• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The original Tokyo Ghoul adaption is perfectly fine, you monsters! If you want to see a true abomination, by the very definition of the word, look no further than :re.
No, El-Melloi is done by someone else.
Not an expert on Fate, but as far as I know, there's both a main writer and a main artist of the series that have a say in things, but the spin-offs are, indeed, done by other writers and artists.
As for Emiya...I'm pretty sure I've heard the author has declared the different routes and spin-offs alternate realities in a multiverse(like superhero comics work) so, things somehow cross over at times(also, like superhero comics).
So even other writers/artists recycle the Saber design. The first thought that comes to mind is 'unoriginal', but I suppose there could be some deep, thought-provoking explanation waiting to be revealed. Multiverse shenanigans are always fun. Sometimes hard to sell. Which is probably why Disney went "no thanks" when they got their hands on Star Wars.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No, El-Melloi is done by someone else.
Not an expert on Fate, but as far as I know, there's both a main writer and a main artist of the series that have a say in things, but the spin-offs are, indeed, done by other writers and artists.
As for Emiya...I'm pretty sure I've heard the author has declared the different routes and spin-offs alternate realities in a multiverse(like superhero comics work) so, things somehow cross over at times(also, like superhero comics).
Until you get to stuff like Hollow/Ataraxia where stuff starts getting even messier somehow

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Idiot 3

even though she's an idiot, the ending to the last segment seemed a bit much

the mc's kind of a jerk too

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through Attack on Titan S2 and, dear lord, will these stupid plot twists ever get explained? This is why I try to avoid these shows because I hate getting trolled by cliffhangers and since S4 will air at the end of 2020...

If you're interested what I think so far: Great worldbuilding. Dumb, dumb characters. The writing is a lot of nonsense. Flashbacks within flashbacks that don't explain anything. One thing I hope they explain (except the key which they keep dangling in front of my eyes every so often) is who is the head honcho that is orchestrating this whole thing? Every person in power I've seen so far is a self-serving coward. The Military Police are a bunch of cowards (it's funny how trainees once they graduate get to choose a division which wouldn't fly in any real military.) It makes me wonder why they're so eager to send skilled soldiers to their deaths with these scouting missions. Like, those number of deaths are insane and probably not sustainable long term. Maybe they have the utmost trust in Erwin and his goals (which he doesn't explain by the way), but then at the end of S1, some random dude points a gun at him because he thinks he's turned traitor without any sort of evidence. Shows how much respect he has within the military ranks.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

I liked the actual show's ending more. At least that showed some restraint. This was all over the place and and left things far too ambiguous and nonsensical. Still excited to see the other films mind you, if only for the crazy visuals. 6/10

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
That's crazy since they kept advertising it for 190 countries.
That's some prime salt into my wounds ...

I'm halfway through Attack on Titan S2 and, dear lord, will these stupid plot twists ever get explained? This is why I try to avoid these shows because I hate getting trolled by cliffhangers and since S4 will air at the end of 2020...
Which ones are you talking about exactly ? You're kinda in luck cause the AoT season that just ended reveals a lot of the biggest mysteries of the series.

Aggretsuko S2

Hmmmmm, still good and and decent fun but some of comedic punch is, I fear, lost as a consequence of depriving Ton of spotlight he basked so nicely in S1. None of the other characters managed to pick up the slack. Last arc could use a bit more time too.

Last edited:

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017

If you're interested what I think so far: Great worldbuilding. Dumb, dumb characters. The writing is a lot of nonsense. Flashbacks within flashbacks that don't explain anything. One thing I hope they explain (except the key which they keep dangling in front of my eyes every so often) is who is the head honcho that is orchestrating this whole thing? Every person in power I've seen so far is a self-serving coward. The Military Police are a bunch of cowards (it's funny how trainees once they graduate get to choose a division which wouldn't fly in any real military.) It makes me wonder why they're so eager to send skilled soldiers to their deaths with these scouting missions. Like, those number of deaths are insane and probably not sustainable long term. Maybe they have the utmost trust in Erwin and his goals (which he doesn't explain by the way), but then at the end of S1, some random dude points a gun at him because he thinks he's turned traitor without any sort of evidence. Shows how much respect he has within the military ranks.
The three branches of their military don't get along and view eachother with suspicion. The MP sees the scouts as a threat - of course he was quick to question Erwin.

