• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boy am I glad none of y'all are seeing the issue here.

I said remove anime from the premise. So no, no gatcha, no jrpg, no tig ol biddies. Would you still play it?

The only reason I see people even agreeing to watch that piece of demeaning crap called Shield Hero, is because it's animated. It's got bright colours and a relateable protagonist.

Make it live action and westernised would you still watch it?

Remove that gloss and you've got nothing but a show that says a woman is either a harridan or a purchasable object.

I got your point and see the issue, I was just making a joke. Also, I wasn't defending Shield Hero either, I fully get why it makes people uncomfortable and I don't watch it for the same reasons as well.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't work in a live action setting or any other setting outside of Jrpg/anime/LN trash, but I'm sure it'd still have a fanbase somewhat. People love their power fantasies regardless of media. The blowback would be more severe if it was a live action show at least, due to more eyes being on it. It'd still have its starch defenders though.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I got your point and see the issue, I was just making a joke. Also, I wasn't defending Shield Hero either, I fully get why it makes people uncomfortable and I don't watch it for the same reasons as well.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't work in a live action setting or any other setting outside of Jrpg/anime/LN trash, but I'm sure it'd still have a fanbase somewhat. People love their power fantasies regardless of media. The blowback would be more severe if it was a live action show at least, due to more eyes being on it. It'd still have its starch defenders though.
Sorry if I came off strong but I saw a bunch of jokes and it arced me up the wrong way. Also it's really hot here and that's probably not helping my mood.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
And was that done by a protagonist or an antagonist?
He wasn't the main character and wasn't depicted as being in the right though
The question is what happened to other piece that have same element, he definitely an antagonist iirc the character not even challenged for that? our protag group just wish he can drop dead. Aside of that for most part the issue of slavery in GoT depicted as "eh this is common shit in our fantasy medieval story"
Didn't play it, how was that?
Eventually you can have army of orc work under you because you kick their leader ass or close like that.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i mean you don't really play as a good person in shadows of wardor but also the game isn't very interested in interrogating that either, so probably a lot of people very uncritically were super into mind controlling orcs

Dec 28, 2018
My Love Story!! Episode 4

Man even though Yamato's two friends made her cry and insulted Takeo the dude still willing risked his life to save them, what a good guy. Show continues to be to damn cute and fluffy.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, in this case, the comment certainly read like the user didn't "know". And that's the awkward part, when some people don't even seem to acknowledge even pretty glaring issues like on the nose pro-slavery messages.

Not seeing the show myself aside from ERA impressions, I'm not going to say much. But if the anime ever gets to a certain part for which Jex provided a plot summary in another thread and some members are still all "awesome!!!!!!" then YIKES doesn't even cut it anymore. It's to the point where people would very likely catch bans if they were to defend that content. Just like people being dismissive about the pedophilia in Made in Abyss didn't fare so well when that show got some "you should watch" sort of thread on I think it was still GAF.
Take my advice and watch an episode or two of the show to make your own impressions, that's what I did and then realised a lot of the comments I read about it here in another thread were hyperbole or just overreactions, granted I'm only 4 episodes in and things could change later I don't know.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Take my advice and watch an episode or two of the show to make your own impressions, that's what I did and then realised a lot of the comments I read about it here in another thread were hyperbole or just overreactions, granted I'm only 4 episodes in and things could change later I don't know.
I'm actually planning on checking it out once all episodes are out, or at least attempt to despite my issues with plot elements I've heard of. I'm just burnt out on isekai at this point, same reason why I haven't bothered with Slime Hero or whatever it's called.

I am curious as to what parts you considered hyperbole or just overreactions, if you wouldn't mind explaining further.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Watanabe is a huge music buff so I imagine he'll have lots of input and changes he'll want to do. I have my concerns as to whether he's washed or not though.
Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of Kids on the Slope personally. And Terror in Resonance sucked.

Loved Space Dandy a lot, at least.

Still, I'll remain optimistic.
Kyochuu Rettou. Is not all rape, but boy is that scene stuck to you once you read it.
Lol what okay well okay what

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually planning on checking it out once all episodes are out, or at least attempt to despite my issues with plot elements I've heard of. I'm just burnt out on isekai at this point, same reason why I haven't bothered with Slime Hero or whatever it's called.

I am curious as to what parts you considered hyperbole or just overreactions, if you wouldn't mind explaining further.

I personally don't consider any reaction an overreaction. However someone reacts to the show is how they react. Shield Hero does an awful job in-universe justifying the use of slaves. The fourth episode actually steps around the idea of "a good slave owner" , which is total BS.

