• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Soulcalibur VI on PS4 Pro at 4K. The IQ and textures on the game are rather low, and res is likely 1080p, up close it doesn't look so hot.

2018102005593944s6dot.png

20181020052710367ncud.png

2018102005592926a6cy2.png

2018102005361781i6fc3.png

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
As with the other shots I've seen, these images of Soul Calibur VI are native 1080p.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what it is with these fighting games and PS4 Pro support. SF5 has none. Soul Calibur is only 1080p. Tekken 7 is 1080p.

Is it really that hard to render these games at 1440p?

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what it is with these fighting games and PS4 Pro support. SF5 has none. Soul Calibur is only 1080p. Tekken 7 is 1080p.

Is it really that hard to render these games at 1440p?
Dragonball fighterz is over 1600p on the Pro. Injustice 2 hits 1400p on Pro as well. Maybe the developers felt 1080p was fine enough for tekken 7 & SC6. Idk lol.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragonball fighterz is over 1600p on the Pro. Injustice 2 hits 1400p on Pro as well. Maybe the developers felt 1080p was fine enough for tekken 7 & SC6. Idk lol.
Thanks for the reminder on those others. Forgot about them.

I'm still bitter SF5 doesn't have ANY Pro support. I have so far refused to buy the game and it's partially because they refuse to support the Pro.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reminder on those others. Forgot about them.

I'm still bitter SF5 doesn't have ANY Pro support. I have so far refused to buy the game and it's partially because they refuse to support the Pro.
Yeah it does suck SFV is a PS4 exclusive it should've received a Pro patch. Such a great fighting game too. Best arcade mode of all time.

Those aren't the only PS4 exclusives that haven't received a Pro patch. Bloodborne, until dawn, the order, the 4 Yakuza games, Persona 5 etc. Hopefully the PS5 can just bump the resolution/framerate with brute force.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it does suck SFV is a PS4 exclusive it should've received a Pro patch. Such a great fighting game too. Best arcade mode of all time.

Those aren't the only PS4 exclusives that haven't received a Pro patch. Bloodborne, until dawn, the order, the 4 Yakuza games, Persona 5 etc. Hopefully the PS5 can just bump the resolution/framerate with brute force.
The thing that makes SF5 uniquely shitty is that early this year they released the Arcade Edition. They put a big update out for the game in stores, on a disc, went through an entire certification process 12+ months after the Pro came out and they still couldn't be bothered to do anything with an additional 2+ teraflops of GPU power.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I was trying to do the whole "taillights illuminating dust particles" thing in GT Sport on my base PS4 to no avail. So I guess it's a Pro feature.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Yakuza 2 and 6 have Pro support

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I've added some more games to the list. There are two things to note which are unusual. First is Soul Calibur VI, which has been officially listed as supporting PS4 Pro. However, as discussed above in the thread, all the Pro screenshots I've seen show it to be 1080p, and I haven't seen any shots at 900p which might indicate standard PS4 being lower resolution. In addition, I've seen no footage with obvious framerate discrepancies that might involve support. And I simply don't have direct comparison screens to see if graphics have been altered. In short, despite officially having support, I have no evidence of any benefit on Pro. Therefore, the game hasn't been added to the main list, but to the "Need more info for research" table in the OP. (Because there may well be differences I haven't detected, due to my error or simply lack of good material to examine.)

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's the game Agony. Before release, the developer of the game specifically said that it would have no Pro support. However, I was able to find a screenshot with resolution much higher than 1080p, which had PS4 button prompts in it. This could just represent official DS4 support in the PC version. But the resolution I counted for the shot was 1800p, which of course is possible on PC, but not extremely common. The chances that a relatively low-budget game would both support DS4 natively, and a wide range of resolutions including that one, seem to me equivocal at best. Therefore, I've added the game to the main list on the alternate theory that support may have been added after the original statement. If anybody can point to info one way or the other on this issue (e.g. does the PC version include PS button prompts?), I'd greatly appreciate it.

As always, feedback and input are very beneficial, so don't hesitate to post questions or comments. Thanks!

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Does the Yakuza 3 remaster have any additional Pro support ? I couldn't find anything on google.
Ah, forgot about that one. I don't know one way or the other, so it might be lacking support too.

One other small note, Digital Foundry have confirmed that Soul Calibur VI does have improvements on Pro. It's 1080p as I counted, but the standard version is lower, at 900p. In addition, they have direct screenshot comparisons which I couldn't find, and graphical settings are also slightly higher on Pro. I'll add SC VI to the main lists when next I update.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like base PS4 and Pro will be getting a high fps/low input lag mode for BFV and we'll get an official word on resolution.
Thanks for the info! I understand why they aren't, but I really wish developers in general were more open about the specific benefits their games get.

