Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What if someone is bor

I hope he didn't steal her away from her husband then. (Someone said she mentions she's married in the 50's).

Personally I kind of assume that he goes back to somewhere in the early-mid 50's which fits better with how many years hes been in the present.

I don't remember if a specific time was mentioned when she got married. But Steve's photo was still on her desk when he was watching her. Other things to consider is that he probably only had enough pym particles to return the stones to the exact time and moment they were taken so wouldnt be able to make a detour and go back earlier. Lastly if he did go back to the 40s he would be about 100 years old defrosted and would probably be dead by the time he hands over the shield.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
The way time travel works in this film, the only way Steve could have been Peggy's husband all along would be if "our" MCU wasn't the first one. Each Peggy would be married to a Steve Rogers from a timeline one "closer" to the universe "prime" (where she never married Steve), and then each Steve would go back in time and marry a Peggy from one universe "further" from the prime universe.
Yes.

"This universe is only one of an infinite number. Worlds without end."

- Ancient One

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think people assume he went back further because by the 70s, Peggy was already married with children. Cap coming back at that time would have forced her to abandon her family. Him going back to 1946 means he was the husband and father to the children all along.
Peggy was younger than her 1970s self by the end of the film. Also the location seems like mid fourties, early fifties. My theory is that Cap going back is a time travel conundrum. Peggy's husband was Steve all along, hence why Steve's portrait is still on her desk at SHIELD. Neither really "move on". I wonder if Steve told her about kissing her nephew tho.
Steve was always frozen down in the ice, and Peggy had another family in the meantime. When he goes back to 1946 he creates an alternate timeline where he is her husband and lives a life there.

The way time travel works in this film, the only way Steve could have been Peggy's husband all along would be if "our" MCU wasn't the first one. Each Peggy would be married to a Steve Rogers from a timeline one "closer" to the universe "prime" (where she never married Steve), and then each Steve would go back in time and marry a Peggy from one universe "further" from the prime universe.
🤔

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Racist people tend to find something to get angry about no matter what.
I don't really mindif they don't change the name of the show for "Captain America and Winter Soldier", but I REALLY want him to actually BECOME Captain America by the end of the series or at very least in his next film. Captain America and Bucky with Mackie and Stan could be amazing as a film, with the series setting up that.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember if a specific time was mentioned when she got married. But Steve's photo was still on her desk when he was watching her. Other things to consider is that he probably only had enough pym particles to return the stones to the exact time and moment they were taken so wouldnt be able to make a detour and go back earlier. Lastly if he did go back to the 40s he would be about 100 years old defrosted and would probably be dead by the time he hands over the shield.
That is true. But that might be because another steve already travelled back to marry her in that timeline (theoretically, if we go with the idea that he was already her husband)

He is living in another time line, so who is to say that this didn't happen immidiately after her passing in his time line. I don't think he had to come back at a certain point. I would assume that he could get an extra vial of particles when peggy works at shield and he easily stole 4 vials in the movie.

Then theres his super human serum that might make him age slower (who knows)

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I just got back from seeing this and I don't want to talk about plot holes or things that could have been more thought out, because there were plenty of ways to have handled that better than the way they did once multiverse time travel is introduced.

However the thematic reasons for everything generally seem sound. My one issue is that there were just too many endings and the ending felt too much like the beginning.

I didn't need another check in with how every high to mid tier character dealt with the victory as I had already had a check in with how they all dealt with the initial failure.

All in all though it was pretty good.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does Dr. Strange telling Tony if he "tells him how it is supposed to go that it won't happen" mean that Tony wouldn't go through with it if he knew he was going to have to die to do it? Does that remove a little of the self-sacrifice arc of Tony Stark if that is true?

If the roles were changed and it was Cap asking the question, Dr. Strange would've probably just said, "You're going to put on the gauntlet and end up dying." Cap would have just said, "just tell me when to do it" with out hesitation.

Cap still the best :P

Most likely Doctor Strange had already seen the reality where he tells Tony in advance and Stark instead tries to find another way which would save himself which would lead them to failure. Stark had to come to the realization himself and make the choice, it was only then when he realized what he had to do that Strange confirmed that this was the one and only path.

That exchange was probably my favorite part of the movie and made Strange's action in Infinity War appear in a new light.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Nah...Agent Carter has been proven canon and it happen a year after First Avenger. Considering this is Steve we're talking aobut, he totally went back in time for the promised dance so Agent Carter can't happen. The only answer is he went on to create another timeline.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am so happy that Falcon will carry on the mantle of Cap.

I'm guessing this triggered a lot of racist people?

I dunno, does it make me racist if I think Anthony Mackie is a complete charisma vacuum? Cant help but think Chadwick Boseman would be a better Cap replacement but then you'd need a new Black Panther lol

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they inevitably bring Cap back for a movie years down the line I will lose my shit. Too bad the same can't happen for Tony :( (probably)

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that's the last we'll see of Cap, or will he be in the MCU in a capacity like this?

