• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. 3 characters each DLC volume most likely means we're getting a BB, Persona, and UNIB character each pack. Hopefully at least.
Would that be any better? If someone only cares about Persona or whatever, if the Persona characters were only in the Persona packs, they could just buy those and ignore the rest. Spreading them all out means you gotta buy them all to get all of your favorite characters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Would that be any better? If someone only cares about Persona or whatever, if the Persona characters were only in the Persona packs, they could just buy those and ignore the rest. Spreading them all out means you gotta buy them all to get all of your favorite characters.

That seems to be pretty much exactly what they're going for.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The goal isn't to "have all the content", the goal is to have a game to actually play that isn't a chopped-down husk built around draining money out of my wallet.

Especially considering most fighting games, especially nowadays, are critically shallow experiences outside of their online multiplayer modes. Dissidia NT is basically just an online versus mode with some cutscenes you can "buy" after doing regular matches, and they're trying to charge $60 at launch for it and then sell at least 6 but probably more like a dozen total DLC characters post-launch.

Why do any of these games deserve my cash if they're going to basically wind up as stripped-down, empty experiences designed entirely around psychologically manipulating players to spend more money just to fix their rosters?
Fair enough. I'm surprised you mentioned IJ2 though, since that's generally considered a pretty good value as far as single player content goes. The DLC strategy for that game also seems to be a far cry from what ArcSys is doing here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I'm surprised you mentioned IJ2 though, since that's generally considered a pretty good value as far as single player content goes. The DLC strategy for that game also seems to be a far cry from what ArcSys is doing here.

Isn't the total cost of all the DLC characters in IJ2 pretty close to half the price of the actual game?

Like, it'd be one thing if they were asking a dollar per character. That's not really a big deal, it's the price of a morning coffee or whatever. But when your total ask to get the full roster is bridging on an extra 30 or 40 dollars on top of the initial $60 purchase price, it just feels insulting.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. 3 characters each DLC volume most likely means we're getting a BB, Persona, and UNIB character each pack. Hopefully at least.
That would be a worse case scenario for me, all I want is the persona and RWBY stuff, Ive pretty much got what I want from Blazblue already and I never got into UNIB. If I can just pay for the persona and rwby stuff (if its reasonable) thats the only way I can salvage this

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll wait for a definitive edition, if I even pick this game up at all. I'm fine with fighting games having characters added via DLC, but this is an awful way to handle it.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Blazblue cross
(tag battle title sold as dlc)

was so hyped for this, but this insane decision just turned me off.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a worse case scenario for me, all I want is the persona and RWBY stuff, Ive pretty much got what I want from Blazblue already and I never got into UNIB. If I can just pay for the persona and rwby stuff (if its reasonable) thats the only way I can salvage this
Of course, hence that's why they're going to do it that way.

Guess I shouldn't have put "hopefully" on there.

Last edited:

Strawhat_Do

Oct 27, 2017
I've supported Arc System since the original Guilty Gear on PlayStation 1 and I bought every iteration of Guilty Gear and Blazblue. But I won't be supporting this title. This practice is disgusting and there's a bunch of other fighting games that I can play instead.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Isn't the total cost of all the DLC characters in IJ2 pretty close to half the price of the actual game?

Like, it'd be one thing if they were asking a dollar per character. That's not really a big deal, it's the price of a morning coffee or whatever. But when your total ask to get the full roster is bridging on an extra 30 or 40 dollars on top of the initial $60 purchase price, it just feels insulting.
ArcSys could probably make a profit charging $1 for each of the DLC characters considering they're mostly recycled assets, but I don't think that would fly for IJ2's DLC considering much of it is brand-new. I suppose it's a matter of preference as I would rather have a game be expanded with free balance updates and paid DLC through its lifespan than have to buy IJ2: Second Impact a year later for $60 and then IJ2: Third Strike a year after that for $60.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
349032450061631488.png

The most egregious part of this bullshit is how almost the entire base roster is reused assets.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
While I doubt this is going to hurt DragonBall Fighter's launch in two weeks, this is going to still be a hit against Arc System Works in the long run. Even Capcom adds DLC for six characters at a time. But half the roster and a grand total of 20 additional characters (two of which were expected to be apart of the base roster because you literally split RW from BY)?

Definitely will be interesting to see how those of the fighting game community will react to this. Should be fun to hear from Max about this.

---

Another thought comes to mind though. We don't have a release price, do we? Mind you if this is full price, this game is going to be torn to shreds, but what if it is a lesser cost and the full cost of everything either comes up to $60 or lower? If that were the case, it would be almost like complaining about a game where it is a dollar a character (again, this is if the grand total of game and DLC is under $60. If it goes over, then this game will get torn to shreds).

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The most egregious part of this bullshit is how almost the entire base roster is reused assets.
I'd say most of the DLC roster likely being reused assets is more egregious.

