprecise the directional controller inputs are for this game from chapter three onward. It's also not 100% clear what the goal of some of the levels are. You can guess pretty easily, but when you have to make a screen symmetrical and the game wants you to put something in an exact spot, you start questioning whether or not you're even on the right track. I would probably give this at least two points higher on PC with mouse controls but don't play it on a console... unless Switch has touch controls. That might work too. Glad I'm done with this one.
16) Final Fantasy VII Remake (May 19th) - 9/10
Played on PS5
  • I picked this back up again when Rebirth got close to releasing. I was maybe 30% of the way through the game and hadn't played it in almost two years. After a bit of trying to remember how to play and what had happened, I was off to the races. I don't have huge fondness or nostalgia over FFVII. I've never actually finished it, so any changes made to the story aren't going to bother me. I thought the story was fine, but I am a bit glad that I am finished with this one because I've REALLY been wanting to play Rebirth and now I finally can. Combat was great, everything looked really nice, and the sidequests were mostly fun. The only thing I really didn't like were the bike segments but, thankfully, they were few and far between. I also learned that I've been saying "mako" wrong for years.
17) Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade: Episode INTERmission (May 21st) - 8.5/10
Played on PS5
  • I went through the DLC right after the main game. I knew if I didn't, I probably wouldn't get around to it for a long time and that would delay me starting Rebirth (which I can't decide if I'm going to do right away or not). I loved the lighthearted tone of this game/DLC and the ending was quite a stark contrast. I think I might have liked the battling in this one more than the main game too. Just a lower score because it was really short. Probably won't go for all the trophies in either this or the main game because some just seem annoying. I'm almost more excited to see the continuation of Yuffie's story than anyone else. I also learned I've been saying "Yuffie" wrong for years.
18) Venba (May 29th) - 7/10
Played on Series X
  • A short game about a couple that moves from India to Canada and the challenges they face starting a family, getting jobs, etc. It's a very sweet story. The gameplay sections are making recipes to advance the story along. Sorta like Cooking Mama, I guess? It was really short and just took a couple of hours. I felt like it could have maybe had another chapter or two to fill in the story just a bit more. I liked it overall and it made me hungry.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
main post

sgPYNCT.png

2. Doom (PC, 1993) - 5:27 + 1:10 in 2023 - January 4
The last time I played a significant amount of Doom was probably when I was a kid. The local video store had a wall of floppy disks containing the shareware versions of a ton of games, each one going for a few bucks a pop; we ended up with a lot of those disks, the first episode of Doom among them. Of course I finished the whole thing, but back then the concept of sending money in a SASE to get a copy of the full game back in the mail was basically unknown to me; how does sending money in the mail even work? How do I convince my parents to do such a thing? Never really crossed my mind. So I never bothered playing the rest of the game until now.

I think my biggest takeaway from playing Doom in 2023 (admittedly the Unity port rather than the original DOS version) is just how MEAN Doom is. I didn't realize this as a kid, but Doom plays with the conventions of the still-embryonic genre a lot. There are blue, yellow and red keys, but often you pick them up out of order; okay, no big deal. But the first time Doom plays a trick on you, like opening a secret monster closet when you pick up a key or flip a switch, you feel the betrayal. Eventually you're keeping an eye out for ambushes everywhere, so much so that the game then surprises you again by presenting you with something that is OBVIOUSLY a trap that you deftly avoid, only to realize that you just fell into the actual trap and the thing you thought was a trap was actually just the way you were supposed to go.

Games just don't do this very much anymore; even rarer is the game that can pull the rug out from beneath you so many times and yet never feels unfair. Besides the way the game moves and shoots, a revelation back then and still satisfying today (again, in the Unity version; the DOS version is less so), I feel like this might be a big reason for the game's enduring legacy. It gets under your skin in a way I didn't really expect, and in a way Wolfenstein 3D never did.

This gets ramped up to 11 in the game's final episode, released two years after the original full game. The first two levels are easily some of the most punishing first-person shooter levels I've ever had to play; in a way they feel like a precursor to survival horror games where every bullet counts and every drop of health is precious. I almost didn't think I'd make it through, and I definitely had to look up a few survival tips and quicksave a lot more. It says something that over 40% of my total playtime was just Thy Flesh Consumed.

After finishing Wolfenstein 3D a few years ago, I didn't feel any real compulsion to try Spear of Destiny; that game was hard in ways that felt extremely old school, easy to counter in theory but almost random in practice. Finishing Doom, on the other hand, hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for a playthrough of Doom II.

Last edited:

Emkaset

Jan 5, 2024
I gave the challenge a shot last year without really going all in, played about thirty games. This time, I'll try to complete 52 games.

1. Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami Chronicles (01/01/2024 - Switch)
  2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future HD (06/01/2024 - iOS)
  3. FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered (19/01/2024 - Switch)
  4. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy (21/01/2024 - Switch)
  5. Super Paper Mario (27/01/2024 - Wii)
  6. Another Code : Mémoire Double (01/02/2024 - Switch)
  7. Little Inferno (11/02/2024 - PC)
  8. Super Castlevania IV (12/02/2024 - Retroid 3+/SNES)
  9. Master Detective Archives: Rain Code (16/02/2024 - Switch)
  10. Cadence of Hyrule (17/02/2024 - Switch)
  11. Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk (17/02/2024 - PC)
  12. Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk (17/02/2024 - PC)
  13. Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris (19/02/2024 - Xbox Series X)
  14. Every Letter (05/03/2024 - PC)
  15. Slay the Princess (17/03/2024 - PC)
  16. Persona 3 Reload (20/03/2024 - Xbox Series X)
  17. Dear Esther (30/03/2024 - PC)
  18. Cyberpunk 2077 (10/04/2024 - Xbox Series X)
  19. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (20/04/2024 - Xbox Series X)
  20. Cat Physics (08/05/2024 - iOS)
  21. Super Mario Bros 2 (15/05/2024 - Retroid 3+/SNES)
  22. Mickey Mania (16/05/2024 - Retroid 3+/SNES)
  23. Kirby (02/06/2024 - Retroid 3+/NES)
Currently playing ff13

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Reserving main post

Finished:

Quake 2 (PS5)
Completed 1st January
6/10
The image quality and performance is great however the story is non-existent, the music is underwhelming and the enemies are dumb and repetitive.

Fast & furious: Spy Racers Rise of SH1FT3R (PS5)
Completed 3rd January
1/10
Crappy licensed game. I'm pretty sure there was like 2-3 pieces of music in the entire game. There is no sense of speed whatsoever and the cars are very very slow, which is ironic considering its a "fast and furious" game.

Ratchet & Clank: NEXUS (PS3)
Completed 6th January
7/10
Not as good as Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time. It's very short and feels like a budget game like Quest for Booty. The visuals aren't that great and the move to 30fps did not bring anything to the game, should have stuck with 60fps

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (PS5)
Completed 18th January
10/10
Absolutely loved every second of it. An improvement over Fallen Order in every way. The characters are great, story was interesting and combat/traversal was fun.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
Completed 11th February
6/10
Maybe the Borderlands formula doesn't do it for me anymore. There's nothing bad about the game per se, but it is just another Borderlands game with basically no differences. The dialogue is the only thing I actually enjoyed from it.

Metro 2023 Redux
Completed 10th March
7.5/10
I had attempted to play through this so many times over many years. Finally decided to just do it. Really enjoyed it. Graphics are nice and the story was interesting. Loved the setting and atmosphere. Does show some signs that it's an old ge though.

Metro Last Light
Completed 23rd March
8.5/10
Same as 2023, took many years and multip attemp to play this. Wish I had done so sooner. Game is great. It's more of the same but just better. The little dark one was a good companion, multiple times made me feel bad for what I had done in the first game.

Evil West (PS5)
Completed 2nd April
7.5/10
What a surprise this was. It always looked good to me but playing i did not expect it to be so melee focused. The setting with vampires is so cool, visually stunning.

Resistance Retribution (PS5)
Completed 1st May
3/10
It is not a good game by 2024 standards lol
The only positive thing I can say is that it expanded on the story (I dig that universe)

Currently playing:
Need for Speed Unbound (PS5)

Last edited:

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
Going to jump in this year in the hopes that I can finish more than 10 games at the very least. I'm still at 0 at the moment but hope to change that soon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
6. Mystery World Dizzy (Evercade) - So I think this one is supposed to be a remake of Fantasy World Dizzy but Im honestly not sure... I never got far in Fantasy World Dizzy and the puzzles I do remember seem absent (Ill go back and play that later).

As for Mystery World - I really loved it. Like Treasure Island and Wonderland Dizzy its a 2D puzzle platformer where you gather items used to solve puzzles to progress further in the world to find more items, to then solve more puzzles, rinse and repeat.

Again, no idea what order the games released in but this one is definitely several steps up from Treasure Island - bigger map, clearer puzzles, and the game looks and runs better. My only complaint really comes from the lack of a health bar, and the annoying momentum Dizzy has when jumping - on landing depending how much of a run you had as you jumped you "may" roll, and that roll and last for quite a while - and he's totally uncontrollable for this time. And it leads to basically 100% of my lives lost in this game. There are ways round it but it lead to many an annoying moment especially as the enemy placement (frogs mainly) just fucking suck in this game! Otherwise Im fine with it - jumping from platform to platform gets easier over time, its really just the randomness of the enemies.

In terms of map traversal/puzzles, I really enjoyed my time with this one. You start off in a relatively small castle with some fairly obvious puzzles, getting you used to the game flow, and before you know it, you've opened up the two main areas - one to the left and one to the right of the castle. From here, its up to you to explore these two areas and figure out the various puzzles as you go - cant get past an angry dragon? Use the sleeping potion you got. Need to reach the castle in the clouds? Find a magic bean and "Jack and the Beanstalk" your way to it! (wouldnt be Dizzy without a section where your leaping from clouds!)
The only one bit I felt was not well telegraphed is when you go to the warehouse to get the rope (needed for the wishing well) - as its a false floor in one of the main areas... I literally stumbled into it without even knowing it was there. Id say "that would catch people out back in the day", but having played the game twice (once yesterday, once today), yeah I never found it yesterday so it would totally fuck people over lol.
In all, the game flow is pretty snappy, sure I struggled to begin with on my first run, but each subsequent run I got better at the game, learned the puzzles etc. and so today's retry left me efficiently clearing the game in around half an hour.

One thing I like about these older Dizzy games is that length - as in the number of screens. If you think open worlds today are obnoxious with the "biggest ever area!!!" advertising... well Dizzy and many other platformers from the UK suffered from that back in the day as well, one of the upcoming Dizzy games I got to play grossly expands the number of screens to the point where item and puzzle tracking becomes a living nightmare... bigger isnt always better.

