• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Mob Psycho 100 II 01

Bold choice to start off with a little romance story but it worked really well.

Dave1988

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo Ep. 01

disgonnabgud.gif

Funnily enough, I remember playing a game based on this story years back.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Mob Psycho 100 2 Episode 1

What a fantastic first episode and really shows how great Mob is as a main character. The scene where he got all the ripped up paper was beautifully animated and pretty moving.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Mob Psycho 100 II - 1

Great first episode. It really hit the ground running, and in many ways feels like a second cour instead of a new series (and with the staff carrying over it might as well be). The seamless transition speaks to the confidence this episode excudes, not stopping to catch the viewer up on any of the established relationships. At the same time, it doesn't overload the episode with characters, keeping it tight with the school-plot. I especially love how it confidently it continues Mob's character arc in a low-key romance subplot without wasting any time on dealing with last seasons fallout. I don't have a lot to say about the animation really, just the usual top notch stuff. There was some wonky art in places, but that's nipicking. Speaking of animation, that OP is a fucking treat, holy shit. There are some crazy good action cuts in there, of course, but this transition really caught my eye. I need to hear the song more, but visually this OP definitely does more for me (right now, at least).

Also, I'd like to believe there's a diner somewhere in Japan that has Rafael's The School of Athens decorating its walls now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dororo - 1

That was fucking great. I'm a bit taken aback actually. As far as I'm concerned, that was a perfect premiere. It was well directed, with some really nice storyboarding. Especially the opening with Daigo in the temple had some very cool shots. Even moreso, it was well written giving the audience just enough information straight-up, and leaving us with more than enough to start putting the pieces together on our own. And the climactic action scene was very well animated and directed, with some really cool choreography and interesting cuts. I want to write more about this, but I think I have to watch this again. The OP is really good too, and seeing traditional backgrounds in anime always makes me happy.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Slime Isekai 14

hey maybe you want to kill him before he eats that super strong dude and becomes a oh well nevermind

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Soma is a bad series. It got worse later on but it was always bad and I was wrong at the start

I still maintain that Soma held a glimmer of promise, but as soon as they introduced Food Satan, the writing was on the wall. It was obvious how that arc would end as soon as it started. "Thank you father for psychotically abusing me, I know you meant well. The older generation is always right, as stated in the Japanese social contract." There's a fucking sentiment that will ring through the ages like a bell made of shit.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
It kinda reminds me of bakemonogatari but a little more grounded, realistic visual details and not aspect ones, and similar snappy dialogue.
I don't think it too far to say that Mai is similar to Hitagi in personality.

so who would win?
GrA50E8.jpg
Hitagi does not fuck around, one of the reasons why I like her so much.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain that Soma held a glimmer of promise, but as soon as they introduced Food Satan, the writing was on the wall. It was obvious how that arc would end as soon as it started. "Thank you father for psychotically abusing me, I know you meant well. The older generation is always right, as stated in the Japanese social contract." There's a fucking sentiment that will ring through the ages like a bell made of shit.
The funny thing is i'd Say the current manga arc is way dumber than the Azami stuff

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo 01

DwWYOKkWwAAK3Se.jpg

Wow I'm kinda blown away on this one. This was the best premiere of all the shows I've seen so far by a country mile. Awesome OP, amazingly well done fight scene near the end of the episode and it didn't feel the need to explain everything and just let the viewer kinda see what what going on and put stuff together storywise. This is my must see show of the season already.

Slime Isekei 14

Wasn't expecting Orc Lord to be anything but a strong but mindless killing machine, honestly glad it was actually deeper than that.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Printer Paper 8 X 11 Some of the shows in your OP that have unknown streaming services have been announced.

My Roommate is a Cat and Rinshi!! Ekoda have both been announced for Crunchyroll and both of them are also being dubbed by Funimation for the Winter 2019 SimulDub season.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo 01

was worried this was going to suck but damn did I love everything about this premier. hopefully they can keep this up for the whole series. super excited for the next episode.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Pastel Memories episode 1

What. The. Fuck. Did. I. Watch? And why is Tsubasa there?

