• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
wow you really dont want your taxes raised huh

Yep, you totally got me. My criticisms about Bernie surrounding himself with hot garbage in the past like Cornel West and Killer Mike and talking about how groups in "The Establishment" like Planned Parenthood don't want him to win the election, is totally about me not wanting to have my taxes raised.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
you shouldn't be salty about this

i just think it's extremely good, and cool, how people keep talking about bernie building a #movement, but then his campaign staff get on stage and accuse other politicians who literally agree with him (and have been voting in agreement with him 95% of the time for their entire tenure in congress) of being "copycats"

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Nina has progressed to two hands... because the raising one hand thing at a political rally is.... yeah.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, you totally got me. My criticisms about Bernie surrounding himself with hot garbage in the past like Cornel West and Killer Mike and talking about how groups in "The Establishment" like Planned Parenthood don't want him to win the election, is totally about me not wanting to have my taxes raised.

Cornel West is trash?

Did I miss something that he did recently?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Condescending? I've pretty much answered every single poster who has replied to me, not going to apologize when people just say "well, you're wrong" and make me repeat the same shit three times in a row where I get annoyed in doing so.
Yes you are condescending. Bernie and his campaign have put forth a bunch of plans on intersectional issues from criminal justice reform, parental leave, workplace discrimination, homelessness, drug addiction, healthcare, etc. Saying he is not 'campaigning with intersectional politics' is just a blatant lie.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think she's swiping Warren. Probably the other people latching on for benefit (I am thinking of Buttigeg being recently exposed for his M4A about-face).

Sitting out an election was a direct reference to Warren. Copycats are referring to everyone, though that's generous. Everyone is a watered down copy of Bernard.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf is is 'Cornel West is trash' nonsense. You think Coates is trash too?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
haxf0wp9wc731.jpg
IS THIS REAL

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof, ok that's a bad look. I'm sure he regrets that.
To be honest, I don't know whether or not he ever addressed it, but that earned him some much deserved side eye.

Some people aren't made for Twitter. You don't have to look far for Cornel calling Trump a fascist.
It's a bullshit statement regardless of where it appeared and reveals some real holes in Cornel's critical thinking skills and worldview.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He calls Trump a fascist now so I think that's addressing it enough. Cornel West has had bad takes before but that doesn't mean throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Agreed.

I mean, I disagreed with him supporting Stein but overall he's an amazing person and one of our most celebrated and interesting intellectuals.

Calling him garbage is just...yikes.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cornel West has had bad takes before but that doesn't mean throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
That's a good approach to take when thinking about Dems and other figures who are good but not perfect.

Agreed.

I mean, I disagreed with him supporting Stein but overall he's an amazing person and one of our most celebrated and interesting intellectuals.

Calling him garbage is just...yikes.
There's actually no defense for supporting Stein though.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And that's your prerogative.

Bernie is clearly a man who believes vehemently in social justice and his history demonstrates that. The fact that he doesn't center on identity politics doesn't mean he doesn't support them, it just means he is looking at a larger picture. When you consider the reforms he is advocating, it is clear who his programs are targeting, specifically minorities and POC who have been cloistered and effectively chained to their low socio-economic designation for generations.

Plenty of POC understand this and it is very telling that two of the most progressive women in the party – both of whom are POC – are advocating for his presidency.

His political strategy is not the entirety of who he is and I think it's safe to assume a hypothetical President Bernie would be an advocate for POC and the other marginalized groups that continue to suffer in this nation.

The issue is his message and own words presents that he believes economic issues inherently trump social issues, even if he thinks that by solving economic inequality it will bring forth social equality.

That's an inherent non starter with me because I think it lacks insight on the actual core issue this nation faces, one that he fails to recognize when he keeps parroting why the US doesn't have nationalized healthcare, which is a massive portion of this country are fucking racists who flipped their shit when a black POTUS was trying to pass a public option to where one of the old blue dogs of the party killed it. When he makes an excuse about why he lost in the south being "not real progressives" (you know, black Democrats) while celebrating how he cleaned house in caucuses in white rural states, or makes excuse for the voters in Florida for voting in a clearly racist Governor.

He's said the same things over and over, and while he holds progressive values I see him keep making excuses that are not progressive, that tell me he keeps catering to a specific group of people that his message 100% resonates with, the same thing I've been saying in this thread. Which is why when I see him say those things, and I see his pure economist message, I see someone who is specifically catering and crafting his political view that is inherently not intersectionalist, and created to bring in people who would so willingly throw away social progress for economic "progress".

It's why Sanders is an outsider, because his message is completely at odds with the identity politics that drives the Democratic Party. And you can argue that it's a good thing he is an outsider for that reason, but when people repeat the same shit over and over where they openly state that it's the fault of people who cater to "identity politics" that "we're in this mess", that it's the fault of people finally having political voices and say, I call bullshit and inherently fight back against those people taking control of the party.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a good approach to take when thinking about Dems and other figures who are good but not perfect.