I've update the lists, including adding RDR 2. Since there's been a lot of discussion of how the game renders on Pro, I thought I'd go into much greater detail for this example, and share the aspects that I've observed. First, when outputting the game at 4K it does sometimes pixel count to 1920x2160, as widely reported. However, it was also publicized but not remarked as much that at other times it counts as full 3840x2160. In both cases, this can be seen without AA applied, or any sort of blending in place. This very strongly suggests that the game is using checkerboard rendering, not one of the other temporal techniques we've seen like injection or shaded AA samples (though more on that below).

We've seen previous games count as anamorphic like this, such as L.A. Noire and World of Final Fantasy. I could never locate full-res detail in the former game, though, so it may be solely anamorphic rendering. However, World of Final Fantasy did have material which suggested its stretched horizontal might be failed reconstruction. And then there's the case of Assassin's Creed Syndicate, which launched with a low-res anamorphic setup as well. A patch later altered it to a higher, non-reconstructed static res, which is intriguing evidence that such late alterations to rendering approach are possible.

It's important to note that, even when rendering geometry and textures at 3840x2160, Red Dead still has some individual elements that are anamorphic, with details twice as wide horizontally as vertically. This includes shadow dithering (part of the softening on distal portions of its contact-hardened effect), as well as in dithered alpha transparencies like in hair and fur. But by far the most notable is foliage sprites for grass and bushes, and tree leaves and needles. That particular quirk also has precedent, as it can be seen on some of the foliage in Witcher III on Pro. Since not all foliage appeared like this, it may have been due to optimized mipmap usage. In any case, it's more prevalent in Red Dead, and the amount of foliage often onscreen means that effective resolution is somewhat diminished, even when the CBR is producing full-res scenery.

CBR isn't the only reconstruction happening, though. There's an aggressive temporal anti-aliasing solution in place as well. Due to wind- and camera-induced movement from frame to frame, this second pass of reconstruction does help to clear up the foliage somewhat. But it's at the cost of making the whole screen quite a bit softer looking. Since this is a post-process effect it operates anywhere there's high contrast, which includes geometric detail that's supposed to be sharp. Some amount of blurriness is common in games with cinematic styles, as it eliminates shimmer and provides "real-looking" stability to the image, but Rockstar has set it quite high even considering that. The game is demonstrably soft on every platform, which is less conspicuous at the high resolution and effect settings of Xbox One X but becomes gradually more destructive of image quality moving down the scale. Base Xbox One is only slightly lower res than many AAA games, but notably blurrier.

Apparently in order to make up for that, the standard Xbox One and PS4 versions have an additional slider in the game options, for an overall Sharpness filter. This defaults to maximum, clawing back some perceptual IQ (though post-process sharpening actually distorts image detail, the high contrast it adds can feel better to viewers). If you manually turn this slider all the way down, so that you're seeing the inherent standard PS4 render, it appears notably soft for its size like Pro's 4K output does. Unfortunately, users don't have the option to go the other way when Pro is outputting 4K--harsh or not, I'm sure some would prefer to add the sharpening.

Pro owners can force the issue by manually setting their Pro to output 1080p and turning off system-wide supersampling. In this case, Red Dead doesn't natively downsample, but instead truly outputs 1080p, and the Sharpness filter becomes available. This can cause the image to appear crisper overall, despite the lowered resolution (though the effect is mainly notable on 1080p displays, rather than 4K). As a bonus, the few minor framedrops at higher res also disappear, leading to a rock-solid 30fps. This difference is minor, though.

So to summarize, there's no in-game switchable modes, but the game will act differently based on your OS settings. The choices are:

A. PS4 Pro output set to 4K, or 1080p output with system-wide supersampling on.
Higher resolution for many things onscreen, including textures up close and terrain/trees/characters in the middle and far distance of vistas. But noticeably soft IQ, especially for foliage and objects close to camera. Slight framerate drops in some demanding scenarios, though solid 30fps over 95% of the time.

B. PS4 Pro output set to 1080p with system-wide supersampling off.
Lower resolution overall, especially noticeable in middle and far distance. Sharpness filter allows for harder edges on objects, most visibly close to camera. Framerate essentially locked 30fps.

Unless an unwavering framerate is your number one concern, I'd suggest option A. If you're willing to turn the Sharpness up on your TV for just this game, and have to turn it down again after, you can even add some of the benefit of option B without losing much.

