• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Hardwarewise, they do very very well in the US, they compete head to head with PS4 and Switch there as seen by NPD results,

but they must be failing sooo hard in many other territories (Japan, Germany, France?...) to be at 40 million this far into the generation.

that being said, they are well ahead of PS4 and Switch with their online game, so they will be rewarded for that.

bring on scarlett already

They are good in Uk and Mexico too.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not too bad after all!

I mean it is nowhere near the original goal of 200 million XB1 sold by the end of the lifecycle (but that goal was just stupid), and still less than 1/2 PS4 sales, but given some rough previous years it could have been even worse.

I wonder if they will hit 50 million before the X5.

It depends on when that is going to launch: if it is fall 2019 / early 2020 then no, it'd mean Xbox One selling 9 mln consoles in 2019 alone.

If X5 is fall 2020 then it wouldn't be an unrealistic goal.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
It Will be really hard to hit 50 million. With 41 million they only sold 6.5 million this year.

This end the bets on crazy numbers.

18 millions vs 6.5 millions just show how impossible is for Ms to win next gen. This will never happen worldwide

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder if they will hit 50 million before the X5.
That 41mil would include the launch of the Xbox One X and the sleeker Xbox One S. How many double-dips (like myself) does that include? And 50mil is still 9mil away.

...So I wouldn't think so. And that's okay.
For Microsoft, next-gen is a chance to reset the brand narrative.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Basically, Xbox is completely non existent to countries other than the US and the UK to a degree. Come next gen, the focus would be entirely on services.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So 41 million Xbox One family of consoles sold WW, since launch.

Hopefully with the Mavrick (diskless) and cost reduced X1S consoles, they can hit 50 million lifetime sales, even if that happens after Scarlett launches.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It would obviously depend on how big that ratio is, but I'm not too surprised by Xbox One doing well digitally. Digital services like Game Pass and EA Access, stuff like backwards compatibility where a digital version can be infinitely easier to buy than a boxed copy, and when comparing to PS4 in particular, I imagine the massive Sony hack -- as long ago as it was -- may still have some people still wary of having details digitally there.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have a huge market share in Mexico though. They dominate that market and it's a huge, rapidly growing one.
True but I don't think they are selling as many there as they are in the US a year. The US is by far their biggest market and they only are selling a few million here a year. That's why their worldwide numbers aren't moving up that fast.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I buy all-digital on my 1X - if anything I feel like most of these titles will be playable on the 2X.
It's nice to know that anything I buy digitally on the XB1 will travel with me to their next console, and probably to the one after that.
This, combined with their focus on BC, is why I'm moving so quickly towards digital only on Xbox. Well, that and having two young kids means I'm so far behind in my gaming, I might as well buy these games digitally two years after release for 75% off or more lol.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious why Xbox would be much larger digitally than other platforms. Disproportionately large US install base compared to global where retail might be more prevalent in many countries?

Would be interesting to understand approx digital sales vs other platforms by region

People tend to trust that their digital purchases are there for the long term on XBox Live. Games I bought in 2007-2008 are playable on my One X.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox One hardware sales right now are literally the best they can be. Terrible reception pre launch, actual launch screwup with $499 with Kinect in only 13 countries, taking almost a year to launch anywhere else and not expanding past 40 countries since 2014. It's a miracle XB1 will finish at 50M given all that.

it was difficult to reach those sales with Xbox One, hopefully with Scarlett it's a cakewalk in comparison.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Not bad and very good news about digital.
They will keep all those ~50m users in their ecosystem next gen but the main question is how much,if any,PS converts can they get when next gen starts...?
If PS5 has full BC with PS4,as we expect,it will be very,very hard.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly if you have an Xbox you should really try to buy everything digitally, if possible. Should pay off.

squilliedee

Jan 4, 2019
My entire Xbox game collection is digital (around 400 games without game pass games, a lot of games with gold and such). I have gotten so spoiled that I can't imagine ever buying a physical game again. The ease of use, game sharing, not looking for disk or damaging disk, all of that makes me love an all digital future. I do make sure I only buy games that I'm positive I will love though, like The Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, NBA 2k etc., and I use Gamefly for everything else.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Only 41M after five years - that is pretty bad, though a good turnaround from the completely terrible state they were in a few years ago. They really will get passed up next year, though nothing can be proven for certain. As far as digital, the one thing MS has always excelled at is online services. They also have really good sales on digital, so that isn't much of a surprise.

It will be interesting to see if the next XBox is digital only, like the XB1 was supposed to be

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Hardware around where it should be and confirmation that digital on Xbox One is great.

If only we got to see the splits.

Xbox One LTD will be ~50M. PS4 I predict to be +120M
I don't think they will reach 50 million with Xbox One. They can but it will not be easy. They sold 4.3 million in us in 2018 and only 2.2 million rest of the world. That puts us market as 65% of their sales.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That feels really low, specially since everyone now keeps saying the X is doing so great. Maybe in the US then.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Considering their digital store and pricing suck compared to Sony, this is rather surprising.

It's about the demographic of the market. A smaller user base will skew proportionately more 'hardcore', and these users probably tend toward digital more than more casual users. If you lopped the back half off the PS4 userbase (the less hardcore cohort) I imagine it wouldn't be much different in terms of digital:physical ratios.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
41 million consoles? That's Interesting. That means vgchartz was right on the money last month.

https://www./article/393979/xbox-one-sales-top-an-estimated-40-million-units-worldwide/

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Wow...That's really low. I think the Switch will overtake it next year if it sells like it did in 2018 again.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Expected MS has a higher DD ratio , smaller user base that more hardcore plus there services .
They will most likely end the gen around 50 million which not bad .

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It's about the demographic of the market. A smaller user base will skew proportionately more 'hardcore', and these users probably tend toward digital more than more casual users. If you lopped the back half off the PS4 userbase (the less hardcore cohort) I imagine it wouldn't be much different in terms of digital:physical ratios.

That doesn't sound right, or the switch would have better digital numbers since it's still the smallest user base? Also, zhuge wouldn't have found it so noteworthy.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
With how much focus they are putting into the digital ecosystem, they will have a strong dedicated base going into next gen

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've bought one full price digital game this gen, it was destiny II and i regretted it three weeks in. I'll buy stuff on sale, but AAA games at launch buying digital is a fools errand with how quickly they drop in price and the ability of getting rid of games I no longer play.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Curious why Xbox would be much larger digitally than other platforms. Disproportionately large US install base compared to global where retail might be more prevalent in many countries?

That's definitely one of the reasons. Here in Europe, retail games are significantly cheaper than digital games.

Status
Not open for further replies.