Actually there are very compelling reasons to support third party candidates over somebody as demonstrably corrupt and un-progressive as Hillary but I think Trump required a very specific type of pragmatism given what his presidency portended.

Honestly, it's a complex issue given that many feel our current political system is a duopoly that robs people of choice.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Difference between someone like West who is an intellectual but has not held actual political power over people's lives and someone who is a Democratic politician and has held office and used that office to wield political power over people's lives in a negative way.
Yeah, lol, noted Trump supporter, Cornel West

Haha

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, lol, noted Trump supporter, Cornel West

probably would have been neat if he had recognized trump as a fascist in 2015 when literally everyone else saw it, to be quite honest. i dunno, calling him trash is bad, but it's like, it's just so wearying to see folks who are ostensibly leftists trying to be contrarian and praise noted pieces of shit like trump and it taking them years to get on the same page as the evil neoliberal centrist moderates who correctly identified trump as a noted piece of shit from the beginning.

but at the same time i guess i understand the necessities of needing to generate controversy to boost your #brand in today's social media focused world.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably would have been neat if he had recognized trump as a fascist in 2015 when literally everyone else saw it, to be quite honest. i dunno, calling him trash is bad, but it's like, it's just so wearying to see folks who are ostensibly leftists trying to be contrarian and praise noted pieces of shit like trump and it taking them years to get on the same page as the evil neoliberal centrist moderates who correctly identified trump as a noted piece of shit from the beginning.
I don't know what he was thinking with this teeet, but I am certain he started calling Trump a fascist even in 2015. Or like a crypto-fascist or something along those lines.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, AOC is probably gonna be one of the first people in elected office to support a UBI and that shit warms my heart. She's toeing the line so close, but it's so clear she gets it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

He wasnt calling trump good. He was saying bern and trump for better or worse are straight talkers compared to the focus tested consultant class of candidate operating like its 1990. Right wing fake populist who says what he really thinks versus left wing true populist who says what he thinks.

I get being mad at the post though. Soundbites can be taken badly even if the meaning is different. Like his obama is white man in blackface comment. He rightly took heat despite having a valid point about obama being a neutered black face of the white imperailist neolib institution in his actual policy

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The issue is his message and own words presents that he believes economic issues inherently trump social issues, even if he thinks that by solving economic inequality it will bring forth social equality.

That's an inherent non starter with me because I think it lacks insight on the actual core issue this nation faces, one that he fails to recognize when he keeps parroting why the US doesn't have nationalized healthcare, which is a massive portion of this country are fucking racists who flipped their shit when a black POTUS was trying to pass a public option to where one of the old blue dogs of the party killed it. When he makes an excuse about why he lost in the south being "not real progressives" (you know, black Democrats) while celebrating how he cleaned house in caucuses in white rural states, or makes excuse for the voters in Florida for voting in a clearly racist Governor.

He's said the same things over and over, and while he holds progressive values I see him keep making excuses that are not progressive, that tell me he keeps catering to a specific group of people that his message 100% resonates with, the same thing I've been saying in this thread. Which is why when I see him say those things, and I see his pure economist message, I see someone who is specifically catering and crafting his political view that is inherently not intersectionalist, and created to bring in people who would so willingly throw away social progress for economic "progress".

It's why Sanders is an outsider, because his message is completely at odds with the identity politics that drives the Democratic Party. And you can argue that it's a good thing he is an outsider for that reason, but when people repeat the same shit over and over where they openly state that it's the fault of people who cater to "identity politics" that "we're in this mess", that it's the fault of people finally having political voices and say, I call bullshit and inherently fight back against those people taking control of the party.

It's an argument to have though. He might be right. I tend to think tackling socio-economic issues is a better focus, because you can't legislate racism out of existence. I can't think of any law congress could pass that would change a racist's mind. I don't disagree with identity politics, but I don't think you can tackle these issues directly.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I don't know what he was thinking with this teeet, but I am certain he started calling Trump a fascist even in 2015. Or like a crypto-fascist or something along those lines.
Well, this is from May, 2016:
Just to tell the truth, Trump is a narcissistic neo-fascist in the making, and you just have to say that. That's what it is," said renowned scholar and activist Cornel West.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He wasnt calling trump good. He was saying bern and trump for better or worse are straight talkers compared to the focus tested consultant class of candidate operating like its 1990. Right wing fake populist who says what he really thinks versus left wing true populist who says what he thinks.

I get being mad at the post though. Soundbites can be taken badly even if the meaning is different. Like his obama is white man in blackface comment. He rightly took heat despite having a valid point about obama being a neutered black face of the white imperailist neolib institution in his actual policy
I wasn't ascribing meaning to the tweet outside of the tweet itself. He said Trump was an authentic human being. That shows poor critical thinking and poor judgment and is enough for me to never take him seriously again.

