• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda BOTW was obviously delayed for strategic reasons to launch with Switch. Rumours pointed Mario Odyssey was done a while back and even ready for Switch launch. Mario Vs Rabbids apparently was a Wii U title and moved to Switch. These are just examples we hear about. Also alot of Nintendo games are polished on release, so it would surprise me if these games are done and put on hold for a good time to release. Hell Retro game could be ready last year and they decide to hold off for this year. Or even it's ready for this year but they saving it for 2019. Who knows how Nintendo's pipeline is.

Yeah, going to need some sources for those.

BotW most likely is true, but really sceptic about the others.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There is zero chance that this game would be finished and not revealed yet.
Why? E3 would have been their only real opportunity, but Odyssey was a big focus of that Direct.

I think I'd personally have been less excited about the idea of a 3D Donkey Kong game when Odyssey was already on the horizon. But if it's revealed in the January direct? That has much more impact, no?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, going to need some sources for those.

BotW most likely is true, but really sceptic about the others.
BOTW couldn't launch sooner since it was announced for a simultaneous Switch launch. I imagine the Wii U version would've been ready for November 2016 pretty easily.
Nintendo themselves said Mario was basically finished at the reveal. Mario is a big title, good enough to push back to ensure a good holiday season.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda BOTW was obviously delayed for strategic reasons to launch with Switch. Rumours pointed Mario Odyssey was done a while back and even ready for Switch launch. Mario Vs Rabbids apparently was a Wii U title and moved to Switch. These are just examples we hear about. Also alot of Nintendo games are polished on release, so it would surprise me if these games are done and put on hold for a good time to release. Hell Retro game could be ready last year and they decide to hold off for this year. Or even it's ready for this year but they saving it for 2019. Who knows how Nintendo's pipeline is.

Mario and rabbids was a 3ds game before it was rebooted. Also, these games where never 'Done'. They may not have been in full production crunch mode right up until they went gold, but at no point where zelda or Odyssey not being worked on until release

Oct 26, 2017
Why? E3 would have been their only real opportunity, but Odyssey was a big focus of that Direct.

I think I'd personally have been slightly less excited about the idea of a 3D Donkey Kong game when Odyssey was already on the horizon. But if it's revealed in the January direct? That has much more impact, no?

They revealed Tropical Freeze at the same event as 3D World just a few years ago.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Is it bad that I want Nintendo to announce the revival of a dead third party franchise that never previously appeared on their systems just to see the meltdowns. I'm talking about a Bayonetta 2 level announcement. Now that would be an entertaining direct. But I wonder what franchise they could possibly do. Devil May Cry? Too similar to Bayonetta. I know. Vaniquished 2.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is it bad that I want Nintendo to announce the revival of a dead third party franchise that never previously appeared on their systems just to see the meltdowns. I'm talking about a Bayonetta 2 level announcement. Now that would be an entertaining direct. But I wonder what franchise they could possibly do. Devil May Cry? Too similar to Bayonetta. I know. Vaniquished 2.
We already have heavy rumors of DMCV being a thing (possibly with Sony's help).

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if they would be in the know (probably not), but the current issue of Nintendo Force has "Pikmin 4" listed in the titles to be discussed in their next issue.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Not sure if they would be in the know (probably not), but the current issue of Nintendo Force has "Pikmin 4" listed in the titles to be discussed in their next issue.

Really? Many of those people work in the gaming industry so many of them would actually know of its existence. Well, technically we already do.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

I remember all the rumors about how Beyond Good & Evil 2 was gonna be Switch exclusive, good times.

Oct 30, 2017

If it means we get Suikoden then I am aboard this

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've considered that as well, but I don't think it would make much sense for Nintendo to have held back DKCR3 when they already have Kirby, Yoshi and possibly even 2D Mario releasing this year. Why wouldn't they have dropped it in 2017 as the lone 2D platformer?

Pretty much. Now, if Retro's game was some kind of huge, open world game, it would make sense to hold it so that it doesn't release alongside BOTW, Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2.

It's DK64-2, guys.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Retro continue to be an extremely talented studio but I'm convinced one of the reasons they dominate discussions as much as they do is because they're one of the few internal Nintendo teams that actually has a proper name.

Oct 26, 2017
Retro continue to be an extremely talented studio but I'm convinced one of the reasons they dominate discussions as much as they do is because they're one of the few internal Nintendo teams that actually has a proper name.

They have a proper name and an actually defined studio structure.

Nintendo EPD 3 could gain or lose a lot of staffers to other EPD divisions depending on the year whereas Retro's staffing levels only change after hirings and quits.

... But they're also 5/5 in great games.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
They have a proper name and an actually defined studio structure.

Nintendo EPD 3 could gain or lose a lot of staffers to other EPD divisions depending on the year whereas Retro's staffing levels only change after hirings and quits.

... But they're also 5/5 in great games.

Yeah there are a lot of factors. They're consistently great, they're the only significant Western studio Nintendo has, etc......I just think actual names makes speculation a lot easier for people.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

SPD 1 is a real name!

Maybe that's true, but I mean Monolith in the last 4 years put out 2 games and have assisted in another 2. Retro has zero credits.

