• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 14, 2017
Because it's going to be a distraction that is going to drag her down and be a huge media circus no matter what.

This isn't some guy smoking pot in college or something, he was convicted for dealing heroin. The exact same problem would exist if she was a man and her husband was a woman.

The situation is more complex but it's irrelevant because it's hard to explain why the husband of a potential prime minister was involved in the distribution and dealing of a drug that just about everyone agrees is a huge net negative to society. It's not going to play well with the majority of people and people are going to judge her for not ditching him long ago.
He was convicted and released years before he met her. I'm inclined to agree that it could be a headache for Opposition Leader or PM Plibersek in a way that it isn't for Deputy Plibersek, but let's at least get the story straight.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is Dutton a super good local member (apart from his faults as, you know, a human being) or is his constituency just super blue? Or was GetUp that annoying locally?

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is Dutton a super good local member (apart from his faults as, you know, a human being) or is his constituency just super blue? Or was GetUp that annoying locally?
A lot of blue chip suburbs are in his constituency, thus money and the political traps that go with it.

Edit: I should add the other half of suburbs in the electorate are small/medium sized business oriented.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

I think it was just the State swing and the resources the party threw into protecting Queensland. Dutton I think also has at least some semblance of how he's perceived; he voted Yes on the SSM plebiscite.

Contrast this with Abbott who had no clue wtf he was doing.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Jim Chalmers may be Labor Right, but he seems to be the most qualified to deal with the Queensland/economic anxiety problems that the ALP is facing

There's really no difference between the upcoming tax rebates and Rudd's $900 stimulus, other than framing.
That's a pretty good point. It's like they're trying to sneak good economic policy past the electorate XD

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Let's face it. We can kill two birds with one stone here. Let WA secede like we've always wanted to. That way Canberra won't keep bleeding them dry for the GST and enough Liberal seats will be taken out of the rest of the country that Labor will be a minority government.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty ambivalent about Albo but Bowen would be the biggest self own in labor's history since Saturday

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Stephen Conroy says Labor have to "step back from the demonisation of coal".

You love to see it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like House of Reps is set for a gov majority at 78 seats

Absolutely brutal election.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Corangamite still hasn't been fucking decided yet. Henderson is emblematic of the LNP as a whole: Do nothing, claim you've done heaps and that you'll do more of the same in the future.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
The Macquarie seat seems like it's really close (only 50 votes between the two parties). But yeah it seems like LNP will end up with 77 seats at the very least.
I'm in the Macquarie area and noticed a massive amount of locals on Facebook push in the last few days for the Libs over the made up 'Death Tax' crap. I gave up setting them right as they just ignored it. People my age worried they'd lose 40% when their last surviving parent died, older people worried they'd not have as much to give their kids when they die. All made up and they fell for it. My area also has a lot of old people so was 60-70% Liberal, though I heard a lot of "They're all as bad as each other" from middle aged people. Fucking cretins.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Yeah, there was a whole lot of nasty social media lying going on, but Medicare. When I was in line the old couple infront of me were concerned about death taxes as well. The liberal person, a senator, did nothing to dissuade them.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
It sucks because a death tax is good policy.
Yeah, in the UK it's 40% of everything over Ā£325k. Means those with modest savings aren't effected but those with larger estates have to pay, unless you're really rich in which case you can find loopholes to pay sweet fuck all. Guessing here would have the threshold higher considering the silly house prices. Set it at a level that won't touch most people and it shouldn't get too much opposition.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
no it isn't,
it's a regressive form of taxation that taxes the already paid taxes

taxes should only be paid once
Nah, someone is profiting from someone else's previous fortune. Just because it's from a relative doesn't mean it isn't income. Yes taxes were paid by someone at some point but the same could be said of any form of financial transfer, hell the money you spend in a shop was already taxed but the shop owner has to declare the profit and pay taxes on it again. Whilst I think certain concessions should be allowed for family homes and so forth I also think wealth that's transferred shouldn't be done so for free, it just encourages hoarding of wealth without penalty. I'd go much further and have a tiered system hitting much higher percentages for those who have tens of millions or more in the bank.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Nah, someone is profiting from someone else's previous fortune. Just because it's from a relative doesn't mean it isn't income. Yes taxes were paid by someone at some point but the same could be said of any form of financial transfer, hell the money you spend in a shop was already taxed but the shop owner has to declare the profit and pay taxes on it again. Whilst I think certain concessions should be allowed for family homes and so forth I also think wealth that's transferred shouldn't be done so for free, it just encourages hoarding of wealth without penalty. I'd go much further and have a tiered system hitting much higher percentages for those who have tens of millions or more in the bank.
Not every hand me down is wealth, especially with increased cost of living

