• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm exited as fuck, don't get me wrong, love to see a new alternative besides WWE, but this whole "Imagine watching WWE, who still watches this shit, OMG look at Raw, how awful" attitude at the moment in this forum which is flooding the monthly threads like a pest, while AEW, already, does one stupid thing after another, is pissing me off recently.

I'm not really criticizing them for that, they need to get into it for the first months, so it's ok, I still can't wait to see them weekly, but it's the other side of people who praises them to the moon already while hating WWE, which is everything but fair, so I just have fun with pointing things like that out, to keep it kinda equal. ;)

You have to understand where those reactions are coming from, though. Many people on this forum who are anti-WWE have been wrestling fans for years. In most cases, probably decades. The WWE has been objectively bad for many years, and people are fed up by the company's creative decisions being made by an out-of-touch boomer in the twilight years of his career, by their questionable business practices (healthcare and contractor status) and partnerships (Saudi deal). Many have had enough of it all, so I don't blame them one bit for shitting on the product. A two-month run of decent-to-good Raw episodes isn't magically going to erase over a decade and a half of mediocrity and poor decisions that have pushed many people away.

AEW is young and people are excited about the possibility of having a real alternative that treats pro wrestling the way many people remember pro wrestling being. Not in terms of stories or whatever, but at least in philosophy: sports-based, no weird pretending-the-camera-isn't-there-but-then-acting-like-it-is production, and a little dirt and grime around the edges of all of it.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
We will definitely need a new AEW thread come October. At least for that debut show. Or maybe a monthly AEW thread like there's a monthly general pro wrasslin' thread. Or is that too much? :)

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
AEW preview show on 10/1 on TNT:

Looks like AEW Dynamite may be the final name of the weekly show

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Not in terms of stories or whatever,
There's no getting away from this aspect. The tournament excluding Aljelico and Jack Evans is 100% that. It's just how they're presenting them as petty losers and how they act and perform from here that'll make it interesting. Like you say later in the post -- have to present it a certain way to come off like a competition.

That's an alright name. I wonder if they'll use that weird green screen from this weeks AEW on TNT control room segment.

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

original.gif

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I'm exited as fuck, don't get me wrong, love to see a new alternative besides WWE, but this whole "Imagine watching WWE, who still watches this shit, OMG look at Raw, how awful" attitude at the moment in this forum which is flooding the monthly threads like a pest, while AEW, already, does one stupid thing after another, is pissing me off recently.

I'm not really criticizing them for that, they need to get into it for the first months, so it's ok, I still can't wait to see them weekly, but it's the other side of people who praises them to the moon already while hating WWE, which is everything but fair, so I just have fun with pointing things like that out, to keep it kinda equal. ;)
There's maybe a few differences between AEW and WWE:
1. Volume. AEW does a few dumb things with their booking, production, etc. WWE does a mountainload of dumb shit across everything they do.
2. Course correcting. AEW have shown they're willing to learn from their mistakes and produce a better product as a result. WWE usually doesn't even realise they've made a mistake and often celebrates them.
3. Wrestling. AEW has a somewhat limited roster but they've made the most of it, have had a bunch of great matches and have started creating new stars. WWE has the most talented roster they've ever had, yet they somehow manage to produce mostly mediocre wrestling and can't make a star to save their life ratings. WWE is a wrestling promotion that turns great wrestlers into nobodies.
4. History. AEW is less than a year old and run by a bunch of people who are new to running a wrestling promotion, so there's a lot of optimism that they'll eventually get things right. WWE has been run by Vince for almost 40 years, nothing is going to change so long as he's in charge and there's nothing to be optimistic about.

In other words, WWE is a dogshit company, doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt and absolutely deserves all the shit people give it. AEW is a new company run by some smart people and people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But you seem to be too much of a fanboy to realise all this.

Cool, I don't know why it took them so long to finalise it. They didn't need the "Tuesday/Wednesday Night" part of the name, especially if they're taking into consideration foreign markets where it won't be aired until the next day.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
People are tired of eating average hamburgers from a big chain restaurant for twenty years straight. That's basically what it comes down to. The WWE restaurant needs renovations and a complete makeover to get with the times. Their menu needs new options, their staff needs retraining, and the restaurant needs new decor.

They've made moves that show they're capable of producing interesting television in 2019, but then you get stuff like...