However, that's based on my preferences. What you should actually do is try out both options extensively, and choose whichever you honestly prefer.

As always, I appreciate your attention, and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or input on adding games. Thanks!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Thanks for the info! I understand why they aren't, but I really wish developers in general were more open about the specific benefits their games get.

I've update the lists, including adding RDR 2. Since there's been a lot of discussion of how the game renders on Pro, I thought I'd go into much greater detail for this example, and share the aspects that I've observed. First, when outputting the game at 4K it does sometimes pixel count to 1920x2160, as widely reported. However, it was also publicized but not remarked as much that at other times it counts as full 3840x2160. In both cases, this can be seen without AA applied, or any sort of blending in place. This very strongly suggests that the game is using checkerboard rendering, not one of the other temporal techniques we've seen like injection or shaded AA samples (though more on that below).

We've seen previous games count as anamorphic like this, such as L.A. Noire and World of Final Fantasy. I could never locate full-res detail in the former game, though, so it may be solely anamorphic rendering. However, World of Final Fantasy did have material which suggested its stretched horizontal might be failed reconstruction. And then there's the case of Assassin's Creed Syndicate, which launched with a low-res anamorphic setup as well. A patch later altered it to a higher, non-reconstructed static res, which is intriguing evidence that such late alterations to rendering approach are possible.

It's important to note that, even when rendering geometry and textures at 3840x2160, Red Dead still has some individual elements that are anamorphic, with details twice as wide horizontally as vertically. This includes shadow dithering (part of the softening on distal portions of its contact-hardened effect), as well as in dithered alpha transparencies like in hair and fur. But by far the most notable is foliage sprites for grass and bushes, and tree leaves and needles. That particular quirk also has precedent, as it can be seen on some of the foliage in Witcher III on Pro. Since not all foliage appeared like this, it may have been due to optimized mipmap usage. In any case, it's more prevalent in Red Dead, and the amount of foliage often onscreen means that effective resolution is somewhat diminished, even when the CBR is producing full-res scenery.

CBR isn't the only reconstruction happening, though. There's an aggressive temporal anti-aliasing solution in place as well. Due to wind- and camera-induced movement from frame to frame, this second pass of reconstruction does help to clear up the foliage somewhat. But it's at the cost of making the whole screen quite a bit softer looking. Since this is a post-process effect it operates anywhere there's high contrast, which includes geometric detail that's supposed to be sharp. Some amount of blurriness is common in games with cinematic styles, as it eliminates shimmer and provides "real-looking" stability to the image, but Rockstar has set it quite high even considering that. The game is demonstrably soft on every platform, which is less conspicuous at the high resolution and effect settings of Xbox One X but becomes gradually more destructive of image quality moving down the scale. Base Xbox One is only slightly lower res than many AAA games, but notably blurrier.

Apparently in order to make up for that, the standard Xbox One and PS4 versions have an additional slider in the game options, for an overall Sharpness filter. This defaults to maximum, clawing back some perceptual IQ (though post-process sharpening actually distorts image detail, the high contrast it adds can feel better to viewers). If you manually turn this slider all the way down, so that you're seeing the inherent standard PS4 render, it appears notably soft for its size like Pro's 4K output does. Unfortunately, users don't have the option to go the other way when Pro is outputting 4K--harsh or not, I'm sure some would prefer to add the sharpening.

Pro owners can force the issue by manually setting their Pro to output 1080p and turning off system-wide supersampling. In this case, Red Dead doesn't natively downsample, but instead truly outputs 1080p, and the Sharpness filter becomes available. This can cause the image to appear crisper overall, despite the lowered resolution (though the effect is mainly notable on 1080p displays, rather than 4K). As a bonus, the few minor framedrops at higher res also disappear, leading to a rock-solid 30fps. This difference is minor, though.

So to summarize, there's no in-game switchable modes, but the game will act differently based on your OS settings. The choices are:

Higher resolution for many things onscreen, including textures up close and terrain/trees/characters in the middle and far distance of vistas. But noticeably soft IQ, especially for foliage and objects close to camera. Slight framerate drops in some demanding scenarios, though solid 30fps over 95% of the time.

Lower resolution overall, especially noticeable in middle and far distance. Sharpness filter allows for harder edges on objects, most visibly close to camera. Framerate essentially locked 30fps.

Unless an unwavering framerate is your number one concern, I'd suggest option A. If you're willing to turn the Sharpness up on your TV for just this game, and have to turn it down again after, you can even add some of the benefit of option B without losing much.