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Not every hand me down is wealth, especially with increased cost of living
Hence why you have a tiered approach. People getting less will pay less or even nothing. In the UK people receiving under Ā£325k pay nothing, they pay 40% of anything amount over that. Australia would need different figures but it could still be weighted to have no impact on the average person. This isn't about taxing death, it's about bringing some of the Riches hoarded assets back into the system.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
no it isn't,
it's a regressive form of taxation that taxes the already paid taxes

taxes should only be paid once

It is necessary if we want to maintain any kind of facade that we live in anything but a de facto aristocracy of capital. The existence inheritance-funded failchildren is incompatible with meritocracy, which is ostensibly the ideal of liberalism, as well as being grossly unjust.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, in the UK it's 40% of everything over Ā£325k. Means those with modest savings aren't effected but those with larger estates have to pay, unless you're really rich in which case you can find loopholes to pay sweet fuck all. Guessing here would have the threshold higher considering the silly house prices. Set it at a level that won't touch most people and it shouldn't get too much opposition.
Ā£325k is a ridiculously low threshold. It'd have to be at least $2m here if not significantly more.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
The median wealth in Australia is about $190k, which is a lot higher than the UK, but still like, what, a quarter of Ā£325k?
Obviously that's not representative of median wealth at retirement or death though.

EDIT: Also, it seems that's US$190k, so actually $265k dollarydoos or Ā£144k.

Last edited:

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously that's not representative of median wealth at retirement or death though.

EDIT: Also, it seems that's US$190k, so actually $265k dollarydoos or Ā£144k.

It's about $2.4m for the top quintile of retirees: https://theconversation.com/who-are-the-wealthy-retirees-targeted-in-labors-plans-94173

Still think there should be a progressive tax starting from closer to the median though, and the upper echelons should taxed out of existence: use it or lose it basically.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
It's about $2.4m for the top quintile of retirees: https://theconversation.com/who-are-the-wealthy-retirees-targeted-in-labors-plans-94173

Still think there should be a progressive tax starting from closer to the median though, and the upper echelons should taxed out of existence: use it or lose it basically.
That article indicates the median wealth of retirees is $636k. You're gonna start riots if a flat rate estate tax starts at the median, but a progressive tax starting from near there is probably sound.

EDIT: Whoops, $636k for retired couples. Individuals will be lower.

Nov 14, 2017
Throwing in some kind of exemption or progressivity regarding the "family home" (that can be made up through tax on sale later) could in theory deal with the bulk of the issues coming from inflated estate values and the sentimental side of things. But given people were freaking out about an estate tax that doesn't exist...

Ashtrax

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

iWKad22.jpg

Well, looks like my electorate, Chisholm is finally tilting to the Liberals with the postal votes... Sigh.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
It is necessary if we want to maintain any kind of facade that we live in anything but a de facto aristocracy of capital. The existence inheritance-funded failchildren is incompatible with meritocracy, which is ostensibly the ideal of liberalism, as well as being grossly unjust.
Liberalism and a true meritocracy are largely incompatible because merely being raised by wealthy parents confers a number of advantages. That said I'm for an inheritance tax and against children being raised by the state

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sceptical that meritocracy (which iirc was originally coined in a mocking way) is possible or even desirable (there's an uncomfortable undercurrent of social Darwinism inherent to it) but it's what the centre right always insists we live in.

šŸ˜¬

xania

Oct 27, 2017

How on Earth do you say all of that out loud and not immediately realise what an idiot you've been? People who don't give a shit voting Liberal because they've always voted Liberal is saddening but understandable - actually wanting change and caring about politics enough to have opinions that lean left and still voting Liberal though is just... why. How!

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
How on Earth do you say all of that out loud and not immediately realise what an idiot you've been? People who don't give a shit voting Liberal because they've always voted Liberal is saddening but understandable - actually wanting change and caring about politics enough to have opinions that lean left and still voting Liberal though is just... why. How!
This is sadly incredibly common in my neck of country Australia. I know many people who lean much more towards the policies of the ALP and even the Greens over the Coalition but who recoil at the thought of voting for anybody but the Nat/Libs.