• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I highly doubt it. As shown by this event, The Pokémon Company prefers to do mainline reveals on their own terms. Plus I doubt that TPCi would want to step on LGP/LGE's toes more than this announcement already did.
Very true, but because of the split between the casual Pokémon and the "hardcore" Pokémon games now, it wouldn't be inherently overshadowing it since it is intended for different audiences.

You're more than likely correct in their line of thinking though.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I'm honestly wondering what are people expecting from the 2019 mainline games besides a new region and new Pokémon.

Random Battles?
Traditional Catching?
Wild Battles ?
Traditional Stats?

I'm honestly thinking that Let's Go IS Gen 8, only in that the remake is coming first and the new region/Pkmn are coming second. GF always had 2 teams working in parallel, but those games were always same gen.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly wondering what are people expecting from the 2019 mainline games besides a new region and new Pokémon.

Random Battles?
Traditional Catching?
Wild Battles ?
Traditional Stats?

I'm honestly thinking that Let's Go IS Gen 8, only in that the remake is coming first and the new region/Pkmn are coming second. GF always had 2 teams working in parallel, but those games were always same gen.

if it's not a new region, new pokemon it's not a new gen.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
if it's not a new region, new pokemon it's not a new gen.
What if the 2019 are like Let's Go, but new region and new Pokémon? Will "Let's Go" automatically become Gen 8 or will it be stuck in a weird limbo just because it came first?

Either Pokémon 2019 will be a significantly different game from Let's Go, which despite the changes still keep many things in common, or it will be Gen 8, only coming later than Let's Go.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What are the chances they will take this opportunity to revolutionarize the series and make it open world/third person like Zelda and not just another isometric traditional JRPG?

I think that's the only thing that would make me buy a switch before the inevitable first console revision.

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
What if the 2019 are like Let's Go, but new region and new Pokémon? Will "Let's Go" automatically become Gen 8 or will it be stuck in a weird limbo just because it came first?

Either Pokémon 2019 will be a significantly different game from Let's Go, which despite the changes still keep many things in common, or it will be Gen 8, only coming later than Let's Go.
This whole what if thing is a bit moot because they literally straight up said that the games are going to be more traditional in the vein of X and Y/Sun and Moon. They won't be like Let's Go.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

it's that one regardless of what they do with it. Also they wouldn't announce the fact that a more traditional pokemon game was coming next year if they are trying to make Let's Go the new thing.

What are the chances they will take this opportunity to revolutionarize the series and make it open world/third person like Zelda and not just another isometric traditional JRPG?

I think that's the only thing that would make me buy a switch before the inevitable first console revision.

like 5%. I 100% expect them to continue on the linear JRPG route. At the most I can see something like Xenoblade. I'm just hoping for a goddamn movable camera.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Lucky you : P.
I have trouble to not make a use out of it for some reason (even though I do that in other games).
I still liked the first gens (before these exist) better. Or was it only the very first gen ha ha.

Natures still can reduce/improve stats quite a lot (10% is something) and when coupled with dozens of random battles to maybe meet ONE...
Then what if you kill it by mistake... and I don't like to have to change my team just to have one pokemon or attack that can reduce the HP without KOing.

I think I'm mostly welcoming the Pokemons appearing on the map first and foremost.
But if the coop is good, that can be a real strength.
You just gotta pretend it's not there. Unless you play competetively, which I never do, then it won't have much effect on the game. You may just have to gain another level to make up for it. For a good while, I thought natures was just flavour-text to give more individuality to each Pokémon.

Oct 27, 2017

...It's not. They literally stated they're more traditional and started development before Pokemon Go was even released. Y'all need to read what's been said and calm down with these crazy theories. They're not only completely unfounded, but illogical

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully zero, as the world has plenty of third person/open world games and very few isometric monster catching ones.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I thought this was supposed to come out this year.
Yes, it's Pokemon Let's Go.
The 2019 one is a newly announced title.

