• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The enemy of my enemy! Jesus Microsoft really do have this deep hatred feeling towards Sony.

They got into the console business in the first place because of Sony, they talk more about Sony than Sony do. I can just imagine those MS executives sticking pins in a Sony Doll.

This guy is a embarasing with tweets like these, I can imagine him congratulating Nintendo when ever they beat Sony on any future NPD because they as sure as hell can't seam to do it often. He should be more concerned that the Xbox is failing miserably world wide compared to the competition and even in their home market it's not doing great especially after releasing a new console that hardly moved the needle after so much hype. Man, what a company.. I'm sure more people would worm to Microsoft if either they hired more humble respectful people or got theses clowns to shut up.

Actually speechless, lol.

Edit, sorry - didnt realise that user had been banned. Well done mods.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kinda confusing especially after staying so silent all the time before that saying you don't care about selling hardware.
staying silent? They talk about every great month and we have a thread go to the dumpster each time, before this it was the Xbox One X selling out. They obviously care about selling hardware saying they don't is just ridiculous, just because they share and push monthly users mean they dont care about selling hardware? lol

Nov 27, 2017
"Outselling the rival"

Sony could simply post a tweet saying " We outsold the competition by a lot WORLDWIDE and not in just one area"
Being so happy about 1 NPD achieving 2nd place in your by far best market is kinda confusing especially after staying so silent all the time before that saying you don't care about selling hardware.

Jesus christ he was asked a question about who won NPD.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True.

It's always a handheld as well.
cant be a handheld if its always a console
source.gif

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
"Outselling the rival"

Sony could simply post a tweet saying " We outsold the competition by a lot WORLDWIDE and not in just one area"
Being so happy about 1 NPD achieving 2nd place in your by far best market is kinda confusing especially after staying so silent all the time before that saying you don't care about selling hardware.

How?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's important, it means they count Xbox x as a gen 8 console and whatever comes out next will be gen 9. But this contradicts the generation less narrative they are pushing.

It doesn't really contradict anything. I think you're reading way too much into this.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to stay on topic. I'm curious on the overall numbers and how close all three were. I'm wondering when/if Sony will go down for $199. They wanting another revision before or go with the current slim config? At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft goes in first at $199. Nintendo currently doesn't need a price drop. Maybe next fall $50 if sales tamper a bit

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Since it's early and I have no coffee, the numbers correlate with the colored names in that respective order? Closer to 1.0 the better?
It's a ratio compared to Switch. If the number is higher than 1, then that system sold more than Switch, and below one means it sold less than Switch. The difference between the systems is the factor shown for the other system: for example, PS4 sold 2.88 times as many units of software in fiscal year 2018 as Switch, hence the number 2.88 under PS4 in that category.

Nov 15, 2017
PR speak always makes me laugh. Got to find the way that makes us look good even when we are second overall. I do agree that switch is gen 9 vs xbo being gen 8 but when you need to add clarifications like that, why don't you just say we were the best selling console with an X in the name. You can cherry pick your way to the result and Xbox is really good at that. Still did give the overall info being asked if switch > Xbox > PS4.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
No one at Microsoft ever considered the One X as a new generation. This was always only pushed by a few hopeful era users and constantly denied. Blaming Microsoft for something they never promised is Crazy.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
Since it's early and I have no coffee, the numbers correlate with the colored names in that respective order? Closer to 1.0 the better?

The numbers are listed in the same order as name of the consoles.

the higher the better, I just used Switch as the baseline of 1.00, so if Xbox One is 0.91 that means it's sold 91% of the volume of the Switch

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
PR speak always makes me laugh. Got to find the way that makes us look good even when we are second overall. I do agree that switch is gen 9 vs xbo being gen 8 but when you need to add clarifications like that, why don't you just say we were the best selling console with an X in the name. You can cherry pick your way to the result and Xbox is really good at that. Still did give the overall info being asked if switch > Xbox > PS4.

He's speaking to a fanbase. That fanbase likely doesn't care about the Switch one way or the other--hell, most probably own one. They care about Sony.

It's not "cherrypicking," IMO, it's simply catering to those within your base.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One thing I want to say is this.

Earlier this generation i thought that value added bundles would become really important and drive a lot of sales early on. This did indeed happen and my thinking was that this meant that consoles like PS4 and XB1 would build up a large audience earlier on and that lower pricing wouldn't be as important later in the gen.

I was wrong about that. $199 and $189 deals for the PS4 and XB1 did really well over the holiday period and it shows that <$200 is still a mass market price point. I think we'll see some good sales numbers in 2018 when prices are sub $200 again.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why don't you just say we were the best selling console with an X in the name
Because that limits it to one console while describing it by generation give you 3 possible choices.

