Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming this is true why would she lie about the amount?

She could have made the same point about being underpaid without lying about it.

I would imagine there must have been emails at the very least containing the discussion on what she would be paid. She could show them her side of it as well.

That said I have no idea WTF happened here. I wouldn't suggest jumping to a conclusion either way. I am sure the truth will come out and it probably won't take years for it do so.
I mean she also likely was wrong about Bayonetta being a half a billion dollar IP.
Only way to really disprove her would be Platinum or Nintendo showing the offer or contracts which they will never do.

She thought she was irreplacable and Bayonetta was a MUCH bigger IP thna it actually is. Thats a combination of two bad things when you wanna negotiate seriosly.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, it's crazy to me that you'd go public and burn every possible bridge by lying so openly.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I wonder how many people like Cory Barlog who morally grandstanded the fuck out of this are going to tweet about this and apologize to Kamiya/PG?

SaneOsprey123

May 7, 2020

Ugh, this. Regardless of what the final answer ended/will end up being, I think it's just crazy that people just jumped the gun to help the one side of the story we knew of.
The game is actually doing even better in sales right now so it seems it wasn't as big of a deal, but if she was indeed lying, that was such a bold move to try and boycott. Someone's suing to cover damages for sure.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
As I said in the previous thread, I was inclined to believe her based on Platinum having the power dynamic on their side and Kamiya choosing to just say she's lying while blocking everyone who wanted to know more.

I trust what Schreier is reporting—since she omitted key information then she is the one who looks bad until this report is partially or completely debunked.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
At this point the most generous read for Taylor is probably that she read the contract and misunderstood it.
In response, they said, Taylor asked for a six-figure sum as well as residuals on the game. Platinum declined and, following lengthy negotiations, took auditions for a new actor. Platinum later offered Taylor a cameo in the game for the fee of one session, which she turned down, the people said.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I am more inclined to trust Jason on this, but we will likely never know the full truth. Still it is hard to be on Taylor's side, given who she is following and liking, plus the unnecessary shade thrown at Hale, who got harassed as a result.

Oct 25, 2017
More the argument is of the industry she is in. You don't get roles all the time and of a slightly larger title I would assume they pay their leading roles more. I guess I am wrong. It isn't about the amount of work done, moreso what value they hold and how they should be paid for that value. A purely moral position. I know it isn't how it financially works

I agree, the fact the work is inconsistent and strenuous is why that raw number is like 5x-10x (or more) the hourly rate of most of the people working on the project.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all just going to buy whatever story Platinum is putting out there when they're desperate for this game to succeed? C'mon. I'm not saying she's right but this thread is getting just as ridiculous as the last one. We still have NO idea what really happened.

they offered her a contract for several sessions at $3-4k per, she countered with something PG would never agree to, talks stalled and PG held auditions for a replacement but offered her a single cameo session for $4k as a gesture to her legacy. She was insulted by that single cameo offer at claimed in her video that's all PG offered her overall.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
How many pages until thread lock lol

Kinda hoping it just ends in court at this point so we get a closure

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised that PG didn't instantly counter with this story, if Jason's reporting is true. NDA was already broken and that would be an easy win, especially if PG has receipts of offers.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I don't personally believe Jason or Bloomberg would just lie about this so I trust the information. But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the tension came down to Bayonetta 1 and 2 having multiple rereleases and her VA getting more and more upset overtime that she isn't getting anything from them.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I can't think of any scenario where Schreier would put out these kinds of claims without sufficient evidence. So this looks pretty awful for her. Platinum isn't going to be peddling forged contracts to journalists or any crazy shit like that. It also squares well with the weird situation around Hale and the standard Union rates.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
"I would like to put this whole bloody franchise behind me quite frankly get on with my life in the theatre," [Taylor] wrote.

This honestly makes me happy. As a big Bayonetta fan, the thing that got me worked about this is that Taylor seemed so beat up about it. If she sees a path forward for herself, then that takes a lot of the stress I felt seeing the original videos off my shoulders.

Hale's great. We've known Taylor wasn't the primary voice in Bayo3 for almost a year, and fans are largely okay with that as long as everyone lands on their feet. That's why the videos had such as impact: not because they insist on having the original VA, but because Taylor was so beat up about it.

data

Oct 25, 2017
If Jason saw the receipts, he's more than trustworthy enough. Though I suppose the conspiracy could have just kept on rolling and you could just as easily say they fabricated the documents, and that Taylor should show hers.

But then she could have fabricated hers too.

I am severely disappointed in Taylor should this turn out to be true myself. I defended her staunchly.
Don't be disappointed. We only heard one side of the story till now so it's only natural we would believe them. Platinum didn't comment so now we have another side of the story. To us outsiders, it's "he said, she said"

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised that PG didn't instantly counter with this story, if Jason's reporting is true. NDA was already broken and that would be an easy win, especially if PG has receipts of offers.
pg is still beholden to whatever agreements they have with nintendo, who is not a company known for transparency about their legal contracts.

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
So we were right to be skeptical given the figures she given in her videos (like Bayonetta made $450M or the $4k offer for the whole game).

And for those who still give her benefit of the doubt, she hasn't released any documentation supporting her claims yet, that should be enough to think she bullshit from the start.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
Bloomberg has reviewed the documents. They are legit. There's no way a medium like Bloomberg would fall for fake material and/or publish an inside story without verifying sources.

