• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Finished anime space vampire Count of Monte Cristo last night. I completely bounced off this one when it first came out but watching it now and it was in fucking credible. What a wacky way to tell an old revenge story. Good dub too.
The ED is so good.

TIL I STRIKE

I wish Franz got his happy ending with Albert, instead of pulling a Maze Runner and sending a love letter afterwards

Oct 25, 2017
Rising of the Shield Hero 8 EngDub

I thought the cursed shield is compelling wish he used it more.

Still. Master Naofumi's smile is precious. Im glad he finally did it for once for his party.

I kind of wish they didnt use the janky CGI Dragon Zombie. It reminds me of when I watch some shows on NBC/CBS and they randomly throw in some pretty poor looking CGI Dog/Wolf/Plane that it is distracting instead of cool.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Vento Aureo 20
Hax! I'm calling hax! Seriously, though, as specific as that power might be, when used correctly, I can't immediately think of any reason why King Crimson would have any particular flaws. It's like Araki sat down and said, "You know, I really enjoyed that sequence of when everyone's trying to understand what Dio's Stand does at the end of Stardust Crusaders. Why don't I take the element of that which was kind of neat (where Polnareff keeps going up the stairs over and over) and refine that into a more interesting concept?" While I don't know if "the Boss" is going to be as much of a driving force in the rest of the story the same way Kira was in Diamond is Unbreakable, I can already see plenty of potentially interesting scenarios regarding how he can manipulate everyone and their Stands to trick them into defeating themselves. Like... how does Moody Blues even comprehend what happens when King Crimson uses its ability? Something as simple as that makes much of what I've come to accept as fairly rote in this part by now fresh and exciting again, which is the perfect kind of feeling you want for the halfway point. Bring on the insanity, because I expect Golden Wind's going to go off the rails from here!

Kaguya-sama: Love is War 7
Another excellent episode, and perhaps the one with the most "directorial flourishes" to coin a phrase. While the skits this week weren't quite up to the standard of the last couple episodes (this was probably the weakest "dating advice" scene and Kaguya laughing at dirty jokes seemed a bit too basic for how long it lasted), the direction of these skits and a lot of the care and thought that went into the editing and unique elements of animation made them all much more enjoyable. Mamoru Hatakeyama has clearly already found his groove with the material at this point, and with him firing on all cylinders Kaguya-sama continues to impress week-on-week for just how well produced it is, as well as how excellent it is at leveraging film techniques from multiple genres to enhance the comedic tone shifts of certain gags. There really isn't much more I can say; the latest episodes have maintained a level of quality well above where the series started, and it's just such a delight to watch. I can only hope that it lasts and remains popular enough that these last four episodes ahead won't be the end of Kaguya-sama's adaptation, because this has become too good to end so soon.

GeGeGe no Kitaro 45
I was almost ready to call this episode wholly unremarkable until the last few minutes when my suspicions were proven true and we're treated to Kitaro standing by watching one of the most grizzly comeuppances in this recent iteration. On the whole, there's little hints here and there as to the truth of what's going on, but I feel that for a horror show, the episode doesn't really lean into the severity of the situation enough to make it as truly horrifying as it could be. That is, of course, until the last few minutes of the episode, which is a tone shift so drastic and dark that it genuinely shocked me, but it is in keeping with the theme of this cour, which has been significantly darker than anything this iteration of GeGeGe no Kitaro has tackled before. Does the ending save the episode? Yes, but it doesn't turn it into a great one. I would still say this is the weakest episode of this recent cour, because the two minutes of sadistic pleasure watching someone get theirs in the most horrible way does not erase the twenty minutes of boredom that precedes them.

Mysteria Friends 6
Ah yes, I can definitely tell were the animation team spent their bulk of their time in this episode! The requisite beach fan service episode is here, and in large part it didn't disappoint. Between the action set-piece that was the magical volleyball match between some of the extras and Grea teaching a reluctant Anne how to swim, this was a very nice looking episode overall. There wasn't too much going on in this episode apart from the focus on the kinds of thing where an almost exclusively female-cast wear swimsuits the entire time. Blatant though it might be, the bulk of the episode is more cute than leering, with Anne's inability to swim and her attempts to avoid doing so coming across as particularly charming. Again, this series continues to be fluff, but at least it was back to being good-looking fluff this time around.

