Favourite moment of Season 3 part 2

• My soldiers, rage! My soldiers scream! My soldiers, fight!

Votes: 108 22.3%
  • Levi vs Beast Titan

Votes: 157 32.4%
  • Armin's sacrifice

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • Levi's choice

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Basement reveal (Marley, Titan history)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • Shingeki no Kyojin

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • The sea

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So if Dina was able to activate the coordinate in Eren, does that mean Christa can also do the same? They just haven't figured it out yet?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
When I say Historia has royal blood, i mean, Historia has Fritz blood.
Not just Karl Fritz blood, the man who built the walls, but now we know it's something possibly more important.

She has the blood of Ymir Fritz

So if Dina was able to activate the coordinate in Eren, does that mean Christa can also do the same? They just haven't figured it out yet?
Rod knew. It remains to be seen if Eren learned this through the memories we saw him have in that dream

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US

;)

edit: I'm not saying it'll happen, but with the information we have, it's a valid conclusion.
So good that we can finally talk about this stuff. Manga readers and anime watchers are more or less on the same page now. But I still wouldn't recommed anime watchers to google stuff.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
What is Zeke's power? Becoming a beast that talks mad shit after getting bitchslapped by Levi? While running away. God, I hate Zeke even more after this episode. Fuck that guy.
Yeah, I was kind of expecting Zeke's ulterior motives to eventually paint him as a more morally grey character doing it for the "greater good". So it was interesting to have a twist that pretty much cements him as a turd.

Oct 26, 2017
In general terms, I can say I was pretty happy with the basement reveal. So many mystery based stories (Lost, BSG, etc ) went bust eventually, or it was clear the writers were making up shit as the series progressed. Others mystery works, when the truth is finally revealed, result a bit underwhelming and you just say 'oh... ok' and end up saying how the journey was more important than the destination.
This is one of the few times where the wait was worth it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Really awesome episode, can't really tell who was in the wrong here since both eldia and marley are cruel, it seems like a never ending conflict.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Really awesome episode, can't really tell who was in the wrong here since both eldia and marley are cruel, it seems like a never ending conflict.

Well throughout history it has always been about individual people and political decisions, more than it has been about Team Good vs Team Evil. There are terrible people and amazing people in every country, I don't think choosing a team is the point here.

Few stories deeply question that. This is one of them.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
When did we start calling it the Donkey Titan lol
I have no idea, but I'm down with it
I could have sworn I saw it in here, though Mule Titan would make more sense I guess.

I'll take credit for this one:
okay, who's seen War for the Planet of the Apes? lol
Donkey.
Screen-Shot-2019-04-28-at-3-31-42-PM.png

Lol if you've seen that movie, you'll know about the characters called Donkeys. They are the apes that betrayed Caesar and sided with the humans:

Under J. Wesley McCullough's command, most of the donkeys serve as mere slaves, being used to do their bidding like carrying mortar launchers, ammunition, guns and helping move equipment.

So, I thought it was a very fitting name considering this character also walks on all fours.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
We don't know which side of the story is true, tho. And the only ones shown to be really cruel for now are Marleyans.
Seems pretty likely that the eldians did kill a bunch of people because otherwise there wouldn't be a war between them.
Well throughout history it has always been about individual people and political decisions, more than it has been about Team Good vs Team Evil. There are terrible people and amazing people in every country, I don't think choosing a team is the point here.

Few stories deeply question that. This is one of them.
I agree that's pretty much what the show is going for, we are meant to root Eren and Levi but in reality they are both fighting a war that they didn't even start.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This episode was amazing!
When I first saw this guy, I thought he's too similar to the titan that ate Eren, but maybe that's just a coincidence:

5klt_2.jpg

Then saw this guy and he was familiar too:

zzeq_444.jpg

And then another one and... :O
Then when I thought about Dina Fritz, only one female titan came to my mind and... Wow!
Did Eren kill all of them? :(

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight, maybe it was for the best that Erwin didn't have to understand the implications the basement reveals.

Not seeing a big deal with the Nazi inspiration. If anything, it's a cheap way to say, "these guys are the baddies". Until they turn out to not be or something.

JaRonin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Every episode for the past few weeks have been blowing my mind recently. Good God....

I said fuggit and started reading the Manga after I watched the Hero episode and I'm starting the 4th Colossal edition this week. Does anyone have an ETA on the 5th?

