Will Mercedes Monet debut on Dynamite(1/11)?

• Yes, she will debut and all the doubters will eat crow!

Votes: 82 50.6%
  • No she will not. They playing everyone like a fiddle!

Votes: 80 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
New AEW, new thread, new profile pic for me.

Same old pro wrestlers. Seriously, how hard is it to understand? The Elite didn't press charges. I'd say that's about as close to "working it out" as you can even hope for if you're Punk's friend/fan. And frankly, even that seemed more than generous.
New thread, new Red Belt champ, new profile pic (and loving yours right now, too!)

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Athena is maybe ditching those wings she used to come down with. Maybe a neat concept but practicality was not there and it looked cheap. And Marina looks better in the ring?

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Excellent choice! Hopefully we see Giulia and Jamie in the same ring together soon. Though more likely it'll be Kairi.
I'll take any of the above. Really hope TK and Rossy can figure their stuff out because I need to see Hayter mix it up with Utami, Syuri or Giulia this year. Honestly, between AEW's recent focus on Hayter, Stardom finishing out the year strong and the Mercedes intrigue, my joshi/women's wrestling cup runneth over!

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
New OT seems like a good a time as any to say hi to you all. I've been lurking in the previous thread for a few months now; I'm in my mid-thirties and just started watching wrestling for the first time around May 2022 (Double or Nothing was my first ever PPV buy). I've watched a few different promotions' shows but as somebody with zero history with any of them AEW is what I keep coming back to.

Been great following the thread for the past half-year or so. Especially reading all the instances of doom and gloom and how the product isn't what it was a year or two ago when I've been really enjoying what I've been seeing without that frame of reference!

Welcome. Consider checking out NJPW's Wrestle Kingdom if you enjoy AEW's style. Lots of talented people in that company and some of them show up in AEW and vice versa. It's always cool to see new-ish wrestling fans.

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
Hello AEW-Era.

I made introduction into the last OT after attending the December 28 live show and taping in Broomfield, CO. I had a blast and am committed to going to every Colorado AEW show in the foreseeable future and will try to keep up as best as I can in between! This will be my first full OT cycle for any wrestling threads here on the site and I'm jazzed to dive in!
Welcome. I can help but think of Robin from the Lego Batman movie with that jazzed part at the end.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Hello AEW-Era.

I made introduction into the last OT after attending the December 28 live show and taping in Broomfield, CO. I had a blast and am committed to going to every Colorado AEW show in the foreseeable future and will try to keep up as best as I can in between! This will be my first full OT cycle for any wrestling threads here on the site and I'm jazzed to dive in!

Welcome, J! Was glad to hang with you and Mookie last week.

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
I see where Dax is coming from. For any other business it would be idiotic to bring a guy like Punk back but in wrestling it wouldn't just be Punk and AEW making money but everyone would. A Punk vs Elite feud could carry the company for months, through at least 2 PPV cycles. More tickets sold, more PPVs sold, bigger venues, higher ratings (better TV deal later this year), more traffic to shopaew.com (maybe someone will buy my shirt while buying the new Punk shirt). Everyone makes more money if this happens.

But Dax is being selfish because he really stands to benefit. Punk is going to need partners to take on the Elite and who better than his good friends and main Young Bucks rival FTR? Being involved in that feud would probably lead to FTR's highest earning year in their career. Dax has vague-Tweeted before about wanting to wind up his in ring career sooner than later and having his highest grossing year would set him up for that.

And, selfishly as a fan, I want to see it too. I don't know any of these guys. I just want to see amazing, compelling professional wrestling and Punk and the Elite can more than deliver that.

However the perfect storm of agreements, apologies, and amends have to happen first and, being a realist, I don't think that's happening. Plus even if the Elite and Punk come to an understanding, one could argue that Tony still shouldn't allow it to happen given how Punk made him look in that scrum. With Punk, Andrade, and Miro, Tony needs to stop coming off like a pushover. I agree 100% with that series of Tweets that said TK needs to be sure his new signings are committed to AEW and not just biding time waiting for the phone call from WWE. And AEW doesn't need Punk in order to put on compelling television.

