• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Surely PG could break out the receipts of these negotiations. There's no reason that they couldn't since Hellena already broke NDA.

How many times have you seen a company publicly whip out a contract to contradict something when it wasn't part of a lawsuit? Things don't work like that

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The 'documentation viewed by Bloomberg' part is going to end up a matter of much debate. Because if that paper trail is legit, that... throws everything into question. On the other hand, if it's not, then this gets even seedier

She continues to not provide documentation. If they made a $4k total offer, she'd have that in a written agreement. She mentions correspondence with Kaniya himself and no one has ever seen that either.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
not gonna speculate anymore on this because it sure seems way more complicated than I realized. But if the facts of this article is true, then wtf was Hellena thinking omitting a key detail that would legally fuck her over?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
So then it's not an NDA. So, why is everyone saying there is one?

Platinum is well within their rights to come out now and state what they believe is the truth. Leaking contracts to news publications isn't the way.
There is an NDA. Someone in platinum leaked the docs to Jason.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Welp that explains a lot. Honestly it makes more sense.

I like Hellena's voice, I hope she has receipts because from the looks of this now, it just seems like she overplayed her hand and got annoyed that it didn't go her way.

The cameo would've been a good send off to her voice in the series.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good look for Taylor if this is true. I trust Schreier's reporting.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Well…now I don't know what to think. I certainly trust Schreier to have vetted his sources though.

What a damn mess…

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
She continues to not provide documentation. If they made a $4k total offer, she'd have that in a written agreement. She mentions correspondence with Kaniya himself and no one has ever seen that either.

Yep. Especially because, by her account, she had someone pass the message along for her - meaning that there would ostensibly be at least one witness to her account of things.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't have jumped to conclusions before

Shouldn't do so now.

IMO it simply seems like a bad contract dispute in which both parties had their expectations at different levels (and probably a cultural and language barrier). Taylor probably thought her clout within the fanbase and franchise in general was high enough to get what she felt was owed. Platinum did not feel like reaching it and went in a different direction. Neither decision was wrong either. She has every right to feel slighted. And while I think it was a poor decision on their end to do so, Platinum had every right to walk away.

Not every situation has to have a hero and a villian; sometimes business just sucks ass lol. Hopefully, the union uses this situation to get a better deal; I have no frame of reference to what is "enough" or not but still. AND ideally devs/pubs learn that "iconic" VAs are important to series success.

Ugly situation all around

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Surely this will convince people to not immediately call for heads to roll based on a single source of information in the future right? This entire thing has been a massive embarrassment. People are so eager to get mad about their causes that they'll go full throttle on the tiniest bit of provocation.

YRPinPosition

Jun 4, 2022
It's just sad.
Saddest thing is that we will never know for sure.

I love Hellena and her work and wouldn't believe she actually lied.
I love PG and what they did with the series.

I can understand her reaction and I also understand PG and their decision.
I do think that a conflict of interest is what made this situation even worse. Either misinformation or miscommunication.

It's just sad.
Wish Hellena the best but Bayonetta is a franchise I absolutely adore.

Oct 25, 2017
👀👀👀👀👀👀

oh boy this gonna be a good thread.

Most of the true excitement in the old thread got banned, so there's just not enough energy here to get the account bonfire rolling.

It's just sad.
Saddest thing is that we will never know for sure.

I love Hellena and her work and wouldn't believe she actually lied.
I love PG and what they did with the series.

I can understand her reaction and I also understand PG and their decision.
I do think that a conflict of interest is what made this situation even worse. Either misinformation or miscommunication.

It's just sad.
Wish Hellena the best but Bayonetta is a franchise I absolutely adore.

Her not doing voice work for games often helps paint the picture of her not knowing the overall popularity of Bayonetta, or her not really knowing that VA residuals are extremely rare for in the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's where their accounts differ: Platinum Games sought to hire Taylor for at least five sessions, each paying $3,000 to $4,000 for four hours in the studio, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they aren't authorized to discuss private contract negotiations. That would make the total for the game at least $15,000. In response, they said, Taylor asked for a six-figure sum as well as residuals on the game.

This is COMPLETELY different from what she said in her tweets

Most of the true excitement in the old thread got banned, so there's just not enough energy here to get the account bonfire rolling.

Her not doing voice work for games often helps paint the picture of her not knowing the overall popularity of Bayonetta, or her not really knowing that VA residuals are extremely rare for in the industry.
It's not my fault! Mods threadbanned me after I had some...less than TOS-approved descriptions about some types of posts I was seeing...

