• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Absolutely. You had stuff like the Witcher 3, which was big, but the world was largely empty/static outside the major cities. The actually interesting parts of Witcher 3 (dungeons, cities, etc) were very claustrophobic. RDR2 was the same, claustrophobic feeling points of interest dotted in a big empty world. I don't want big empty worlds, I want big living worlds.

It'll be easier next generation due to the upgrades, but you should understand that the hardware limitations for this are only half the issue. The other half is harder to fix, and that is developers manpower. Its very hard to design areas that feel lived in without manually putting effort on those areas. As such, an open world by definition is going to be less filled with these things than an experience which can be tailor made like a linear game for example. That's why open world games usually focus on specific points of interest(certain towns,locations ect) that they will then design by hand and leave the rest up to more generic asset creation

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
not much because of 4k
This thread is about the CPU, and advances in that field will touch much more than mere resolution.

Move from 2012 low power netbook CPU to one of the best modern high-performance desktop CPUs will enable devs to create bigger and better simulated worlds. More AIs, better animations, more interactive objects, larger draw distances, etc.

Simply put, in God Of War 2018, Kratos could fight against at most around dozen of enemies, inside environments devoid of life.

Big increase of CPU power could enable handling of lets say 20+ better animated enemies, inside a village with lots of NPCs, during a storm, while a dragon is wrecking shit all around.

World's are gonna get a big bump in simulation, size, variety, streaming speed, it's gonna be nice.

Oct 25, 2017
You'll just have to wait for devs to announce stuff. There isn't really anything that can be said that would give you a proper visual of next gen games. No one really knows what it would be like anyway. All we know is that the foundation for the tech next gen will be really good within the context of a console.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
This thread is about the CPU, and advances in that field will touch much more than mere resolution.

Move from 2012 low power netbook CPU to one of the best modern high-performance desktop CPUs will enable devs to create bigger and better simulated worlds. More AIs, better animations, more interactive objects, larger draw distances, etc.

Simply put, in God Of War 2018, Kratos could fight against at most around dozen of enemies, inside environments devoid of life.

Big increase of CPU power could enable handling of lets say 20+ better animated enemies, inside a village with lots of NPCs, during a storm, while a dragon is wrecking shit all around.

World's are gonna get a big bump in simulation, size, variety, streaming speed, it's gonna be nice.

I replied to the OP, graphically, it won't be a big leap because of the resolution and the performance costs of doing that.

Jan 21, 2019
Control with RTX is probably similar to what we will see.
That's like saying the Witcher 2 or GTA V on ultra is the best the PS4 is capable of. And then came red dead, and horizon and God of war and Spiderman and gears 5 and the last of us 2.

Console generations have never and will never be just current gen on ultra. It is always a seismic shift. Anything now on ultra will pale compared to the games we will have in 2 years.

Here is something that should be easy with next gen CPU, GPU RAM and SSD upgrades:

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's like saying the Witcher 2 or GTA V on ultra is the best the PS4 is capable of and then came red dead, and horizon and God of war and Spiderman and gears 5 and the last of us.

Console generations have never and will never be just current gen on ultra. It is always a seismic shift. Anything now on ultra will pale compared to the games we will have in 2 years.

Here is something that should be easy with next gen CPU, GPU RAM and SSD upgrades:

Last of us ps 3 tho?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
x3ATEmu.gif

• Greater simulation
  • Notably better LoD streaming system (responsible for stuff like pop-ins)
  • More objects on screen

Jan 21, 2019
Last of us ps 3 tho?

Yeah I can't even imagine their PS5 game. Probably something like Love, Death and Robots.

People need to realize how big the jump in CPU power is. Much better simulations are possible and some of the simulation that we moved to the gpu of this gen (because of the weak CPUs) can move back there and clear up more graphics power of the GPU. Add the insane SSD and we have a pretty huge jump.

The SSD will allow for more unique assets. I wonder if we will ever see repeating NPC when the SSD is fully utilized and machine learning is employed to create them.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It'll look kinda like AAA games do on PC now, with Ultra settings. Much better draw-distances and far less pop-in, higher quality shadows, better reflections, more accurate ambient occlusion, and hopefully 16x anisotropic filtering as standard (current gen have been typically 4x).

Expect really short load-times and less obvious rooms and animations hiding the transition to new areas.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I can't even imagine their PS5 game. Probably something like Love, Death and Robots.

People need to realize how big the jump in CPU power is. Much better simulations are possible and some of the simulation that we moved to the gpu of this gen (because of the weak CPUs) can move back there and clear up move graphics power of the GPU. Add the insane SSD and we have a pretty huge jump.
No I'm saying last of us can't compete with current gen games, even early ones visually.
Also no, the pre rendered cgi Netflix show? It's pre rendered for a reason, those kinds of visuals, be it image quality or lighting will be near impossible to do when it comes to real time 3d gaming

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Atomic Heart is the first game to give me that next-gen feel. Too bad it's in development hell and might never come out at this rate.

This and a cutscene are all we've got so far.

Jan 21, 2019
No I'm saying last of us can't compete with current gen games, even early ones visually.
Also no, the pre rendered cgi Netflix show? It's pre rendered for a reason, those kinds of visuals, be it image quality or lighting will be near impossible to do when it comes to real time 3d gaming
I means the last of us 2, sorry.