*fake edit* On attempting my "no save state run", I decided to actually see what the difference between "classic" and "fun" modes are - at first I thought it'd be like an infinite lives mode, but its not. As far as I can tell there's only two differences here - you start with 4 lives not 3 which is never a bad thing, and also the rolling after jump is HEAVILY nerfed. So its basically far more playable now. While some easy modes feel like they cheapen the experience, this one actually vastly improves it, as its no longer a crap shoot if your going to roll off a narrow platform or not. I managed to clear the game only losing a couple of lives due to frogs. Of the free Dizzy games Ive finished this week, this one ranks top. Its a real joy to play.

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2024. [BacklogBeat]

Reserving post. May Yakuza 8 not harm my ability to finish too many games lol. 1. The King's Bird (PS4) 2. River City Rampage (Evercade) 3. Double Dragon 2 (Evercade) 4. Treasure Island Dizzy (Evercade) 5. Wonderland Dizzy (Evercade) 6. Mystery World Dizzy (Evercade) 7. Dizzy the Adventurer...

What counts as "finished" for non-story games? Or do we exclude those?

Like say I did all the levels for peggle 2, does that count? Lol
I think its up to the user to decide. The rules are very fair in terms of episodic games and DLC, so if you've done all levels for Peggle 2 I cant imagine why that wouldnt count.

designiana

Dec 6, 2023
01-later-alligator-shot-mini.jpg

Later Alligator
Finished: 2023-01-05 (4h)
★★★★

I was on the fence whether I'd like this game for a long time but I'm glad I gave it a shot! This has an extremely charming art direction, great animation and comedic writing that never really verged on twee territory, which I usually can't stand in video games.

In this game you play as a pinstripe-suited silent character who must explore a NY City-type at the request of Pat, an inept but cute alligator who's convinced his family is trying to get him killed. Throughout the game you travel to different districts, click around and chat with Pat's extensive family. Each family member offers an unique puzzle you can complete (or not). The game requires more than 1 playthrough to see everything and talk to everyone, but thankfully you can get right into it and skip everything you already done in previous plays. I technically did 3 playthroughs but the last one was mostly fiinishing up the two most involved "quests" for the final-final ending.

I think the puzzles are probably the weakest link here due to the sheer variety (I think 30 in total), but it's also this amount and their rapid-fire pace and unpredictability that allows for some truly great moments: sure there's a tower of Hanoi puzzle because of course there is, but also one where solving it is literally the losing condition, or another that completely breaks the style of the game in favor of a character's dilemma. Also, this world sure has a lot of ghosts! At the end of the day, even the boring/annoying puzzles are mostly one and done, super quick and funny in some way, so I never go too frustrated with them.​

Main Post

Last edited:

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

Completely up to you. The standard - at least for me - is I'll count an online game if I've played it for more than 3 hours in the year as I don't see why that wouldn't count when people can boost up their lists with an hour or less runtime short games. Even then I've yet to complete the challenge as I mostly stick to my same few online games on that front and the single player games I play are too long lol.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I finished 28 games last year:

January:

N/A
=======
February:

Metroid Prime Remaster
=======
March:

Monster Hunter Rise
Resident Evil 4 Remake
=======
April:

Octopath Traveler II
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Life is Strange: True Colors
=======
May:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
=======
June:

Kena: Bridge of Spirits
========
July:

Final Fantasy XVI
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
========
August:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Final Fantasy IX
Pikmin 4
Catherine Fullbody
=========
September:

N/A
=========
October:

Baldur's Gate 3
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Cloudpunk
NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
=========
November:

Alan Wake 2
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Honkai Star Rail (Up to current patch)
=========
December:

Cyberpunk 2077
Like a Dragon: Gaiden - The Man Who Erased His Name

Chiktabba

Mar 31, 2022
The first couple of entries are games I've started at the end of 2023.

01-cos.png

What a fantastic experience! I absolutely loved my time with Chants of Sennaar. Some sections were a bit weaker (the "action/infiltration" bits, some backtracking) but the core language translation gameplay was fantastic. I'm really glad this game exists and that it has been well-received and seems to be rather successful.

02-pseudoregalia.png

A very fun 3D Platformer/Metroidvania with incredibly fun movement and traversal. Some rough edges and frustrating platforming at times, but well worth playing even though I usually dislike metroidvanias. I would have liked an in-game map, though!

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
Main Post

This seems interesting and fun. Looking over my personal game log I may have unofficially achieved this goal in 2023, so it should be doable again for 2024. Let's put it on the books!

I will define completion for myself as getting the platinum trophy or 100% on base games or chunky expansions. Platforms will be PS5 and XSX, though likely heavily weighted to PS5 this year for <reasons>. I'll put in the time to completion and a rating for each. I'll also add a brief impression for each in a monthly recap post.

January Recap +6 (6/52)
February Recap +4 (10/52)
March Recap +5 (15/52)
April Recap +3 (18/52)
May Recap +4 (22/52)

Completed
  1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (2020 | PS4 | 35h | 7/10)
  2. A Memoir Blue (2022 | PS5 | 2h | 7/10)
  3. Alba: A Wildlife Adventure (2021 | PS5 | 3h | 7/10)
  4. Assassin's Creed Valhalla (2020 | PS5 | 120h | 8/10)
  5. Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids (2021 | PS5 | 14h | 7/10)
  6. Assassin's Creed Valhalla: The Siege of Paris (2021 | PS5 | 11h | 7/10)
  7. Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarok (2022 | PS5 | 20h | 8/10)
  8. Detroit: Become Human (2018 | PS4 | 26h | 8/10)
  9. Hoa (2021 | PS5 | 2h | 7/10)
  10. Little Misfortune (2019 | PS4 | 5h | 8/10)
  11. McPixel 3 (2022 | PS5 | 10h | 8/10)
  12. OVIVO (2017 | PS5 | 4h | 6/10)
  13. Paper Beast (2023 | PSVR2 | 8h | 3/10)
  14. Pyre (2017 | PS4 | 15h | 8/10)
  15. Resident Evil 2 (2019 | PS5 | 52h | 6/10)
  16. Rollerdrome (2022 | PS5 | 13h | 6/10)
  17. Stories Untold (2020 | PS4 | 3h | 6/10)
  18. The Quarry (2022 | PS5 | 43h | 7/10)
  19. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (2021 | PS4 | 4h | 8/10)
  20. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [Legacy of Thieves Collection] (2022 | PS5 | 40h | 10/10)
  21. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy [Legacy of Thieves Collection] (2022 | PS5 | 23h | 10/10)
  22. When the Past Was Around (2022 | PS4 | 2h | 7/10)

Last edited:

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Claiming my Spot for the new Year

January 2024
1. Pokemon Sun [3DS]: Even with its "Start and Stop" story it really is one of the most engaging narratives of any Pokemon game.
2. Momodora: Moonlit Farewell [Steam]: I enjoyed the last one well enough, this one is really fun too. Just a nice short well executed Metroidvania.
3. Kirby's Dreamland [3DS]: Annual "I need a 20 minute long game to beat to inflate numbers" but man I don't remember the hard mode being that hard.
4. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion [Steam]: Very cute, was not expecting it to be nearly as much of a Zelda-like as it was given the title but very short and fun.
5. Another Code: Recollection [Switch]: Of the two games I think the first game was a much better game, but I found the over-arching plot to be interesting which is unfortunate because both games spend way too much time with their B-plots.

February 2024
6. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth [PS5}: A good follow-up to the previous game overall. What stands out most to me is that it feels like someone at RGG studio, post-Nagoshi, must have felt the same way I did about how bad a finale 6 was to Kiryu's story because man does this game make up for it.
7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate [Switch]: After almost six years I finally bothered to do classic mode with every character.
8. River City Girls [Switch]: Not sure why I waited this long to get to this game, it's as direct a sequel as you can get. New characters are fun, games bigger, just a solid package overall.

March 2024
9. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth [PS5]: ONe of the biggest games ever made. Incredible from stern to stem. Real disappointed though with the game's final party
10. Project Diva X [PS4]: While it's kind of nice to play a Miku game where the cast got some, if pretty basic, characterization, but it coming at the expense of the small tracklist hurts it.
11. Princess Peach Showtime [Switch]: Pretty obvious this came from Good Feel even if I hadn't been told, it's a solid enough game even if there are some frustrations with the collectibles.

April 2024
12. Fire Emblem Engage [Switch]: I deeply regret falling off this game after getting 18 chapters in last year. This game is a top 3 Fire Emblem game.
13. Super Mario 64 [Switch]: My God I only realize now that this game was what necessitated Ocarina of Time's invention of the Z-Targeting.
14. Crisis Core: Reunion [PS5}: Crisis Core is so good. Part III better have Kunsel.
15. Ball [Game & Watch]: Where it All began!
16. Bioshock [PS5]: While I can appreciate it for what is was in it's own time, I can't help but feel like if I played it back when it came out I would have just considered it the first of many "Wow this game would be much more interesting if it was anything but a shooter" genre of game,
17. Super Mario Bros. [Game & Watch]: no lie, this may be the first time I've beaten this game without Save Sates/Rewind.
18. Vermin [Game & Watch]: Why does the Zelda Game & Watch have such a better selection and why didn't they make more of these?

May 2024
19. Super Mario Land [Switch]: I still prefer this oddity over it's sequel.
20. Animal Well [Switch]: A quaint game. Glad I played it but outside of some neat particle effects nothing too exciting.
21. Metroid: Zero Mission [GBA]: I remember the endgame being much harder.

June 2024
22. Metroid Dread [Switch]: Mercury Steam really did hit it out of the park with this one.
23. Pokemon TCG [Game Boy]: If only any of the modern TCG games matched the style of this game.
24. Elden Ring [Steam]: Ready for the D-L-C

Last edited:

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
Currently Playing:
  • Persona 5 Royal (Switch)
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Switch)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (XSX)
  • Palworld (XSX)
★★★★★ ☆☆☆☆☆

Completed (5/52):
  1. Pokémon Scarlet: The Teal Mask (Switch) | Game Freak | ★★★☆☆
  2. Pokémon Scarlet: The Indigo Disk (Switch) | Game Freak | ★★★★☆
  3. Momodora III (Steam Deck) | rdein | ★★★☆☆
  4. Marvel Snap: Planet Hulk (iOS) | Second Dinner | ★★★☆☆
  5. Granblue Fantasy: Relink (PS5) | Cygames | ★★★★☆

Past Years
2023 -
28 games
2022 - 37 games
2021 - 27 games
2020 - 26 games
2019 - 24 games
2018 - 33 games
2017 - 52 games

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

Quick thoughts on first 6 of the year

MASTER3.png

MASTER6.png

• Hotline Miami - 100% this game when it first came out, still great frantic fun.
  • Sol Cresta - Very manageable Shmup. Wish boss variety was better but final boss was good
  • Persona 5 Tactica - Decent game. Everything including mechanics are well done but game lacks any interesting punch.
  • River City Girls 2- A fine Kunio Kun game but I didn't find it as good as first River City Girls
  • Soldier Blade: Fun Shmup off of PC Engine. Has odd difficulty curve as final stage is easier than previous ones
  • Splatterhouse - First half of game is great, second half feels cheap and unfair at times. Final level also really easy for some odd reason.

