• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
This game is making me nervous. You never know how these Kickstarter projects are going to end up.

The game is excellent.

This is coming from someone who didn't back the game nor have I kept up with development. All I knew was Castlevania, lol, and that was enough for me.

I'm not a pro at these games but I enjoy the gameplay, which is fantastic in this one IMO.

I've come across a few bugs and whatnot. One bug made my character fall through the floor and I ended up getting stuck/not having my character show on screen. I restarted and it was fixed. Never encountered it again. There's also the occasional slowdown/framerate which doesn't happen too often. There was one room in particular where you could really feel/see it. I need to go back and look at it again to make sure it still happens.

The problems I've described never got in the way of the enjoyment of the game. I've put about 20 hours into it and have beaten it with the true ending. I was stuck multiple times and went around, looking for hints. It was driving me CRAZY, lol. Sometimes you'll forget you have to talk to someone or you may need to kill an enemy. Or you may need to do something out of the ordinary.

Through my 20 hours, I've taken my time. Currently have a 99.80% map completion. Looked through every nook and cranny. Tried to collect as many shards as I can. Craft whatever I could and there's still plenty to do for all the completionist out there.

Normal mode does become easy the farther you get in the game. If you search everywhere, get some good drops from enemies and level up shards, you'll have an easy time. That's not to say the game becomes boring but I understand the complaints of not being able to choose your difficulty from the start.

If I had to give this game a score, I would give it between an 8/9 out of 10. It's been a while where a game grabs me and keeps me awake until 6am, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The game is excellent.

This is coming from someone who didn't back the game nor have I kept up with development. All I knew was Castlevania, lol, and that was enough for me.

I'm not a pro at these games but I enjoy the gameplay, which is fantastic in this one IMO.

I've come across a few bugs and whatnot. One bug made my character fall through the floor and I ended up getting stuck/not having my character show on screen. I restarted and it was fixed. Never encountered it again. There's also the occasional slowdown/framerate which doesn't happen too often. There was one room in particular where you could really feel/see it. I need to go back and look at it again to make sure it still happens.

The problems I've described never got in the way of the enjoyment of the game. I've put about 20 hours into it and have beaten it with the true ending. I was stuck multiple times and went around, looking for hints. It was driving me CRAZY, lol. Sometimes you'll forget you have to talk to someone or you may need to kill an enemy. Or you may need to do something out of the ordinary.

Through my 20 hours, I've taken my time. Currently have a 99.80% map completion. Looked through every nook and cranny. Tried to collect as many shards as I can. Craft whatever I could and there's still plenty to do for all the completionist out there.

Normal mode does become easy the farther you get in the game. If you search everywhere, get some good drops from enemies and level up shards, you'll have an easy time. That's not to say the game becomes boring but I understand the complaints of not being able to choose your difficulty from the start.

If I had to give this game a score, I would give it between an 8/9 out of 10. It's been a while where a game grabs me and keeps me awake until 6am, lol.
Thanks for the impressions. That's encouraging to hear.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I wonder how big this game's map is compared to SotN. I usually scour every inch of the map in my igavanias hitting every wall like a madman and I should take no joy from it but the feeling of finding secrets just outweighs any monotony.

I wonder how big this game's map is compared to SotN. I usually scour every inch of the map in my igavanias hitting every wall like a madman and I should take no joy from it but the feeling of finding secrets just outweighs any monotony.
It's said to be the biggest map of any IGAvania, which is a pretty lofty ambition given that SOTN was just a hair under 1900 rooms total.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched this new gameplay vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YsNZZISUGk

I am impressed. Not gonna lie I had pretty much given up on this game due to how many Crowdfunded games just petered out, but it looks like the delays were well worth it. The game is looking fun and I'm loving all the stuff there seems to be for you to collect and gear your character up with. Movement looks fluid and the stages look good. I won't be able to play this on release since I'll be out of town for a while but they definitely earned themselves a day 1 sale from me.

The game is excellent.

Thanks a lot for the write-up. Sounds very solid.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I have this on my wishlist since forever... but it seems quite expensive. Maybe I'll bite, maybe I'll wait, but I'll play it eventually.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
In Iga we trust. Let's say he decides to do another Kickstarter would you back it? Maybe it's too early to ask since we all don't have the game yet but impressions seem good.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
In Iga we trust. Let's say he decides to do another Kickstarter would you back it? Maybe it's too early to ask since we all don't have the game yet but impressions seem good.

I sure would... progress communication was good all development long, concerns were addressed well enough i think. There was some consultation with backers for some choices (artistic and opening of rewards to exterior), they didn't cave in to EGS trying to buy them exclusivity for quick advance cash.
The bonus game COTM was very good, with plenty of replayability. We got demos showing progress and giving confidence in what would happen.
It was a fine experience to me.
It would be near perfect if my copy had shipped already and i could have played the game this weekend ;) Fate decided otherwise.