I'll always have the memory of being in United Center for Punk's return. Just too bad it ended with him showing his ass.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I see where Dax is coming from. For any other business it would be idiotic to bring a guy like Punk back but in wrestling it wouldn't just be Punk and AEW making money but everyone would. A Punk vs Elite feud could carry the company for months, through at least 2 PPV cycles. More tickets sold, more PPVs sold, bigger venues, higher ratings (better TV deal later this year), more traffic to shopaew.com (maybe someone will buy my shirt while buying the new Punk shirt). Everyone makes more money if this happens.

But Dax is being selfish because he really stands to benefit. Punk is going to need partners to take on the Elite and who better than his good friends and main Young Bucks rival FTR? Being involved in that feud would probably lead to FTR's highest earning year in their career. Dax has vague-Tweeted before about wanting to wind up his in ring career sooner than later and having his highest grossing year would set him up for that.

And, selfishly as a fan, I want to see it too. I don't know any of these guys. I just want to see amazing, compelling professional wrestling and Punk and the Elite can more than deliver that.

However the perfect storm of agreements, apologies, and amends have to happen first and, being a realist, I don't think that's happening. Plus even if the Elite and Punk come to an understanding, one could argue that Tony still shouldn't allow it to happen given how Punk made him look in that scrum. With Punk, Andrade, and Miro, Tony needs to stop coming off like a pushover. I agree 100% with that series of Tweets that said TK needs to be sure his new signings are committed to AEW and not just biding time waiting for the phone call from WWE. And AEW doesn't need Punk in order to put on compelling television.

I'll always have the memory of being in United Center for Punk's return. Just too bad it ended with him showing his ass.
I'm on Team Carny Let's Do This but it's mostly on Punk to repair what he can. Guy thought Hangman was going to fight him for real in the ring based on nothing, thought the bucks were talking to media behind his back, thought the bucks and Kenny were going to start swinging at him when they came into his locker room he said was always open so he swung first. And his "camp" said the press scrum meltdown wasn't a big deal. He's a mess.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I'll take any of the above. Really hope TK and Rossy can figure their stuff out because I need to see Hayter mix it up with Utami, Syuri or Giulia this year. Honestly, between AEW's recent focus on Hayter, Stardom finishing out the year strong and the Mercedes intrigue, my joshi/women's wrestling cup runneth over!

Bushiroad don't seem to care about increasing Stardom's global reach yet (though I expect plans to be in place in the near future). The focus has been on building the biggest and best roster in Joshi wrestling. They didn't bother with English commentary for the last big show of the year. The video staff is still so small they don't have the time (and/or resources) to provide English subtitles for promos. None of the wrestlers have US work visas except maybe KAIRI. I wouldn't expect any crossover with AEW until at least 2024.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
We are on OT11 already? Wild, because these threads usually go way beyond 20,000 posts.

Probably because 99% of the post count is taken up by Owzers posts that apparently aren't even Owzers.

Heh

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
What is Kotas relationship with NJPW like ATM? Would be great to see him in Kenny's corner too in absence of the Bucks

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
What is Kotas relationship with NJPW like ATM? Would be great to see him in Kenny's corner too in absence of the Bucks

The latest news were that they're basically mutually sitting out his contract, which should expire at the end of this month.
Kota doesn't want to be there and NJPW doesn't want him there.

Things could of course change even quite quickly, but that's how it was described.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Welcome, J! Was glad to hang with you and Mookie last week.

Sorry Nihon -- got your post just before I headed to my night shift this evening and forgot to respond until now!

Thanks for the welcome and yeah, I really did have a great time at the show! Maybe Mookie and I will catch you at future ones, too!