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Pastel Memories 1

Pretty mediocre cute girls doing vaguely otaku things, but there's not any writing, energy, or interesting direction to make this worth a look. But if you look past the fact that it's about otaku stuff, I do think there's value in telling a story about a culture disappearing and the attempt to preserve it. No confidence they'll do this well though. Most importantly, 12 girls and none of them show any personality beyond the most basic tropes.

And this is also a secret magical girl series, because why not. That might be enough to get me to look at the second episode, and the premise has enough potential between the normal and magic stuff, but I doubt this will pull through.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo - 1

Gotta say this is incredibly good, its gonna be great if the production can keep up till the end. Amazing OP & ED too.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Dodoro Episode 1:

I am not sure what I was expecting but I am sure it wasn't something that transposed Tezuka into the modern age so brilliantly.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Double Decker 12-13 FIN

Show ended well enough and with a tone in-line with the rest of the show. I'd been concerned that it totally dropped the ball but ep 11 seems like the outlier. That's not to say the show was without faults because it had some glaring ones:
  • The show often struggled with its own foreshadowing and not handling it well enough to justify the twists and turns in the back half.
  • Episode 11 was ridiculously compressed and while I don't think this really feels like a 2 cour series rewritten as one there was definitely trouble balancing the character-focused episodes with those of the main Anthem plotline.
  • Kirill's origin is incredibly anime and it detracts from the more low-key nature of the show (Overdrives excepted.) Could've just been another country and would have been equally effective.
Glad I watched it though as I had a ton of fun with it even if it did misstep toward the end. Thanks again for the rec, HosannaExcelsis

Persona 5 the Animation 8-26 FIN

Fell back into this recently and think I enjoyed it more as the distance from my playthrough increased. There are lots of nice little touches throughout the show like some sharper humor and a more concerted misdirection as to who the traitor is that makes it enjoyable enough and it ended just right. It's a double-edged sword though as so many of the game elements are retained that it leaves this adaptation in that precarious position of being a bit impenetrable to those that haven't played the game and lacking in execution for those that had. Production held up well enough although starting with episode 19 it began having some very rough patches. Final OPs were good and I had some fun. I think people might look back on it a bit more kindly as time goes on.

Persona 5 the Animation Dark Sun

Really expected the worst after I read some posts about it adapting stuff too fast but this turns out well enough due to skipping almost all of the dumb game stuff (a welcome change) outside of the two main fights and some montage of palace 7. Worked a little better than it should given how weak this area was in the game and if they trim the last part like they did this one, excising the stuff better left as just a game element, it'll probably turn out ok.

Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files 0

This had so much unexpected personality and charm that I'm excited about the series. So long as the production and source material both hold up, that it will be something special.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
GeGeGe no Kitaro 38
download.png

GeGeGe No Kitaro is a kids show...

-that focuses on a Yokai that likes to steal bodies especially during funeral processions so the crying children add extra spice to that delicious corpse
-where Ratman decides to throw in with said Yokai, because it's a great way to get in on the body disposal business
- said Yokai is able to transfer into a human body where he'll probably be able to easily steal corpses

All in one episode.

It's a kids show.

For kids.

Haven't watched any episodes of this in a good while and I can see that my assumption that Ratman is still a trash person is intact.

Oct 25, 2017
GeGeGe no Kitaro 38
download.png

GeGeGe No Kitaro is a kids show...

-that focuses on a Yokai that likes to steal bodies especially during funeral processions so the crying children add extra spice to that delicious corpse
-where Ratman decides to throw in with said Yokai, because it's a great way to get in on the body disposal business
- said Yokai is able to transfer into a human body where he'll probably be able to easily steal corpses

All in one episode.

It's a kids show.

For kids.

I watched this today and I couldn't believe it was actually happening. What an amazing anime.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Double Decker 12-13 FIN
  • Kirill's origin is incredibly anime and it detracts from the more low-key nature of the show (Overdrives excepted.) Could've just been another country and would have been equally effective.
I thought it's in line with the sci-fi elements/world and yet silently managed to come out of the left field. I just wish it didn't feel compelled to tie it up with its current Anthem narrative. I am yet to watch the last two episodes but that's the direction it seemed to be going for.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Yeah watched Dororo's first episode this morning as well and it was freaking great. Mob and Dororo on the same day... Great season already haha

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a bit of discussion about white vs yellow subs and I'm just going to say they're both bad.

Give me black box with multiple colours to indicate who is talking. Works perfect for regular TV so no idea why anime can't do the same. God it's awful when you have two people talking at the same time (usually one in the background) and you just have a clumsy mess of lines all in one colour. At least put a name in brackets before each line if you have multiple people speaking at once.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yakitate Japan sorta devolved into making too much fun on the expense on some characters, it got stupid and crazy but also more mean than i wanted. Doesn't one character become such a huge joke he turns to a blob of irrelevance in the manga?Why go so far in stripping someone of their humanity? I didn't want the loser character beaten so badly so i stopped watching it.
The first arc of Yakitate is all I recommend. It's a show about baking with a twist and I suspect that's what the author had planned out. Once it got popular and he was forced to extend the plot it falls apart. The character you're thinking of is Kawachi, who was so badly handled it's almost insulting to the reader/viewer.

His gimmick was that he was the only one to really react to Azuma's great skill. He was basically the Grimes of the world. They basically took this one idea and made him an idiot who reacts to anything. Doubly bad when you remember he was a competent baker, who was actually more knowledgeable than Azuma and even taught him. Later Azuma just acts like a dick and treats Kawachi like he doesn't know anything (well pretty much everyone does).

Some people often hate when an anime cuts out parts from the manga, but, for as bad as the last arc is, the anime does a much better job by cutting most of it out. The manga just goes off the rails.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a bit of discussion about white vs yellow subs and I'm just going to say they're both bad.

Give me black box with multiple colours to indicate who is talking. Works perfect for regular TV so no idea why anime can't do the same. God it's awful when you have two people talking at the same time (usually one in the background) and you just have a clumsy mess of lines all in one colour. At least put a name in brackets before each line if you have multiple people speaking at once.

Would be useless for people with color blindness

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Would be useless for people with color blindness
Considering TV subtitles have been around for donkey's years I'm sure the issues regarding colour blindness have been tackled. They are, after all, primarily an accessibility function.

The BBC guidelines say only white, yellow, cyan and green are used.

If colours aren't popular, the BBC does have other suggestions for identifying speakers.

Basically, anime needs better standards for this stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first episode of Dororo and it blew me away. This is one of the oldest manga ever and it doesn't even feel like it.
I have a feeling this will be the "Devilman Crybaby" of the year for me. Can't wait for the next episode!

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
The funny thing is i'd Say the current manga arc is way dumber than the Azami stuff

That's only natural. As soon as a narrative is creatively compromised with a spineless pro-authoritarianism message, it's a sign that the author cares about appeasing publishers and editors more than what the story is actually about.

I don't even blame the author for the current garbage arc, because the whole story is a lost cause anyway. You can't uncompromise what's already compromised. Every story has imperfections, but as soon as the trust between the author and the reader is broken, all the reader will think about is the imperfections, and at that point it's impossible to ever win them back, even if you wrote something good again.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Considering TV subtitles have been around for donkey's years I'm sure the issues regarding colour blindness have been tackled. They are, after all, primarily an accessibility function.

The BBC guidelines say only white, yellow, cyan and green are used.

If colours aren't popular, the BBC does have other suggestions for identifying speakers.

Basically, anime needs better standards for this stuff.
It's 2019, anime needs to give me the option to select whatever the fuck style, size, and color of subtitle I want.

VRV's app in particular is pretty shit in that it doesn't give you any options. HIDIVE's is yellow, CR's is white with colored outlines, and both are so huge they take up like 20% of the screen and in HIDIVE's case, often don't even fit on the screen so they become 3-4 lines instead of two. It's infuriating.

Oct 25, 2017
Tsurune Episode 11

I wish more of the past was shown, I needed moments with Shu and Minata studying archery together when they were younger. It sounds like such an awesome time.