Mob Psycho 100 II 8
It was only a matter of time before Claw showed back up in some form or other after the conclusion of the last season, but I didn't think their return would take this form. Before getting to that, though, I really appreciated this small, self-contained story about Mob running the school marathon. Of course, he was never going to make it to the top ten, but seeing everyone around him cheer him on and help him out shows just how much he has grown as well as how much of a social network he has at school and how many people there respect him for his meager accomplishments outside of his psychic powers. There were a couple of threads left hanging at the end, and I do wonder if those will be addressed by the end of the season, but it's interesting seeing how that all worked out. But man, the harsh turn from that to the main conflict re-igniting from the end of last season was pretty brutal to watch, and I worry for the last consequences for Mob once all of what remains in this season is said and done. Whatever fighting is ahead, arguably the damage has already been done.

So this is pretty much the song itself for Carole & Tuesday's OP.

Tuesday's singer (Celeina Ann) is way better than I expected. Both vocally deeper and has more control than I was anticipating. The music is going to be really good for this. Based Watanabe.

Man, hearing that earlier today was a real treat. Even as an live, more acoustic version of the OP which we heard a verse of at the end of the PV they released a little while ago, Carole & Tuesday has shot up as my most anticipated show of next season now that the music has started to come together. I can't recall the last series where Watanabe poured so much of his own vision into the identity of the music therein... I don't know how much he had to do with Space Dandy's soundtrack, so has it been since Kids on the Slope? Man, it's been too long if that's the case. I can only hope the series as a whole lives up to the OST, because I think that alone is going to be something special.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shigurui 1-12
This anime. I don't even know where to start. This is one of the most disturbing and fucked up anime I have ever seen. It was bleak, it had a very slow pacing, almost every character were fucked up or straight up evil and disgusting and it was so damn gory. And yet it was really entertaining and gripping.

I don't know how they did it but each episode was so damn suspensful and really intense. It doesn't evem have much action yet they suceeded at it. I really liked the visuals and how it was a very "show don't tell" type of anime. Reminded me a lot of Texhnolyze (I heard they were made by the same author so that makes sense). Now I will need to read the manga to find out what happens.

Dororo 8
it is strange jumping from Shigurui to this. This episode wasn't bleak at all and was very normal by this anime standard and extremely normal coming from Shigurui to this. I am interested to see if they continue this direction or if they will return into the bleak tone of the other episodes.

I really like that they didn't make Hyakumaru talk normally, his voice actor is doing a great job at making him struggle when uttering words like when he said Dororo's name for the first time.

Will need to watch Mob's newest episode tomorrow and catch up to Boogiepop.
Thanks for this write up about Shigurai, it lured me in enough to watch it.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I really do not like Dororo. The character that is, not the show itself. They very much feel like an audience insert character. Someone to explain everything because the writer(s) think the audience would be too dumb to understand if there was only a silent protagonist. Every remark explaining what is currently happening grates on me further and further.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
So this is pretty much the song itself for Carole & Tuesday's OP.

Tuesday's singer (Celeina Ann) is way better than I expected. Both vocally deeper and has more control than I was anticipating. The music is going to be really good for this. Based Watanabe.

Is it too early to predict that Carole and Tuesday will be AOTS for Spring?

Yes it absolutely is, but I'm predicting that anyway.

Last edited:

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Rising of the Shield Hero 8 EngDub

I thought the cursed shield is compelling wish he used it more.

Still. Master Naofumi's smile is precious. Im glad he finally did it for once for his party.

I kind of wish they didnt use the janky CGI Dragon Zombie. It reminds me of when I watch some shows on NBC/CBS and they randomly throw in some pretty poor looking CGI Dog/Wolf/Plane that it is distracting instead of cool.

Yea, I was also distracted by that CG.

It reminds me of this video :

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rising of the shield hero episode 4 holy crap

tenor.gif

Woah this show is legit, probably one of the best episodes I've seen a while. I never felt so many different emotions in the span of a single episode, and that scene at the end so beautiful.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I never watch the anime, but the Shigurui's manga ending is the most shocking stuff that I ever saw. its shook me to the core.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I never watch the anime, but the Shigurui's manga ending is the most shocking stuff that I ever saw. its shook me to the core.

Hmm. I've seen the anime and read the manga afterward but can't recall its ending. But not sure if I would've considered anything particularly shocking since it just jumped the shark at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
Rising of the shield hero episode 4 holy crap

tenor.gif

Woah this show is legit, probably one of the best episodes I've seen a while. I never felt so many different emotions in the span of a single episode, and that scene at the end so beautiful.
The writer is a master of subverting expectations and tugging the heartstrings with the story. Watched the episode more than once

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
For people that are big fans of That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime anime, I'd recommend giving the manga a read through if not the novel. The anime is currently skipping a lot of world building / fun stories in recent chapters. I've written out a list of things missing in the anime just in case anyone was interested.