Everything else was wrong speculations from people because Let's go is a "main" title, not a spin off.
But the 2019 title will ALSO be a main title, while being closer to X/Y and Sun/Moon, so a more classic experience than Let's go is.

This is the "2018 or later" game they mentioned last year. LGE/LGP are something else that popped up since then
I don't think so. LGP/E are the Pokemon game that was announced. And the 2019 title a new one.
But it actually doesn't change anything whatsoever even if it was the opposite.

Both games were planned some time ago and they clearly didn't decide at the last moment to "create" or releaser" Let's go, just to have something in 2018. Let's go was planned as the 2018 title from the beginning.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Pretty much zero. Game Freak released their first 3D Pokemon game less than 5 years ago. They do not have the experience or expertise to make something on the scale of BOTW. Maybe in 10 years.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's Pokemon Let's Go.
The 2019 one is a newly announced title.

Everything else was wrong speculations from people because Let's go is a "main" title, not a spin off.
But the 2019 title will ALSO be a main title, while being closer to X/Y and Sun/Moon, so a more classic experience than Let's go is.

I don't think so. LGP/E are the Pokemon game that was announced. And the 2019 title a new one.
But it actually doesn't change anything whatsoever even if it was the opposite.

Both games were planned some time ago and they clearly didn't decide at the last moment to "create" or releaser" Let's go, just to have something in 2018. Let's go was planned as the 2018 title from the beginning.
Why are you saying these things? This goes completely against the "confirmation" tweet in the OP?

pkmnBreeder

Apr 6, 2018
Let's go games being gen one only means they only had to focus on 151 Pokémon following and animating in the over world. The 2019 game will give them more time to work on the rest of the Pokémon interacting in the over world if they keep the walking feature.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If you're strictly talking about overworld presentation and depth, yeah, they need to step it up big time.
The real question is are they going to do that (or more exactly, are they doing that)?
Or they are just doing something very similar visually to sun and moon just at 720p.

For the huge amount of money they earn they should have hired better programmers and 3d enviroment artists years ago.
They are not an indie studio with very little budget, they should not be rewarded if they go the cheap way (sadly they will, no matter how bad it could look).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that they make the main games more harcore now that Let's go exist for the casual crowd?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Let's go games being gen one only means they only had to focus on 151 Pokémon following and animating in the over world. The 2019 game will give them more time to work on the rest of the Pokémon interacting in the over world if they keep the walking feature.
Actually all the animations for walking and running have been ready for ALL the Pokémon since Sun and Moon, as they have been datamined

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances that they make the main games more harcore now that Let's go exist for the casual crowd?
Well these were made to be more accessible so presumably the other titles don't need to have the same concessions/adjustments

Those animations have been around for a while

7upguy

Oct 31, 2017
Where did Gamefreak find the time to develop Pokemon Quest, LGPE, and Gen 8 at the same time?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The fans aren't doing shit (well, the ones who aren't obsessed with gen 1 aren't). Pokemon games not being ambitious is 100% on Gamefreak not going the extra mile, don't put it on anyone else
Nah, millions of people rewarding them with millions of sales with each game sadly also helps them. Just as bethesda studios.

Both remind me so much in their ways its funny.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Not if the models aren't done yet. They could use old rigs for new models but that can lead to problems.

The models are literally exactly the same, look at the low-poly Mewtwo when shown from behind. They just did some texture cleanup and called it a day. Not even allowing you to transfer Gen. 2 and beyond from PoGo to LGP/E park is a complete shitshow when the models are done and they can use PoGo textures which are a little higher res than in 3DS.

Oct 30, 2017

Why should they do this

Pokémon fans will eat this shit up

Why invest money when you can invest less and get great sales. It makes business sense to not be ambitious as the cost of making games is cheaper.