BASED Isayama!

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I totally think most of the things weren't planned, but at some point in the middle of the series (when he started the uprising arc?) he started to design where the series was going and fleshed out the central mystery and made it fit retro-actively nicely to things that had already happened, like Eren using the Coordinate in that moment. Note that by the time the animed showed this part the manga was much more advanced so they made it more clear what happened (there was a little spark in the touch moment), that didn't happen in the manga.
There is a lot of little stuff that fits. It is just that his art style has gone from bad to amazing, so he is also taking the time to fix his art errors.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of little stuff that fits. It is just that his art style has gone from bad to amazing, so he is also taking the time to fix his art errors.

I like how pronounced and interesting looking the "Shifter marks" are now. The change for those from the anime season 1 to 2 was massive as well.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if we're going to get a villain that tries to pull a Naruto and unite the Titans into the one original Ymir Titan. (Although I don't even know if a Titan Matryoshka doll would even work or make a difference.)
We will be getting a Kaguya villain that shows up the in the last few episodes and we are going to love it.lol

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The depiction of the Titan war looks pretty damn cool, wouldn't be against a mini series set during this time.

ZjMH7MX.jpg

I mean, look at the beast at the top of the image. Almost as big as a damn Titan.And Titans rocking helmets and shields looks cool as fuck.

And maybe it's to save the budget, but I found it interesting how the Titans shown to be in the wall look almost identical.

1yqNRTi.jpg

Maybe a crazy reach, but is a new power we haven't seen yet? Titan cloning?

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is Zeke's power? Becoming a beast that talks mad shit after getting bitchslapped by Levi? While running away. God, I hate Zeke even more after this episode. Fuck that guy.

Apart from super accurate throw ability ( that kills all soldier ), he can also turn people into Titan and control them.

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

I'm a little lost after this episode. So who is Dina Fritz and why is she important? It was moving really fast and I think I must have missed something. I get she was with Grisha, got titan'd and is also the one who ate erens mom which is kind of coincidence but I'm not getting what else was implied.

I'm also pretty confused about the titans in general at the moment. My current understanding (may be wrong) is that theres actually hardly any titans. We have the established ones, the original ones which were also just Grisha's crew and that's it save for more general mindless titans which aren't really that big of a threat anymore given what the scouts have dealt with in the past. I'd assumed the titans were available in hoards but the numbers now seem very finite and that we've actually seen most of them.

She is the royal blood, which is similar to Christa. Royal blood is important as their has original Ymir bloodline that can achieve Founding titan power once they become Titan shifter. There is no explaination about what happen on mainland, but I assume that anyone who is royal bloodline will get killed ( hence the owl try to stop Grisha from telling that guy that his wife is the royal or something ).

From what reveal today, it's clear that mindless titans are man made, so definitely limit number. But you can't assume that everyone in this episode is all the titan we see before. It can only be implied that there are as many mindless titan as people who get punished by injected and kick out into the island. Ymir episoe also show the same thing, so it seems to be some sort of punishment by the main land.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
The depiction of the Titan war looks pretty damn cool, wouldn't be against a mini series set during this time.

ZjMH7MX.jpg

I mean, look at the beast at the top of the image. Almost as big as a damn Titan.And Titans rocking helmets and shields looks cool as fuck.

And maybe it's to save the budget, but I found it interesting how the Titans shown to be in the wall look almost identical.

1yqNRTi.jpg

Think that's just for the sake of the art. Pretty sure the wall titans are all distinct. But I could be wrong.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Does Zeke have some control over Titans due to his royal blood? Or is that just the Beast Titan's ability? Also Zeke and Historia are lowkey cousins lol

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For an exposition dump that was pretty alright. I had already read most of the backstory years ago but it was still neat to watch it animated. I'm a tad confused on the chain of events with the royals on Paradise. Or rather their actions and motivations, more like.

And what's the point of jailing Eren and Mikasa and then (apparently) putting them on trial.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fair reminder for manga readers: please don't get too excited and hint at things you shouldn't.

Not saying that this has happened so far, but, you know.
lol last week some guy had the nerve to spoil that Zeke was Eren's half-brother and pass it off as a "guess."