That's just not normal for a studio that has gotten as much praise as Retro.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017

9bbmptB.png

A man can dream

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
there is never going to be another Bayonetta 2, unless as you said, DMC 5, but thats not gonna happen, Vanquish is actually a much lesser known game and Mikami was behind it, i was thinking something among the likes of Metal Gear Rising 2, Evil Within doesn't have the same critical reception.

A new From ip would be huge, but its not gonna be Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2

Oct 26, 2017
SPD 1 is a real name!

Maybe that's true, but I mean Monolith in the last 4 years put out 2 games and have assisted in another 2. Retro has zero credits.

That's just not normal for a studio that has gotten as much praise as Retro.

Actually Monolith's got a LOT to their name in those 4 years:

Own:

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Project X Zone 2

Assisted:

Splatoon
Splatoon 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
7th Dragon III (Interface work only)
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (was mainly by Monster Games)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

And that's no earlier than Dec 2013!

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Darkstalkers 4
Zone of the Enders 3
Shadow Hearts 4

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

This is the level of pettiness I can totally get behind!

I honestly can't think of many franchises that are recently dead but beloved like Bayo was. Maybe if they somehow brought back Turok or Dino Crisis as exclusives, I can see an uproar being made about it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's because the Prime Trilogy are some of my favorite games of all time. I'd say Prime 1 is my favorite, and 2 is in my top 5.

Aditionally, if I loved 2D platformers, DKCTF would be too. It's easily the best one I've played.

If anyone's gonna make a big new game to compete with western ones besides Nintendo EPD themselves, it'll be Retro. The Prime games STILL hold up this much later as a technical marvel.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Many of those people work in the gaming industry so many of them would actually know of its existence. Well, technically we already do.
I have the issue. It also lists Bayonetta 3 and Fire Emblem (Switch). Those were already formally announced, but it may indicate them being shown during the Direct.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
good....
I'd be content with a 30 minute direct of black screen and a 1 second image saying pikmin 4 switch.
Maybe through hollow knight release date in there to be extra nice....

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I have the issue. It also lists Bayonetta 3 and Fire Emblem (Switch). We already knew those were coming, but it may indicate them being shown during the Direct.

That is absolutely telling then. That's totally thread worthy. The Direct is 5 days away, wouldn't be surprised if journalists have gotten to play some of them already.

Someone should go ahead and make the thread.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is the level of pettiness I can totally get behind!

I honestly can't think of many franchises that are recently dead but beloved like Bayo was. Maybe if they somehow brought back Turok or Dino Crisis as exclusives, I can see an uproar being made about it.

Oh man, what if they repurpose Turok as a Monster Hunter replacement?

I'd love to see anything Turok honestly. Who owns that IP, Activision?

Edit: Wikipedia tells me Disney owns it?? Yeesh what don't they own these days

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, what if they repurpose Turok as a Monster Hunter replacement?

I'd love to see anything Turok honestly. Who owns that IP, Activision?

Edit: Wikipedia tells me Disney owns it?? Yeesh what don't they own these days
Disney Interactive Studios published Turok (2008), but I do not believe Disney owns the IP. The Turok comic book trademark is owned by Penguin Random House. Although Dynamite Entertainment published last year a new series called Turok:

turokyjqma.png

Also, Nightdive Studios published (and developed) remastered version of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil in 2015 and 2017 respectively. It could be that Nightdive Studios controls the IP in terms of game software while Penguin Random House controls literature.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pikmin is a weird series to get 4 games. I mean it's good, but I've never gotten the feeling that it's that popular or successful.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Disney Interactive Studios published Turok (2008), but I do not believe Disney owns the IP. The Turok comic book trademark is owned by Penguin Random House. Although Dynamite Entertainment published last year a new series called Turok:

turokyjqma.png

Also, Nightdive Studios published (and developed) remastered version of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil in 2015 and 2017 respectively. It could be that Nightdive Studios controls the IP in terms of game software while Penguin Random House controls literature.

Ah so it's one of those multimedia IPs where it's very unclear who owns which license. Well thanks for that research!

Turok could be a pretty good IP for a monster hunting game to be honest. Just look at his hood in that comic. Very much doubt it's happening though.

Oct 26, 2017
Pikmin is a weird series to get 4 games. I mean it's good, but I've never gotten the feeling that it's that popular or successful.

It's never been popular but Miyamoto likes it and they can probably justify making it by saying that it's never been on a popular platform before.

I would expect the next Pikmin to be semi-outsourced with Nintendo leadership like Samus Returns.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe:

1. Kirby Star Allies
2. Yoshi Cut Out World
3. Smash Port
4. Wave Rave New Thunder
5. F-Zero Gravity
6. Paper Mario 2000 year door
7. GTA 5
8. Dark Souls
9. Dragonball FighterZ
10. Fallout 4 or NV
11. Bioshock Collection
12. Donkey Kong Country 4 (with CGI Look)
13. Zelda Collection
14. SSX3 Remake
15. Burnout Paradise DX
16. Call of Duty MW
17. Animal Crossing Paradise
18. Daytona USA 3

Now that would be epic lol

Status
Not open for further replies.