However, that's based on my preferences. What you should actually do is try out both options extensively, and choose whichever you honestly prefer.

As always, I appreciate your attention, and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or input on adding games. Thanks!

Thanks for the in-depth look. Hopefully they patch out their cruddy reconstruction in favour of just 1440p, then try something better.

God, I hope temporal injection becomes standard eventually.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the in-depth look. Hopefully they patch out their cruddy reconstruction in favour of just 1440p, then try something better.

God, I hope temporal injection becomes standard eventually.
The CBR is not why the game looks soft. It's the (very) aggressive AA after that.

Temporal injection (and other reconstruction techniques besides checkerboard) is not a magic bullet. Games using TI also can be soft and inaccurate. CBR in fact has a higher ceiling than all the other methods in terms of potential accuracy. (Which is not to say that it's better on average.)

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The CBR is not why the game looks soft. It's the (very) aggressive AA after that.

Temporal injection (and other reconstruction techniques besides checkerboard) is not a magic bullet. Games using TI also can be soft and inaccurate. CBR in fact has a higher ceiling than all the other methods in terms of potential accuracy. (Which is not to say that it's better on average.)

Well, CBR is essentially indistinguishable from native when nothing is moving, right? So the higher ceiling doesn't shock me.

As for the AA, I wonder then if they'll patch in an option to turn it off? It would have downsides but some people may well like it.

I hear you on temporal injection - I just know that in practice it's been responsible for some of the most well-received picture quality on the Pro in general. I'm sure any technique could be screwed up in some way. I meant more that I would like to see Sony build the capabilities for a particular reconstruction technique into the PS5 that lets it work automatically with little effort needed from the developers, if possible, and I thought the one responsible for Rachet&Clank, SotC and Spider-Man would probably be the best choice. Unless they manage to include deep learning hardware for something like DLSS. Do you think this is at all likely?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Good indepth summary of the RDR 2 'issues' people are talking about in that DF thread.

I would say the best of both worlds is that R* could just add the sharpness slider in the 4K version, I wouldn't want to crank it all the way to 10, but 5~6 would slightly sharpen the image without making it extra harsh.

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Best way to play - no supersampling but improves performance quite a bit

pretty much locked 30 fps AND ps4pro fans stays SILENT!

I hope, they will not force us to 4k on futures patches, like Divinity 2 developers did. The game is georgeous on 1080p screen, console is totally silent, and I only experimented 1 drop on the theater (I think because bug and not because the lack of GPU performance).

I bought PS4 Pro for perfect 1080p games performance, not for stupid Downsampling when framerate is suffering.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Guys I'm sorry to ask what is probably a redundant question, but I am still confused...

I see that RDR2 does not support supersampling/downsampling but I can force it via the PS4 Pro OS.

I want to try and hook up the game to my 1080p monitor and use supersampling. So the question is would RDR2 look better on a 1080p monitor with system wide supersampling enabled, or would it look better without supersampling enabled and just run 1080p natively.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I'm sorry to ask what is probably a redundant question, but I am still confused...

I see that RDR2 does not support supersampling/downsampling but I can force it via the PS4 Pro OS.

I want to try and hook up the game to my 1080p monitor and use supersampling. So the question is would RDR2 look better on a 1080p monitor with system wide supersampling enabled, or would it look better without supersampling enabled and just run 1080p natively.

Better is subjective.

Super sampling = on will give you a slightly softer foreground image (alpha effects like grass will be softer), but you'll get much better anti aliasing on anything slightly ahead of the player and in the distance.
Super sampling = off will give you the appearance of slightly sharper grass, but keep in mind it's not actually adding any data. That's just an in-game sharpness slider turned up to the max.

*I* personally think it looks better with the super sampled image personally. I even did some comparisons in the other DF thread to show how the image quality is actually better with super sampling if you're interested:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/14356679/

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Better is subjective.

Super sampling = on will give you a slightly softer foreground image (alpha effects like grass will be softer), but you'll get much better anti aliasing on anything slightly ahead of the player and in the distance.
Super sampling = off will give you the appearance of slightly sharper grass, but keep in mind it's not actually adding any data. That's just an in-game sharpness slider turned up to the max.

*I* personally think it looks better with the super sampled image personally. I even did some comparisons in the other DF thread to show how the image quality is actually better with super sampling if you're interested:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/14356679/

This is exactly the information I was looking for, thank you so much!