Also, the most skilled soldiers don't get sent to the front - they go to the MP. Might be why the scouts have such abysmal survival records.

And yeah the numbers are not sustainable.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
The Wasteful Lives of High School Girls episode 1

Wow, Baka couldn't be anymore annoying. "I want a man! I want a man! I want a man!" Otherwise, it's pretty good (because of the other characters anyway).

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Sword MILF Online 1

Oh wow, the cringe is strong in this one.

I wonder if this ends up being popular enough will it mark the first salvo in a future deluge of mommy fucking self-insert fantasies? Will it endanger the current, unchallenged reign of its sister fucking counterpart? Could that be considered progress if so?

The mom is pretty damn cute, though.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sword MILF Online 1

I wonder if this ends up being popular enough will it mark the first salvo in a future deluge of mommy fucking self-insert fantasies? Will it endanger the current, unchallenged reign of its sister fucking counterpart? Could that be considered progress if so?

Better than lonely fathers lusting after the daughters they raised... I think? Stories of an older teenager going on an adventure with their mothers and falling in love with them, and then learning that they're not related by blood in a surprise twist so it's "okay."

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Sword MILF Online 1

Better than lonely fathers lusting after the daughters they raised... I think? Stories of an older teenager going on an adventure with their mothers and falling in love with them, and then learning that they're not related by blood in a surprise twist so it's "okay."
... whaaa?

Is that Sword Art Online sequel exploring new depths of creepiness or is that a nickname for yet another MMO Isekai crapshow?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
... whaaa?

Is that Sword Art Online sequel exploring new depths of creepiness or is that a nickname for yet another MMO Isekai crapshow?
"Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?" Boring, but I'll give it this: so far, there doesn't seem to be creepy undertones between the protagonist and his mother. And I'm not sure there will be, since the harem focus seems to be on the mom wanting to get her son along with another girl.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?" Boring, but I'll give it this: so far, there doesn't seem to be creepy undertones between the protagonist and his mother. And I'm not sure there will be, since the harem focus seems to be on the mom wanting to get her son along with another girl.
From that description, I seriously don't have any faith that they'll keep it that way, especially if the mom is drawn to be attractive.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm halfway through Attack on Titan S2 and, dear lord, will these stupid plot twists ever get explained? This is why I try to avoid these shows because I hate getting trolled by cliffhangers and since S4 will air at the end of 2020

Things do get explained by the end of S3 in a way that makes sense I guess. Although some of the revelations are also super dumb to me, but logically they still make sense. By the end of S3, my thoughts were basically the opposite of yours: good characters, but dumb world building.

On the other hand, there is admittedly a lot of foreshadowing going on in the show that's pretty hard to spot or doesn't even make any sense until you know what's going on. For example, one of the more out there twists is foreshadowed in episode 1. So it's clearly not just entirely making it up as it goes along.

As for the rest, it's best to just think of the 3 military branches as completely separate organizations that all hate one another. Particularly the scouts and the military police. That's not really realistic in terms of how real life military works, but it's basically how it is in AoT.

And yeah, almost every person with authority in the show is a selfish asshole. It's basically one of the show's main themes.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There won't be and it will be hilarious further in. Has the biggest potential (like Konosuba a bit) to be the best Isekai this season (not that this would be difficult with that line up of shows this season).

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Which ones are you talking about exactly ? You're kinda in luck cause the AoT season that just ended reveals a lot of the biggest mysteries of the series.
Thanks for restoring my faith in the show somewhat haha.