I think we will inevitably see both RDJ and Evans again in the MCU in some capacity or other down the line after a nice lengthy break.

In Evans' case, I see him directly playing Cap again for a once off in like 10 years.

Oct 25, 2017
So Loki is back, Gomorra is back?
Loki is probably stuck in a different timeline. Gamorra seems to be yes, but she didn't stick around so they might have to find her in guardians 3 and get her to join back up again.

I kind of want them to use that Loki for the Loki show because the alternate timeline stuff they could pull could be pretty interesting.

Although the character regression would be a shame.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
so steve just fucks over peggy's real husband? lol that doesn't seem like a thing he would do

I think the implication is that Steve has been her real husband all along, because we never saw her husband elsewhere in the MCU. We just didn't know he was the husband and he would make sure to avoid being seen by anyone.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Steve was always frozen down in the ice, and Peggy had another family in the meantime. When he goes back to 1946 he creates an alternate timeline where he is her husband and lives a life there.

🤔
Even more fun:
MCU Prime: Thanos attacks, Avengers think up time heist, Hulk goes to talk to the Ancient One (creating a parallel universe)

In this parallel universe (assuming Loki with the Tesseract doesn't somehow prevent Thanos), Thanos will attack, the Avengers will think up the time heist, the the Hulk will go back to talk to the Ancient One... and Prime Hulk, who's already there. Then they either have to fight for it, or second Hulk has to wait in line, or something.

But this creates a second parallel universe, where the process repeats, adding a Hulk to the scenario each time. Eventually, there's a universe where like a hundred Hulks are chilling on the roof of the Sanctum waiting to borrow the Time Stone. Given enough time loops, you could even populate the planet with Hulks.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I think we will inevitably see both RDJ and Evans again in the MCU in some capacity or other down the line after a nice lengthy break.

In Evans' case, I see him directly playing Cap again for a once off in like 10 years.
Ohhhhh, can you just imagine the hype when we'll all be watching Avengers vs X-men in 2029 and Falcon is close to dying and out of no where you hear Caps theme and he saves him and says "On your left".

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Dr. Strange telling Tony if he "tells him how it is supposed to go that it won't happen" mean that Tony wouldn't go through with it if he knew he was going to have to die to do it? Does that remove a little of the self-sacrifice arc of Tony Stark if that is true?

If the roles were changed and it was Cap asking the question, Dr. Strange would've probably just said, "You're going to put on the gauntlet and end up dying." Cap would have just said, "just tell me when to do it" with out hesitation.

Nah, it's in Stark's nature to "cut the wire" but at that moment his heart told him to lay down on it instead. What he did in Endgame was pure gut instinct, but if he had time to think about it he may have done something different. He may not have simply destroyed Thanos and his armies, but instead tried doing something more complicated, which would've been bad if Strange is to be believed.

Stark is just too smart for his own good and by not giving him time to think it through, Strange ensured he'd do what his heart told him to and not what his head did.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I think the implication is that Steve has been her real husband all along, because we never saw her husband elsewhere in the MCU. We just didn't know he was the husband and he would make sure to avoid being seen by anyone.
Neither.

Confirmed by the directors... when Steve goes back and marries Peggy, it creates a different timeline. When he makes it back as an old man, it's after jumping from his timeline back to the original one.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I'm waiting for the UHD blu rays so we can get some fine ass wallpapers of Cap facing down Thanos and his entire army alone.

The way the backdrop is lit in that scene makes it look like a painting.
Reminded me of that moment in Battle of the Bastards, also felt like a homage to this comic moment
0da6491a-ae61-47b4-9qrjyz.jpeg

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even more fun:
MCU Prime: Thanos attacks, Avengers think up time heist, Hulk goes to talk to the Ancient One (creating a parallel universe)

In this parallel universe (assuming Loki with the Tesseract doesn't somehow prevent Thanos), Thanos will attack, the Avengers will think up the time heist, the the Hulk will go back to talk to the Ancient One... and Prime Hulk, who's already there. Then they either have to fight for it, or second Hulk has to wait in line, or something.

But this creates a second parallel universe, where the process repeats, adding a Hulk to the scenario each time. Eventually, there's a universe where like a hundred Hulks are chilling on the roof of the Sanctum waiting to borrow the Time Stone. Given enough time loops, you could even populate the planet with Hulks.
Hulk talking to the Ancient One is in a different reality (parallel universe).

Every single jump to the "past" must be to an alternate reality.

Oct 28, 2017

I hope not. Theres way too many characters to explore and Captain America and Iron Man have had full explorations of their character.

Having said that it's hard to imagine the Avengers without those 2. The definitely had gravitas. Their personality were distinct and open to conflict. Im not sure Mackie has that...yet. He needs a solo film to define his Cap.