After Charybidis' defeat, Demon Lord Carrion sends people from his Beast Nation Country to serve as ambassadors to Rimuru's town. Through the use of trading routes established, Rimuru's town is able to start getting in a nice selection of fruit, which they then use to start making alcohol. The Beast Nation's ambassadors become enamored with Rimuru's town due to the alcohol and proceed to get shit faced from it.

There's a part in the manga where Rimuru returns to the Dwarven Kingdom incognito and brings Gobta and his fellow Wolf Riders to the elf brothel as payback for not bringing Gobta the first time lol

On Rimuru's way to the city and academy where Shizu's students are located at, he first stops off at the more local city that the 3 human party's Guild Master is located at. Rimuru gets registered with the guild there and proceeds to take a battle test to determine his rank, administred by a newly introduced character that is missing a leg and walks with a peg leg. The latter part becomes important because later on within that story we find out that Rimuru's town's potions have become so overpowered that they are able to heal missing body parts as Rimuru throws a potion on his stump and the proctor proceeds to regain his leg. There's also a tiny bit about diplomatic occurences when Rimuru comes to an agreement with the local Lord? Duke? that Rimuru realizes afterwards was more beneficial for the other party.

The merchant we are introduced to in the latest chapter is introduced as a trustworthy upstanding guy because he decides to use a potion on a girl's dying mother instead of prioritizing his own safety during the Sky Dragon attack. The anime also differs in what Rimuru asked of him. Rimuru asks him to help with trading the potions his town has been creating, not just a simple request for him to visit his village.

I probably missed some stuff, but hopefully this is intriguing information for a Slime Tensei fan.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BanG Dream S2 9

Oh that's awesome, Roselia's going to play to stall for time until Popipa's show and everything's gonna be- oh no...

Gotta hand it to them, didn't think they'd pull something like that. Between Jojo, Mob, and now this it's been a week for brutal endings

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Rinshi Ekoda-chan 02

I should really check out Sugii Gisaburo's works when I get the chance. The short for this one was very well directed and the interview revealed how much thought he put into it and struggled. Some of his realizations about how Ekoda-chan sees sex are nothing really surprising but I can see where he's coming from.

Since posting pictures sucks, I'm just going to paste my tweet thread(as much as I'd rather not) of one excerpt about animation-voice over work interdependence he pointed out.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it too early to predict that Carole and Tuesday will be AOTS for Spring?

Yes it absolutely is, but I'm predicting that anyway.

Too bad folks outside of Japan won't be able to legitimately watch it until like fall lol

Edit: Saw that your original post actually said fall, which is pretty funny

Last edited:

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Code Geass 6
One of the worst things I've watched. What an incredible waste of time.

I can't for the life of me figure out how a single early lighthearted comedy episode to serve as a breather after several episodes of high stakes intense strategy and plot development could ever be one of the worst things someone has watched.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
So not only has Blue Exorcist reappeared on Netflix (in the U.K. at least) but Kyoto Sagas also on there now, which is pretty cool.

On a side note I'm thinking of using a 7 day trial for HIDIVE to watch Bloom into You and Made in Abyss, anything else worth watching on there?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I can't for the life of me figure out how a single early lighthearted comedy episode to serve as a breather after several episodes of high stakes intense strategy and plot development could ever be one of the worst things someone has watched.

I mean, when someone pronounces the first episode of Code Geass (which had a ton of promise) awful, you're pretty much just along for the ride at that point haha.

You don't have to watch Akito though

Gets bad a long, long time before that though.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Promised Neverland-8

This is a woefully bad adaptation. Kanbe was clearly not a good choice for director. The major scene in the first half should have been shorter and more artistic while the major scene in the second half should have been extended. A lot of the interesting shots from the manga are completely gone too.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really like the current concept of Shield Hero in which he has to constantly clean up the messes left by the other heroes on account of them being narcissistic assholes with extremely narrow points of view.

I just worry that the series won't follow up on that and instead result in some bullshit "We were wrong, let's team up!" moment between the heroes, when Naofumi is absolutely in the right to think "Fuck those guys."

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I really like the current concept of Shield Hero in which he has to constantly clean up the messes left by the other heroes on account of them being narcissistic assholes with extremely narrow points of view.

I just worry that the series won't follow up on that and instead result in some bullshit "We were wrong, let's team up!" moment between the heroes, when Naofumi is absolutely in the right to think "Fuck those guys."
Haven't seen the latest episode yet but from what I've gathered so far, none of the other Heroes (save maybe the Spear Hero but even that's debatable as it's implied he's extremely gullible and is being misled) are actually assholes, they've been fed the same lies as everybody else about the Shield Hero, defending him and coming to his defense when it was obvious that he was being wronged, but still maintaining a degree of skepticism.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

That scene does exist, and he does tell them they suck. But I'm not sure if the anime gets there or not. At this pace they should, but episodes like that hot springs one wasn't in the manga.

I don't know how anyone could possibly call the first episode bad.

Yeah, that's what I thought too and I hate the series as a whole, but then...opinions.

Code Geass is a 10/10 show from start to finish and anyone who thinks it gets "dumb" or "jumps the shark" is weak

See? XD

Haven't seen the latest episode yet but from what I've gathered so far, none of the other Heroes (save maybe the Spear Hero but even that's debatable as it's implied he's extremely gullible and is being misled) are actually assholes, they've been fed the same lies as everybody else about the Shield Hero, defending him and coming to his defense when it was obvious that he was being wronged, but still maintaining a degree of skepticism.

It's not so much about the Shield Hero as it is their actions around the country. They just go and do whatever they want with no follow up, and that has...consequences. Ones Naofumi winds up having to take care of.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what I thought too and I hate the series as a whole, but then...opinions.

Some people might still be incredulous or skeptical when I've said that Code Geass is very polarizing, but there you have it.

I don't know how anyone could possibly call the first episode bad.

It's not a common take, but I've seen occasional comments to that effect.

I think it all comes down to how much weight you put into respecting traditional storytelling form (keeping only one tone included) versus breaking or bending it to serve a different purpose. Even if it isn't for a high-minded goal, not every unorthodox choice is a mistake or a flaw.

That also applies, to a greater extent, with later and crazier events in the series.

Btw, Akito is often called boring by CG fans in comparison but it was a more traditional mecha show after all (yeah, even with the underexplained mystical and/or sci-fi shenanigans).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That's one of the big contradictions that hurts this premise: the series can't seem to decide whether they're uncaring assholes or ignorant to the situation. It's played on both theories.

Chalking it up to them being easily misled and guillable goes against their preciously cavalier "we don't care just give us money and glory" attitude they presented in the first episode.

Either way they've been made entirely unsympathetic and irredeemable, so if the series tries to walk that back and have them side with Shied because "the truth is out" or whatever then fuck that.

Inexplicably it seems that Spear has a spinoff manga series.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Promised Neverland-8

This is a woefully bad adaptation. Kanbe was clearly not a good choice for director. The major scene in the first half should have been shorter and more artistic while the major scene in the second half should have been extended. A lot of the interesting shots from the manga are completely gone too.

The guy who directed Kaiji should have directed this anime.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of the big contradictions that hurts this premise: the series can't seem to decide whether they're uncaring assholes or ignorant to the situation. It's played on both theories.

Chalking it up to them being easily misled and guillable goes against their preciously cavalier "we don't care just give us money and glory" attitude they presented in the first episode.

Either way they've been made entirely unsympathetic and irredeemable, so if the series tries to walk that back and have them side with Shied because "the truth is out" or whatever then fuck that.

Shades of gray. Remember that Bow and Sword Hero came out in support of Naofumi during the cheating in the duel.

Problem is that these guys, who had a mmo almost exactly like this world in their own reality, are playing this like its a game. Instead of first helping the nearby village they are going after the big mob to get high exp and rare drops.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

What I read about the Spear Hero's spin off was hilarious. Dude goes back in time completely leveled up and tries to make up for how he treated Naofumi.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the reason for the cuts was that movies aren't 4 hours long.
My main point was that there was more to cut from R2 because it was filled with more easily cuttable material compared to the first season.

Won't say filler, cause a lot of it still moved the plot along, but it feels like with the R2 stuff, they mostly just kept the ending few episodes, which were the best part of R2.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i hate that i have this urge to watch this stuff you're telling me (implicitly) that I would hate just to see if I hate it. the fucking anime watcher's curse. it's like i want to hit the 'destroy the world' button to see if it works.

is bang dream anime any good i've gotten super into the gacha over the last few days

Status
Not open for further replies.