• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
You know what's really great that most people probably don't try? Chinese food from Japan. They make really good mapo tofu.
Oddly true. Went to a restaurant called Shisen Hanten in Singapore which is a Michelin star Sichuan place with a Japanese chef. Their mapo tofu beats any other I have eaten, even in prized restaurants in Chengdu.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I had a lot of Japanese style Mapo Tofu while growing up. I do think it's way to mild for my current tastes, even the "extra hot" versions are pretty mild. I think it's still pretty flavorful though, so I won't turn it down if it's offered.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
not a huge fan of japanese-style chinese food. I find it very soupy. the mabo tofu is ok i guess and obvs they love their fried dumplings

interestingly i'd never had xiaolongbao until I went to japan

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
There was this one Chinese place I went to in Tokyo. They had XL gyoza. It was so good. This is a normal size plate lol.

DrUD-NAVsAIBGd4.jpg

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I'll always associate congee (they call it okayu in Japan) with sickness. It's what my mom fed me or my sister when we were in bed from a fever or a GI tract disease. I actually do like how it tastes though especially if you stick some umeboshi in it.

Also I was kinda a sickly child so I ate it kinda a lot.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I had congee all week last week for pretty much every meal because I was down ill with chicken pox. Loved it. It was the one thing my white friends didn't take to when they visited Hong Kong, so not sure if it can be the new ramen. I mean, noodles pretty much exist in every cuisine.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
jook is so good. and also yeah it is 100% for me i have a slight cold food.

can make it heavy, can make it light, can just pour pepper and soup meat into it like my mum does or my prefered weird ascetic thing where it's more or less thin chicken soup with a hint of finely chopped chives or spring onions. mmmm-mmm.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Gross congeeeee grosssssssssssssss y'all :(

The texture is just too offputting for me. I drink good ole chicken soup when I'm sick.

Dec 24, 2017
The lack of garlic or chilies is a barrier to my enjoyment of Japanese cuisine. I like it, but I also know my palate has been indoctrinated for bolder flavors.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of garlic or chilies is a barrier to my enjoyment of Japanese cuisine. I like it, but I also know my palate has been indoctrinated for bolder flavors.

on the other hand, they pickle everything

also japanese will deep fry anything, but their way of deep frying it just looks nicer than americans

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could never get into them. Like, I always see them and think I want to eat them, but then it's like biting into a stick of grease.
Sounds like the places you've had them either suck at making them or you're eating their leftovers from the previous day. It should be airy like a croissant and taste like fried dough you'd get at a carnival, but without the powder on top.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
any of that stuff that is just dough and empty inside doesn't do it for me

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Congee is trendy now? The fuck? It's just quick easy as a morning meal with pickled and preserved stuff or pork floss.

Edit: What the heck is heritage grain.

Last edited: