• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda unenthusiastic about how BIG these games are, its becoming impossible to complete AC games without a crazy time sink, which for a series which has relatively regular releases seems a bit of a pain. I am sure I will get to it eventually as I do enjoy the games but I do wish they were tigher and more refined.

I am skeptical about the 4 player co op and hope it doesnt detract from the mission design, the games have been less about assassins and more about mercanary one man armies lately though so having a 4 man army instead will likely make little difference.

Don't buy it day one and just wait for a big sale on the gold edition.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Who asked for this? WHY?
Co-op in Unity was amazing. I'm happy they are bringing it back.

Other than that I'm not too excited. Odyssey is way too big for me and made me stop feeling like an assassin. The bigger RPG elements bug me as well. I'll most likely purchase this game on sale at some point like I did with Odyssey.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Not liking the idea of being in a group of 4. I like the concept of being a lone assassin working in the shadows. Although recent titles haven't been all that stealthy, to be fair.
Oh shit I just realized....imagine sneaking around with 3 other companions trying to accomplish a mission eww.

I guess Ghost of Tsushima will give me my solo stealth game feast.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
- The hidden blade is back and is far more customizable in terms of cosmetics. Can be upgraded to kill in one stab
I remember watching one of the games in this new formula and knew the series wasn't for me anymore when they snuck up on a guy to stealth kill only for a number to pop up from them and began fighting like nothing happened. Of all the things to change why that?

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I remember watching one of the games in this new formula and knew the series wasn't for me anymore when they snuck up on a guy to stealth kill only for a number to pop up from them and began fighting like nothing happened. Of all the things to change why that?
? You can pretty much one shot every enemies in AC with the hidden blade, it's really not a problem.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
? You can pretty much one shot every enemies in AC with the hidden blade, it's really not a problem.
Not in Odyssey. Been a while so I can't remember for Origins.

If you decided to dump points into the assassination tree and upgrade your critical strikes ability, then you could assassinate 90% of enemies with one shot. But there was still that 10% of high health enemies that couldn't be insta killed unless you were late into your levelling and had great gear to boost your abilities.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
What does this mean:

Levelling is overhauled to allow players to improve skillsets to gain experience, like in Skyrim. As a result, level locking regions and content is gone.

- so does that mean you will level up skills that you use like in Elder Scrolls? Does it also mean that everything is scaled 100%? Not a fan of scaling at all though.

As to the weapon durability, if it's like BOTW then I'll hate it but I'd still like to hear a bit more about it before I say for sure.

Most everything else is welcome news.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still sceptical of Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed coming in the same year.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I dont mind weapon durability. Just because Nintendo botched it with BoTW doesnt mean Ubisoft will.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
This sounds like fun. Been a while since I played an AC title. This might pull me back into it.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Not in Odyssey. Been a while so I can't remember for Origins.

If you decided to dump points into the assassination tree and upgrade your critical strikes ability, then you could assassinate 90% of enemies with one shot. But there was still that 10% of high health enemies that couldn't be insta killed unless you were late into your levelling and had great gear to boost your abilities.
In Odyssey too. I'm playing it right now and with only 5 points in the Assassin skill tree I pretty much one shotted nearly everyone in a major outpost (I'm playing on hard).
Yes some of higher ranked enemies cannot be one shotted but it's perfectly fine in term of balancing. And with a critical strike you still removes 90% of their health so yeah it's really not an issue.
The hidden blade system in Odyssey is very good imo.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
"All of Northern Europe". Damn, Odyssey was already too big for its shallow and repetitive gameplay. I don't have 150h to complete an AC game.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So why do they pretend this has anything to do with assassins anymore?

Aug 13, 2019
- Levelling is overhauled to allow players to improve skillsets to gain experience, like in Skyrim. As a result, level locking regions and content is gone.

This is actually the most interesting bit for me. I found exploration in Odyssey to be far too restricted due to level requirements. Another thing I'd like is to remove unnecessary map Icons permanently in the menu. Basically I want the map to function more like BOTW's.

I've also been wondering if traditional leveling is beginning to stifle game design as more and more games incorporate "RPG Mechanics". I'd certainly like to see more games (Particularly AAA) take alternative leveling methods instead of the typical [exp threshold= increased str,def,health,etc]. I've always kind of liked how Skyrim leveled skills by having the player use them.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Again with the fucking bird drones. Cool idea in Origins, but now its played out. Yep, every assassin had a bird buddy now.

I dont even feel like an assassin anymore in these games.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We went from game with amazing characters and game with variety of missions to games with 3 types of missions that are repeating and characters you mostly see once and forget.

I'm sorry but Bayek and Kassandra are great characters, they had great stories and were unique to experience I have to say I don't understand this line of logic. Bayek is easily as fascinating as many previous AC protagonists. And as a person who just recently re-played the first 3 AC games I think you might be forgetting how much "variety" the missions have in those games. They are basically the same stealth missions ending in an assassination over and over and over for 3 games. I'd argue there is more variety of things to do in Odyssey than in the first 3 AC games combined.

Odyssey was an absolutely garbage Assassin's Creed game even if it was a decent historical-fantasty RPG.

This is just a bad take. Odyssey was not "absolutely garbage" in any context. The game was a commercial and critical success. Your personal opinion doesn't get to color the reality of that sir.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It all sounds cool in terms of kitchen sink AAA design, the kind of game you can create with an army of developers around the globe working on your IP. But the soul of the series has been lost in the weeds for years, not expecting this to be the focused historical assassin sim I keep hoping the series wil evoke again someday.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but Bayek and Kassandra are great characters, they had great stories and were unique to experience I have to say I don't understand this line of logic. Bayek is easily as fascinating as many previous AC protagonists. And as a person who just recently re-played the first 3 AC games I think you might be forgetting how much "variety" the missions have in those games. They are basically the same stealth missions ending in an assassination over and over and over for 3 games. I'd argue there is more variety of things to do in Odyssey than in the first 3 AC games combined.

This is just a bad take. Odyssey was not "absolutely garbage" in any context. The game was a commercial and critical success. Your personal opinion doesn't get to color the reality of that sir.
Its fact that it was a bad Assassin's Creed game. It barely featured any of the core tenants of the series and those it did feature it did poorly.

You don't even get a fucking hidden blade.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
FkCVg0j.gif

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The whole weapon durability thing is something I'm not a fan of. If it's something like The Witcher 3 then I won't mind that much. My least favorite aspect of BOTW was the constant search for weapons because they would just break at the worst times.