Remember we have a discord channel if you want to discuss what you are playing and beat even further with monthly and quarterly optional game clubs!

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Here we go again.

1. A Space for the Unbound | PC | ★★★★☆ | 1-6
Not much to say about the story without spoiling it. We've seen similat stories before, but I'm just a complete sucker for this kind of story. I love the strong sense of place in this game, made in Indonesia and set in Indonesia and feels, sounds and tastes Indonesia. Gameplay is mostly just running around talking to people and light puzzle solving. If the narrative doesn't hold you attention, there's not much else in this game for you.

Main Post

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 3 - Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Time: 25 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: 9/10

Easily my favorite match-3 game ever, and in general one of my favorite games ever really, I had played it back on Pc many years ago and now on the Switch it completely holds up (and is a perfect port to boot). Lengthy campaign, great art style, actually decent writing for what it is, and the match-3 gameplay is great with constant new units / pieces to use as you move from one campaign to the next, just a perfectly executed game in my opinion and it was a blast to replay. Highly recommended if you like match-3 in the slightest.

Main Post

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I've never participated in this because it seemed like such an impossible task, but I'm going to try this year! I'm already close to eating a game!

So this is my reserved spot! Excited to do this!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Main Post

I'll join this year. I lurk a lot here for recs.

1. Air Zonk (PCE)

I played this via the Wii VC. Has been on my backlog for ages. I love SHMUPs but I suck at them. I've been exploring the PCE library a lot late. Thanks to both the Wii VC (RIP) and the mini consoles. I played this in the easiest difficulty, which its charmingly called Sweet. I didn't get the powerup system at first, then read about it and it made it a bit more strategic. Not sure if I'll go for a 1CC, but I think I will replaying this for a long time. Charming game. The music and art direction are fantastic.

2. Elden Ring (PS5)

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Having a Steam Deck makes this an actual possibility me for these days. Here we go...

#1 Hogwarts Legacy (PC) - Dec 26th-January 6th (21 hours) 6.5/10
Once the charm of the Harry Potter license wears off, this thing falls off HARD.

The first few hours exploring the world are super fun, but once it becomes clear this is basically just a generic Ubisoft open-world game with an IP skin pasted over the top, it becomes a lot less enjoyable.

The quests are super formulaic and forgettable, the story and especially the villain are meh. Level-gating quests is a blatant way to pad out the main campaign.

This is basically a pretty good 15-hour experience padded out into an OK 20-25-hour one. It does look nice, though.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
7. Dizzy the Adventurer (Evercade) - Probably the last Dizzy port Ill finish for a little while (the last Evercade one I have to do is gigantic, gonna need to consult a guide as to how Ill even tackle it...), but in the mean time, I thought Id play through this one (I do remember playing the iPhone port several years back and enjoying it, but my overall feeling was its rather easy). And... yeah its easy, Id say the easiest of the bunch but that's not exactly a bad thing... While falling into water still loses a life, and while there is an enemy that grabs you and you lose a life, the game is missing enemies to stun or KO you - this is in contrast to Mystery World Dizzy and those damn frogs + other enemies. And... Im a fan. The enemies in MWD really didnt add much aside slowing you down... It makes Adventurer a much speedier game by comparison but dont go thinking there's no platforming to be had - as expected your leaping through clouds again and that's quite dangerous this time! So you still need to watch your step. But thankfully you dont need to worry about an erant enemy showing up as you move to another screen and getting you before you can react.

Puzzle wise either Im getting more acclimated to the series again or its fairly easy. Then again compared to either Mystery World or Wonderland the map feels smaller, items feel more bunched together so you dont have to go to far to find what you need, you usually get what you need not long after finding the puzzle that needs it.
There's one puzzle I sorta fluked though - you get a carpet (a so called magic carpet) and honestly I wasnt 100% sure what to do with it. But I knew of a crown that I couldnt reach, and there's a cloud sorta close to it, so I tried dropping the item and it seems I got really lucky as I was literally in the right place at the right time! That's the sort of thing that could easily have kept me trying for ages until doing the exact right thing.

All in all, I enjoyed it. But I do feel that perhaps it needed to either be a bit tougher or a bit bigger... as is even me back in the day would have probably gotten through this one fairly speedily, while the likes of Magic Land or Fantasy Land would still have taken me ages.

8. Dreamworld Pogie (Evercade) - This little platformer acts as a spinoff of Dizzy that features his furry pet - Pogie. Its another one of those unreleased games (until more recently), and honestly I think it might just be the very definition of "run of the mill platformer". Back in the day, 2D platformers were so common you could take a swing in any direction and hit about 50, and while some like the original Dizzy, Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog etc. would go on to do well and last for many sequels, you get about 10 times more that are so bad or average that you'll forget about them as soon as the game ends.
That sadly is Pogie. Im putting some of it down to being unfinished - granted I dont know if its the case that the game is unfinished or just (until now) unreleased, but it definitely doesnt feel finished...
On starting the game you get a basic title screen then straight into level 1. Its a pretty flat platformer - scroll left to right and reach the exit. I say "flat" because the game never scrolls vertically - think of Sonic - where despite your goal being at the right of the stage - you have a lot of exploration in terms of which routes you take - higher ones tend to be a bit harder to reach, while lower ones are easier. Well with Pogie its just the bottom part of a route, and even then its simplified. Stages are short (a minute or two), there's "only" 15 (they go by real fast) and aside a couple of points where you may have issues with the low number of enemies, you really arent in much danger...
Stars litter the stages. Grab 100 and its a 1up for you. Its easy to push 10+ lives without losing any, for anyone that's played a few NES platformers, this'll offer almost no challenge. There's also a power up that makes you invincible, and it makes you faster, so basically your even more OP and if you ignore the stars you'll cleave through most of the level real quick.

Speaking of speed... your default speed is real slow. It feels like your controlling a brick... running only happens when you walk for a couple of seconds (not hold a button) so most of the time you plod along... thankfully control is spot on and there's really no pixel perfect jumps to speak of. But this thing moves slower than Dizzy himself... which is kinda hilarious (walking egg vs furry creature... which seems faster to you?)

And lastly, there's level warps to instantly move onto the next stage. Now if you think Mario, you think false walls, harder to reach pipes and beanstalks right? Well... they are all out in the open. These are another example on why I think the game isnt quite done, because you'll find certain stages where the warp is about 10 seconds into the level and hilariously easy to reach. Its as if the game itself is giving up and letting you skip ahead.

All round Ive played way worse platformers than this. This one at least is easy and controls great. But compared to quite a few other platformers Ive played, this one just feels so... pointless. Cant really blame Codemasters for shelving it, it wouldnt have lit up the charts.

9. Dynamite Deka & Deep Scan (Sega Saturn) - Im a big brawler fan, its no surprise that Shenmue and Yakuza both attracted my attention due in part to their real time brawler combat. Not to mention me being a huge retro fan that loves the likes of Final Fight, Streets of Rage and (in more recent years) Double Dragon. So its no surprise that I can sit down and play this beginning to end several times in one session without getting remotely bored!

Dynamite Deka is what Sega released Die Hard Arcade as in Japan (honestly, prefer it without the license attached anyway). Its a 3D set piece brawler where your trying to stop the bad guys blah blah (who cares about the plot lol) and it involves smacking a lot of people with your fists. And brooms. And robot legs... Also, guns! I say "set piece brawler" and not scrolling brawler as unlike 2D brawlers which scroll from side to side, this one takes place in arenas and each new encounter is bookended by a brief cutscene. These cutscenes do tend to break up the action a bit on the Saturn version since it has to briefly load the next bit, but it also includes QTEs that if executed properly, let you skip certain fights, else your going into a fight with some optional goons! The whole thing feels in part more like Renegade in 3D (Renegade also lacking scrolling levels opting for static screen encounters) but it really doesnt affect my enjoyment of the game. Combat has nice impact - your basic combo attacks feel satisfying to land, and there's encough damage to the scenary that you'll constantly find new weapons popping up.
Guns feel more like Capcom's "The Punisher" brawler, where honestly your OP as you have ranged shooting attacks that do great damage, and you can pick up extra ammo to prolong these attacks. Usually guns dont contain much ammo though, so even with the extra ammo pick ups its not like your walking through the entire game doing a gun only run! It mixes up combat nicely and the whole blend of melee, weapons and guns works super well. Sometimes it can feel a tad janky when your surrounded, as your character doesnt turn around instantly, so you do gotta make use of the punch+kick+jump attack to get you out of said sticky situations (it costs a bit of life to use, but it usually beats the alternative).

The game is also fairly short. Its an arcade game in origin so its not like your getting a 10+ hour Yakuza epic, but rather a short arcadey romp that's ultra replayable. The final boss is arguably the only moment where the game gets legit hard, costing a few credits if your not careful, but even he can be beaten after learning his pattern and keeping him close.

And in an interesting twist for extra credits - instead of changing things in the options, instead you have an arcade game called "Deep Scan". This is a retro oldie, originally released in arcades by Sega in 1979 and involves you dropping depth charges on enemy submarines below the surface - its incredibly straight forward - drop the charges to the left and right of you, and watch out for mines that float up to the surface. Honestly its the sort of thing that's fun for a couple of minutes and then Ive had my fill. And the cool thing about it in Deka is that you can quickly accumulate a dozen credits just playing this game. Which should be around enough to play the game through.

This is always a hard type of game to judge or give a score to. Its really short, but if I were to judge it on its best metric - fun - then Id say its a damn good game. Any time I wanna restart the game immediately after finishing it is always a good sign. Next up is doing a run through the arcade version, mainly for the novelty of it (and I can easily set it up on my Steam Deck!), then the PS2 Sega Ages version, because why not!

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

Reserving post. May Yakuza 8 not harm my ability to finish too many games lol. 1. The King's Bird (PS4) 2. River City Rampage (Evercade) 3. Double Dragon 2 (Evercade) 4. Treasure Island Dizzy (Evercade) 5. Wonderland Dizzy (Evercade) 6. Mystery World Dizzy (Evercade) 7. Dizzy the Adventurer...

Plum

May 31, 2018
Main Post

2x1_NSwitchDS_ChantsOfSennaar.jpg

GAME 3: Chants of Sennaar
PC | Completed 6/1/24 | 9 Hours Played | 8/10

A truly unique puzzle game that had some of the best 'ah-ha!' moments I've ever seen. Based around deciphering a small number of consistently-different languages, Sennaar is all about the intricacies of language, and how different cultures create, shape, and deploy it. Whilst - perhaps - the 'validation' system, and the accompanying journal images that help you along the way, make the game too easy, I feel that it was just easy enough myself to stop things from getting frustrating. An issue I could have easily seen the game having as, unfortunately, the sheer size of these levels (impressive at first, tedious the 4th time) is sometimes a noticeable barrier to the actual fun part: the language deciphering.

