• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
People's eyes . Not critics.

Not like it matters that much, but IW has 8.5/10 on IMDB with 616k votes while Avatar has 7.8/10 on IMDB with 1.063 mill votes.
Why would anybody use imdb as a metric of anything. People who rank on imdb are the same ones that made TDK the highest rated movie ever made and multiple others when they came out. They rank in 1's or 10s and nothing in between. How much of the general viewing audience do you think goes online to rank movies on imdb, anyway?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I hope this is sarcasm, if not lol.
It's not touching 600M OW.

Also films don't gross more on Thursday previews than they do on full Fri-Sun viewings. Based on your Thursday number Endgame would do closer to 1B OW.
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

it's sarcasm, by that logic the numbers would be in the billions by the end of the weekend. No way this movie would ever be able to do that

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Advance ticket adoption rates are much higher this year than last year. You also can't really estimate total WW BO from advance tickets, only the NA weekend BO and even that has a hard cap.

Reasonable expectations for the movie:

Likely to beat IW's opening weekend record in NA. It probably won't be by that much due to the 3 hour length... I saw some estimates as high as 280 million and I just don't know about that... that's beating the previous record setter by a whopping 30 million!

800-900 million WW weekend BO. This is sort of a meaningless record since you can't compare with other movies as they release movies at different intervals in different regions. Endgame among the first to have complete global WW simultaneous release. It will be curious to see how close it gets to a billion by Monday certainly be the fastest to a billion.

Domestic all time? Now this one is interesting. I think its not unreasonable to expect that this might at least come in at #2 below Star Wars Force Awakens. 800 million domestic is not impossible but requires healthy legs. Not sure that will be possible with the competition. Endgame needs to reach cultural breakthrough level to beat Star wars and sniff that coveted 1 billion domestic.

WW all time? Its likely to beat IW I think thats a reasonable expectation. The question is if it can beat Titanic and Avatar. Titanic has a chance to be broken but still requires healthy legs. Beating Avatar is a monumental task that requires Endgame to be a cultural phenomenon (even more that it is) and insane legs. Not being a standalone movie really hurts its chances here IMO.

All this to say the movie is going to be very big... its just a matter of HOW big.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
He's right. It hasn't.
Though, I'm not sure why Sculli mentioned Titanic alongside Avatar. Unlike Avatar, that movie still seems to be loved.
Titanic received the exact same widespread backlash (after being an audience darling) that Avatar did once it became the box office champ. Then, when Avatar took the crown, Titanic suddenly experienced newfound appreciation all over again.

That's my point. Nobody likes the king of the mountain. It makes one less unique if they're aligned with the pinnacle of mainstream audience engagement. If Endgame somehow pulled an extra $800m out of its ass over Infinity War, it would be interesting to see the same critical heel turn happen.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Titanic received the exact same widespread backlash (after being an audience darling) that Avatar did once it became the box office champ. Then, when Avatar took the crown, Titanic suddenly experienced newfound appreciation all over again.

That's my point. Nobody likes the king of the mountain. It makes one less unique if they're aligned with the pinnacle of mainstream entertainment. If Endgame somehow pulled an extra $800m out of its ass over Infinity War, it would be interesting to see the same critical heel turn happen.
You would have to only exist in the Resetera bubble if you think Titanic has had any "heel" turn. The movie is widely beloved, more so than even Avatar.

If you are talking about Titanic getting backlash back in 1997-1998 when it released.. I don't even know what to tell you. Or when it got re-release which so few people even knew it got re-released to begin with..

You are going to find random hate for anything popular. Just had a thread for Endgame on here that was "so who here is NOT watching Endgame?" People hate on IW too.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
You would have to only exist in the Resetera bubble if you think Titanic has had any "heel" turn. The movie is widely beloved, more so than even Avatar.

If you are talking about Titanic getting backlash back in 1997-1998 when it released.. I don't even know what to tell you. Or when it got re-release which so few people even knew it got re-released to begin with..

You are going to find random hate for anything popular. Just had a thread for Endgame on here that was "so who here is NOT watching Endgame?" People hate on IW too.
Dude. I dunno where you were. This isn't even a controversial opinion.