In other words one gives no valuable information and the other tells you what is the best selling system in the generation. Its not hard to see why you would go by generation...

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The Big BF sale in November likely shifted some December demand for PS4. Ranking data is nice but will wait for estimates as it could be top 3 are fairly close

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
"Outselling the rival"

Er

Why would Aaron Greenberg, head of Xbox marketing, not use his social media platform to make a statement on the market data he just received from NPD Group?

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
This has to be the first time they in their own tweets credit someone who did better than themselves? Great month for Xbox One, apparently, which is good news.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The enemy of my enemy! Jesus Microsoft really do have this deep hatred feeling towards Sony.

They got into the console business in the first place because of Sony, they talk more about Sony than Sony do. I can just imagine those MS executives sticking pins in a Sony Doll.

This guy is a embarasing with tweets like these, I can imagine him congratulating Nintendo when ever they beat Sony on any future NPD because they as sure as hell can't seam to do it often. He should be more concerned that the Xbox is failing miserably world wide compared to the competition and even in their home market it's not doing great especially after releasing a new console that hardly moved the needle after so much hype. Man, what a company.. I'm sure more people would worm to Microsoft if either they hired more humble respectful people or got theses clowns to shut up.

ERA's first iconic post?

Stay mad.

danGlokta

Nov 1, 2017
But this is how things work everywhere. You won't see a company boasting "not winning". They'll mention they've beaten a certain rival, they'll mention they sold better than 12 months ago, they'll mention it's their best month since 2015 or whatever. What PR is it when you go "oh btw NINTENDO SWITCH won the month and we lost to it lol". Knowing this, it was actually pretty straight-forward: Xbox outsold PlayStation, Switch outsold both.

This is pretty straightforward, but not the one before. Many people were trying to desipher what it meant.

That's not what the first tweet is saying; it's saying that the Xbox had its personal best share, not the best share of all the consoles for sale that month.

??? That's exactly what share means. If you have a pie and you split it, the part you get is your share. Going by the shares they've had in the past the only way they had their best share is if they ignore Switch sales, which is a way of spinning.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Damn having 2 out of Giant Bombs top 5 game of the years has really helped Xbox.

PUBG is a damn MONSTER

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Now, could you please announce some damn show like you did in the past with X01, X02 and so on. And announce some f-word-ing games?

PUBG has 3 million players in 19 days (until year end 2017) and Sea of Thieves is out in ~2 months. State of Decay will be coming soon thereafter and all indications point towards Forza Horizon 4 in the fall.

They've got some momentum.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I want to say is this.

Earlier this generation i thought that value added bundles would become really important and drive a lot of sales early on. This did indeed happen and my thinking was that this meant that consoles like PS4 and XB1 would build up a large audience earlier on and that lower pricing wouldn't be as important later in the gen.

I was wrong about that. $199 and $189 deals for the PS4 and XB1 did really well over the holiday period and it shows that <$200 is still a mass market price point. I think we'll see some good sales numbers in 2018 when prices are sub $200 again.

Wouldn't this mean the NSW sales curve will be shorter since it will hit 200 relatively quickly given its starting price?

NoStaminaNintendo strikes again.

I can share a few more numbers..

These are ratios between different platforms, using the Switch as the base ratio of 1.00

That NSW SW ratio is pathetic. I suppose it can't be helped given that NSW basically has no real software outside Ninty stuff for this year. I don't expect this situation to change much though.

That NSW:XBONE:PS4 Decmber ratio is alot more skewed than I thought. The sub 200 price thing really is a factor in mass market adoption.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do people really consider switch a direct competitor to Xbone and PS4? I feel like Switch is its own weird category just like the wii was

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$199 and less still has significant impact to the mass market.

Bodes very well for legs for Xbox / PlayStation over the next 2 years

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
I don't get this either. Why can't we be happy that all platforms are selling? Do people not want the industry to thrive? Do people not want competition? If all platforms are selling well, that benefits everyone.

Unfortunately console warriors have an especially sad form of brain damage..

But I agree, all three thriving is very good for this industry we love.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
the switch is in an odd place as i don't really think of it as a console. Its more like a 3ds in my opinion. As I look at it as a portable gaming device. So comparing it to a ps4 and xbox doesn't quite seem right.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
ah. Really good game, have yet to finish it.

WATCH OUT FOR DICE KING'S HANDS AT THE START OF THE FIGHT.

the switch is in an odd place as i don't really think of it as a console. Its more like a 3ds in my opinion. As I look at it as a portable gaming device. So comparing it to a ps4 and xbox doesn't quite seem right.

It functions as a console, and I guess I don't understand the harm in including it in sales comparisons. Even in terms of the software, publishers are putting out a lot of the same multi-platform titles.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Well it's being used as a console on my TV because I never take it out of the dock so you are wrong.