However, I can't deny the sheer 'cleverness' on display in this game, an element that rubs off on the player as it is designed very well to make you feel smart, even if you aren't really. It was a particular moment in the game's first language that cemented itself in my top 10 of 2023 titles, and - despite a few crappy stealth sequences - the rest of the game did not change that.

Last edited:

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
SlasherMcGirk's Main Post 52 Games 2024

Backloggd Link for Playing Now, Game of Year Lists and Past Reviews
https://www.backloggd.com/u/SlasherMcGirk/

1 Astalon: Tears of the Earth, 2 A Plague Tale: Reqiuem, 3 Chronicles of 2 Heroes, 4 Prison City, Last of Us part 2 remastered, Proteus, Moonscars

Game 1 Astalon: Tears of the Earth
Release: PS4 XBOX SWITCH PC 2021
Astalon%2BReview%2BBanner%2B02%2Bcopy.png

astalon-launch.jpeg

Astalon-review-1.jpg

730px-Atote_ruins_of_ash007.jpg

Review Score 9/10
The first time I caught a glimpse of Astalon: Tears of the Earth was on a quick hidden gems video. I really liked the graphical style and how the characters color's would pop very simialr to NES Castlevania or Mega Man. Watched a quick review for it and then I knew that this was a title I wanted to try out.

Astalon is a metroidvania style dungeon crawler through and through, although it plays and feels more like a classic vania but just in that world structure. What stands out the most about Astalon is it's difficulty and it's level design. Both elements are at it's core of what makes this game special and unique amongst it's peers.

Astalon's difficulty could turn off most fans of the genre but it's really one of the elements I really felt refreshing. First of all when I talk about difficulty I am not referring to it's combat. It's combat is very simple Castlevania style, with a few attacks and upgrades with multiple characters switching mechanic. Certain characters and only reach certain areas or have different kinds of attacks. Some are better for traversal or maybe better at tanking hits. It's very similar to the Curse of the Moon franchise of the last few years, and if anything feels like that I'm on board. Like most metroidvania's though with enough grinding and upgrades will make most encounters trivial with time, so even if there is an initial hurdle on an enemy or boss it isn't for very long. Every time you die you get a chance to upgrade your characters, health, damage and acuire new items. So even if you are constantly dieing and feeling like you are not making any progress, you actually are.

The difficulty is really all about exploration. Moving from section to section taking out monsters and trying not to die to reach new areas is where the struggle lies. Everytime you die you start back at the very begaining of the game. No checkpoints. Granted yes you can make some short cuts and open some elevators in the massive tower but reaching one side of the map to the other usually is quite the trek. On top of that Astalon has an interesting system when it comes to healing. Enemies do not drop health pick ups, there item useage to recover health and you do not recover health from killing enemies. (Although there is a late game upgrade that has a random chance to drop health) Instead there are candle sticks that littered throughout the tower that drop 4-5 HP refills. Once they are used they are gone for good. The only way to replinish them is to buy them back after death from the merchant. This may sound kinda punishing for new players but I felt this really prevented repeated enemy spawn killing for health and made exploration more tense.

What I really like about the exploration in Astalon is just how much of the world is explorable from the get go. There is barely a set path that makes you feel like you have to explore this area first or this one next. There are three major bosses that have to be killed before the reaching the top of the tower and they do have to be killed in order but the rest of the map is completely optional. Exploring one hard section might feel like your not making progress in anything but then you get a really useful item or get some permenant upgrades and a ton of cash that make the off the beaten path totally worth it. The items in this game are really usefull and total game changers. Imagine not unlocking the elevator to travel up and down the tower. Toatally missable. So if the game is so open to explore is it frustrating to make any progress? Well yes and no. The game kinda works on a simple 3 key system. White keys, Blue Keys and Red Keys. Keys are in fixed locations and never change. White Key's typically lead to more critical pathways in a dungeon. Blue Key's seem to be more for rewards, hidden areas and short cuts. Red Key's are the rarer key's that unlock major critical areas or super rewards.
You will find yourself at times with like five different areas to explore and you choose one and you don't have enough keys to fully explore yet or lack a upgrade to get through an obsticle. In fact it seems a very common response to this game is people asking if it's possible to soft lock your game because you used the wrong keys in the wrong areas and the answer to that is no. That just goes to show you the importance of choice of what kind of key to use and in what spot. I can see a permenant health upgrade over here but I aslo need a blue key to keep exploring the catacombs and I might not know when I find another one. It's these kind of choices that really highlights how well crafted this games world is. Many games have secret areas or false walls in these old school platformers but only Astalon I can remember where some of these areas are required to progress and not just small easter eggs to get an item. You never ever wanna leave a single room unexplored and pay close attention to how many exits a room has. Also I REALLY appreciate that once you explore about 85-90% of the game you can buy a map to fill out the remaining rooms you haven't found. So many metroidvania's time wasted missing one or two rooms preventing 100% exploration but not here.

The only thing I didn't like about Astalon where the unlockable extra modes. They were extremely poorly designed and overly difficult. It made a nice platinum run a little more tedius and annoying. Boss Rush is a complete RNG nightmare. Just ignore those extra modes. Still I got a solid 15-20 hours completing the main game 100% and it was a very enjoyable experiance. I would definitly say that Astalon is a hidden gem and right out of the gate for 2024 a definite contender of my favorite games of the year.

Platinum #200

PERSONAL ACHEIVEMENT UNLOCKED 200th Platinum Trophy!
Platinum_Trophy_PS5.png

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

FWIW my current standard for this is... well, it's not simple, but hopefully it's clear:

Anything that's just a collection of levels/stages/etc., I generally say I'm done when I've finished all the main levels. So in your example, yeah, I'd count that.

Roguelikes/lites I tend to consider complete once I've done a specific run, but it depends on the roguelike. For example, something like a Brotato or Vampire Survivors, where finishing a single run doesn't take very long and the joy is in figuring out how to win with every character, I'll consider characters/stages to be my guideline. Something like Hades I'll finish however many runs it takes to see the end of the story (but I guess this falls under story games so it's sort of irrelevant here).

Live-service games that have discrete sets of missions that you can complete, I handle like DLC expansions and record a completion for every set I do. So for example, every Final Fantasy XIV expansion or Destiny expansion's main campaign would be a game completion. I'm going through some of the GTA Online stuff now and it turns out many of the big updates have their own discrete mission storylines, so I consider completing each of those to be a completion.

Any live-service game that doesn't have obvious chunks of content that can be considered independent, I'll resort to a time-played threshold of 10 hours, which is a now-ancient suggestion for how to handle multiplayer games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. This generally means I count these kinds of games only once, even if I've played hundreds of hours.

But ultimately it's whatever feels right to you, I think. Plenty of people play games that are an hour long or less to get their numbers up, and I don't think anyone really has an issue with that. There are times I've popped into the Discord asking about specific edge cases and almost always the answer is "yeah sure I'd count it."

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game 4 - Lost Ruins
Time: 6 hours
Rating: 7/10

Pretty short metroidvania with some basic gameplay but pretty satisfying exploration and survival mechanics / item management (I've never used as many food / health items in one of these in my life!), and some truly amazing pixel art especially portable (although I should warn you, it leans HEAVY on the usual anime "waifu" stuff). I had a good time but it's not amazing by any means, probably just for the most hardcore fans of the genre, and worth it mostly for the pixel art. It's also pretty hard, as you die very fast, but you can also do some real cheesy builds later one that trivialize it.

Main Post

arvan59

Aug 2, 2021
apps.61535.71809554577530464.cb2c0ad9-fe6e-458d-8dc5-24fd7199c312.40811f0e-caf4-431d-84c7-0eb49679bd5f

1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC) - 1/03

For a two and a half hour standalone dlc in which in you repeat the same three levels three times, I surprisingly enjoyed my time with American Nightmare. Remedy gets a lot of mileage of out the new enemy types (such as enemies that multiply when struck with light or birds that now briefly change into a corporeal form), and the new weaponry. I mostly stuck to the smg and carbine and didn't feel much need to change it up, but it was satisfyingly all the same.

The new focus on Mr. Scratch and the charming use of FMV help to differentiate itself slightly from the first game's style and i'm curious to see how Remedy expands on these formal elements in Alan Wake 2. The actual levels themselves are fine - tedious, but not painful. You repeat the same objectives (though with some steps removed each time you loop back to a level) to create a diorama of sorts that will repel Mr. Scratch. Next up is a replay of Control then i'm finally up to Alan Wake 2!

th

2. Frog Detective: The Haunted Island (PC) - 1/06

A bite-sized detective game with an emphasis on an endearing writing style and blunt sense of humor. The actual gameplay serves mostly as a vehicle for the writing and the characters, but there's just so much charm packed into its 30 minute runtime.

Main Post

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
10. Magic Land Dizzy (Amiga) - After playing through Wonderland Dizzy I couldnt help but wonder what the original was like, considering Id not touched it for decades. And honestly... its so much better. Here's why:

The game is basically the same premise as Wonderland - find and save your friends who have been afflicted in various ways. A number of your friends will either be in different situations as they were previously, or have completely different puzzles associated with them. For example the bush puzzle remains the same, though Denzel (I think - the one with the shades) goes from being shrunk down, to being an ice block that blocks access to the castle - hence you need to grab warm water from the spring close to the volcano to thaw him out. This then changes Dozy's puzzle, as you no longer chuck water on him, but rather use a lightning conductor, and summon a genie a number of times close to him, who eventually gets pissed off at you and shoots lightning, only to hit Dozy instead thanks to the conductor.

Basically my point is - Magic Land has FAR better puzzles. All the Wonderland fetch quest stuff is gone, and honestly considering that you dont even need to think to solve those, its no loss at all. Usually there's more thought put into them, and are just more satisfying to do. Wonderland definitely felt watered down.

Also cut fromm Wonderland is the stun mechanic. Granted you have limited health now, but Ill take that over constantly getting stopped for several seconds because a bird brushed past you...

The rest of the game is familiar Dizzy stuff - acclimate yourself to the map and the main obstacles (for this game, its those damn lilly pads in the swamp, something Wonderland and it has in common!), and then slowly but surely figure out how to solve the puzzles and where to find items etc.
Again, something this has that Wonderland doesnt so much have is a rather tricky cloud platforming section - its not entirely cut in WL, but its cut back drastically. Originally you need to do a number of platforming screens on clouds and a high up tree house, then more clouds to reach the top of a stone structure. THEN be incredibly careful and land a pixel perfect jump onto another cloud, then leap blindly to Stone Henge (sorry, "Weird Henge"). There's a diamond up here + the dagger you need to get a leaf for a puzzle. The dagger and collectible were both moved in WL maybe to make things easier?
Another change that makes me vastly prefer Magic Land is the end game puzzle (even if its the definition of back tracking). In WL all you need to do is help all your friends, get all stars, and you can finish the game.