Gamefreak now selling Pokémon Let's Go, which has less features than old Pokémon games like 150 only, grid based map, no big graphics jump. They are charging $20 more than traditional Pokémon games from 3DS which had more content and releasing a accessory with 1 button on it for $50. Also no access to online ranked and other online mode you have to pay $20 to Nintendo. But it will be a big seller. So with great sales, and less content, bad graphics there is no point making Pokémon a AAA budget games cause the fans will eat anything up.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Highly likely imo. People need to realize that this game has to be accepted in a way that its clear enough to Gamefreak that as its own sub series its perfectly acceptable, as long as the flagship titles go in the other direction. Pokemon splitting its consumer base and content experience between a casual and core branched path is 1000% the best solution and outcome.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'm honestly wondering what are people expecting from
the 2019 mainline games besides a new region and new Pokémon.

Random Battles?
Traditional Catching?
Wild Battles ?
Traditional Stats?

All of this, plus:

Breeding
IVs and EVs
Natures and Abilities
Whatever other mechanics get scrubbed from the Let's Go games but were in the 3DS games

You can't say the fanbase has nothing to do with this. In the Pokémon speculation thread, before knowing what LGP/LGE was, many were saying that uprezzed 3DS graphics and top down camera would be great for the new gen game. Any mention of a more ambitious mindset or grand scope for the games were met with metaphorical pokeballs being tossed at you.

I think the big issue with grander ideas about presentation is they'd necessitate a bunch of sweeping changes to the way the games are engineered that wouldn't be justified by the gameplay possibilities those changes enable.

For example, there's virtually no reason to have a presentation on par with Breath of the Wild unless you're also going to have the traversal of an action-adventure game, and there's basically a 0% chance of this since Pokemon is at its core a turn-based RPG.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
People being willing to settle for less doesn't mean Gamefreak listens to them. People settle for less because they expect less, and that's entirely on Gamefreak lowering expectations, removing features from entry to entry, and not doing everything they can/should be doing on the presentation side. Fans shouldn't take the fall for that
I suppose you have a point.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Random Battles?
Traditional Catching?
Wild Battles ?
Traditional Stats?

• No random battles
  • traditional catching
  • wild battles
  • traditional stats
  • breeding
  • customizable characters
  • controllable camera
  • non-grid environment design
  • followable pokemon
  • day/night cycle (hopefully not on the system clock)

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018

Random Battles?
Traditional Catching?
Wild Battles ?
Traditional Stats?

It's already confirmed it'll be in the style of X and Y and Sun and Moon so it should have everything those games have.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I only hope that reviewers go hard on Let's go lack of features so GF doesnt repeat it for the core Game.

Reducing roster to 1/5 of the Total of pokemon.
Removing wild battles and replacing them with a motion control minigame.
No ranked battles.
No breeding

If this was smash and did point 1 or 3 there would be a huge backlash and a big drop in the review scores, so I hope to see something similar so it gets fixed for the 2019 game.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It's already confirmed it'll be in the style of X and Y and Sun and Moon so it should have everything those games have.

That's the idea, until LGP/E sell really well and GF starts having old-men-in-suits-that-don't-even-play-videogames(tm) breathing down their necks to make more of the same.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only hope that reviewers go hard on Let's go lack of features so GF doesnt repeat it for the core Game.

Reducing roster to 1/5 of the Total of pokemon.
Removing wild battles and replacing them with a motion control minigame.
No ranked battles.
No breeding

If this was smash and did point 1 or 3 there would be a huge backlash and a big drop in the review scores, so I hope to see something similar so it gets fixed for the 2019 game.
expect this game to get scores in the 80s. despite how much people complain about the games (especially recent ones), they always review well

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
That's the idea, until LGP/E sell really well and GF starts having old-men-in-suits-that-don't-even-play-videogames(tm) breathing down their necks to make more of the same.
Some people will say you are just imagining stuff and this will never happen but i think is a very realistic scenario that could happen.