- Eren confronts the Colossal Titan at the start of S1 but it straight up disappears.
- Annie's motivations. You see a flashback but it doesn't reveal much. She wants to take Eren alive and didn't kill Armin for some reason.
- Titans inside walls. They should just have tortured or killed the sob priest and find another one instead of dragging him along.
- Titans arrived without breaching the walls nor eating people in the villages. I have an idea why but that none of the characters even contemplated it is dumb.
- Christa and Ymir's motivations. There's a hint that Christa is special, not just that she's an illegitimate child.
- Reiner and Bertolt's motivations. They chose not to transform when they were in peril (Reiner even gets wounded) and in the end Ymir outs herself to protect them. They also want to take Eren alive.
- Reiner and Annie apparently know each other's secret, which means inside the walls there's likely an organization behind it.
- Why Eren can't transform sometimes. The show hints that you need to sacrifice your humanity to become a titan. Is it because he's too wishy-washy?

The three branches of their military don't get along and view eachother with suspicion. The MP sees the scouts as a threat - of course he was quick to question Erwin.

Also, the most skilled soldiers don't get sent to the front - they go to the MP. Might be why the scouts have such abysmal survival records.

And yeah the numbers are not sustainable.
As with any real warfare, skill goes hand in hand with experience. While the MP are top of the class, they don't have any hands-on experience. This is most apparent when the Garrison couldn't resupply the front lines at the beginning of S1, not because they couldn't but because they chickened out. Keeping the MP safe far from the outer walls is suicidal when shit hits the fan. As Napoleon once said: "The side which remains behind its fortified line is always defeated."

And yeah, almost every person with authority in the show is a selfish asshole. It's basically one of the show's main themes.
I wish the show showed more of the political side rather than Eren's constant indecisiveness.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who read Attack on Titan to the lastest chapter, I can tell you that even the "anime tropes" turned out different. I mean that in a positive way.

Keep watching and once S4 comes out and you guys see what is happening in the manga right now, you will love it. Even the things I shook my head at turned out to be great plot events after the fact.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for restoring my faith in the show somewhat haha.

- Eren confronts the Colossal Titan at the start of S1 but it straight up disappears.
- Annie's motivations. You see a flashback but it doesn't reveal much. She wants to take Eren alive and didn't kill Armin for some reason.
- Titans inside walls. They should just have tortured or killed the sob priest and find another one instead of dragging him along.
- Titans arrived without breaching the walls nor eating people in the villages. I have an idea why but that none of the characters even contemplated it is dumb.
- Christa and Ymir's motivations. There's a hint that Christa is special, not just that she's an illegitimate child.
- Reiner and Bertolt's motivations. They chose not to transform when they were in peril (Reiner even gets wounded) and in the end Ymir outs herself to protect them. They also want to take Eren alive.
- Reiner and Annie apparently know each other's secret, which means inside the walls there's likely an organization behind it.
- Why Eren can't transform sometimes. The show hints that you need to sacrifice your humanity to become a titan. Is it because he's too wishy-washy?

I'm not particularly big on the series but if memory serves me well, most of this is revealed progressively during the course of already animated bits even before the late giant reveal. Maybe not Annie stuff but with context you're able to piece things better. Your Point 1 feels like it should be clear given what you know already.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on Melloi. Type Moon just loves its Saber alts but at least Gray has an interesting backstory. Not sure I like the Sherlock Holmes thing going on and also feel like MC is too different from what he was in Zero. The silly use of English made me lol but classic type moon.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Fire Force is fun and a great interesting series, but does anyone know why the characters keep saying Látom in their prayers? It means I see in Hungarian, and is so out of left field for me since I'm Hungarian.

I want to like My Hero Academia but the concept of stretching out a training years of a hero is getting a bit draggy.

One Punch Man is still fun, but woof that animation took a nosedive with the change of staff.