However in Magic Land, the final puzzle goes like this: After saving all your friends, the main villain of the series (Zaks - whose completely absent in WL...) activates the Volcano at the far end of the map - so you need to back track all the way, over those damn lillipads, then head up the Volcano - which is now spitting smoke and fire - so you can cross it, to reach the other side. Here you find the entrance to Hades (kids game btw) and meet The Devil. He tells you that he was tricked by Zaks and that in order to defeat him, you need to use his trident to kill Zaks. So its back to literally the other end of the game world, fraught with those perilless jumps, then reach Zaks who is actually quite a chump to defeat, just evade his attack, use the trident on him - per the game - to stab him in his heart to kill him (kids game remember). Now heat aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way back to the right, hope you dont die (only 3 lives and your done!) and give the ring you get from Zaks to The Devil, who tells you to throw it into the depths of Hades, which finishes him off for good. Then assuming you were smart and got all 30 gems, you finish the game. If not... well more travel for you!
I just feel this is a much more satisfying end to the game (backtrack aside), it definitely feels more "final". I dont think this is the last game in the series mind you, but it sure feels like it should be the last one!

The only trickiness to the game, which messed me up for years are the jumps to the right side of the screen. That's where all the pixel perfect jumps are that probably cost everyone their lives on more than one occasion. And the fact you gotta make the trip several times even when you know exactly what your doing, it'll absolutely maximise the chances of you making a mistake. But it still remains my favourite Dizzy game. Just the right length, good puzzles, and a satisfying conclusion.

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

[/QUOTE]

In Progress:
Some games I started this year that Ive not finished yet. The Crew is my main target for the time being since that's getting turned off at the end of March so I kinda gotta play it now else I'll lose my chance to play it again!

The Crew (PS4 via PS5) - 24 + hours so far - Minimal story progress made, Im having too much fun with the challenges and exploring the cities and environments - its still a fairly nice looking game, and seeing the environments change from grassland to mountains, to desert etc. and then finally reach civalisation after a long stretch is all kinds of cool. I really love the open world, which makes it all the more annoying that the game is online only. Finally afforded my first exotic car (Lamborghini) and am now heading from Vegas to Florida to unlock the Performance mods on it (and doing any challenges etc. I find along the way).

Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) - 5+ hours so far - While it lacks a Crew style open world, lets be honest RR7 handles vastly better. I adore the power slides, the nitrous, and the courses (some familiar, some seemingly new). I just unlocked a class 2 car, still lacking class 1 cars, but am still fairly early in the game, wrapping up a few more single races before hitting the GPs again. Kinda sad that this is the last RR game I have left to play before playing all of them ;( But on the bright side, it still looks and plays gorgeous.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
OIP.biHIOC1FfopXCBCaa3zcPwAAAA

Game 5 - Super Mario RPG
Time: 12 hours
Rating: 7/10

Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed with this one. Super charming and it looks gorgeous, but the overall package feels very dated in my opinion (I guess such a faithful remake would), the combat is alright with the timing based attacks, but I felt the writing was really bad (and childish, more than usual), the story was completely bland and the characters uninteresting. It's also really short for a JRPG, but to be fair I pretty much just mainlined the game as it wasn't doing much for me and I had no interest in the side stuff. Shame, I didn't hate it or anything, and it has the Nintendo charm, but I certainly didn't love it either.

Main Post

Squardles

Oct 17, 2023
First 5 games completed for the year.

Main Post

ygoMs8N.png

1. Doom Classic Unity - XSX - 5/5
2. Sigil - XSX - 4.5/5
3. Sigil 2 - XSX - 4/5
4. Doom Classic Unity - XSX - 4/5
These 4k Remasters were done extremely well, played great on the Series X with a controller. I will always prefer the more labyrinthine level design of the original Doom over it sequel but still had a great time. First time playing Romeros recent chapters Sigil I and II. Preferred Sigil I in both level design and OST compared to Sigil II.
5. Cocoon - XSX - Either a 4 or 4.5/5
Having a hard time deciding how I would rate this one. The visual and audio design is top notch, puzzle mechanic is extremely fresh and well thought out, but I was a little let down with how easy it felt in the end. Funnily at the same time really enjoyed it for being a puzzle game respected my time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I'm back baby. Let us pray I get at least 10 games this year!

<Reserved>

ApinchofSaltz

Oct 27, 2017
CHCu4l0l.jpg

Game 2 - Prototype 2
Time - 10 hours
Platform - Steam Deck
Score - 6/10

Game 3 - Dredge + The Pate Reach DLC
Time - 12 hours
Platform - PS5
Score - 9/10

Main Post

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN POST

MASTER9.png

Quick Update
  • Eigengrau - Easily one of the most creative SHMUPs I have ever played. The gameplay is almost as much puzzle as it is a shooter.
  • Star Parodier - A ton of charm and would be a great beginner SHMUP for those new to genre as difficulty is very easy majority of game
  • Dredge - Great gameplay loop that leads to longer gameplay sessions. It always feels like you can make small advancements on your next fishing trip.

Remember we have a discord channel if you want to discuss what you are playing and beat even further with monthly and quarterly optional game clubs!

I really love the style with this. The River City Girls 2 one looks so so good.

Thank you! Always try to do some variation into a "baseball card' as I print them out at the end of the year. Luckily its been fairly easy to apply across all games so far and very quick.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
11. Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (Evercade) - Wow, an apt title if ever I saw one, and definitely the grand send off for the character I wanted. If each Dizzy game took me around 30 minutes to complete (roughly) on a perfect run (not counting the hours that it took getting me ready for said run!), then this one is several times as long.

Originally Id tried this and sorta wrote it off as the game trying to be too big (a problem with UK platforms at the time - trying to outdo their previous games by doubling or even tripling the number of screens included in sequels), but this one actually works, it just takes a while to get into the groove.
As always, its a puzzle platformer that relies on you exploring areas, getting items, solving puzzles with said items to open up new areas and get more items, rinse and repeat. The difference this time is the scale of the game - usually the Dizzy games have one central location, or a couple of small locations. Treasure Island Dizzy was basically just the island and a few under water screens), Magic Land was mainly a forest and two small castles. Fantasy Land/Mystery Land again had a small castle and a surrounding area to explore. But all were only a few screens in size, minimal scrolling either.

This one starts with the Yolkfolk treehouse - substantially renovated from before and its really pretty big. The first several minutes (or starting out - hourish) is gonna be spent here. There are a number of keys here as well as items, again unlike other Dizzy games you'll actually have a lot to do here before really bothering to venture out beyond the opening screens. As you ascend higher you find more items, keys etc. and you start to put together a small but decent amount of gear that will serve you well in the coming areas.
You'll leave having helped a couple of your friends, while a few puzzles will be left unsolved, needing items from elsewhere. So off you go... To the left you have a town, to the right you have the (treasure) island and a mine which feels very familiar... its far from a 1:1 replication, the island especially houses a few puzzles that absolutely have been taken from TI Dizzy - using the axe to cut through the floor, an item to pull up an underwater block, having a big underwater wreck to explore etc. And this basic concept repeats a few times - in the mine you need some TNT to blow up a wall, and a dragon egg to calm a dragon - puzzles used in TI and Fantasy Land respectively.
There's also a graveyard, sky, pirate ship and Zaks Sky Castle area to explore - all fairly big and all oozing with puzzles and items. It took me a couple of hours to understand the loop and the subway system for the town alone, but after a while it gets way easier to traverse thankfully! And at that point I really started appreciating the game for what it was.
There's also a few mini games included. Honestly, I mainly dislike these. There's stars here to collect but they are required and go on far too long, and are far too cheap for their own good. I kinda love the nod to TI Dizzy where you are forced to walk the plank (its basically why you end up on the island in TI in the first place!) and the mini game here is the shortest and easiest - a homage to another Dizzy game - Bubble Dizzy - where you ride bubbles up to the surface, but the rest sorta just slow you down. But thankfully these are only required once, after that you open shortcuts to avoid them from there on out.

All in all, the game bills itself as a greatest hits of Dizzy, and to be honest it feels it - familiar yet new, bigger than ever yet somehow it works, its a great game.

For the most part.

See, there's two things that sorta bring it down, as with other games in the series. Difficulty and collectibles.

I used save states for this game. Evercade has this option and honestly Id be mad not to use it. This game has no native saving what so ever, your expected to do the entire thing in one sitting with only a handful of lives and initially plentiful health... but the game is big, enemies are small yet damaging, and you backtrack TONS in the game. So yeah it can be a tad unfair. Dont get me started on uncontrollable rolling, getting stunlocked and KO'ed, and situations where you cant not lose a life... If not for save states, this game would be a chore, no doubt.

Secondly, and while not the worst problem, Im not a fan of the collectible stars. There's 250 of them, and unlike before you actually have a reason to grab them - it removes a barrier to the final platforming challenge. So they actually feel less like busy work this time. And bright side - they arent TOO hard to miss. But still, I very almost missed one, and that would be a nightmare to have tracked down on my own due to how huge the game world it is. I usually replay these games several times to fully appreciate them, and improve my runs, but due to this, I think I'll leave this at one and done for now. Its an amazing game, the best Dizzy game for sure, but its also the one I have the least desire to replay for now, which is sorta a shame. But at least it ends on a high note. And again thank save states for making this run possible!

In Progress:

The Crew (PS4 via PS5) - 35 + hours so far - Story progression continues slow as I continue to prefer to explore the game's version of America, doing random challenges with my nice new suped up Supercar which really nails those speed challenges. I want a Raid spec car, but that's back in Vegas... and I refuse to use fast travel so that can wait for a while lol.

Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) - 5+ hours so far - While it lacks a Crew style open world, lets be honest RR7 handles vastly better. I adore the power slides, the nitrous, and the courses (some familiar, some seemingly new). I just unlocked a class 2 car, still lacking class 1 cars, but am still fairly early in the game, wrapping up a few more single races before hitting the GPs again. Kinda sad that this is the last RR game I have left to play before playing all of them ;( But on the bright side, it still looks and plays gorgeous.

Dropped: Fantasy Land Dizzy (Amiga) - Technically I suppose this can sorta be classed as finished as I saved Daisy, but as per usual this game does the "get 30 shitty collectibles) and Im several short. And my temper is equally short lol.
Honestly, this is the flipside of my Magic Land Vs Wonderland comparison... This is technically the original version of what Mystery Land Dizzy is remade into, only this time, its way worse (in my opinion). Here's my rough list of dislikes by comparison:

Graphics. Not sure how the Amiga lost this one... but unlike the other NES games which tend to lack something, I actually vastly prefer the more cartoony look than the generic look on the Amiga. Stuff like the dragons especially look far better on the Amiga.