I think IRL you would have told them of the car accident at least after the tournament to not distract such young minds, OR stated the extent.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Dororo ep.1
I gave this one a shot based on that wild synopsis and I'm glad I did. That was a pretty wild opening episode and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Mob S2 ep.1
Damn Mob, welcome back. Good first episode with a softer touch. That speech scene was pretty funny with all the side thoughts of the people he knows being pt out there.

Slime-san takes over the world ep.14
Complete and utter domination of the mind and body of his foes. Lots of win in this episode for our heroes.

Oct 25, 2017
Mob Psycho s2 Episode 1

Should have subverted expectations and had Mob do an epic speech. Roller my eyes when he got up there and just did what everyone expected.

Expected and predictable rest of episode.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So is there any chance or vague rumors about a second season for Land of Lustrous, or do I need to start reading the manga?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo 01

Excellent opening episode. I played the PS2 game based on the story, so I'm familiar with it, but it was really good regardless.
Didn't like the vocals in the opening song much though. Eh.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Double Decker 12-13 END

This turned out predictably, that's not really surprising and not a bad thing in itself but just a bit disappointing with how much of it felt sketchy, given the operation is at another scale from the past. As I feared, they hastily tied up Krill's identity to its Anthem narrative.

The show had its moments, the characters are really what got me to watching it so I suppose it did deliver that much.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The character you're thinking of is Kawachi, who was so badly handled it's almost insulting to the reader/viewer.

His gimmick was that he was the only one to really react to Azuma's great skill. He was basically the Grimes of the world. They basically took this one idea and made him an idiot who reacts to anything. Doubly bad when you remember he was a competent baker, who was actually more knowledgeable than Azuma and even taught him. Later Azuma just acts like a dick and treats Kawachi like he doesn't know anything (well pretty much everyone does).

Man at least Yamcha had a career in sports after everything, Kawachi though, that's an undeserved stomping. That was all feel bad and no fun.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh crap, Date a Live got the 3rd season they started talking about in the final episode of S2.....

I completely forgot about it and it started today.

I mean, it wasn't the best show before that and I enjoyed only for magic battles, but I've watched the first 10 minutes of the new season and it's fucking dead. I hope JC will manage, but I've lost all hope. Reminded me a bit of that show last season with the sister writer.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Dororo 1
After Amazon finally decided their international audience would probably appreciate some subtitles, I sat down to watch the premier. I know there was a lot of talk lately about notable animators leaving the project, making many speculate as to the quality of the end product after some early PVs got people talking. I'm glad that much of the anxiety over Dororo seems to have quelled somewhat after this episode. While a bit thin in terms of notable content and feeling somewhat lopsided in terms of backstory to introductory arc, this still felt like a quality look at what Dororo is planning to be, and what it might be capable of over the course of its run. From the lovingly detailed and classically styled background art to the tasteful and impactful use of gore to the quality animation and editing during the final action sequence, this doesn't really betray its roots as an classical manga. With how much they tried to pack into this first episode as well as its abrupt ending, I can't say I'm entirely sold yet but this has proved more interesting than I was giving it credit for initially. Here's hoping they manage to fine-tune the pacing a bit in the next episode.

Baki 1-13
So, out of the three shows I wanted to watch before voting, this seemed like the easiest one to binge watch over the course of a day. Baki is actually a continuation of the manga's adaptation, focusing on an arc set after Baki won a major underground martial arts tournament where five "Super Max" prisoners from around the world all break out of prison and head for Japan to challenge the new champion. With a premise that unbelievably stupid, how could I not be excited to check this out? And did it live up to my expectations?

First and foremost, I want to talk about what's good here. Baki is a show that revels in levels of hilarious testosterone the macho movies of the '80s could only dream of reaching. Both the mediums of manga and anime have allowed creator Keisuke Itagaki to push beyond the normal limits of the human form, creating characters with ridiculous proportions to match their personalities. And despite everyone looking like some 'roid-ed up junkie, everyone has distinctive enough designs that even without knowing the extended cast like I would assume you were supposed to coming off of the manga or the previous adaptation. Baki also knows when to throw something bizarrely unexpected your way. I imagine a lot of the reason this arc exists is because after the tournament arc, Itagaki was looking for a way to cut loose from the more traditional sports setup and implement some real surprises with fighters that didn't play by the rules and were aiming for the kill. The show manages to leverage that concept rather well with some truly dumbfounding moments as the fighters constantly try to one up one another as they beat the life out of one another. But this is also where Baki kind of fell apart for me when the freshness wore off.