Also Black Clover is hilarious with both characters being the same age but one of em is a small brat...eh i'll see where this goes

I think my favorite anime this season is Demon Slayer, perfect pacing great world building and the MC is not overpowered. Zenitsu is kinds eh but ok

Quick edit but does anybodY know whats up with One Piece rights in TheUK? Ther is no way for me to watch this anywhere....

Last edited:

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
Quick edit but does anybodY know whats up with One Piece rights in TheUK? Ther is no way for me to watch this anywhere....

The answer is that there is currently nowhere to watch it in the U.K. short of buying the DVD releases. It's a matter for Toei's European wing and Manga U.K. specifically, and the later of those have a history of not liking streaming due to believing that it devalues the things they've licensed for disk release, which is why a bunch of the stuff they've grabbed licenses to before they've aired never appear streaming anywhere.

This may all be subject to change now that Manga have been bought by FUNimation, though, but that depends if the primary block was Manga or Toei, as well as that rights have actually been licensed by who.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
The answer is that there is currently nowhere to watch it in the U.K. short of buying the DVD releases. It's a matter for Toei's European wing and Manga U.K. specifically, and the later of those have a history of not liking streaming due to believing that it devalues the things they've licensed for disk release, which is why a bunch of the stuff they've grabbed licenses to before they've aired never appear streaming anywhere.

This may all be subject to change now that Manga have been bought by FUNimation, though, but that depends if the primary block was Manga or Toei, as well as that rights have actually been licensed by who.
but..... the US gets one piece on crunchyroll .... :(

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Sword MILF Online 1

... whaaa?

Look what anime has fucking done to you guys, lmao...

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Symphogear GX:
So watching through this series has been a lot of fun and this season in particular had some great highs.

But are you fucking kidding me with this plot line involving Hibiki's dad? Searching for additional context to try and make it better only made it worse since it turns out he was also an abusive drunk. Like I can understand Hibiki having a somewhat salvaged relationship with him, but Hibiki helping him get back together with her mom is rage inducing.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Weekly Update (2):
Fruits Basket 15
I think people are going to start sweating now that Tohru is starting to realize Yuki and Kyo are interested in her. A-ya continues to not understand people and it looks like Hatori might find some happiness here soon. Maybe. I hope so.

Dr. Stone 2
Glad for Tsukasa's quick turn, tho some of the character models seemed off. Not necessarily worried about it as Dr. Stone isn't really a combat manga, but it's also not something I'd want to see so early into a production either.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Tejina Senpai 3

You really just have to look at it as the silly comedy it is because if you think about it too much its kinda sad.

A clumsly lonely girl with no friends trying to impress others with magic but she is terrible at it. Her assistent thinks she is an idiot and her sister makes fun of her

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Toradora END

Admittedly, I haven't really watched many rom-coms aside from Kaguya-sama earlier this year, so I guess you could consider me a novice to the genre. With that said though, I sorta came into the show on a whim and went through the series in the span of a little more than a week, and it grew on me a bit, especially as the show reached its second half. Up to then, it seemed like much of the show was just going through many of the same story beats like other high school anime. However, what really made the show was its main cast. their interactions, and how much they end up changing over the course of the series. I like how it paints all characters, including Ryuji, the MC, of having personality faults and how those may be a detriment when interacting with the rest of the cast, like what the Ryuji thinks is best for others at first is not always the case. As an aside, for a rom-com animated by JC Staff, who kinda has a history of varying levels of production quality, I was quite impressed by the incredibly expressive animation on display throughout. But overall, it was a show that had a great amount of legitimately emotional moments, and even though the pairing could be seen from a mile away, it surprisingly felt natural and was ultimately satisfying.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Honestly, give it a shot. It's not the same tone, but it does continue the story.

Feel free to drop it at any time since it REALLY does not have the same tone and "maturity" as Fate Zero.
When UBW goes hard, it goes HARD.

I'll freely admit it drags more than Zero, but the anime cuts out a ton of the dead weight from the VN, which was even worse. The major story beats are great, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.