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

1yqNRTi.jpg

That's just romantic imagery. We know what the wall titans (at least one of them) look like, and it ain't pretty.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I don't get is how old Grisha was. I never expected Eren to be Erwin's...half-uncle.

I'm pretty unclear in general about Zeke's timeline of how he ended up within the city's walls as a teacher, him leaving, and when he acquired the Beast Titan.

What? o_O Erwins father was a "simple" teacher.

Edit: Also your second sentence. Dude you are confused af haha

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
When I say Historia has royal blood, i mean, Historia has Fritz blood.
Not just Karl Fritz blood, the man who built the walls, but now we know it's something possibly more important.

She has the blood of Ymir Fritz

Rod knew. It remains to be seen if Eren learned this through the memories we saw him have in that dream
;)

edit: I'm not saying it'll happen, but with the information we have, it's a valid conclusion.
So good that we can finally talk about this stuff. Manga readers and anime watchers are more or less on the same page now. But I still wouldn't recommed anime watchers to google stuff.

Hmm. I feel I'm missing something. What's the difference between royal and Fritz blood? Fritz blood is Reiss blood?

Yeah, I was kind of expecting Zeke's ulterior motives to eventually paint him as a more morally grey character doing it for the "greater good". So it was interesting to have a twist that pretty much cements him as a turd.

I had hoped this was the case too, but nope. He's a pure piece of shit through and through by the looks of things. Sold his family out and then joined the Marleyans to recapture the Coordinate.

Apart from super accurate throw ability ( that kills all soldier ), he can also turn people into Titan and control them.

I mean, it wasn't so much super accurate. He was throwing hundreds of projectiles and with the Survey Corp doing a 'Rickon' and charging in a straight line, he was unlikely to miss.

I didn't know he could turn people into Titans though, that's a pretty cool power. OP as fuck though.

Think that's just for the sake of the art. Pretty sure the wall titans are all distinct. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Fun to speculate though.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
What? o_O Erwins father was a "simple" teacher.

Edit: Also your second sentence. Dude you are confused af haha
Wtf are you taking about?
I guess I completely misremembered stuff from S2. Oops? No wonder I've been confused, I guess. I definitely thought it was hinted at for some reason, and could have sworn I saw other people say the same thing. Maybe it was the vague similarities in appearance.

Oct 25, 2017
lol last week some guy had the nerve to spoil that Zeke was Eren's half-brother and pass it off as a "guess."
In his defense the show was not subtle about it, not to mention it's not that easy to find a person that knows who Grisha really is and his parenting methods. Zeke looks like a blonde older Grisha and Eren looks like his mother.
Reiss are actually Fritz, they changed their family name and put a puppet king so the could rule from the shadows.
Funny enough in Paradis the puppet king actually has the last name of Fritz.

Erigu

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The only thing I don't get is how old Grisha was. I never expected Eren to be Erwin's...half-uncle.
I'm pretty unclear in general about Zeke's timeline of how he ended up within the city's walls as a teacher, him leaving, and when he acquired the Beast Titan.
Er. Zeke isn't Erwin's father.

Zeke is the Beast Titan who showed up in season 2 and clearly didn't even know what the ODM gear was, i.e. that was his first time visiting the walls.
Erwin's father was just some teacher inside the walls. And he's very, very dead.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I guess I completely misremembered stuff from S2. Oops? No wonder I've been confused, I guess. I definitely thought it was hinted at for some reason, and could have sworn I saw other people say the same thing. Maybe it was the vague similarities in appearance.
Don't feel bad, I had the same confusion when reading because Erwin's father looks damn near identical to Zeke.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got to say, to me as an European it is quite sickening to read how casually some of you are talking about "race" here - particularly in this context of heavy WW2/concentration camp/ghetto inspired imagery.
I have not watched the english subs, but from what I saw, I don't think any severe genetic differences between the Marley and the Eldians were implied, at leas nothing that would qualify as a biological race. It came of more like the Marley either never tried to injecting their own citizens with this stuff (for obvious reasons). The only difference that seemed to exist is the "royal blood", and that is not a "race" feature... and also a whole nother can of worms as blood metaphors are quite problematic in itself...
When at first the anti-Semitism accusations arose here, I thought they were quite laughable - and they are, at least the way they were framed back than. But when you look at the really subtle stuff and the context... there might be more to it. Although I assume, that neither the author nor the viewers nor the members of this community would know much about the dog-whistles of yesteryear, and what kind of subtle messages the Nazis used to put into their propaganda films in the 30s and 40s.