Edit: and at least they didn't call me "Candid backer" like Grandzella did for RType Final 2 ;)

Last edited:
I doubt he's going to have many troubles securing another big project again, but if he were to, I don't know, try to sell me on funding the creation of a Bloodstained version of Harmony of Despair, I could not flash my cash fast enough.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sure would... progress communication was good all development long, concerns were addressed well enough i think. There was some consultation with backers for some choices (artistic and opening of rewards to exterior), they didn't cave in to EGS trying to buy them exclusivity for quick advance cash.
The bonus game COTM was very good, with plenty of replayability. We got demos showing progress and giving confidence in what would happen.
It was a fine experience to me.
It would be near perfect if my copy had shipped already and i could have played the game this weekend ;) Fate decided otherwise.
They screwed the 60$ digi backers like me with their exclusive content lies, so no i wouldnt kickstart another project with them.

That said i'd buy the game if it was great. I have a feeling this one is gonna basically get a lot of 'eh if you like this old school games its good, but doesnt stand out amongst more modern takes'.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to this. The 8bit throwback they released earlier this year was such a treat, and the updated trailer looked fantastic. A new Igavania game is lily w dream come true.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be so bummed if the Switch version turns out to be crap. 30 FPS is disappointing already, but I suppose better that than frequent drops.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
It's just weird to think I threw $100 at this thing all those years ago, and now I'm literally days away from playing it,

Cant wait!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
It's just weird to think I threw $100 at this thing all those years ago, and now I'm literally days away from playing it,

Cant wait!
Woah! I hope this game meets your $100 expectations. I can think of only a very few handful of games that would for me:

Into the Breach, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, DKC Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade Chronicles 1,2,X.

...hmmmm that may be about it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I am so excited! My copy should be here in a few days. Been looking forward to this for a long time. I hope it sells well and iga had a solid feel for the engine now because I'm honestly fine with getting one of these every 2 years or so. They will get my 40 or 50 bucks guaranteed

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I don't expect a revolution for the genre with this game, but the demos and hands on impressions make me think it's a good evolution of his existing formula.

I hope future titles take a few more risks and let him and company really stretch their legs.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Abso-fucking-lutely. I backed this one at $125, and I'd do at least that much again in a heartbeat.

I've been extremely impressed with the updates on this entire project. I don't know what I'm going to do now that my monthly Bloodstained updates will no longer be coming, but super looking forward to playing this game, which by many accounts is a very good one.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Feels like torture to see this OT and have my copy be 10 days away.

Better than Hollow Knight's wait at least I guess.

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is excellent.

This is fantastic to hear! I am hoping the problems you experienced will be fixed with the day 1 patch.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is excellent.

I'm so glad to hear this. Can't wait to get my Switch copy. It comes at the perfect time too, as I'm going to Hawaii shortly after it comes out. Yay! :)

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've unlocked the other 2 difficulties (Hard and Nightmare). I can't start Nightmare using NG+ though. The game closes and kicks me to the home screen (maybe this is part of the day 1 patch?) BUT I can start a fresh save on Nightmare.

One of my favorite things about the game is the different weapon types they offer. If you want to stick to kicks only or try your hand with a gun, by all means. Would probably be difficult but sounds fun, lol.

Last edited:

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Any word on how good the Swtich version is?

I pre-ordered on Swtich for the steelbook, but I'd rather have it on really anything else as last I heard the Switch version wasn't very good.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
So I've unlocked the other 2 difficulties (Hard and Nightmare). I can't start Nightmare using NG+ though. The game closes and kicks me to the home screen (maybe this is part of the day 1 patch?) BUT I can start a fresh save on Nightmare.

One of my favorite things about the game is the different weapon types they offer. If you want to stick to kicks only or try your hand with a gun, by all means. Would probably be difficult but sounds fun, lol.

Wait so you played that much without the day 1 patch?! Didn't they say in a tweet that there was a ton of stuff in the day 1 patch?

Babba

Nov 2, 2017
If anyone is willing to trade their xbox key for an steam key pm me.
Bummed that I went with a steam copy long ago and forgot to change my surveys...

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is there really still no Switch footage out there? Come on man. I regret so hard switching to Switch version...

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Woah! I hope this game meets your $100 expectations. I can think of only a very few handful of games that would for me:

Into the Breach, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, DKC Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade Chronicles 1,2,X.

...hmmmm that may be about it.

Yeah its a pretty exclusive group of games which would be worth the money, but the talent behind this project and the way the kickstarter has been handled gives me a lot of hope.

Everything I've seen looks good so far, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it!

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here in Austalia hear anything from their fullfillment company? I haven't heard anything yet. (It is the weekend though...)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already preordered the Switch version digitally so I'm set there.

As long as it's not Drakengard 3 levels I think I'll be ok.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, my package is in-transit now! I still doubt I'll receive it by Tuesday, but it's nice to know that it's on its way now (officially).

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for my PS4 code to be sent. They really shouldn't have canceled the Vita version, if the Switch can run the game @ 720p while not being docked.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soon, the king of the night will return...

UV6dBTG.jpg

IGA better be a Dracula-like superboss or I'm gonna be sad.