Collision detection. This one makes Fantasy so much worse to play. Ignoring the instant kill torches, there's stuff like the dinosaur creature which is a nightmare to avoid that just makes this game a complete chore to play. I really cant say I like it.

The collectathon. Easier on the NES version. You wont be left wondering where shit is (which is hilarious considering the Amiga version gives you a map)

The end encounter. Again, flipside to the previous comparison - Fantasy has Daisy in the sky castle but all alone. Mystery has her in the castle guarded by Zaks which has an entire puzzle tied to it (get armor to reflect the lightning attack, then time it right and reflect the attack to defeat him)

In general puzzle placement, while similar, feels rougher in Fantasy - like needing 3 boulders (that blend into the background) instead of 2 more obvious ones. Or the rope/croc puzzle which is largely pointless since you can leap over him just fine without using the rope in Fantasy. Mystery forces you to use the rope, so it feels like it has purpose. Mystery has you throw items from a distance - making puzzles just a tad easier as you dont gotta get up in the face of things that One Hit KO you. Then you have the entire beanstalk puzzle which I just like more in Mystery...

While Mystery has the frogs which are annoying, they are still less annoying than the general obstacles in Fantasy...

So overall a bad final phase made me call time out on this one. If I were loving it until then I might have forced myself to finish it, but as of now, I dont really feel like I can be bothered lol.

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
81DvX3oij3L.jpg

2. Ys Chronicles 1
Ys has wormed its way into being one of my favourite series. I love these silly little games. Ys 1 is kinda garbage but in a charming way and not in a Ark of Napishtim way. Sure, most bosses come down to luck because the bump system has absolutely no skill involved. But it's also very silly and fun to play. Also, wow, Dark Fact is such a stupid boss. I laughed a lot during most of my attempts. Can't wait to play more Adol adventures.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Main Post

UsSlRRT.png
Well my first game for January is done and let's just say it definitely isn't what I expected it to be. Had some people in the discord recommend I start throwing up my silly little monthly photoshops into these updates so I'll be starting that now.

IHXijfn.jpg
1. Hentai 3018 (PC) - January 8th (1 Hour)
My first game down for 2024 is um..... Hentai 3018..... It's not what you think it is!!! So a friend of mine gifted me this as a joke for Christmas. It's basically just one of those fake Steam games that let you farm achievements (and maybe it's using my pc to mine crypto or something idk). I thought it'd be funny to actually try playing through it with said friend though so we did. It's a very basic puzzle game, just try to get to the level's exit by going through different doors and occasionally grab a key, hit a switch or avoid/use the games only enemy along the way. Most of the puzzles are very simple but to be fair there were a handful of levels that legitimately made me think so I'll give it that. Actually moving around is ok, the dedicated jump can sometimes be a little unresponsive but I've played worse. The fact there's a jump button on screen at all times is kinda funny though. After beating this the first time I I thought I'd try speedrunning it as well which was honestly a decent bit of fun, I could see myself coming back to race it with a friend as a joke. I definitely wouldn't say this was a good game, probably not even ok, but as a joke from a friend it's gotten a decent laugh out of me.

2.5/5

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
main post

JQkara8.png

3. Grand Theft Auto Online: The Criminal Enterprises (PC, 2022) - 7:59 - January 10
Operation Paper Trail, the main set of missions that arrived with The Criminal Enterprises, feels a lot less substantial than the Freakshop and its drug-addled inhabitants. There's two good reasons for this: first, the Drug Wars missions are actually two questlines, added in two separate updates; and second, The Criminal Enterprises seems to add a lot more business-related missions that don't have their own storyline. Makes sense for people who want more to do in the sandbox, and I've already started digging into some of that stuff to try and make more money before I jump into another questline. Though to be honest, I don't really know how many more soloable questlines there are; it already feels a bit like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The missions aren't bad, but I didn't find anything particularly special about them. In theory there are some missions that feel like they'd work well with a stealthy approach, but in practice stealth is pointless and you're going to end up shooting everyone no matter what. The storyline doesn't have a lot of heat either, though that's probably due to 99% of it being told to you over the phone from your handler, U.L. Paper. So it ends up mostly feeling like a bunch of missions where you do stuff, not that different from a lot of the other one-off repeatable missions you can do in the game, but at least more elaborate in construction. Okay.

One thing that stands out as I get more familiar with GTA V on PC is that somehow the controls still don't feel right. I've been switching between keyboard/mouse and gamepad a lot, and every time I think I get used to one of them, something random will come up that I won't know the binding or controller button for, even after checking the Settings screen (usually in the middle of an ongoing mission), and I'll end up switching awkwardly. Driving tends to feel better with a controller, but if I need to shoot at anything, I have to switch to mouse. Walking around generally feels okay on keyboard/mouse (minus Rockstar's fantastic tendency to make even turning a human being feel like changing the course of a yacht somehow), but if you have to swim underwater you basically have to switch to controller or you'll drown because the game doesn't really tell you how to pitch up and rise to the surface. These sorts of annoyances pile up over time, and while I've adjusted to a bunch of them, more remain.

Last edited:

designiana

Dec 6, 2023
02-super-mario-rpg-mini.jpg

Super Mario RPG
Finished: 2024-01-09 (15h)
★★★★★

I only vaguely remember playing a bit of this back in the day so I feel no nostalgia for the original installment but I had a blast playing this remake!

What I most appreciated about Super Mario RPG is how lean and to the point it is, which is something communicated down to the title of the game and even the cover art: just a blank background, the iconic typography and characters. That's it — no backtracking and no grinding, you simply go through an area, explore it and pack it up for the next big thing. As someone who rarely enjoys AAA games these days it was nice to play one that didn't feel particularly self-aggrandizing or like it was tripping over itself for the sake of player retention. A vapid little story with funny moments featuring cute and wacky characters that doesn't outstay its welcome can be good enough for me!

I think my biggest problem with the game is the movement (something that can probably be traced back to the original game if I were to guess), but mostly because a Mario game with mediocre movement is notable and the game does have some weird jumping sections sprinkled throughout the world: I was terrible at that brief vine section, and I just 100%'d SMB Wonder last year! The isometric perspective looks great but it really messed with my depth perception...​

03-papetura-mini.jpg

Papetura
Finished: 2024-01-09 (1h)
★★

To be honest, I got this game mostly for its soundtrack since I'm a huge mark for Tomáš Dvořák/Floex's work and the seemingly Amanita Design-adjacent style of this game.

Great production design, the handcrafted models and scenery are beautiful! But I really felt the lack of consideration for the narrative and puzzle design in this one. I didn't care for the puzzles, but a weird problem I had with them is how... unimaginative and human-centric the solutions were? Per the official description, "It tells the story of two little creatures whose house is in danger of being burned down", and that is quite telling since I felt like your character is ultimately a little paperman and not really a creature integrated in this environment: you fish and even "shoot" seeds throughout the game, which was really frustrating in one particular puzzle. For me, Papetura kinda felt insecure about itself in terms of mechanics so they added more 'active' commands, or maybe there just weren't any ideas in there besides the aesthetics to make it all work together. In any case, if the puzzles were straight up better constructed/contextualized I wouldn't be as critical of everything else.

It may be a backhanded compliment but in this sense the short length of this game really helps it!​

04-mediterranea-inferno-mini.jpg

Mediterranea Inferno
Finished: 2024-01-09 (3h)
★★★★★

Man, I had a great bad time with this (complimentary), and I'll be thinking about it for a while. This is video game psychodrama done right, in a laser targeted way and uncompromising of its own message.

I've enjoyed some VNs before but most of what I've played in the genre basically only consisted of text boxes + illustrations, so to me it all comes down to the quality of the writing, and in that they disappoint me more often than not. Not that I need some pointless interactivity for the sake of it (e.g. I think cutting choices in The House of Fata Morgana would improve it, among other things) but if 95% of what you're doing is reading, then the words on the screen are what I'll latch on to.

Mediterranea Inferno conveys so much of the abrasive interiority of the three protagonists beyond dialogue and character design by putting a lot of care into actual setpieces and sequences. The sound design also does a lot of heavy lifting here. In short, I think the presentation is fantastic and really compliments the writing. To me, going through these carefully crafted scenes was a lot more persuasive than your usual, barely-edited VN monologue.

In this game you follow 3 fucked-up people that were deeply bruised by their experiences with Covid and their unresolved, messy relationships, be it with family, friends and own selves. The writing is not afraid to get to the point of these people's issues and how profoundly unsettled and uncomfortable they are with themselves in relation to others.

The structure is reminiscent of I Know The Devil, in that you have a trio of characters with different agendas and dilemmas, but the stated goal here is to crown one of them and fail the other two. Trauma stories are pretty cliché these days but mostly because they're often used as a shortcut for conflict imo. In this game, we're not pupeteering these characters towards an optimal ending but exploring their deep-seated issues and how they're further warped by context, which range from their personal circumstances to Covid, lockdown and the many political issues in Italy. I'm glad that this game cares enough to say something about the world beyond itself, something that is not often well-handled in narrative-based games, besides the perfunctory allusions or silly metaphors. Having seen all 'routes', I really want to sit with this game a bit more and replay it later in the year for more developed thoughts.​

Main Post

Last edited:

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
<< Previous Post | Next Post >>

stacklands-desktop-logo-all.jpg

2. Stacklands | Jan 08 2024
Developer: Sokpop Collective
Genre: Card Game, City Manager, Deckbuilder (sort of?)

Oh god, I started playing this game at 2pm and when I next looked at my clock it was 10pm

A simple, addicting gameplay loop. It's part deckbuilder, part village manager. You have little villager cards that you have to feed and protect from monsters. You get things for em by initially buying card packs. The card pack will give you some basic items, and you use those basic items to forge more complicated cards to create a sustainable village. At some point you don't need to buy card packs any more because your cards will self-generate, duplicate, and automate the systems of your village.

It has a pleasant art style and silly sound effects, and it's pretty cheap so I'd recommend it!

nQhWf%2B.gif

d3f90208efe7c321c5477c7b5e746f47a39dc28897ff1d4c2756677e425e0000.jpg
3. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun | Jan 10, 2024
Developer: Mimimi Games
Genre: Stealth, Strategy, Tactical

After trying the Shadow Gambit demo and loving it, but not wanting to pay full price just yet, I went into my backlog and played another Mimimi game I had for a while, Shadow Tactics. These games are meaty and full of great level design. Each character has a unique kit that lets them sneak around the map and misdirect enemies. Favorite ability was Disguise, where I could chat up a guard for an infinite amount of time while my other team members snuck past.