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like for the most part I'm better off with SS turned on and console set to 1080. I am using a 1080 screen for my PS4 Pro. Any insights?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like for the most part I'm better off with SS turned on and console set to 1080. I am using a 1080 screen for my PS4 Pro. Any insights?
If a game already supersamples it will override the system wide option which is worse than devs natively having it implemented. You can leave it on generally, however rdr2 looks slightly more blurry with SSA enabled and it also runs at a locked 30fps without SSA at 1080p.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
If a game already supersamples it will override the system wide option
No! I'm pretty sure when you enable the system option every game is getting reported by the system it delivers to a 4K screen. All the downsampling then happens from the "final" 4K image, which can incorporate some upscaling or reconstruction, instead of giving the devs the option to downsample directly from the internal backbuffer.

I advice against having the system option turned on as a default, instead use it selectively. Which is why it's a PITA that Sony hid it so deep, instead of making it a per game option.

Oct 28, 2017
Would anyone be able to tell me how the frame rate holds up for Mass Effect Andromeda on the Pro? I know the list says 30 with drops but how bad are we talking?

The reason I ask is because I'm currently playing through that game on a One X and a 4K TV and the resolution is bugging me to no end. I've been thinking about selling it and my PS4 Slim to get a Pro and consolidate everything under one system but if the Pro version can't run this game right then I won't bother rebuying it.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone be able to tell me how the frame rate holds up for Mass Effect Andromeda on the Pro? I know the list says 30 with drops but how bad are we talking?

The reason I ask is because I'm currently playing through that game on a One X and a 4K TV and the resolution is bugging me to no end. I've been thinking about selling it and my PS4 Slim to get a Pro and consolidate everything under one system but if the Pro version can't run this game right then I won't bother rebuying it.

It's fine, nothing egregious. It looks really nice, too.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Performance are the same of base ps4 but it's 1800cbr. It runs between 25-30fps. On the X I guess it's steady 30fps but res it's terrible there (no enhancements).

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
It's a crime that exclusive titles such as Bloodborne, Uncharted: NDC, Until Dawn, The Order: 1886, Driveclub and Journey didn't get Pro support added.

One thing that really irks me about Sony is the support for their own titles in terms of Pro support, especially because the narrative led us to believe that it is something easy to implement and one person could accomplish it on their own, without taking meaningful resources away from a team.

That said, great work with all of the information you've compiled Liabe Brave.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No! I'm pretty sure when you enable the system option every game is getting reported by the system it delivers to a 4K screen. All the downsampling then happens from the "final" 4K image, which can incorporate some upscaling or reconstruction, instead of giving the devs the option to downsample directly from the internal backbuffer.

I advice against having the system option turned on as a default, instead use it selectively. Which is why it's a PITA that Sony hid it so deep, instead of making it a per game option.
Uh I've turned on as default. Never noticed problem in the hardware. It just downscale the game just in case developers forget to support 1080p screen. What exactly should happen to others games which support automatically downsampling? Out of my curiosity.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly should happen to others games which support automatically downsampling? Out of my curiosity.
Several games have specific benefits for 1080p users. Check the patch notes from The Witness for example. Jonathan Blow claims this produces better image quality than downsampling from the 4K mode.

If a game offers supersampling anyway, the difference is either nonexistent or probably neglectable. But you will get locked out of specific adjustments in most games that have any.

Leaving it on is fine if you don't care about the above. But it was asked what the optimal setting is, and there I figure the vast majority of games are fine either way, a select few benefit from it and a bit more than that would benefit from turning it off, thus my advice.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Hello, how are you?

I am thinking of picking up the digital deluxe edition of Prey that is for sale.
But I don't seem to be able to find the actual resolution it runs on the pro.
Most of the sites I find say that it runs at 1080p on the pro. Such as DF.
But then some reports say 1440p.
What is the actual resolution of Prey on the ps4 pro?

Thank you

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, how are you?

I am thinking of picking up the digital deluxe edition of Prey that is for sale.
But I don't seem to be able to find the actual resolution it runs on the pro.
Most of the sites I find say that it runs at 1080p on the pro. Such as DF.
But then some reports say 1440p.
What is the actual resolution of Prey on the ps4 pro?

Thank you

DF coverage is from when the game initially came out. 1440p support was added with a later patch from what I understand, but I also can't find any official source confirming Prey's 1440p resolution.

Liabe Brave did a pixel count based on the latest Prey patch (1.06) and counted them as 1440p.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/all-games-with-ps4-pro-enhancements.3101/page-33#post-9505636

However, on Bethesda's official forums in the patch notes, they didn't mention anything like this (Resolution boost etc).

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/212116/update-1-06-featuring-new-game-more-now-available

Last edited: