• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To be fair, the over the top story and characters are what makes some of these shows so fun to follow. But I suppose we (I) won't know until I have actually seen a serious cooking show. Whatever that may be.
Influence, what works more on the magazine and what the public of it likes more, what they want to work with, suggestions. It has dozens of motives and it differs from each person.
So demographics? I guess that's logical.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I still like it, but I kinda wish this wasn't the way they were going. That just means the one from the picture is the food monster he met first.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I still like it, but I kinda wish this wasn't the way they were going. That just means the one from the picture is the food monster he met first.
Harem Anime operate on Ricky Bobby rules.

"If you're not first, you're last."

90% of the time in a harem anime (with an actual conclusion anyway) the MC will end up with the first girl introduced.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
but they laid people off, restructued to reduce redundancies, joined the AT&T and Warner Network, how in the world do they need to increase prices is beyond me. Its not even like they robust always available site access with unprecedented levels of downtime to even warrant the price for infrastructure. Terrible.

It's likely because of the takeover. If Adult Swim content ends up on there, I don't think I'll mind all that much. Who knows though? It may end up being folded into Warner's streaming service.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Dr Stone is all right, it's got some funny stuff and the science aspect is interesting, but the female characters are really terrible (even by Shounen Jump standards), and I'm nine volumes in but it still feels kinda aimless.

I'll still watch the anime though, but I'm not expecting it to set the world on fire.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the SCIENCE part mixed with perhaps-not-so-mad-scientist trying to jump start society is what lead me to believe that this would be unconventional. Also the character designs!

Why'd you have to fill my heart with sorrow?

The character designs for the women are atrocious "How To Draw Anime" levels of bad. Just awful.

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone is reactionary because the premise is "What if you could do everything over again but you just did the same thing and create the same issues and structures" and the way Boichi draws women is almost as bad as Oda

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt call Haikyuu unrealistic and that is a top 3 SJ manga.

That's why I said in general, not all. Even the ones that aren't on fantasy world or are more like our world are more unrealistic in feel and interactions because well, it's not wrong to be more cartoon on that matter either way and it's not something I dislike since I read 14 titles from WSJ. But other magazine feel and have more realistic ways in story, interactions and such, like the example I made with Shonen Magazine which have more realistic manga between them.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dr Stone is all right, it's got some funny stuff and the science aspect is interesting, but the female characters are really terrible (even by Shounen Jump standards), and I'm nine volumes in but it still feels kinda aimless.
Dr. Stone is reactionary because the premise is "What if you could do everything over again but you just did the same thing and create the same issues and structures" and the way Boichi draws women is almost as bad as Oda
The character designs for the women are atrocious "How To Draw Anime" levels of bad. Just awful.
Oh, I wasn't even paying attention to that. Were there women in the trailer at all, except for the stone people? I googled dr stone female characters and I see a few skeevy outfits. Is that a tendency? Or is it more a problem of being lazy?

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I wasn't even paying attention to that. Were there women in the trailer at all, except for the stone people?

latest

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So it's samey looking. Even the outfits. But especially the facial features. Hard to understand what the point of such low effort character design is when you clearly have the potential to do more*, looking at the male characters.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That and the samey look is the barbie doll look with extra creepy anime girl faces
You know, now that you mention it, they do have a somewhat eerie appearance. If you compare them to the male characters' determined or smug expressions, they look sort of out of it. And yeah, I see exactly what you mean by barbie doll.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind 23

"Oh your Stand is tearing out my throat? Well fuck you I'm going to kill you anyways"

I thought he had some second plan to deal with that but turns out Narancia decided to just tank it lmao. Neat fight overall.

Dec 28, 2018
Boichi is a damn good artist and has great designs for the male cast. Sadly dude can't apply that same level of greatness to the female cast. Mentioned it a while back but the way he draws their faces really bugs me.
01.png

I just hate how all the male characters have normal looking eyes and then the female characters have these big ass anime eyes and it just doesn't look good. And it doesn't help that he draws them all pretty skinny so they come off looking like freaky Barbie dolls. Honestly the dude makes Oda look good in comparison when it comes to female designs.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Price of Smiles END

HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING WAS BAD

Yea fucking right. Yuki just holds hands with the people who murdered LITERALLY ALL OF HER FRIENDS AND CONFIDANTS AND SLAUGHTER HER COUNTRYMEN LIKE CATTLE and sings fucking kumbaya with them while also making sure they don't get punished harshly. Like what the hell, fuck this show I want my hours back. Just because you achieve peace doesn't mean you have to kiss the ass of your former enemies who are still totally a threat because their leader is actually still evil.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Price of Smiles END

HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING WAS BAD

Yea fucking right. Yuki just holds hands with the people who murdered LITERALLY ALL OF HER FRIENDS AND CONFIDANTS AND SLAUGHTER HER COUNTRYMEN LIKE CATTLE and sings fucking kumbaya with them while also making sure they don't get punished harshly. Like what the hell, fuck this show I want my hours back. Just because you achieve peace doesn't mean you have to kiss the ass of your former enemies who are still totally a threat because their leader is actually still evil.
Sounds like you learned... THE PRICE OF SMILES!
original.gif

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE FACT THE PRINCESS KINDA SORTA COMMITTED GENOCIDE WHEN SHE PRESSED BUTTON LIKE HOLY SHIT AND SHE JUST GETS OFF

Apparently the price of Yuuki's smile is the lives of everyone she knows and loves and countless millions of people that died after she pressed that button and the resulting civil unrest that doesn't actually get resolved. BUT LOOK AT THE PRETTY RAINBOW AND THE MUSIC

MY FUCKING FACE WHEN SHE PRESSED THAT BUTTON AND THE MUSIC PLAYED AND THE HAPPINESS RAINBOW OF DEATH THAT CIRCLED THE WORLD CAME OUT
TOHsDic.png

Last edited:

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Code Geass Handou (second recap film)

The part that belongs to season 1 is the same as in the first movie; total fun. That said, the part that belongs to season 2 wasn't good. I liked some of the new scenes that weren't in the original series but they just jump from one thing to another at an incredible pace, that it can get hard to know what's going on if you haven't watched the original. It's weaker than the first movie, but I still greatly enjoyed it. Will watch the third and last recap movie pretty soon.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Code Geass Handou (second recap film)

The part that belongs to season 1 is the same as in the first movie; total fun. That said, the part that belongs to season 2 wasn't good. I liked some of the new scenes that weren't in the original series but they just jump from one thing to another at an incredible pace, that it can get hard to know what's going on if you haven't watched the original. It's weaker than the first movie, but I still greatly enjoyed it. Will watch the third and last recap movie pretty soon.

I think it's the trickiest part of the series to adapt. That movie does jump through many S2 events in a limited time, which can feel rushed, but the good thing is they also immediately resolved the cliffhanger, skipped all of the filler and added some new scenes from Suzaku's perspective.

Comparatively, it's still a better use of the typical viewer's time than watching 12 or 13 episodes of R2. In other words...the things they don't explain are mostly non-essential and there's throwaway lines to address a few of them. The third movie has a lot less material to deal with, thankfully, so the pacing becomes more reasonable again.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the over the top story and characters are what makes some of these shows so fun to follow. But I suppose we (I) won't know until I have actually seen a serious cooking show. Whatever that may be.

Food Wars is still the best cooking anime since Yumeiro Patissierre / Yumeiro Patissierre SP Professional.

I'm not a fan of over the top characters and over the top storys. I prefer the jump series with more grounded stories and characters that really make you feel for their struggles and want to see them break through the limitations of the life fate cast them. Its why BLack Clover, Naruto/Boruto, Haikyuu!!, SketDan, Food Wars, HeroAca, and Katekyo Hitman Reborn, are the best in shonenjump weekly.

So it's samey looking. Even the outfits. But especially the facial features. Hard to understand what the point of such low effort character design is when you clearly have the potential to do more*, looking at the male characters.

But the artist is a great design, Chrome is in one of the top designs of current ongoing jump series. He's just that good.

Though this goes back to what I said about the series failing to capture popularity, ive yet to find anyone that is actually into those femchar designs. They dont even get relevant and meaningful fanart.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of over the top characters and over the top storys. I prefer the jump series with more grounded stories and characters that really make you feel for their struggles and want to see them break through the limitations of the life fate cast them. Its why BLack Clover, Naruto/Boruto, Haikyuu!!, SketDan, Food Wars, HeroAca, and Katekyo Hitman Reborn, are the best in shonenjump weekly.