What does you being European has to do with anything?

And damn, amazing episode. A shame I had this part spoiled by myself a while ago lol

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's clear imagery from that period but I don't see what's particularly problematic here. What was showed in the last epiosde might lead to a critic of propaganda but nothing really anti-semitic.

Also race in the US does not have the same meaning or use than in Europe.

I didn't say it was anti-semitic, just that it (probably unintentionally) contains a lot of questionable themes, which in the context of world war 2/nazi germany can be seen as quite problematic.

"Race" might not have the same use in peoples minds, but words are powerful, and that word in particular comes with a very troublesome connotation, because the way it is used still implies differences based on physical/biological appearance and creates categories of people based on completely outdated and dangerous ideas. And I think the US would be better off without it.

It is kinda weird how "liberals" can be so progressive when it comes to lgtb and other social issues, but would not even dare to question the use of such an obviously problematic word. Meta discussions are probably to hard, I reckon.

Before you get sickened any further, here's a screencap from this very episode:

k2ITpDj.jpg

People didn't randomly talk about races, that was actually mentioned in the Marleyan history books this episode. And it came up previously in AoT already, in several Bertholt & Reiner scenes.

As I said, I do not watch the english subs and actually... no, it was not mentioned, not the way you seem to believe at least. It's just another example for how people from different countries may get to watch the same show but what they get to see may not always be the same content. Also only goes to show how ingrained the word "race" is in the US, because that's not how other language subs translated the japanese 民族 (minzoku - tribe, people, ethnicity...).

What does you being European has to do with anything?
[...]

because most Europeans have learned by now why the word race and what it implies should be loathed... And unlike for Americans who so far failed to catch up on that part of history, there is really no excuse to defend its use.

edit: but yeah, I realize that there is no point in discussing something like this here, hence... so please excuse me

Ah, you are one of those guys who claim Europe is post racial and definitely not racist at all. Nope. Gotcha.

and you are appaerently one of those guys who lack any reading comprehension. Gotcha.

Last edited:

PER_Soul

Apr 2, 2019
Lima, Peru
Hmm. I feel I'm missing something. What's the difference between royal and Fritz blood? Fritz blood is Reiss blood?

I had hoped this was the case too, but nope. He's a pure piece of shit through and through by the looks of things. Sold his family out and then joined the Marleyans to recapture the Coordinate.

I mean, it wasn't so much super accurate. He was throwing hundreds of projectiles and with the Survey Corp doing a 'Rickon' and charging in a straight line, he was unlikely to miss.

I didn't know he could turn people into Titans though, that's a pretty cool power. OP as fuck though.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Fun to speculate though.
Again I just want to remind everyone that we will se
the side of the 7 year forced into a military program as a mole by his parents before crusifying him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Erwins father was confirmed dead by the Interior Police guys in Season Part 1. They bragged about killing Historia's mum, Erwin's dad and some people in a hot air balloon. (Armin's parents?)

Last edited:

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it was anti-semitic, just that it (probably unintentionally) contains a lot of questionable themes, which in the context of world war 2/nazi germany can be seen as quite problematic.

"Race" might not have the same use in peoples minds, but words are powerful, and that word in particular comes with a very troublesome connotation, because the way it is used still implies differences based on physical/biological appearance and creates categories of people based on completely outdated and dangerous ideas. And I think the US would be better off without it.

It is kinda weird how "liberals" can be so progressive when it comes to lgtb and other social issues, but would not even dare to question the use of such an obviously problematic word. Meta discussions are probably to hard, I reckon.

As I said, I do not watch the english subs and actually... no, it was not mentioned, not the way you seem to believe at least. It's just another example for how people from different countries may get to watch the same show but what they get to see may not always be the same content. Also only goes to show how ingrained the word "race" is in the US, because that's not how other language subs translated the japanese 民族 (minzoku - tribe, people, ethnicity...).

because most Europeans have learned by now why the word race and what it implies should be loathed... And unlike for Americans who so far failed to catch up on that part of history, there is really no excuse to defend its use.

edit: but yeah, I realize that there is no point in discussing something like this here, hence... so please excuse me

Ah, you are one of those guys who claim Europe is post racial and definitely not racist at all. Nope. Gotcha.