There was also a mode called "Shadow Mode" that let you queue up moves from multiple squad members so you could execute an attack with all of them at once. A good balance between real time gameplay and something more tactical.

Had a pretty good story with voice acting too, which surprised me. Made each character more endearing. I'll be buying the DLC and then Shadow Gambit later.

WeeUnhealthyBooby-size_restricted.gif

Mediterranea Inferno
Finished: 2024-01-09 (3h)
★★★★★

Man, I had a great bad time with this (complimentary), and I'll be thinking about it for a while. This is video game psychodrama done right, in a laser targeted way and uncompromising of its own message.

I've enjoyed some VNs before but most of what I've played in the genre basically only consisted of text boxes + illustrations, so to me it all comes down to the quality of the writing, and in that they disappoint me more often than not. Not that I need some pointless interactivity for the sake of it (e.g. I think cutting choices in The House of Fata Morgana would improve it, among other things) but if 95% of what you're doing is reading, then the words on the screen are what I'll latch on to.

Mediterranea Inferno conveys so much of the abrasive interiority of the three protagonists beyond dialogue and character design by putting a lot of care into actual setpieces and sequences. The sound design also does a lot of heavy lifting here. In short, I think the presentation is fantastic and really compliments the writing. To me, going through these carefully crafted scenes was a lot more persuasive than your usual, barely-edited VN monologue.

In this game you follow 3 fucked-up people that were deeply bruised by their experiences with Covid and their unresolved, messy relationships, be it with family, friends and own selves. The writing is not afraid to get to the point of these people's issues and how profoundly unsettled and uncomfortable they are with themselves in relation to others.

The structure is reminiscent of I Know The Devil, in that you have a trio of characters with different agendas and dilemmas, but the stated goal here is to crown one of them and fail the other two. Trauma stories are pretty cliché these days but mostly because they're often used as a shortcut for conflict imo. In this game, we're not pupeteering these characters towards an optimal ending but exploring their deep-seated issues and how they're further warped by context, which range from their personal circumstances to Covid, lockdown and the many political issues in Italy. I'm glad that this game cares enough to say something about the world beyond itself, something that is not often well-handled in narrative-based games, besides the perfunctory allusions or silly metaphors. Having seen all 'routes', I really want to sit with this game a bit more and replay it later in the year for more developed thoughts.​
I really like your review of Mediterranean Inferno, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone else on Resetera mention We Know the Devil before, that is a very strong parallel to make.

Last edited:

SamuraiTech

Dec 28, 2019
Reserving while playing:

Completed 1/52:
  1. Syberia (PS3) - Siberia is a classic 'point and click' adventure game that was ported to the PS3 from an earlier PS2 port. While clearly showing its age, the amount of creativity and production value made it a fascinating experience. Solid voice acting, interesting characters, and a well-crafted, artistic world made it worth the time investment. There are several quality issues related to the PS3 port, such as traversal issues when trying to move the character across the pre-rendered field. I also noted some audio and visual problems during the game.
Currently playing:
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
Purgatory
  • Jeanne d'Arc (PSP on PSVita)

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
12. Super Robin Hood (Evercade) - Another Oliver Twins game, this time not staring a walking, talking egg. As the name implies its based on the legend of Robin Hood, with the game tasking you to collect all the treasure in Nottingham castle and saving Maid Marian... So standard paper thin 80s game plot.
The game itself is hard. Like, legit hard. If Mega Man or Ninja Gaiden or Contra is "NES Hard", this is "UK NES Hard", because Im strongly starting to believe UK game devs were insane during the 80s because there's some crazy shit required to finish this game! I personally used save states to "checkpoint" the start of every room or so. This was because there's no continues and extra lives are only given if you keep collecting more health, so really unless your really great at the game, you'll crash and burn. FAST.

The game itself is your standard platforming fare. Collect keys to open new areas or activate moving platforms, grab the treasure for the proper ending (dont worry, its right in front of you, you dont have to go out of your way to get it), while evading the various tricks and traps of the castle. The game is structured so that your progressing through one room collecting keys, until you find a platform or locked area which means you gotta head into a different area, get the key there to open the other obstacle, then progress. Thankfully the backtracking is never more than a few steps (you wont be backtracking half the castle for example), so you dont really get lost - usually you'll find a room with one or two ladders, explore those rooms, then go back to the room that had the ladders to progress further once the way is opened up.

What makes all this difficult are the obstacles. And your inability to shoot very well. There are basically three enemies in the game - bats (bastards to hit, as with any NES flying creature), little... things? that walk left to right and cant be shot (below your line of fire) so you can only jump over them, and enemy archers who shoot at you - sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes fast, sometimes slow... The archers will be the bane of your existence especially if they are placed and paced in a specific way - for example if you have one on your level, far away, they'll shoot at you, so you need to make it toward them, slowly, as you evade their shots. Its ok if its stuff you can duck but some you'll need to jump, which requires more precision. And if they are firing several shots in quick succession... well good luck. But the real bastards are the ones above you. Because you a) shoot slow, and b) dont fire the second you press the fire button. See, Robin pulls back the bow and releases to fire the arrow - so there is a delay in firing - so when dealing with certain enemies you have to time your movements in a certain order to take into account the delay. And its bloody annoying. If an enemy is just above you, you basically have to press fire, THEN jump to shoot the arrow in mid air, else your firing on your way down, too low to hit the enemy. And then you have the ones that need springs to hit them... its a chore.

The game itself is actually kinda fun otherwise. Controls are really solid for moving, so the platforming is absolutely solid (no Dizzy rolling to fuck you up here). And evading anything aside arrow flurries is a piece of cake. Its just a shame that the incredibly high difficulty makes playing the game legit a complete nightmare to consider. Respect to anyone speed running this game, I cant even fathom clearing this one with just the paultry number of lives (no continues!), which is why save states are so welcome. The funny thing is, I might have been harsher on the difficulty had I not played the next game right after, as it really puts things into perspective - a good game that's hard can be really fun, but a bad game... well read below

13. Final Fight (Amstrad) - Unplayable fucking garbage. Im legit amazed that those grifters US Gold dared to put this shit out, actually... I read up on their history, Im not surprised, they just dont give a fuck.

So Final Fight... legendary Capcom game - set in Metro City, Mike Haggar and co. beats up a bunch of goons to get his daughter back. Still a paper thin 80s game plot. But hey the game rocks and Im not exactly play a Final Fight game for the plot. Its set across 6 levels, getting longer and harder as they go, you fight against hordes of dangerous goons before facing off against badass bosses, and eventually kick the boss of Mad Gear out of a window, which really doesnt stop him (he will return as a Cyborg and Zombie in later games lol). But all in all, its a game that takes around 20ish minutes to complete, its amazing fun while it lasts, its tough, but I learn a little more with every run. I hold this game in incredibly high regard.

So that makes it all the more painful when I play a port so bad my only lasting thought is if Id rate this as 1 or 2/10 lol. Its legit so bad that the game is borderline broken, only avoiding a 0% rating because a) its technically completeable, and the controls sorta work so it is, by technical definition, playable. Barely. Oh, and the graphics are actually rather nice.

I dont have a history with the Amstrad, I was always a Spectrum person growing up, and Im mainly playing the Amstrad port because I cant for the life of me get my Spectrum Final Fight to work (even via emulation), but I did play it once, and honestly the only difference here is the game being in colour, so I reckon the rest of my teardown should be valid.

First the only good part - the graphics. The sprites actually bare quite a resembulance to the arcade game. The sprites are big, and colourful. So the game looks the part. In screenshots.

The game falls apart the moment the game begins and puts you in control of whoever you choose (from Haggar, Guy and Cody). Why yes! All three characters are included! Take that Super Nintendo!
The game runs at around... 10-20FPS I think. I cant tell for sure, but the game is so insanely slow, it literally runs in slow motion. Obviously animation has been decimated, adding to the awful feel/movement of the game. As you drag yourself across the screen, your first enemies show up to fight. And... oh no... the collision detection is broken. The act of simply hitting someone, the ONE thing they need to get to work in order for this to be remotely playable, is broken. Hitting someone is almost impossible. Most attacks go through people, the enemies (only two at a time mind you) instantly swarm you and end up on top of your sprite, and movement is so slow and cumbersome that being able to move, realign yourself, and then hit them is basically impossible.

So about 10 seconds into the game (ignoring tape load times) any rational person realises that this game is absolute unplayable garbage. And yet I continued... mainly thanks to infinite lives. But why? Well as mentioned above, it had all the characters unlike the SNES version, and Im playing every Capcom game AND port ever made, so it needs to be done! Old 80s computer ports also never have ALL the content of the arcade games, so this one is just 3 levels long.... right? RIGHT?

No, somehow, despite better games like Ghosts n Goblins being only a couple of stages long (with no second loop), this POS somehow limps through every FF level in the arcade game. Rolento included. And it gets worse and worse as you go. Like, I cant help but wonder who managed to finish this legit...
So the big problem with the game are the big enemies. Andore and Bill Bull, gorgeous sprites aside, have so much health that it takes minutes to defeat each one. You know that timer that arcade games have that never runs down because its really just a way to keep players from idling? Well here it WILL run out several times because its impossible to hit anyone, making every fight painfully dragged out.

And lastly, almost to add insult to injury, there are only around 6-8 enemies in a "part" of a level. Each level has around 3 parts then the boss. For example, the cut Rolento level (stage 4) from the arcade has you fight through a factory/refineary area, then up an lift with Rolento waiting for you at the top. The game breaks this up into the first part of the factory (with the fire pillars), the second bit being the factory section straight after, then the lift, then Rolento's fight on the lift. But remember - only around 6-8 enemies per part. What you get is 4 enemies, beat them all up, then walk... for 10-20 seconds with NOTHING happening. Only to reach the end of the area where a couple more enemies show up. Then onto the next one. This is even more hilarious in stage 5 (which is pretty long in the arcade), and in this port it feels like you walk the length of the level, but only fighting maybe 5% of the enemies you'd face (if that) in the level. Like... the levels didnt need to be this long, its pointless and actually makes those timer issues worse, as you waste a good portion of time hold right on your joystick for many seconds at a time...

By the time I finished the game Id kinda checked out... Level 5 goes on way too long with no actual Abigail boss fight. But with Andore instead (ok, one was clearly a sprite swap/tweak of the other, Ill allow it).
But level 6... fuck me this was fucking shite. Full disclosure - I dont like this level on any version. In my opinion its overly long and boring - it goes on way too long, lacks health pick ups for most of the stage, and I dont really enjoy fighting the final boss either. It makes the console ports more annoying with limited credits, as it can wear me down and end a run... its annoying enough if Im playing the excellent Mega CD port, let alone the fine SNES port, but this one? They actually did the moronic move and NOT shrink the stage down. You really do go through several areas of a couple of enemies per area, plod along painfully slowly, just hoping the next area is the last lol. Funny thing is, at one time I accidentally broke the game and it swapped me to Haggar - turns out he actually gets grab attacks (the only one to do so, I think?) and it makes things easier as they are insanely damaging. So that was nice. Still shit, but slightly less shit.
Anyway, you reach the end boss... and hilariously enough he's a complete pushover - I never actually saw him do his "shoot arrows" move, but he got a grenade throw copy pasted from Rolento only it really sucks (like Rolento in this game, who hurts himself more with grenades than you!). I ended up beating Belger without really taking any damage. Kinda wild considering the rest of the game is a living nightmare, while this fight is the complete opposite. Maybe the poor devs (who were no doubt forced by USG to crunch to finish the game in a couple of months) just gave up. I know I was ready to give up lol.

Absolutely without a doubt one of the worst games Ive ever played. I complained about Gargoyles last year (I mean, that game still sucks) but even that was better than this... which is a terrifying realisation. Fun fact, USG also released Street Fighter 2 on these 8 bit computers, and Ill absolutely be playing that as well at some point this year!

14. Strider (ZX Spectrum) - Thankfully after playing through Final Fight, my next post will be a positive one lol. Strider manages to avoid the porting curse and actually play half decent. Now granted there are concessions, but you know concessions are fine if it means the game doesnt play like Final Fight <shudder>

The game starts off with the iconic hand glider opening and Hiryu landing on the rooftop ready to slice and dice. The game runs fairly fast paced - which is promising. The game also has fairly ok collision detection, though sometimes it feels like my reach is extended beyond the Cypher's hitbox, but Im honestly not gonna complain about that as its not hindering me.
Due to the fast pace, its best to hold the fire button down. As in the arcade version enemies are lemmings and will run aimlessly toward you, so you always wanna be going on the offensive. Your power up list is reduced to just health and one option, but thankfully said option is incredibly useful and behaves as it does in the arcade, so here's to even better range and damage.
The first level is fairly "accurate" to the arcade, I mean within hardware constraints. The various midbosses are present and you still climb up walls etc. as in the arcade. The big creature made up of the various dudes is also present as the boss, though his attack pattern is dumbed down.

Stage 2 is mainly a fairly decent take on the arcade. Though the awesome "run down the mountain" moment doesnt really work and Solo is cut completely (nooooooooooooooo), but Metal Kong is still here, so that's good news!

Stage 3 is actually arcade stage 4 (the amazon) and its a condensed version of the arcade stage but it still manages to tick most of the boxes. The problem is, at the end of the stage, the game blends the sprites into the backdrop too much and you really cant see shit. The boss (huge robo dino) is missing, you just defeat 3 smaller dinos instead. Stage 4 is stage 3, but again its lesser because the whole anti grav gimmick is cut, as is the final leap onto the whip dudes small ship thing. Whip dude is waiting for you under the anti grav boss (the thing that moves around in the huge room). Only now its completely stationary, completely eliminating any threat it once was.

And stage 5 is basically half assed. The upside down platforming is cut, the anti grav boss returns again as it did before, and its still lame, and at the bottom of that area, you have the boss... no not the Grandmaster, just Robo Kong again because he was technically a penultimate boss in the arcade version...
Then the game just... ends.

The game's main weakness is being cutdown. Knowing Strider fairly well, its easy to see where stuff is missing or cut back, but I still have to applaud the game and give it credit for handling well, playing well, and having fairly decent graphics (for the system). Its far from the perfect port but I feel the devs were smart on the cuts for the most part, giving players a surprisingly fair game, and one that feels like the game its based on.

Currently Playing

The Crew - Still slowly plodding through the story and getting destracted with towns and challenges!

Spider-Man 2 (NGAGE) - Yes, an NGAGE game. And... I actually like it! I reckon I'll have this one done in a day or two, its strangely far from the worst handheld Spidey game Ive played.

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

[/QUOTE]

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Claimed for later. No way I'll hit 52 but if I can get to 10 I'll be lucky lol. Do you guys plan out your year and sprinkle in mostly small games among big ones? My biggest problem is getting bored of something after like 8 hours and dropping it.

Currently Playing:

Crystalis (NES) - I expect I'll finish this one, seems to be around 8 hours long and it hasn't been too hard so far.

Super Hydorah - Trying to get a specific score based achievment but I suck at STGs. If I can get it I'll just put it on easy and plow through the levels instead of focusing on perfection.

Made a backloggd recently and made a list there to keep myself organized. Follow me if you want :)
backloggd.com

To Beat '24 | smisk

Keep a virtual backlog of your video game collection, then rate and review the ones you've played to share with your friends!

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
UwEfcoh.jpg

Game 6 - Picross S Mega Drive & Master System edition
Time: 35 hours
Rating: 8/10

As usual, a banger Picross game, with bonus points for the pictures being from various games that really hit the nostalgia bone instead of just being random pictures, but at the same time, the series feels like it plateaued when they introduced color puzzles, and now it's always just more of the same. Of course more of the same here is great picross puzzles, but I wish they would introduce something new, or gave us more color puzzles at least, it feels like half the game (the normal and clip puzzles) are kinda boring now, and the other half (mega and color) is fantastic.

Main Post

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Claimed for later. No way I'll hit 52 but if I can get to 10 I'll be lucky lol. Do you guys plan out your year and sprinkle in mostly small games among big ones? My biggest problem is getting bored of something after like 8 hours and dropping it.

Currently Playing:

Crystalis (NES) - I expect I'll finish this one, seems to be around 8 hours long and it hasn't been too hard so far.

Super Hydorah - Trying to get a specific score based achievment but I suck at STGs. If I can get it I'll just put it on easy and plow through the levels instead of focusing on perfection.

Can't speak for everyone but from most its not planned out unless they are playing a optional quarterly/monthly winner. You get occasions where you know there is multiple big games coming up you are playing (for instance I plan on playing Yakuza 8, Persona 3 and FF7 Remake 2) and they all come out within 30ish day period so I may not plan to start another long game around that timeframe. Mostly just about having fun and playing games, clear out few titles that have collected dust on the shelf. I typically try to get ahead in Janruary with a few short games so I have a buffer the rest of the year but that doesn't stop me from playing longer games (replaying original FF7 currently).

One thing that helps to get to 52 is keeping track of what you have played either on a excel/google sheet or on sites like Backlogged...etc. Gives a quick visual reminder if you are ahead/behind as well as highlight other things like your unplayed games...etc. If you don't hit 52, there is no punishment :)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Did my usual take a breather for the first couple of weeks, time to jump back in

This year I will probably succumb to adding half stars the 5 star system (no, there's not a maximum 5 and a half star award though).

1. Solar Ash ★★★★

95809f4df749f7da15b11555368e9b87bfd22c4072b404faa649aac3f984e089

Colour me surprised at how ho-hum the reputation of this game seems to be, Hyper light drifter was considered a modern indie classic and Solar Ash is very much Heart Machine making a 3D spiritual sequel. Combat dialled back in favour of 3D platforming and movement as the defining element, while retaining the gorgeous art direction despite a completely different style in a strict stense with the shift from pixel art to full 3D, you can still see the same kind of bold use of colour and alien architecture/ruins merged with nature.

Early on, I did feel the same way as the somewhat muted reviews, the gameplay loop is definitely formulaic and the bosses amplify that by being a slightly dynamic continuation of it that feel punishing in a more annoying way than an actually tricky way when you slip up on hitting the weakpoints in time.
Still, as the game went on, I kinda just settled in to the formula, it's once again not actually dissimilar to hyper light drifter, you enter a new biome and explore it for 4 to 5 key interactive points (in this case, goopy eyeballs defeated by hitting a series of weak points on the clock via quick platforming)

It's a very zen game that constantly presents gorgeous dreamscapes to skate through. The inspirations feel like a strange combo of Sonic Adventure (yes, really, with that Shadow like skating movement, the homing attack option and grind rails, it's like playing a good version of Sonic Frontiers!), Super Mario Galaxy (the worlds gravity can shift on a whim, with breezy platforming around individual little islands and areas of sorts) and I suppose Shadow of the Colossus though perhaps unsurprisingly, the bosses can't even begin to reflect the depth of that game, and let's be real, and indie studio ain't gonna pull that off, it's there in spirit even if not execution.
What truly surprised me was the escalating scope of the world structure, late game areas truly sprawl out, high into the sky, deep under the ground, warping the gravity itself to present visually opulent masses of fractured land that draw your eye to go and investigate.

I was absolutely in my "I don't give a sheeeeeeeit about your story" mode for a lot of the game, each area repeating an optional collectable quest to gets the logs and suit parts of a former voidrunner who perished in the line of duty (voidrunner being your playable character Rei's role by the way). It's all very cookie cutter glum in the lore, though props to the fourth area subverting this with the NPC storyline involving a race of alien beings whose deaths were all due to their own optimistic stupidity.
Suddenly though, late game I started taking note of what was actually going on and felt a bit more connected to what was going on, so good work Solar Ash, made for a nice ending as well.

One issue I definitely have is that the game is pretty poor at rewarding your exploration efforts, the various alternative suits are a fair bit of work for middling alts where the final* one you get if you're collecting everything in chronological order is, I shit you not, a suit with the ability to find other suit parts you missed, except I didn't miss them so uhhhh, thanks for nothing? seems like that makes more sense to drop in an earlier area. Really it peaks with the reduced cooldown on the dash, the rest are kinda whatever.
Also the main collectable that litters the map like your mario coin trails and such, are cashed in to increase your HP, standard stuff then, but after each area completion, there's a recurring story event that causes you to lose one of those hit points, so this happens like 5 times, you'll have a max HP bar by midgame and the reward is constantly losing one and paying to get it back multiple times, come on heart machine, come on.
(* there was a nice final, final suit that does it all for 100% completion post game, which then of course has no purpose either)

I can certainly understand why it had some detractors, you probably get way more out of it by being a 3D platforming connoisseur, even from that angle there's not many advanced techniques to really flex with (at best your dash has some DKC like mid air jump capability, initially I thought the game had generous "coyote time" for ease of play but I think now that it was supposed to be more like the DKC roll jumps)
The loop is repetitive and the needle/weakpoint chasing is occasionally both confusing visually and iffy in execution, if you're not as tight with you platforming chops then you're gonna keep having to redo these segments which would grate.
Regardless, this game carried the flag of HLD's open exploration that just lets you be, I thought it was an impressive follow up considering the sheer jump in scope and scale.
I've mentioned the reception a lot and that's because my quick glance at opencritic earlier had it at 77 and I can't shake the feeling of it being lowballed when it's not far removed from its much loved predecessor.
Oh well, no big deal, I suppose I actually mention this because I went from planning to get this day 1, to seeing the reviews and moving to "on a sale" which finally became "when on gamepass" when it was my kind of game all along, should trust my gut a bit more eh.

(no photo mode is an absolute crime though)