Between 1998 (once it took the crown) and 2009, Titanic was derided to hell and back. It was a critical darling on release and is looked back on fondly now. But you must have been living under a rock.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Between 1998 (once it took the crown) and 2009, Titanic was derided to hell and back. It was a critical darling on release and is looked back on fondly now. But you must have been living under a rock.
Derided where? On the internet... in 1998? Or by general public? I have been across 4 continents and I have legitimately never heard anyone say that Titanic was a bad movie in person in that time span. Certainly nothing that I would describe as "derided to hell and back". Again, you are probably talking about a microcosm of internet folks who got salty their favorite movie didnt come close to Titanic which absolutely does not represent a general viewpoint.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Derided where? On the internet... in 1998? Or by general public? I have been across 4 continents and I have legitimately never heard anyone say that Titanic was a bad movie in person in that time span. Certainly nothing that I would describe as "derided to hell and back". Again, you are probably talking about a microcosm of internet folks who got salty their favorite movie didnt come close to Titanic which absolutely does not represent a general viewpoint.
Everywhere. I'm not talking just about forum bubbles.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Titanic is disliked? I really like the movie. Never heard anyone saying anything negative about it other than the discussion of wherever or not Jack also could fit on the door.

Avatar? Not a bad movie, but overall quite meh. Did neither watch it in cinema as I was not interested. Well, I don't much in cinemas anyways, like 1-3 times a year perhaps.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the presence of Captain Marvel in this movie is causing some people to claim Disney is buying up those pre-order tickets to cover the fact that Captain Marvel is killing their sales.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Titanic did initially receive backlash from dudebros as being a "chick flick", and Leonardo DiCaprio was dismissed as a superficial "pretty boy", which led him to choose more dark and grittier roles.

MovieBob made a pretty good video on the subject:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Titanic did initially receive backlash from dudebros as being a "chick flick", and Leonardo DiCaprio was dismissed as a superficial "pretty boy", which led him to choose more dark and grittier roles.

I'll watch the video and I remember seeing comments like those but they didn't represent a majority or "concensus" to me. Just the usual hipster pushback.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Still won't touch TFA domestic, that was lightning in a bottle. I also think it will be very front-loaded. I don't see it making more than Avatar domestic either. It will barely top Panther or still be below it (again, domestic), bet on it. It only has two weeks to itself and those two weekends will be massive. If we go by the Marvel total box office average, if it opens to around 280-290 (which is insane by the way) and has two major weekends, it will end up around $680-690. You have to remember, TFA and Panther had a lot of time to themselves, this won't. Disney doesn't care though, they have enough releases coming out and this will shatter many records regardless.

Internationally, it has a chance at taking TFA for sure.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

This is spot on to what I remember. I do not recall widespread hate outside of that segment.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I never really got what Avatar did that was so hype inducing at the time. Atleast with titanic it was a great movie with great word of mouth. Truly worth being called one of the all time greats.

Avatar felt more like a media creation due to the star power of James cameron and the fact that he spent so much on graphics and rendering technology

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
This is spot on to what I remember. I do not recall widespread hate outside of that segment.
It was the majority of men, actually. Wikipedia has an interesting anecdote that notes that because men crying in movies was perceived as feminine for a good while back then, men in general vehemently tried to distance themselves from the film and voice their dislike of it.

If you were in school/high school during that time, you would see the same insecure hate for the film all the time.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ticket sales here in Brazil opened same day as most countries in the rest of the world, I remember trying to get tickets on different theaters (MovieCom, Cinemark, etc...) and they were all down before the tickets even went up. According to some of my unfortunate friends, they were down for hours even after the tickets went up. Managed to get decent - not great, but good enough not to be uncomfortable - seats for myself and the girlfriend on the 24th. Hype through the roof. The moment I payed for those tickets, ALL seats were gone. Insane.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Outside of early teens who were jealous of all the girls who were thirsty for Leo at no point was there a giant heel turn against Titanic. That movie has basically been loved since day one.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
It was the majority of men, actually. Wikipedia has an interesting anecdote that notes that because men crying in movies was perceived as feminine for a good while back then, men in general vehemently tried to distance themselves from the film and voice their dislike of it.