Who's left in the core group? Wanda and Bruce? That's a lot of holes to fill but thankfully they have a large roster to backfill them with.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Nah, it's in Stark's nature to "cut the wire" but at that moment his heart told him to lay down on it instead. What he did in Endgame was pure gut instinct, but if he had time to think about it he may have done something different. He may not have simply destroyed Thanos and his armies, but instead tried doing something more complicated, which would've been bad if Strange is to be believed.

Stark is just too smart for his own good and by not giving him time to think it through, Strange ensured he'd do what his heart told him to and not what his head did.
That's a great reading of the situation. Benedict acted THE HELL out of the few scenes he had in this film. All I could remember while he looked at Tony was this:

KXxHhA3.gif

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hulk talking to the Ancient One is in a different reality (parallel universe).

Every single jump to the "past" must be to an alternate reality.
Yes, but in that alternate reality, the future Avengers will have to travel to their past, and in their past, Hulk was already there talking to the Ancient one. So now two Hulks and two alternate realities. And two Caps in Hank's lab (this one will actually cause issues, because eventually there won't be enough Pym particles for each Cap that shows up).

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States

It's not about Tony selfishly trying to protect his life. In Endgame, Tony's attachments are:

1. his desire to continue his relationship with his family. He loves them fiercely, doesn't want to leave his daughter fatherless, and he wants the chance to continue *being* her father.
2. his related desire to *protect* his family - a continuation of the theme of protection going back all the way to the beginning of the MCU. His desire to protect is why he endlessly improves his tech. This is why he builds Ultron. And this is why he reiterates over and over that no matter what they do in the Time Heist, it can't affect his family.

These two desires / attachments have been clearly developed in the movie and throughout the series (including the maturation of Tony's desire to be a father, starting with his relationship with Peter Parker).

What dr strange wants to ensure is that Tony doesn't get caught up in the "there must be some other way this can work" mindset. If he tells him ahead of time, that's where Tony's mind goes. Instead, the conviction has to come from him.

Tony and Cap are the best.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad the Russo's confirmed that Cap did indeed jump back to his original timeline to give Sam the shield. Now we can move on....right?

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
That's a great reading of the situation. Benedict acted THE HELL out of the few scenes he had in this film. All I could remember while he looked at Tony was this:

KXxHhA3.gif

Especially as it's likely that the one scenario where they win wasn't the last one he looked at. Chances are he kept looking to try and find any other possible scenario where they could win, but couldn't. If you'll remember, he's shaking violently and the others on Titan snap him out of it. Dude likely wanted to keep going,

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So, when Alt-universe frozen Cap wakes up he's going to have a wild and depressing time as he learns the love of his life actually got married to another version of himself and probably had a bunch of kids. Does that Cap then fight Thanos and jump to an alternate reality again to be with Peggy and it's a never ending loop of selfish Caps joining other Caps timelines to bang Peggy?

He wouldn't neccisarily wake up to learn who Peggy got married to.

I imagine old man Cap kept true his identity secret while in this alternate universe, since most people believe Cap died in WWII.

When Cap wakes up from the ice, Carter is old as dirt, so her being in a previous relationship would be water under the bridge. I don't think Cap ever bothers to learn who her husband was.

If he ever did learn that an alternate version of him ended up with Carter, that might have been his motivation to stay in the past and relive that.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but in that alternate reality, the future Avengers will have to travel to their past, and in their past, Hulk was already there talking to the Ancient one. So now two Hulks and two alternate realities. And two Caps in Hank's lab (this one will actually cause issues, because eventually there won't be enough Pym particles for each Cap that shows up).
Ah, didn't get that your MCU Prime was already an alternate reality.

Wait wait, okay, in that reality, that's the history yes. So then when they go back in time at or after that point, the Hulk from another reality will be there, because otherwise.. it wouldn't be their past. Yes correct. But then who was Hulk though? Oh shit, this does get crazy.

Okay okay. Let's say we have MCU, which is the initial reality we see in the movie, then MCU A, which is the reality in which MCU Hulk speaks to MCU A TAO. Then MCU A Hulk, in the future, will go "back in time" to, say MCU A.A and talk to MCU A.A TAO, BUT, because MCU Hulk was there, there has to be an MCU Hulk there now too, but from which reality then??? I guess that means that all other realities must be copied then as well, holy shit.

Ok so in the scenario you're describing, there would be MCU A Hulk, in reality MCU A.A, trying to talk to MCU A.A TAO, BUT there's already an MCU.A Hulk there.

So for every recursion like that, every single previous reality that visited them will be copied, which would grow... exponentially?

zwvqq7hwlj1v.gif

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Enjoyed the movie but man it's overrated. I found infinity war much more enjoyable. I'll give this a 7/10, first half of the movie was more like 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.