-Maria and Mike doing a literal cuckoldry storyline
-Kevin Owens being booked like a coward after having the potential to be a Stone Cold-like character
-Brock Lesnar maybe winning another championship against Kofi after doing nothing to earn it
-whatever the Daniel Bryan/Rowan/Murphy/Roman/Harper thing was supposed to be
-booking their tag division like a bunch of losers who can't beat one singles wrestler
-making Braun feel like any other big man after having multiple chances to pull the trigger when the audience was clearly ready for him,
-booking Randy Orton in championship matches (the non-match stuff has been fine at least)
-whatever booking and presentation they're doing with Ricochet
-using Samoa Joe like a Lego block they can click in any time they need somebody to cut a believable promo only to lose on a pay-per-view
-"The guy" Seth Rollins has had one memorable match this year, and we're in September
-Cesaro/Rey putting on a boring match on Raw
-The same old squeaky clean presentation. The shows LOOK boring

Right now, they've got some promising things going on:

-The Fiend / Firefly Funhouse segments
-Cedric Alexander
-Chad Gable
-Buddy Murphy
-King Corbin (his KotR run was legit really good and he sounds much more comfortable on the mic now...the key is the follow-up)

I'm not confident the middle three won't be forgotten and back to being nobodies in a month. Pretty sure Buddy Murphy is already there after his back-to-back bangers against Roman and Bryan.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
People are tired of eating average hamburgers from a big chain restaurant for twenty years straight. That's basically what it comes down to. The WWE restaurant needs renovations and a complete makeover to get with the times. Their menu needs new options, their staff needs retraining, and the restaurant needs new decor.

They've made moves that show they're capable of producing interesting television in 2019, but then you get stuff like...

-Maria and Mike doing a literal cuckoldry storyline
-Kevin Owens being booked like a coward after having the potential to be a Stone Cold-like character
-Brock Lesnar maybe winning another championship against Kofi after doing nothing to earn it
-whatever the Daniel Bryan/Rowan/Murphy/Roman/Harper thing was supposed to be
-booking their tag division like a bunch of losers who can't beat one singles wrestler
-making Braun feel like any other big man after having multiple chances to pull the trigger when the audience was clearly ready for him,
-booking Randy Orton in championship matches (the non-match stuff has been fine at least)
-whatever booking and presentation they're doing with Ricochet
-using Samoa Joe like a Lego block they can click in any time they need somebody to cut a believable promo only to lose on a pay-per-view
-"The guy" Seth Rollins has had one memorable match this year, and we're in September

Right now, they've got some promising things going on:

-The Fiend
-Cedric Alexander
-Chad Gable
-Buddy Murphy
-King Corbin (his KotR run was legit really good and he sounds much more comfortable on the mic now...the key is the follow-up)

I'm not confident the middle three won't be forgotten and back to being nobodies in a month. Pretty sure Buddy Murphy is already there after his back-to-back bangers against Roman and Bryan.
That NXT thingy isn't so bad. I kinda like that.

Edit:
Paying for live cable these days though ...I can't do it. I will have to miss out in this Wednesday Night War. No NXT, RAW or AEW.

Whether I decide to watch Smackdown over the air broadcast on Friday can't say. Maybe if I REALLY have nothing going on.

Last edited:

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
All said that's all fine and agreeable. Lets stop making this a pissing contest between corporations and only bring WWE up when it makes sense. IDK if booking you don't understand warrants that convo. That was mostly the conversation being had and even that was worth, as stated before, unpacking.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
That NXT thingy isn't so bad. I kinda like that.

Edit:
Paying for live cable these days though ...I can't do it. I will have to miss out in this Wednesday Night War. No NXT, RAW or AEW.

Whether I decide to watch Smackdown over the air broadcast on Friday can't say. Maybe if I REALLY have nothing going on.

Yeah, I really wish I could add to the viewership numbers for AEW, but I also won't be going back to cable. I hope they have a streaming solution (specifically in Canada). Otherwise, I will have to watch wrestling through more nefarious means while supporting the company with PPV buys.

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017
Angelico and Jack Evans being left out is leading to them being more disenfranchised and prone to outbursts. The fact that they're left out and the Dark Order aren't just fighting them for round one makes it seem like people have to actually earn their way into the tournament. I suppose you can hand wave off this and ask "Why do a fan vote for who makes it in?" I think that is a side effect of the weekly show not having started yet to build this stuff up traditionally. TBH them not being in the tournament isn't a huge loss. I doubt they'll be quiet about it.

Fully expect Angelico/Evans to interfere with a tournament match costing a team the victory (probably Jurassic Express), thus starting a program between them probably leading to a match at Full Gear. Keeps other teams in the spotlight without the title being a factor.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

it's almost like one is up and coming, has yet to have one single tv show and bound to make mistakes, while the other is the 60 year juggernaut with the most stacked roster in wrestling history and virtually unlimited budget yet can't book a fun show to save its life

it's not even close to a 1:1 comparison

trust me, PLENTY of people out there excuse dumb wwe behavior. to the tune of $2.5 billion dollars over the course of 5 years!

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Fully expect Angelico/Evans to interfere with a tournament match costing a team the victory (probably Jurassic Express), thus starting a program between them probably leading to a match at Full Gear. Keeps other teams in the spotlight without the title being a factor.