If you were in school/high school during that time, you would see the same insecure hate for the film all the time.
I do remember some men hating on the film due it being labeled a "chick flick" and the overall length.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of early teens who were jealous of all the girls who were thirsty for Leo at no point was there a giant heel turn against Titanic. That movie has basically been loved since day one.
You're living in a fantasy world. It wasn't just teens. Just google "Titanic backlash" and feel free to trawl the countless articles documenting and examining the phenomena both at the time and more recently.

I understand now that you didn't anecdotally experience it. Cool. But it was a widespread thing whether you personally encountered it or not.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
titanic is definitely still as relevant as it was
no one ever goes "i remember the first time I watched avatar, still as timeless as ever."

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
One of the cinema chain in my country started adding 7 and 7.15 am screening now lol, and all the good seats were filled already.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
You're living in a fantasy world. It wasn't just teens. Just google "Titanic backlash" and feel free to trawl the countless articles documenting and examining the phenomena both at the time and more recently.

I understand now that you didn't anecdotally experience it. Cool. But it was a widespread thing whether you personally encountered it or not.
I was fully in the middle of the "titanic backlash" and it stopped the moment you got away from anyone who was remotely secure about themselves. Titanic's "backlash" didn't feel any bigger than the traditional backlash you get from other Best Picture winners.

Comparatively the backlash against Avatar is an entirely different and bigger beast

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm seeing this film at Cineworld VIP. One of the few films that deserves it.

Not until Saturday though so a few days I'll have to be careful on the internet.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I was fully in the middle of the "titanic backlash" and it stopped the moment you got away from anyone who was remotely secure about themselves. Titanic's "backlash" didn't feel any bigger than the traditional backlash you get from other Best Picture winners.

Comparatively the backlash against Avatar is an entirely different and bigger beast
Nah. They're the same size. Avatar's detractor base have just been given larger voices these days due to movie fanboy sites and YouTube channels becoming popular.

It's a shame, because I have a young cousin in his teens and when I ask him what he thought about any movie, he'll regurgitate whatever the brain dead trending shit on those platforms is.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first time I've pre-ordered tickets since the last Harry Potter. Was going to the midnight screening, but after the 3h runtime confirmation I decided to go on the Thursday afternoon.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

dont watch youtube but, this is the titanic / leo backlash and it lasted until dicaprio was doing gangster movies and banging every super model on earth. he has since been beloved by men, and the movie has been beloved by all pretty much since launch

titanic is definitely still as relevant as it was
no one ever goes "i remember the first time I watched avatar, still as timeless as ever."

two very different films - avatar was only really about 3D and i think that tech won't exactly be remembered fondly. like early cgi.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never really got what Avatar did that was so hype inducing at the time. Atleast with titanic it was a great movie with great word of mouth. Truly worth being called one of the all time greats.

Avatar felt more like a media creation due to the star power of James cameron and the fact that he spent so much on graphics and rendering technology

Avatar was, is, and will always be the best 3D Cinema experience ever made. That's what propelled it.

I don't even think I've seen it more than twice but that theatre experience was mind-blowing.

Nov 1, 2017

Avatar was entirely word of mouth post-release. There was very little hype for Avatar before it came out. Everyone was convinced it was gonna bomb. It had an okay opening weekend but then it just kept making money in a way that's never really happened before. I don't fully understand it either but there had to be something that clicked with general audiences to trigger that kind of word of mouth.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Avatar was entirely word of mouth post-release. There was very little hype for Avatar before it came out. Everyone was convinced it was gonna bomb. It had an okay opening weekend but then it just kept making money in a way that's never really happened before. I don't fully understand it either but there had to be something that clicked with general audiences to trigger that kind of word of mouth.
It was the 3D; that's all it really was.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
god damn
It was the 3D; that's all it really was.

3D and IMAX accounted for the extra dollars but at the time Avatar was a big cultural event. It's weird because it's almost completely dropped out of public consciousness but for those few months it was out everyone was going to the theater to see it for the 3D gimmick.

Seeing it in the theater before it left was a necessity because you would lose that big screen experience once it left.