Second I believe we will approach it at the end of the generation, basically naughty dogs ps5 swan song. I could be wrong, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they pull it off. It's about the right tricks and shortcuts not accuracy like offline rendering.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think about shit like MHW Can benefit by having more shit happening in the background. Like instead of having only 3 large monsters on the map, you can have 5 or 6. The flora and fauna animate at full fps even further out. Basically more shit going on in the world even if the player isn't there to see it

OP
OP
SeriousGoku

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
That's like saying the Witcher 2 or GTA V on ultra is the best the PS4 is capable of. And then came red dead, and horizon and God of war and Spiderman and gears 5 and the last of us 2.

God damn. I might have a seisure if I ever play something that looks that good.

Nov 2, 2017

I don't know. I recently replayed Crysis 3 and in my opiniont it doesn't look out of place between the average current gen AAA multiplat title.

Oct 26, 2017
Anything now on ultra will pale compared to the games we will have in 2 years.

Just like how Crysis 3 on Ultra pales in comparison to various games in this gen.

No, not anything, because games like Metro Exodus, RDR2, Control on PC in 2019 won't pale compared to 2020 and 2021 games.

You guys have some really expectations, we ain't getting games pushing hardware unless they are 1st party in the first two years, we will see cross-gen games until 2022.

Crysis 3 is a current gen game

Crysis 3 is an old gen game.
February 2013

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
With the CPU, it's more of a game complexity or framerate question.

That's a ton of dumb guess work that its impossible to nail down, because we don't know what devs are doing cureently. Performance can already be gleaned by looking at current gen/last gen port PC title benchmarks.

Good places to go for CPU gaming benchmarks of the top of my head:
Guru3d
GameGPU (Russian, can change the language on the site)
Youtube, search for Ryzen 2/Ryzen 3000 specific cpu numbers.

TL;DR
Would you like to play CS:GO at 240fps+? Zen 2 will let you do that.
Would you like to play Sekiro, Bloodborn, or that alleged Demons' Souls Remake at 120fps? Zen 2 will let you do that.
Would you like to play Cyberpunk or FFVII Remake at 60fps? Zen 2 will let you do that.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's say it like this: It's exactly what Todd Howard was waiting for for Elder Scrolls 6.

OP
OP
SeriousGoku

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Just like how Crysis 3 on Ultra pales in comparison to various games in this gen.

No, not anything, because games like Metro Exodus, RDR2, Control on PC in 2019 won't pale compared to Late 2020 and 2021 games.

February 2013
Oh yeah you're right. But the PC version was always demoed using basically current gen hardware was it not? Basically a current gen game.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Ryzen 3 will be released next year, but it's way too late into be integrated to the consoles. The best scenario is that the consoles will feature a Ryzen 2 APU (Gen3), the most probable scenario is that they'll feature a custom Ryzen+ APU (Gen2).
It won't be Zen+ (Gen 2). AMD has confirmed several times that both Sony and MS have opted for 7nm Zen 2 CPU (Gen 3) with RDNA Navi GPU for their next-gen consoles. It'll be a semi-custom SoC.

It'll look kinda like AAA games do on PC now, with Ultra settings. Much better draw-distances and far less pop-in, higher quality shadows, better reflections, more accurate ambient occlusion, and hopefully 16x anisotropic filtering as standard (current gen have been typically 4x).

Expect really short load-times and less obvious rooms and animations hiding the transition to new areas.
No, they'll look better than today's PC Ultra settings. Do current-gen console games like The Order 1886, RDR2, TLOU pt. 2, UC4, Detroit look anything like last gen's PC game with Ultra settings?

Jan 21, 2019

No, not anything, because games like Metro Exodus, RDR2, Control on PC in 2019 won't pale compared to 2020 and 2021 games.

You guys have some really expectations, we ain't getting games pushing hardware unless they are 1st party in the first two years, we will see cross-gen games until 2022.

February 2013

Ok there might be some outliers that will stay fresh longer but as we move deeper into next gen and as tools get more sophisticated and improved, yeah, Red Dead will pale. Metro already pales when you take animations into account. And Crysis is Crysis.

Let me rephrase it, almost anything will pale compared to today's games on ultra. Compare DMC 5 on ps4 with DMC 4 special edition on pc. Compare red dead to gta 5. PC have power but they share the play ground with consoles and games are built for consoles first, so PC gets to play console games at their best quality setting (if you have the money) but in the end these are console games. With new generations the minimum spec of consoles is raised and games make a huge jump.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. I recently replayed Crysis 3 and in my opiniont it doesn't look out of place between the average current gen AAA multiplat title.
Crysis is a game developed by a PC-centric dev so it's more longer-lasting with his high-end PC assets, plus, if they have made the exact same game today, they would be able to optimize it better.

Jan 20, 2019
I believe and hope most games will be 4k 60 frames. The consoles are more than twice as powerfull over the x. 4k 60 should be the new standard if Sony and Microsoft are pushing this.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
The CPU upgrade is massive and its potential for gaming is basically unexplored, even in high end PC games.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I believe and hope most games will be 4k 60 frames. The consoles are more than twice as powerfull over the x. 4k 60 should be the new standard if Sony and Microsoft are pushing this.

1440p upscaled to 4k with some DLSS-like solution, maybe, but I don't see them putting 2080 Ti performance in the next gen consoles by 2020. Maybe in the mid-gen refresh.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
I think what people should really look forward to are the new gameplay opportunities that will come from the CPU boost; more complex simulations, more procedural generation, more NPCs, bigger swarms of enemies etc. The console market is holding back PC gaming in this regard.