• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Goes after the current state of (some) games pretty hard.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty savage. Should have put videogamedunkey in the title though cause apparently no one will check this thread out otherwise lol

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Simpson's did it.

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
WOW

REMEMBER THE STUDIO THAT MADE _______________

I MEMBER

NOW CHECK OUT THEIR NEW FUCKING OPEN WORLD RPG FUCKING DUMBASS

x200

im honestly losing my mind rn im sorry in advance

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to be frank this is another video where i have no idea what dunkey is trying to say at the cost of any kind of humor is the point just "all these games are bleeding together for me and lacking a distinct identity" or what

the video game critics video implies that hes actually serious with all criticisms he makes to some extent so i cant just like toss it off as some stream of consciousness thing

this whole video doesnt work because he brings all these older games into it

the comparison points he uses are like so many and so diverse across more than one genre of games that it gets legitimately lost in a sea of comparisons of games that all set themselves apart

if hes trying to be reflective of aaa gaming today, why bring turok into it?

that game is about killing dinosaurs. a pretty far cry from far cry or really any one of these other fucking games he lists

its really fucking stupid to generalize an actually very diverse set of games that in actuality, maybe are only connected because you shoot a gun.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I got a chuckle out of the "walk across a map for 30 minutes before being killed by a tiny black pixel" bit. But is the video as a whole just commentary that shooters are popular?

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I got a chuckle out of the "walk across a map for 30 minutes before being killed by a tiny black pixel" bit. But is the video as a whole just commentary that shooters are popular?
Yeah, I have no idea what this video is trying to say other than there are a bunch of different first person games out and some of them are old and he doesn't really like the new trends.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
another thing that just blows my mind about this video in how baffingly poor it was executed is that it's not saying anything. theres no central point, no thesis. he's not talking about anything except how these games bleed together in the most mind-numbingly simple comparisons possible. both fallout 76 and metro take place in a post-apocalypse? truly they are just the same game.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get the ending... I dont get the point of the whole video.
Picking random parts out of one game, compare it to other games and come to the conclusion that all games are the same?!

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunkey should just stick to Nintendo games, nothing else seems to make him happy.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Love it. I, too, am utterly tired of 'AAA' shooters.

Just don't buy them. Like I'm tired of Marvel movies but people love them and they make lot's of money. There are plenty of other films for me to watch still being made, and I'd wager there are plenty of games being made for you to play.

Some genres are being under served in my opinion, but I don't think shooters being popular has a lot to do with that.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I don't think there's really an argument here. genre...exists? game design is iterative? different objects in a given medium bear similarities to each other? it feels like he's implying that all that's bad somehow, but I think he'd actually have to follow that thought through to really have a point.

I don't really expect dunkey to have some incredibly lucid critical project with his videos or something, but this video does feel in the vein of a lot of common under-considered gamer sentiment from the "pro-consumerist" crowd—hatred for reused assets without a consideration of why they're good and what they do, obsessive focus on a very superficial kind of 'novelty' or innovation, simultaneous distaste for GaaS elements and an unconditional expectation that games should work as both entertainment and software, etc.

not to overascribe meaning to the short goof video, it just seems to be a tidy encapsulation of a particular strain of thinking

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dont get the ending... I dont get the point of the whole video.
Picking random parts out of one game, compare it to other games and come to the conclusion that all games are the same?!
Mario is actually the same as Tetris if you squint very hard at the blocks.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I like Dunkey, but this was a bit aimless. He's trying to make a point about every game that focuses on gunplay... I guess? Not sure why Saints Row and Alan Wake had to be there.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'm kind of done with Dunkey. Trying to make some point, and taking Metro Exodus with it.
Those devs are a little bit more talented than Dunkey and they're not trying to be smart. No offence. :)

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
There is a lot of criticism in this video about how little improvement in certain areas of game design there was in the last 10-15 years and the ending was actually an instant force of everincreasing momentum that carried my enjoyment very well.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of criticism in this video about how little improvement in certain areas of game design there was in the last 10-15 years and the ending was actually an instant force of everincreasing momentum that carried my enjoyment very well.
I dont know how you can say this. Dunkey doesnt really make a point to make it so his video goes back in game development time, especially with how it suddenly goes back to anthem mid way through. Maybe the ending but he doesnt make a point to compare any of these games with modern ones so...?

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
to be frank this is another video where i have no idea what dunkey is trying to say at the cost of any kind of humor is the point just "all these games are bleeding together for me and lacking a distinct identity" or what

the video game critics video implies that hes actually serious with all criticisms he makes to some extent so i cant just like toss it off as some stream of consciousness thing

this whole video doesnt work because he brings all these older games into it

the comparison points he uses are like so many and so diverse across more than one genre of games that it gets legitimately lost in a sea of comparisons of games that all set themselves apart

if hes trying to be reflective of aaa gaming today, why bring turok into it?

that game is about killing dinosaurs. a pretty far cry from far cry or really any one of these other fucking games he lists

its really fucking stupid to generalize an actually very diverse set of games that in actuality, maybe are only connected because you shoot a gun.

He is saying he finds the genre oversaturated and stale

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what the overall point here was, but it did very much remind me how much the post apocalyptic trope does nothing for me so I got plenty of chuckles from "...things changed" as well as "engage in an uninpsired story that no one in the world cares about".

I always remember timeshift, something about its trailers where it's like "the noob player just shoots the guy, but the elite player does it like THIS" *following footage involves awkwardly trying to use the game's main gimmick in a way to justify it over just shooting a dude in front of you*, good times!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I guess he's at the point in his career when he can make money by just parroting substanceless half-arguments for a couple minutes