Angelico and Evans are so fun to watch. Glad they've gone a clear direction with them in terms of their face/heel alignment. Seems like AEW will be a mix of black, white, and shades of grey.

WWE seems to be going that route again too with how they ended Smackdown last night. Not sure if I was supposed to feel sympathy for Daniel Bryan or to cheer for Harper and Rowan. That's the kind of moral complexity that pro wrestling can provide when not lazily booked.

AEW coming onto the scene should be good for everybody in terms of pushing people to do their best and to get more creative.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The Fiend and King Corbin are the only two WWE programs I am interested in right now.
The Fiend is the only legitimately great program (that was actually planned) the WWE have had in a long time. Whoever is the brain trust behind that storyline deserves recognition. It is totally avoiding the typical WWE shitting up of everything and is actually getting better as it goes on.

I'm able to follow it through YouTube. I'm still not going to watch Raw.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
WWE seems to be going that route again too with how they ended Smackdown last night. Not sure if I was supposed to feel sympathy for Daniel Bryan or to cheer for Harper and Rowan. That's the kind of moral complexity that pro wrestling can provide when not lazily booked.

It was honestly shocking how they played Roman coming out too. I thought for sure they were just gonna have Roman come out and overcome the odds as he does and instead they played with that expectation and had him look like he was going to before getting beaten the shit out of. Rowan and Harper looked great, you aren't sure how to feel about Daniel Bryan, and you actually can empathize with Roman.

I love that kind of booking, and hope it's the direction both AEW and WWE take going forward. Nothing is more boring to me than things like Super Cena where they go out, do their shtick, and promptly kick everyone's ass in 5 minutes.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The Fiend is the only legitimately great program (that was actually planned) the WWE have had in a long time. Whoever is the brain trust behind that storyline deserves recognition. It is totally avoiding the typical WWE shitting up of everything and is actually getting better as it goes on.

I'm able to follow it through YouTube. I'm still not going to watch Raw.

giphy.gif

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
It was honestly shocking how they played Roman coming out too. I thought for sure they were just gonna have Roman come out and overcome the odds as he does and instead they played with that expectation and had him look like he was going to before getting beaten the shit out of. Rowan and Harper looked great, you aren't sure how to feel about Daniel Bryan, and you actually can empathize with Roman.

I love that kind of booking, and hope it's the direction both AEW and WWE take going forward. Nothing is more boring to me than things like Super Cena where they go out, do their shtick, and promptly kick everyone's ass in 5 minutes.

That and the Corbin segment were the only two things I watched from Smackdown last night, and I liked both. Weird times, Jan.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
To each their own, but to try to conflate AEW's booking with WWE's perpetually terrible booking just seems completely wrong. AEW has not been perfect but there's very clearly been a huge difference in the way they are presenting and booking their product. Talk to me in a few month if we are seeing mostly 50/50 booking, number one contenders routinely being decided by illogical means (eg somebody attacks the champion and thus gets a title shot), relevance of titles and gimmick matches being beaten into the ground, etc. IMO, WWE ruined mainstream wrestling in the US for a generation, and I have given them enough chances to know that they're never going to go back to putting on a product that is actually worth watching. It's AEW or bust, so it frustrates me when I see people so eager to pick apart every little thing they do, even when it makes perfect sense (eg the tag tournament booking).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Did I accidentally click on the wrong thread?

Yeah, sorry. I'll keep it to AEW talk moving forward, at least for the rest of the day.

What will Cody be wearing for the debut on TNT? Solid Snake gear? Master Chief cosplay? A Link costume? I vote for reusing his Alucard gear from Double or Nothing.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just make fun of the WWE stan and move on, no need to make this thread about WWE booking. Like this is suppose to be my safe heaven from WWE q:

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there are D&D community members upset that MJF tweeted mean things about Brandon Cutler bring a D&D fan lol

Now those people? 100% marks

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

"Both sides" centrist wrestling.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

these comments/replies are unreal

like they CAN'T accept that someone is shitting on a thing they like. much less a fucking pro wrestler. just non stop pictures of jacked people taking selfies and saying "BUT I LIKE DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS" or posting pics of celebrities saying "HE PLAYS AND HE'S MORE COOL THAN YOU"

kayfabe is so real

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I like that they're even taking what should essentially be a jobber squash match and giving it some backstory and build.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, their hip side restaurant is pretty cool. The hipsters eat there and keep it open regularly. Wonder how it'll do once they get it in front of more potential customers in the downtown core. :) I hear they're opening today.
Don't forget how they like to regularly take the good food off the menu at the hipster place and give it to the big chain to water down.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
They didn't even do anything. They let MJF be MJF and here we are!

Well, they did set this up with the MJF promo during the Road to TNT video last night. I think it's great that they're even going to that length for a match which, at least as far as I'd expect, is really going to be a throwaway meant to establish MJF on the TV debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.