• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Edit 1/10/23: After discussions with multiple era members, I would like to use the top of the OP to bring awareness to comments made by James Cameron that have been problematic.

The first can be seen here where James Cameron talks about "how much cultural appropriation is too much" :

www.resetera.com

Indigenous critics say Avatar: The Way of Water is "horrible" (UPDATE: New James Cameron Interview, see Threadmarks)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cnn-indigenous-people-are-criticizing-the-%E2%80%98avatar%E2%80%99-sequel-for-relying-on-tired-tropes-up-cnbc-interviews-lakota-representative-its-redface.667690/ Specifically this...

The second is where James Cameron says the driving force of the franchise was based on the idea that "if the Lakota Sioux could see the future they would have fought harder" and saying that the Lakota Sioux "were a hopeless and dead-end society":
www.resetera.com

CNN: Indigenous people are criticizing the ‘Avatar’ sequel for relying on tired tropes (UP: CNBC interviews Lakota representative "It's redface")

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/22/entertainment/avatar-2-way-of-water-indigenous-boycott-cec/index.html Good on CNN for bringing this discussion back on the table. Also that Cameron quote doesn't get any better no matter how much I've seen it the last few days.

The third is James Cameron saying "I am trying to make everyone a white messiah", as well as additional comments that fetisize and other indigenous people under a belief that they are more in touch with nature than him (also known as Noble Savage):
www.resetera.com

Indigenous critics say Avatar: The Way of Water is "horrible" (UPDATE: New James Cameron Interview, see Threadmarks)

Reminder part 3 is basically in the can so even if Mister Good Intentions decided to do more than listen in one ear and out the other, adjustments are for part 4... plenty of time to oops forget for the 2nd time this conversation happened

Discussions are currently being had in the Indigenous Critics thread on a new title for the OT. It will be edited again once more people chime in on a title.

avatar-the-way-of-water-poster-960x1200.jpg

Directed By​
Written By​
Production Companies​
Distributed By​
James Cameron​
James Cameron, Rick Jaffa, & Amanda Silver​
Lightstorm Entertainment, TSG Entertainment, & 20th Century Studios​
Walt Disney Studios​
North American Release Date​
European Release Date​
Australia & New Zealand Release Date​
December 15th (Mexico), December 16th (United States, Canada)​
December 14th (Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden), December 15th (Portugal), December 16th (Spain, UK, Ireland, Iceland)​
December 15th​

And Starring...
Sam Worthington
Zoe Saldaña
Stephen Lang
Kate Winslet
Cliff Curtis
James Flatters
Britain Dalton
Trinity Jo-Li Bliss
Bailey Bass
Filip Geljo
Duane Evans Jr.
CCH Pounder
CJ Jones

Jack Champion
Joel David Moore
Dileep Rao
Matt Gerald
Alicia Vela-Bailey
Giovanni Ribisi
Edie Falco
Brendan Cowell
& Jemaine Clement

Plot:
"Jake Sully lives with his newfound family formed on the planet of Pandora. Once a familiar threat returns to finish what was previously started, Jake must work with Neytiri and the army of the Na'vi race to protect their planet."

Spoiler Policy:

This thread will allow for open spoilers.

Trailers:
The Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness Trailer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Gx8wiNbs8
The Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Trailer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MyW72ELq0
The Strange World Trailer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5F8MOz_IDw

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
one thing's for sure

the box office threads are gonna be bangers once again

big jimbo and his blue aliens vs purple alien man with the ballsack chin vs three spidermans from different eras

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations for this are at top gun maverick blockbuster levels or higher whewww. So hyped

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I already got myself caught up in the avatar betting thread and posting as Faithless, that I don't think it will be a hit comparable to the first one.

Still I'll post the gif

6680f81a67ddff0a7bbccnmetx.gif

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Ticket sales already beating MoM in India, and on pace to beat Lake Changjin II in China (which is 2022's 8th highest gross with $626 million in China). Going to be an absolute monster

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Even the OT title is bait lol

Bout to be a wild few weeks

I will deny any accusations that this was a months long evil plot to ensure everyone saying "this was not a culturally impactful film" has to see this title at least 3 weeks in Etectera as the movie has a massive opening weekend and passes 2 million thanks to China and India.

There is no evil plots here. Just general excitement from all.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Have my tickets for IMAX this thursday.. Gonna rewatch the first movie soon because I honestly dunno what it is about anymore

Do need to travel like a hour because we don't have any IMAX cinemas in my neighborhood

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I'm really liking all these Avatar threads.

Can't wait for some new bad ass Quaritch moments.

One of the most bizarre things I have seen on the Internet was the comments section of a YouTube clip from the first film of the "How does it feel to betray your own race?" scene with Quaritch and Jake.

Hundreds/thousands of comments, and they were split 50/50 between Warhammer "Deus Vult! Kill the Xenos!" Memes and apparently sincere comments agreeing with Quaritch, who had interpreted the film as some kind of tragedy, and that the humans would surely come back and triumphantly nuke the site from orbit in the sequel.

It made me really re-evaluate why Cameron had felt the need to make the message so seemingly clear and obvious.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most bizarre things I have seen on the Internet was the comments section of a YouTube clip from the first film of the "How does it feel to betray your own race?" scene with Quaritch and Jake.

Hundreds/thousands of comments, and they were split 50/50 between Warhammer "Deus Vult! Kill the Xenos!" Memes and apparently sincere comments agreeing with Quaritch, who had interpreted the film as some kind of tragedy, and that the humans would surely come back and triumphantly nuke the site from orbit in the sequel.

It made me really re-evaluate why Cameron had felt the need to make the message so seemingly clear and obvious.
In Metropolis, Fritz Lang has imagery of workers literally being sacrificed to the machinery of their masters. Sometimes you just got to throw subtlety out the window and deliver a thematic sledgehammer.

Oct 22, 2020
Okay so I've only been lightly following this Avatar stuff for the past few months.

What is the ideal format/theater type/etc. to see this in, and is there a full list of theaters where one can find said format?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

IMAX 3D for me. Wanted to go all in and do HFR as well, but they're only showing that version on regular screens near me unfortunately :/ still stoked, it's been too long

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

IMAX 3D for me. Wanted to go all in and do HFR as well, but they're only showing that version on regular screens near me unfortunately :/ still stoked, it's been too long

Yeah, that's weird. Cameron even said that HFR in 2D is pointless. You sure that Imax doesn't support HFR?

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
I am seeing it Dolby Cinema in 2D. I have to go after kids in bed and the only showing at the closest theater that would allow me to get home before 1am with this movies long runtime. Disappointed I won't see it in 3D but at least I am seeing in a great format for 2D. First time trying out Dolby Cinema.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, that's weird. Cameron even said that HFR in 2D is pointless. You sure that Imax doesn't support HFR?
Hmm, maybe I'll call the theatre to confirm. Essentially on the theatre app some showings have the "HFR" designation, and others have the "IMAX" one. The HFR showings are in 3D though to be clear, just not IMAX