....And yet, Naofumi doesn't really make them do anything he wouldn't have made them do if he was their employer. The level of freedom he gives them is...like..absurd. Outside of combat they do whatever tf they want. Which raises the question of: why do it in the first place? Most likely, the writer didn't think about any implications, and just went with it 'cause it's a twist on the way party members in an RPG are essentially "slaves" in that you decide how they fight, what they wear and use in battle, etc. He thought he was being cute. It isn't, it's dumb.

If someone objects to this, not to mention the false rape accusation, and drops the show? I understand entirely. I'm not here to be the dork who complains because people are not accepting edgy subject matter. Fuck that; if someone drops a show because they're uncomfortable, that's the risk the creator ran. Zero pity.

That said, I'm also not going to fight about the same things over and over.

Dec 28, 2018
My Love Story!! Episode 5

Takeo and Yamato are both pure cinnamonrolls to good for this world, they are to cute together. I'm curious what Yamato's secret is and I hope that it doesn't end up being something super serious. Got a proper introduction to Suna's sister and she's alright. Not sure I like her supposedly being in love with Takeo the whole time but I'll wait to see how that all pans out.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Certainly. Being needlessly antagonizing isn't good either.

Man, those 2 finale OVAs had me questioning whether I'd not rather have no (adapted) conclusion in favor of some ludicrously rushed episodes. It almost felt weird, like I accidentally sped-up the show to x2.

Anyway, what was that well-prepared joke again? Either I forgot or failed to notice. Hope it's not the latter :|

[Saiki Ending]
D0TpYcz.jpg
It's the acknowledgment that Saiki didn't actually speak to anyone during the course of the series but communicated instead through telepathy directly into their heads, never actually opening his mouth. It was funny but bugged me mightily when I noticed it and that no one in the cast or the show itself seemed to, so was super fond of it being an actual plot point at the end.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
After watching some episodes Shield Hero I find the slavery and false rape talk terrible but the show itself is another shitty isekai. Is this the sub genre poor writers flock to in Japan? You've seen one, you've mostly likely seen them all.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the sub genre poor writers flock to in Japan? You've seen one, you've mostly likely seen them all.
8bzRSQel.png

WBeBDArl.png

X6aQmTUl.png

they aren't all the same. While there are plenty of garbage isakai there are some good ones as well :P

Re:Zero
Konosuba
Twelve Kingdoms.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
My Love Story 01
protagonist you're way more relatable than most protagonists but you're still a dummy

24 eps of this huh? i'll keep watchin

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Does it have conclusive ending?

I watch few eps of it and liked it but lost track of it back then.
I'm actually blanking on it, but I know the manga continued for a bit after the anime. (doesn't mean it doesn't have a fine ending, just that it at the very least wouldn't have the ending the manga has.)

but yeah... I can't remember at all how it ends lol.

To be fair,

given romance anime's tendency to ending once the main couple gets together, you can really stop any point after the first few eps and it's a definitive ending for a romance anime :P

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sorry I don't think would feel comfortable sifting through a thread to cherry pick posts, plus everyone has different opinions and tolerances so they're free to feel and say whatever they want. That's why I recommended watching an episode so that you can form your own opinion and judge for yourself rather than be influenced into not watching something because of what other people say.

How else can you judge something without watching it?

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Pre-SAO "isekai" is so much better. It feels more like a journey into another world instead of a power fantasy in another world. More about inner strength than flexing. More about growing as a person than growing in strength. More about the discovery of the unknown than the conquering of the familiar.

... I miss Ghibli so much.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
How else can you judge something without watching it?
Well, once you watch enough media there just comes a point where you can figure out if something's worth watching, ranging from an instinct/gut feeling to after reading critiques/impressions of what's going on. You can still watch it to confirm but hey, it's your time being spent on something you don't think you'll like (unless it is for the sake of discussion) vs multiple others you haven't that don't involve (just as much or any)questionable things and/or you have a good feeling for.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...nime-style-female-characters-skimpy-costumes/

A Self-Defense Forces recruitment office in Shiga Prefecture has caused a stir by releasing a poster that features female anime characters wearing super-short costumes, which expose what appear to be underwear. Some people have described the image as a form of sexual harassment.

The recruitment poster was created by the SDF's Shiga Provincial Cooperation Office in Otsu and features three female characters from "Strike Witches," an aerial combat anime series. Two of the three characters appear to be wearing blue underwear under their costumes.

The Kyoto Shimbun reported the matter in an article Thursday, and quoted an official from the office as saying that what the characters are wearing under the costumes are "meant to be trousers and not underwear, and thus we believe it is appropriate."