But that's the last I'll say on West here. I don't want to derail this thread.

Oct 27, 2017

Since it has come up, and since some folks may not be aware of the full statement made by West, I'll just note (as I pointed out in a previous thread):

https://www.facebook.com/drcornelwest/posts/10155953989390111
August 24, 2015

Why I Endorse Brother Bernie and Reject Brother Trump

The American Empire is in decline. Our market-driven culture is in decay. The criminal justice system has failed us. And the political system is collapsing due to the weight of corrupt lobbyists and greedy capitalists. Only organized power of courageous and compassionate people can turn around these catastrophic realities. Social movements in the streets and jails over against the Establishment in both decrepit political parties are fundamental. And prophetic politicians -- always with their faults and blind spots -- who tell the truth about Wall Street, white supremacy, empire, patriarchy and homophobia, deserve our critical support. Yet even more important is the issue of integrity.

Brother Bernie and Brother Trump are authentic human beings in stark contrast to their donor-driven opponents. Yet only Bernie has authenticity and integrity, whereas Trump is for real but not for right. Trump's attacks on precious Mexican brothers and sisters are unconscionable -- even as his blessed mother was born in Scotland and grandfather (Mr. Drumpf) was born in Germany. His kind of nativistic hostility could have excluded them. And Trump's unpatriotic complicity with the plutocratic corruption of our political system for over 30 years calls into question his integrity, including his commitment to "make America great again."

My endorsement of Brother Bernie in the primaries is not an affirmation of the neo-liberal Democratic Party or a downplaying of the immorality of the ugly Israeli occupation of Palestinians. I do so because he is a long-distance runner with integrity in the struggle for justice for over 50 years. Now is the time for his prophetic voice to be heard across our crisis-ridden country, even as we push him with integrity toward a more comprehensive vision of freedom for all.

The Facebook post was from the morning of Aug-24-15. On Twitter, later in the day, West apparently put out the same statement, starting with the "Social movements in the streets..." sentence (the 6th sentence from the Facebook post), as part of a series of 18 separate tweets, from 10:02PM EST on Aug-24-15 to 10:12PM EST on Aug-24-15.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He was calling him a neo-facist but he both sides'd the shit out of it
With video:
AMY GOODMAN: You are endorsing Dr. Jill Stein. You were a surrogate for Bernie Sanders. You spoke all over the country for him.

CORNEL WEST: Yes, yes, yes.

AMY GOODMAN: What made you decide to support the Green Party presidential candidate as opposed to Hillary Clinton?

CORNEL WEST: Well, I've never been tied to one party or one candidate or even one institution. And that's true even with one church as a Christian. I'm committed to truth and justice. And Brother Bernie, no doubt, was the standard-bearer for truth and justice during the primary at a national level, at a highly visible level. Once he endorsed Hillary Clinton, who, for me, is a neoliberal disaster, it was clear—
The duopoly has to come to an end. I was hoping we could bring the neoliberal era to a close, because a year ago, populist, Bernie Sanders; neofascist with Trump, or neoliberalism limps on with Hillary Clinton. Right now the Democratic Party still run by big corporations, big lobbyists and so forth, from AIPAC to a host of other lobbyists of big money, and it looks like they want to hold on for dear life.

AMY GOODMAN: Finally, when you look at what Donald Trump is calling for—the wall on the border with Mexico, banning Muslims from coming in—barring Muslims from coming into the country, hesitating to disavow the support of the white supremacist David Duke and other issues—for those who say it's only Hillary Clinton who could defeat that, what is your response?

CORNEL WEST: My response is, and when you actually look at the mass incarceration policies, when you actually look at the reinforcement of the new Jim Crow and the segregation of our educational systems and so forth, that occurred under Democrats. It would persist under Hillary Clinton. What Donald Trump talks about in the abstract has actually been concretely enacted under neoliberal regimes of the Democratic Party.
The world would be no better of a place if Trump hadn't started locking up migrants and Hillary was in charge instead. Yeeeaaaahhhh....

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an argument to have though. He might be right. I tend to think tackling socio-economic issues is a better focus, because you can't legislate racism out of existence. I can't think of any law congress could pass that would change a racist's mind. I don't disagree with identity politics, but I don't think you can tackle these issues directly.

Hey, uhhh, how about fuck that?

Change racists mind? No, you create laws to protect people against racism, against institutional prejudice. You create laws to shut people the fuck up and force people to put a facade and make the action of discrimination illegal.

What you're saying is like arguing the the Civil Right's Act, because it's pure identity politics, might not "have been the way to tackle racism".

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Like others have said, I really wish I was there. Also, based on my previous post about Michael Moore, I can see why they started with him. Weakest speaker of the day. Everybody else has been fire.