OK, this is probably one of your best straight-faced troll lines.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Food Wars is still the best cooking anime since Yumeiro Patissierre / Yumeiro Patissierre SP Professional.

I'm not sure I'd call all of those grounded, DTL. Maybe a few characters within some of the shows. Like Shino in Naruto. Unless we're going by different definitions. Personally, I like weird characters, but not the far fetched, oh-look-at-me-I'm-so-wacky ones. Feel like the authors don't really know what true oddballs look like, so they compensate for that by going as over the top as they can.
But the artist is a great design, Chrome is in one of the top designs of current ongoing jump series. He's just that good.

Though this goes back to what I said about the series failing to capture popularity, ive yet to find anyone that is actually into those femchar designs. They dont even get relevant and meaningful fanart.
Yeah, the male characters look great in my opinion, but the ball was really dropped when it came to the female characters from what I'm seeing. Everyone in this thread seems to agree on that point, at least.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I think it's the trickiest part of the series to adapt. That movie does jump through many S2 events in a limited time, which can feel rushed, but the good thing is they also immediately resolved the cliffhanger, skipped all of the filler and added some new scenes from Suzaku's perspective.

Comparatively, it's still a better use of the typical viewer's time than watching 12 or 13 episodes of R2. In other words...the things they don't explain are mostly non-essential and there's throwaway lines to address a few of them. The third movie has a lot less material to deal with, thankfully, so the pacing becomes more reasonable again.
Yeah it's trickier to adapt, but it felt a bit too much. The best part of R2 is obviously in the third film, but what we got in the second one made me feel like I'm watching a giant mess. While 12 episodes of R2 were too much, I think they should've showed some more in the movie. Despite R2 being a mess in this part, I still prefer how some of it was done there.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Anthem of the Heart

I liked it. There's melodrama as with most things that are written by Okada, and also some love triangle things, which are also extremely liked by her (though it's not as much to-your-face here compared to others works), and some things felt a bit too weird for me, but the overall message, fun characters and the way most of it was presented were good. The animation is pretty damn neat as well.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka 11

I liked the Kurumi portion actually. Nice bit of character development and shows that she should be busted even in this sort of 1 v 1 fight. Rest of it was just okay though. Gotta appreciate how predictable it was that the big scary guy got killed while the cute girl survived. Show is nothing if not consistent in that regard at least.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That and the samey look is the barbie doll look with extra creepy anime girl faces

Anime girl faces when they are manga including in that image? Should be the contrary lol Even more when anime basically just picks everything from other media including trends, designs, artstyles, genres and so on.. haha

Another Isekai(?) anime but with milf.

It was announced last year but without a PV, just a announcement with the LN. It's basically a comedy about a boy who goes to a game world with his mom which interfere with everything he does in that world. It's not incest btw, the mom is just doting and the dynamic is around it. It's very good and hilarious. lol

A curiosity about this series is that animate store made a promotion where you could get a poster of the series if you bought the LN with your mom in a certain period of time and that literally happened with many mothers being there

Here's the synopsis:

Just when Masato thought that a random survey conducted in school was over, he got involved in a secret Government scheme. As he was carried along with the flow, he ended up in a Game world! As if that wasn't enough, shockingly, his mother was there as well! It was a little different from a typical transported to another world setting, but after some bickering,

"Mom wants go on an adventure together with Maa-kun. Can mom become Maa-kun's companion?"

With that, Masato and Mamako began their adventure as a mother and son pair. They met Porta, a cute traveling merchant, and Wise, a regrettable philosopher. Along with their new party members, Masato and co. start on their journey.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018
It was announced for some time but without a PV. It's basically a comedy about a boy who is sucked into his game with his mom which interfere with everything he does in that world. It's not incest btw, the mom is just doting and the dynamic is around it. It's very good and hilarious. lol

A curiosity about this series is that animate store made a promotion where you could get a poster of the series if you bought the LN with your mom in a certain period of time and that literally happened with many mothers being there
The way it looked in the trailer I thought there was some kind of incest relationship going on between the mom and son, glad to hear it isn't like that. An Isekai with a mother and son sounds like it could be pretty funny and I'm kinda tempted to watch it because of that. Though I just hope it doesn't go over board with the fan service considering they are son and mother and that would just be weird and nasty.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, the mom is actually trying to get him laid and purposely only lets women join his party.

Status
Not open for further replies.