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Wait a minute... Funimation's original marketing material for Strike Witches claimed the series was "Winning the War on Pants!" So someone's lying, but who?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

I don't watch a whole lot of isekai, but Slime at least feels refreshing in that the protagonist is (at least until recently, anyway) somehow oblivious to the fact he is a walking power fantasy and ends up coming off as incredibly grounded.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
[Saiki Ending]
It's the acknowledgment that Saiki didn't actually speak to anyone during the course of the series but communicated instead through telepathy directly into their heads, never actually opening his mouth. It was funny but bugged me mightily when I noticed it and that no one in the cast or the show itself seemed to, so was super fond of it being an actual plot point at the end.

Oh yeh, right. That one I certainly appreciated.

Btw. I found out yesterday that there were 2 more manga chapters depicting stuff after the finale. Found a link to some blog post who had them posted and translated (so it's probably best to not share it here?). They give a more definitive ending.

...that is kinda just the more disappointing because Saiki really does get his powers back. Meh.

You know, I've been very close to actually doing this because I'm wondering if the show really is so well directed that I could see people gobbling it up in spite of it's trash. But I can already tell you with near certainty that I'll find the plot and writing terrible and will likely find myself in the camp of "even besides the awful shit, it's still just a trashy Isekai story that offers nothing." Alone the notion that the other heroes are jerks and it's only mr self-insert slave-owner who's doing any actual 'good' has me rolling my eyes.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
one of the upsides to having a community with regulars (aside from us becoming incredibly insular of course) is that you kind of get to know other people's tastes and how much they jive with you (DTL being the classic anti-example). So while there's merit to watching a show to determine your own reactions and truly decide for oneself your opinions on it, it's also worth using the other crazy people here who absolutely have to watch everything as guinea pigs or lab rats to go take the hits so you don't have to.

classic anime isekais from before we had the word for isekai: inuyasha, fushigi yugi, digimon

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After watching some episodes Shield Hero I find the slavery and false rape talk terrible but the show itself is another shitty isekai. Is this the sub genre poor writers flock to in Japan? You've seen one, you've mostly likely seen them all.
Most modern isekai have followed this formula:

1. Start of as web novel on website with almost zero editorial filter
  2. Get picked up by publisher and go through editor to filter out some of the more problematic content
  3. In order to boost popularity or by popular demand, get made into an anime

So yeah, a lot of these stories are from first time writers who were essentially creating their own fanfiction and posting it on a website. While there are some gems out there among these modern takes on isekai, it's surrounded by a lot of garbage. Even then, most of them stem from the same thought tree: power fantasy in a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/MMO inspired world.

Sorry I don't think would feel comfortable sifting through a thread to cherry pick posts, plus everyone has different opinions and tolerances so they're free to feel and say whatever they want. That's why I recommended watching an episode so that you can form your own opinion and judge for yourself rather than be influenced into not watching something because of what other people say.
I wasn't asking you to point out which posters were overrating, I was asking what plot elements in specific did you figure were being overblown by the community and your opinion on said plot elements. Was trying to get a better overall understanding of the show since I plan to binge watch it once its over, which won't be for another half a year.

Also, I think it's fair to form an opinion on something nowadays based on word of mouth and opinions from trusted sources. I mean, that's how reviews of products normally work. I don't need to watch a movie like Gotti to know it's bad due to bad word of mouth. I don't need to play a game like Criminal Girls to know I wouldn't like it due to reviews pointing out elements of it I wouldn't like.

Lol, young adults don't want to join the SDF? Time to fund G.A.T.E S2.

Oct 25, 2017

That looks amazing! Such a vibrant visual style, with such designs bright with personality. I wonder how long this will actually be - it says it's a film but it's having a super-limited screening at only a handful of theaters which makes me think it could end up pretty short. At any rate, I hope it'll get a wider release in some format eventually so I can watch it, rather than being one of those random films that releases briefly before disappearing into oblivion. (Supposedly Gothicmade actually existed at one point...)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I guess harem isn't a sub genre, it's just a genre? Qualifies for your statement though.

I dunno, isekai has Log Horizon and Grimgar, and those shows aren't really alike at all.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Fairy Tail (2018) 20

The first half of this episode was the most hilarious, hype shit I've ever seen. Mashima's a flawed creator but I love how consistent he's been with the series so far. There's one big boss, and there's only been one since the character's introduction. You think some new guy will show up and be able to surpass them, but...nope. Introduced someone with the most absurd powers we've seen yet...dead in two seconds. Normally I'm not with that but there wasn't a bunch of build up so it worked.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Rinshi Ekoda-chan 03

Adorable short and an interesting take by the director of Shinchan movies Shigino Akira.

Status
Not open for further replies.