Another thought comes to mind though. We don't have a release price, do we? Mind you if this is full price, this game is going to be torn to shreds, but what if it is a lesser cost and the full cost of everything either comes up to $60 or lower? If that were the case, it would be almost like complaining about a game where it is a dollar a character (again, this is if the grand total of game and DLC is under $60. If it goes over, then this game will get torn to shreds).
I guess it's possible but it seems pointless when they could just release the whole shebang for $60 up front and nobody would bat an eyelid.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
ArcSys could probably make a profit charging $1 for each of the DLC characters considering they're mostly recycled assets, but I don't think that would fly for IJ2's DLC considering much of it is brand-new. I suppose it's a matter of preference as I would rather have a game be expanded with free balance updates and paid DLC through its lifespan than have to buy IJ2: Second Impact a year later for $60 and then IJ2: Third Strike a year after that for $60.

I hear you - I don't think there's any way to do it that makes everyone happy, either.

But speaking personally, if a game is going to ask me to pay $40 for DLC characters, I'm not going to buy it. Period. That's bordering on the price of an entirely new game, and in almost every situation I can think of, I would rather get a new game (not even necessarily in the same series, mind you) than burn $40 on a couple of characters to fill out a roster for a fighting game after I've likely already hit my skill ceiling and started to get bored of it.

At least if they asked me to buy a sequel, they'd have to make a new single-player mode and new content to support that sequel, you know? It'd be a new game to play with new stuff to work on, whereas a couple of extra characters to use in online multiplayer just isn't worth the significant extra cost.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Will wait for the updated, this includes everything version to come out then. Damn, that's a shame though, I was looking forward to this. Arc just loves to piss people off

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ahahahahaahahaha....

wow. That's incredibly scummy, has any fighting game ever had that big a portion of the roster held back as DLC? I was initially tempted to get this but not before a full package including all the DLC comes out.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to add 20 more characters, at least one of them has to be P3 Protagonist right? RIGHT?

I know it won't happen. :(

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Killed my interest straight away. I was interested when they first announced it, sounded awesome, but this just kills my entire interest in the game now.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
This will not sell at all, 20 base characters for 4 franchises utilising the same old sprites?
At first i though that this game was a rushed project, but now??? It feels that it is a beta.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I was really looking forward to this game, but now it's an absolute no-buy. What a disappointment.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will not sell at all, 20 base characters for 4 franchises utilising the same old sprites?
At first i though that this game was a rushed project, but now??? It feels that it is a beta.

Being a niche game have its perks I guess no real pressure to compete against other games of the same genre

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
ArcSys has always been the fucking worst when it comes to fighting game DLC. It just never really got mainstream because ArcSys games are nowhere near as mainstream as Capcom.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's possible but it seems pointless when they could just release the whole shebang for $60 up front and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Exactly. What is the better situation? Have the game come out later and have all 40 characters? or release the game now with 20 and have players pay for the other 20 later?

Because there's no cost tied with Cross Tag Battle yet (or at least not at the time I'm posting that I'm aware of) these lack of details is going to turn the game into a PR nightmare for them. If the game is going for full price, then obviously this will be seen as the worst possible move you can do in terms of a fighting game, whereas if it is at a lesser cost and the DLC afterwards brings it closer or on $60 all together, then it could be seen as people getting upset over something that cost wise means nothing in the long run (but that is still far from justification if we don't know what's happening in the first place).

Let's hope they drop some details soon. EVO Japan is right around the corner after all so perhaps we could get more details by then in regards of release details and cost.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so are there only 2 RWBY characters in this game? And the rest of the main cast are held back as DLC? What?

BumblebeeCody

Oct 28, 2017
No way am I getting this game if half the toster's DLC. I mean, I refused to get Injustice for having 10 DLC characters announced at launch! On top of the sheet numbers, this game's dev philosophy is an MvC2 "throw in everything we got" style, but at least that game gave us 50 characters without charging extra.

Well, at least I'll still have FighterZ... They better not get this greedy with that.
Warner Bros/NetherRealm are pure scumbags but Capcom are the actual infection within fighting game development. Namco Bandai just pop in every now and then to shit on your plate.

This is bullshit. Not buying it and I hope it flops, fails and actual fans are disappointed.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Expected a much bigger base roster with all these franchises and not smaller.

Im not a big RWBY fan but if you have it as one of your 4 crossovers at least put in all 4 main characters in the base roster.

Mabufudyne

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be real fuckin' annoyed if we don't get P5U because people (rightfully) don't buy this game because of the BB team pulling this shit. Talk about setting yourself up for failure. (If they meant that P5U existing depended on BBXTAG's sales and not because of managing potential workload after BBXTAG's release, that is.)

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be real fuckin' annoyed if we don't get P5U because people (rightfully) don't buy this game because of the BB team pulling this shit. Talk about setting yourself up for failure.
A precision to that statement is that Wada was not necessarily referring to BBTAG's sales performance. The Japanese could also mean that information on a next Persona Arena game would come after BBTAG's release. All he said was ""クロス次第," which is pretty ambiguous.