In other words, their story is very likely true, and Taylor was most likely lying. Now calling these accounts a lie is pathetic; if she can't back this up with hard evidence (which she has to have if true), she's done.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all just going to buy whatever story Platinum is putting out there when they're desperate for this game to succeed? C'mon. I'm not saying she's right but this thread is getting just as ridiculous as the last one. We still have NO idea what really happened.
I mean, I'd be dubious on a Platinum statement, I'm less shaky on Bloomberg apparently having receipts and sources.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
Good that we're getting a more complete view of what happened. Hopefully everyone can just move on.
Looking forward to playing the game.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
This is why I thought people were jumping to conclusions. Not that I'm all about just trusting big corporations, but you don't know all the facts and can't take one person who is directly involved at their word, especially when it's to their advantage.
Saw so many people just saying that she was right and platinum was wrong

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will Era ever learn to hold in their outrage until the full story is out

I imagine no.

"I would like to put this whole bloody franchise behind me quite frankly get on with my life in the theatre," she wrote.
What an interesting way of going about doing that.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
So are we done calling everyone who questioned Taylor's side of the story "corporate bootlickers" and "victim blamers"?

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
After they got Hale, seems they offered her one session for a cameo. That's probably where the 4K "total" comes from.

It's in the OP.
Ah, I see.

So allegedly:

- Taylor originally requested a six figure payment + residuals
- Platinum offered $4k per session for a grand total of at least $15k for the game
- Negotiations broke down
- Platinum held new auditions for the role and hired Hale
- Platinum offered a "farewell" cameo of sorts for one $4k session
- Taylor declined, then decided to seemingly misrepresent this offer for a cameo as the offer for the entire role in her video

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true, it's crazy to me that you'd go public and burn every possible bridge by lying so openly.
I mean her not telling the truth doesnt change the fact she is obv. in a bad place and hurt about how things went down.
This never was JUST about a lowball offer, since her reaction to it was too extreme with the Hale callout as well as boycott for future Bayonetta games.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
What a weird marketing campaign for a game that is starring a multi-dimensional witch that battles all kinds of weird creatures...

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
She lied and it seems there is evidence to prove it. That's why you don't jump to conclusions and threaten to not buy games without hearing several voices first. A lesson in life for some.

Jun 6, 2022

The stuff below is the main things that I've seen on the subject. I'd have to look closer into the third image on the twitter post to find the connection between her and the account shown since it isn't apparent to me from a glance.

She can be a shitty person and have been underpaid by Platinum. However, since Jason Schrier is suggesting that she has been dishonest the matter, it would suggest that she is both a shitty person and one that has intentionally given false information to make Platinum look bad (assuming that Jason Schrier's report is accurate).

View: https://i.imgur.com/8pDZhwL.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/trsrpc/status/1581889895161032704?s=20&t=woWws7_bDmzcaEDlmxE7mA

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Well she didn't lie completely, more like a lie of omission, she did say they responded with a flat rate of 4k dollars to voice the whole game, but she just didn't tell us that was 4k *per recording session*.

$16,000 to $20,000 for 16 to 20 hours of recording seems fine? From testimonials we got since Saturday that seems way above the average.

But like, 100K for voicing Bayonetta 3? Lol okay lady.

VA should get game residuals though.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I'm glad people rallied against Kamiya and Platinum for nothing so quickly. I'm sure nobody was just using this as an excuse to shit on Kamiya and Platinum because had an axe to grind already.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GISp6KV.png

You don't say.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So she definitely lied about the whole thing? Or was there a miscommunication?

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Interesting. So there were parts of the speculation that were true. She was negotiating for the lead role in the game, but at that time she was being offered to get paid pretty well for a lead voice acting role. She didn't accept it, because according to her, Bayonetta is a multimillion franchise and she deserved a lot more (of course, her video ommits the part where she would get paid 4000$ PER session with multiple sessions, and not really a one time payment).

Then after negotiations fell through, Platinum did offer a smaller cameo role, that of course would involve a much smaller payment -perhaps this is the point after Hellena had sent an email directly to Hideki Kamiya- and that made her feel even more slighted.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the truth comes out.

Really hope all the people that jumped to her defense immediately and attacked Kamiya and/or Hale over this feel fucking stupid, but sadly this thread won't even reach half as many pages as the original thread.

People just want to be angry and shitty.

Voice acting industry still sucks across the board. These things are all true.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
This further complicates the story. I suppose we need to wait for receipts. Though, one thing is for sure, it should be against the law for an NDA to require you can't disclose your pay (in any setting).

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
This would at least be in line with the negotiated union standard. I still think there's no reason she shouldn't be entitled to residuals, but that's a bigger industry fight.

Eh, i think people vastly overestimate Bayonetta as a franchise. The first game was a bomb relative to production costs and the second didn't exactly set charts on fire either.

Nintendo earns a lot of money with games. Plantinum though... they probably barely get residuals as a studio since they don't even own the IP. Nevermind on an individual basis.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, the fact the work is inconsistent and strenuous is why that raw number is like 5x-10x (or more) the hourly rate of most of the people working on the project.
I was looking up video game dubbing and holy shit is it low at non union rates. Jesus. Crazy unions got as far as they did even if I don't believe it is enough for stuff that makes so much money in general

Vourlis

Banned
Aug 14, 2022
United States
So she allegedly sent over an insanely huge rate, Platinum balked, then Platinum apparently came back with a counter, she balked (with that counter value now up for debate) and then she went to Twitter.

Wonder how this all will pan out, but taking this to social media and the press was probably not the best idea for her own interests. Bayonetta is not her character. Nice of them to even offer a counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.