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
15k for your leading actress regardless is still super low. I don't know if Platinum really thinks this is a save because for your multi million dollar game I find this to be still very low. I assume though this is the norm which is a dogshit norm regardless. (Here is less then what the average grocery store worker makes per year for our multi hundred million dollar game)The norm for your leads should be 50k+ IMO

Regardless if this is the norm I find it to be a shit norm for these big ass games. Sucks if she lied to paint it in a different light but we should discuss why regardless wages like this are wrong as a norm for multi million dollar products
...It's not a year long recording

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a paper trail and Bloomberg has seen it. Can't believe Taylor nuked her career for this.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to hear her response to the new evidence that's coming out. It's hard to imagine she just lied without knowing the truth would easily be revealed. I'll still reserve judgement but an opinion is starting to form.

On a side note, I always assumed voice actors got paid way more than this.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
But why would she publicly lie about this? it makes no sense because they could take her to court and she would be exposed. Maybe its a missunderstanding with the translation contract or something? I dont know but it seems weird that she would lie like this

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
she should've been paid $50-100k but I also know nothing about voice work and think all voice actors should make that amount.
Ehh...these sessions would have been like 20 hours of work. I don't think the idea behind freelance careers like voice acting is to work 4 days a year and earn 100k, right? It's more that you aim to get several roles per year, and the totals start adding up.

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
How up in arms I've seen people on era being about a one sided story. Then again I feel most people want to be angry. If what is being stated here is true, blatant omission of details to paint her as a victim to unfair practices.

I feel there will be lots of details that will never be made public.

Wonder how many people will never follow up and still believe everything stated from before these articles came out.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true i totally understand Kamiyas immediate reaction.

It seems clear that HT was hoping to be able to live off on just the VA money from B3 for months or years. Thats just not realistic.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If she lied about this then it has to be one of the dumbest lies I've ever seen. Why fabricate a story when there is written evidence that can just be pulled up that conclusively says otherwise? One of these parties is lying and all you have to do is pull up an email or contract to see who it is.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
...It's not a year long recording
Not my point. My point is even at union rates for sessions voice actors, imo, are underpaid for the games they are working on. I wish they had more leverage that 15-20k for a leading role wasn't the norm. And devs deserve to be paid more in general as well, as notoriously they are paid not nearly enough for the work they do. These companies could afford that but they only pay what they are forced/obligated to and not what is right for the size of the experience being worked on. It is a money first industry. My point is the human one. Regardless of that it is shit she lied if she did, not debating that. Talking about the bigger issue overall.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The girls are fighting!

Goes without saying that I'm really disappointed in Taylor if she lied. :(

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
6 figures, really? I said wow, poor little niche Bayonetta, haha. And yes, 3k to 4k per sessions is a lot.
I hope someday we learn the full story but we'll have to do with what we know now.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
But why would she publicly lie about this? it makes no sense because they could take her to court and she would be exposed. Maybe its a missunderstanding with the translation contract or something? I dont know but it seems weird that she would lie like this
Youre gonna be hard pressed to find a motivation other than "pissed and petty" if what Bloomberg says is true.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So if this is true then Hale is definitely getting at least $3-4K per session like Taylor was going to.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming this is true why would she lie about the amount?

She could have made the same point about being underpaid without lying about it.

I would imagine there must have been emails at the very least containing the discussion on what she would be paid. She could show them her side of it as well.

That said I have no idea WTF happened here. I wouldn't suggest jumping to a conclusion either way. I am sure the truth will come out and it probably won't take years for it do so.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dang, I was on Taylor's side at first too, might've been too hasty; if this is true, this is a bad look. But it seems odd to lie about it, wouldn't there be something written up/receipts?

Not a good look for Taylor if this is true. I trust Schreier's reporting.

My thoughts exactly.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Y'all just going to buy whatever story Platinum is putting out there when they're desperate for this game to succeed? C'mon. I'm not saying she's right but this thread is getting just as ridiculous as the last one. We still have NO idea what really happened.

mlk1227

Jan 31, 2021
Ehh...these sessions would have been like 20 hours of work. I don't think the idea behind freelance careers like voice acting is to work 4 days a year and earn 100k, right? It's more that you aim to get several roles per year, and the totals start adding up.
Totally… I guess for the 3rd game with an established character and voice actress it would've been cool if they paid her a high rate.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i trust schreier to properly vet those documents, so it's good to hear that platinum didn't do what she alleged and now i feel stupid for believing her account

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
This honestly feels so dumb because now everyone knows not to work with her because she broke an NDA and lied to the internet + people are aware of her basura stances on social issues.

Bye, I guess.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Taylor makes a video statement: Everyone says Platinum is trash.

An article comes out saying the offer might have been higher: People can't believe how she lied!

Can we just stop and think that we might actually don't know what really happened? You know, instead of just jumping to conclusions at the earliest opportunity.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her videos made it extremely clear that she was incensed as fuck about being snubbed out of voicing Bayonetta, and she made the claim that she believed they had nothing they could hold over her head if she broke NDA since she alleges she has no money (and she hasn't done voice acting since 2015 or so).

It frankly sounds like it was for no other reason than pettiness, especially since Bayonetta 3 fever pitch is riding high now.

Status
Not open for further replies.