Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fine with staying at 720p, but 7" is a big ass "portable". Do people really want such a big display on a portable?

I haven't measured it myself personally but others have posted that they should be able to fit the screen without making the console bigger by shrinking the bezels.

And I'm all about a 7" portable. That's barely bigger than my phone's screen.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
If DLSS isn't confirmed then this thing would have to be significantly more powerful to support 4K without it

Theras post beautifully outlines everything I believe reasonable to expect from the new switch. Like the new Android tv, the upscaling chip uses AI to upscale 360->4k. Its not DLSS however.

I mean, I would LOVE to be proven wrong and eat my words, but I think everyone should really be expecting marginal improvements here. If we get the moon, then thats fantastic!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It can output in 8k with glasses free 3D and a 4k OLED screen, but the joycons will still be a crock of shit.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Can you link me to these posts? Tensor cores

Eh, you can watch NateDrake's video/podcast or just scan the hardware thread here. I'm not linking insider posts so a million people can go bother them or get them in trouble.

Thanks, that's why I was hoping to get linked to the insider posts. One S with DLSS is great though.

Based on what has been shared it should be a good device. Dont listen to people saying Series S performance and PS4 Pro. That is all made up shit. Just stick to it has tensor cores and can perform similarly to the One S docked. That will keep it in perspective.

Oct 27, 2017
Theras post beautifully outlines everything I believe reasonable to expect from the new switch. Like the new Android tv, the upscaling chip uses AI to upscale 360->4k. Its not DLSS however.

I mean, I would LOVE to be proven wrong and eat my words, but I think everyone should really be expecting marginal improvements here. If we get the moon, then thats fantastic!
At the end of the day this is just a "Pro" model, not the Switch successor, so I'm not expecting the moon or anythin

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019
What was the framerate for MH (I'm guessing you mean 4?) on the base 3DS? Locked 30? Or 30 with dips? Either way 55fps is a ~85% increase over 30fps, not 50%.

I'm going by what Digital Foundry said.

However, performance sees an upgrade on par, if not better than that seen in Hyrule Warriors. The older 2DS is no slouch - it hands in a read-out in the 30fps area, but the game is running unlocked, so the game does lack some consistency in its update. The fact that is there is no bar on performance beneath the 3DS panel's 60Hz refresh extends to the same code running on New 3DS too, where we find a performance bump even more impressive than Hyrule Warriors - gameplay sees anything from a 50 to 66 per cent uplift, bringing gameplay up to 45-50fps. Curiously though, engine-driven cut-scenes see very little improvement.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Well currently it renders most games somewhere between 720p and 1080p (docked), so if that was raised to 1440p wouldn't that be require a power increase? Or would that only require a minor one?

I'm just saying we don't know what it'll be capable of. Presumably it will be more powerful, sure. But the fact that it'll supposedly be marketed as a 4K machine (we don't even know how much Nintendo will lean into that) doesn't tell us anything about how much more powerful. Maybe it'll play current 720p games at 1080p and current 1080p games at 1200p and they'll all be upscaled to 4K. Maybe it actually will hit native 4K with many games. We have no idea and there's zero evidence one way or the other.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Is DLSS capable of providing any AA? Honestly I'm ok with 1080p docked native performance but for the love of god put some AA on switch games.
Yes, in the TXAA/FXAA sense. It won't look as clean as good ol' MSAA or SSAA, but Nvidia was marketing DLSS as an AA solution before they called it an upscaling solution.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's clear that most of the Switch Pro's mojo will be housed in the dock. I think one of the reasons they're going with a 720p screen is to keep the number of power profiles as low as possible for developers.

It sounds like it will be running in the same handheld profile as before, but that there'll be a new optional docked profile.

I think the reason it has an OLED screen is to give handheld mode some kind of upgrade in the form of better contrast and possibly HDR. But the star of the show will be the new 4K output of docked mode, probably via DLSS or a similar technology.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
720p is ok as long as the games actually render in 720p or use dlss to get there. No more of this Vaseline xenoblade chronicles 2 bullshit.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going by what Digital Foundry said.

Ah, so it's just based on the performance boost in one game?

Either way this is a silly argument, on paper it was quite a large improvement. In practice, not so much. Why that is, who knows.