This "Prisoners" arc might be what the manga needed at the time to spice things up a bit, but watching it without any other real exposure to Baki, I can't help but see the mechanisms behind-the-scenes manipulating things too often. To compare the show with JoJo for a bit, the fights in both series are equally chess-like, with opponents pulling secret techniques or other unexpected advantages out and the others having to react in turn. The difference between them is that JoJo often knows when a fight between said opponents has reached its climax and deals with them before returning and then introducing a new one. In this season of Baki, only two of the five prisoners ends up getting any focus, one of them for a whopping five to six episode: almost half the length of this "season." And frankly, he was not interesting enough to warrant that focus. Every fight he had over the course of that time had roughly the same structure: meets opponent(s), initial fight, changes things up, opponent changes things up, then he manages to pull out a win until eventually he doesn't. And this goes on for almost half of the episodes I watched. And many of these things, even if they were surprising, had clockwork timing that meant I didn't have any kind of suspense when I could guess when Itagaki was going to do something. It doesn't help that for what basically amounts to a death tournament arc, Baki is very toothless. Even with the horrific levels of violence people inflict on one another here, the death count of anyone who's not simply window dressing is unbelievably low. I imagine it's because all these people involved are supposed to be characters you already know and care about, but these prisoners don't feel as lethal as they should because the lethal violence they live by doesn't actually cause much lasting harm.

And lastly, I need to address the show's visuals, because they are all over the place. There's moments when Baki looks great. Whether it's a fabulously framed animation or a close-up of a character's key frame, sometimes the show looks excellent. But in that same scene, it can look horribly cheap, not to mention I've seen fight scenes that bounce back and forth between pulled-back 3D CG models and close-up 2D models and it looks really weird. The CG isn't terrible, but it's so jarring when it cuts back and forth. I also have to admit, I kind of hate the show's color palette. Everything has this washed out muddy look, like the screen is often saturated in too many grays and browns. Combined with a lot of fights taking place at night in areas with limited lighting, and the show can sometimes feel like its obfuscating the action more than necessary, another thing JoJo avoids with its modular color palette.

In the end, I did enjoy Baki despite its shortcomings, but I feel it would not be best suited to binge watching. Spend too much time watching at once and you'll end up seeing behind the curtain a bit too much, not to mention that a show like this that should be all about the action doesn't really have the quality often enough to keep it enjoyable throughout. I'll still watch the rest because when the show clicks and is at its most absurd, it can be very entertaining. But YMMV as its a bumpy and uneven road through this arc, which is a shame given how amazing the premise is.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Double Decker 12-13 FIN

Show ended well enough and with a tone in-line with the rest of the show. I'd been concerned that it totally dropped the ball but ep 11 seems like the outlier. That's not to say the show was without faults because it had some glaring ones:
  • The show often struggled with its own foreshadowing and not handling it well enough to justify the twists and turns in the back half.
  • Episode 11 was ridiculously compressed and while I don't think this really feels like a 2 cour series rewritten as one there was definitely trouble balancing the character-focused episodes with those of the main Anthem plotline.
Glad I watched it though as I had a ton of fun with it even if it did misstep toward the end. Thanks again for the rec, HosannaExcelsis

Anthem's such an over the top ability that aliens from space seems totally plausible. Between Anthem, Bamboo Man's powers being low level DBZ shit, and Yuri being a robot, this show as never low-key IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Seishun Buta Yarou 1 (no, I'm not going to use that awful Engrish title)

The overall look of the show (character design, color design, backgrounds, etc.) is bland, if not downright ugly. At the same time, the effort that's gone into having a large quantity of lively character animation is admirable. With things such as everyone in the subway car moving around as the car jostles them, there's a lot more attention to detail in movement than you'd expect from any TV show, let alone one in which any static image pulled from it would be singularly unimpressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.