I'm sorta on a streak of reviving a lot of my childhood interests as of the last few years, and I guess I'm not alone as that seems to be a trend with 30's-something-millenials, or at least that's what my social spheres indicate. Pro wrestling was kinda already on a comeback for me since Mookie's hosted quite a few event viewing parties at his place -- pretty much all NJPW -- over the last few years. This was my first big foray into AEW specifically but having already had something of a familiarity with NJPW, I obviously knew a lot of folks that founded AEW out of their departure from NJPW. Normally I just get my info from Mookie or casually pick up match results and highlights from YouTube or elsewhere on the web.

But that was my first live wrestling show ever and it's definitely pushed me into a more active interest.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It's Tuesday. You know what that means. ā¤ļøšŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆšŸ³ļøā€āš§ļø

Cookiedoh85

Oct 29, 2017
DDT Twitter said they were taking part in a tournament so maaaaybe not.

Sabian feels like such an anti climactic guy for OC to lose the belt to. He's done nothing of note since taking the box off his head.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
DDT Twitter said they were taking part in a tournament so maaaaybe not.

Sabian feels like such an anti climactic guy for OC to lose the belt to. He's done nothing of note since taking the box off his head.
To be honest, Miro feels like the one that should take the belt from OC and carry it for a good long while.

Cookiedoh85

Oct 29, 2017
To be honest, Miro feels like the one that should take the belt from OC and carry it for a good long while.
I dunno, IF the reports are accurate that he's become, let's say, "difficult" to work with and wouldn't lose to Hobbs or Starks then I'm not sure he should get rewarded with the title.

Takeshitas whole story with AEW has been that he keeps trying to 'win the big one' but falls short. Going up against OC who has been a successful champ feels right to me and Takeshita would truly be a travelling champion. That or Hobbs as he's earned a title shot with how good he was in second half of '22

As for the Punk stuff, Dax is an idiot, yeah AEW might make a shit ton of money but at what cost to the locker room? Sure seems like things have been more positive since he left from all reports and on screen indications.

Personally I've found the past few months of AEW since Punk left to have been its best in ages. They're finally focusing on younger, homegrown talent like Starks, HOOK, Jungle Boy, Hobbs. It FEELS like AEW and not the quasi-WWE feel AEW had during the Spring/Summer.

Admittedly Punk was out for part of that time too and the product wasn't great, but it feels like AEW is AEW again. So let's not mess with that by bringing back a guy who just seems like too much of a divider. Not enough Starbucks vouchers in the world.

Hillside

May 11, 2021
Can't wait to see the new set for Dynamite. Hoping for more great things in AEW this year.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Hello AEW-Era.

Welcome aboard! Always nice to have fresh voices in here.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Santana and Ortiz got their own shoes? It's too early for Santana to be healed up from his knee (I'm assuming it was an acl), but a man can hope that things are patched up between those guys. šŸ¤ž

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sabian is great, and seems to be connecting with the crowd.

I love how much of Penelope's style and look he integrates and I love how they both valet each other. I love that he's not afraid of looking less 'gendered'.

I want more Kip Sabian on my TV.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sabian is great, and seems to be connecting with the crowd.

I love how much of Penelope's style and look he integrates and I love how they both valet each other. I love that he's not afraid of looking less 'gendered'.

I want more Kip Sabian on my TV.
+1

I enjoy Sabian and I'm glad they are pushing him again after his return. I would be up for him taking the tile from OC as it's been a fun reign but it runs the risk of becoming samey if it continues so they shouldn't be afraid of mixing it up and changing champ.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That's some new cruelty putting Ryzin and Jay Lethal in the same match.

I like Tyra Russmee. She had a good thing going for her with her gimmick.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really hope aew gives abadon some dynamite or rampage matches,she undefeated.
I feel like abandon needs to update their character really. Basically allow them to speak and have a character instead of just being an undead zombie style being.

Fantastic look but the current character is very limiting. Their twitter shows a wide range of looks and styles that could easily be adapted into something workable.

Status
Not open for further replies.