I think it's clear that most of the Switch Pro's mojo will be housed in the dock. I think one of the reasons they're going with a 720p screen is to keep the number of power profiles as low as possible for developers.

Nah, none of this lines up with any of the rumors. Not many demanding games hit 720p in handheld mode, there is quite a lot of room for improvement in handheld mode profiles.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
At the end of the day this is just a "Pro" model, not the Switch successor, so I'm not expecting the moon or anythin

For sure, its definitely the stop-gap model. No doubt this will help improve the life span of the switch but I'm curious if Nintendo will follow suite with the other companies and offer backwards compatibility with an eventual successor. Im guessing so, but that recent article talking about the switch successor needing to be some brand new experience makes me slightly hesitant lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It sounds like it will be running in the same handheld profile as before, but that there'll be a new optional docked profile.

I think the reason it has an OLED screen is to give handheld mode some kind of upgrade in the form of better contrast and possibly HDR. But the star of the show will be the new 4K output of docked mode, probably via DLSS or a similar technology.

They aren't putting an extra GPU in the dock. They aren't changing displays to use the same internals.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
For sure, its definitely the stop-gap model. No doubt this will help improve the life span of the switch but I'm curious if Nintendo will follow suite with the other companies and offer backwards compatibility with an eventual successor. Im guessing so, but that recent article talking about the switch successor needing to be some brand new experience makes me slightly hesitant lol

I really, really hope so. I have such a love-hate relationship with the Switch, it's awesome in many ways but I really don't like the amount of full-price ports of games that are just a generation old. On Xbox I can play an updated version of games like RDR that I bought years ago. The Switch BC is embarrassing in comparison. VC ended up being a disappointment as well, I definitely would not have spent nearly as much money on it on Wii had I known it wouldn't be brought forward to new consoles.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We feeling like the current dock and joy con will be forward compatible? Idk how this stuff works.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Is DLSS capable of providing any AA? Honestly I'm ok with 1080p docked native performance but for the love of god put some AA on switch games.
SS stands for Super Sampling. Yeah, it isa form of AA.
Yeah this is very weird to me.
The obvious thing is the new Switch will be under Tegra X1+, which will be replaced this year if the 2 years cycle is applied. That means Nintendo will be able to buy those chips at a cheaper price, like they did before.
That means :
  • HDR support
  • 4K output
  • Around 25% more powerful (so people expecting 30FPS to 60FPS, or big increase in resolution, forget that. It will makes frame rate more stable and dynamic resolution drop less)
  • AI scaling
Shield pro can upscale from 360 throught 1440p => 4K
What's interesting is it doesn't required any software modifications.
So, yes, it's not at the level of DLSS (very far from it), but that means the entire library (and console UI) will be compatible out of the box.
Shield Pro does not need to render a whole game next to its upscaling.

How long are Jeffs hands? im 170, i measured, to hold the console in a confortable angle while angling my hands on my arm restsin my chair (or while holding it up on the couch) im holding it 10+-1 inches away from my face. holding it further away just seems tiring for my arms / unconfortable for a longer session.

And his point about "text would get smaler with 1080" is completly wrong...honestly, thats just a bad take overall there. I have seem more bad takes from him in the last months...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The obvious thing is the new Switch will be under Tegra X1+, which will be replaced this year if the 2 years cycle is applied. That means Nintendo will be able to buy those chips at a cheaper price, like they did before.
That means :
  • HDR support
  • 4K output
  • Around 25% more powerful (so people expecting 30FPS to 60FPS, or big increase in resolution, forget that. It will makes frame rate more stable and dynamic resolution drop less)
  • AI scaling
So, yes, it's not at the level of DLSS (very far from it), but that means the entire library (and console UI) will be compatible out of the box.
the TX1+ is what's in the switch now though

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Joycons definitely should be. Dock is more of a question mark, as the current dock can't output 4k. But I don't see why it wouldn't just output the normal 1080p signal.

Neat, yeah I was mostly wondering if some alteration to the form factor would present issues, but I guess taking advantage of smaller bezels gets the job done if the internals don't need more space

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, 2022 games for sure aren't going to be exclusive to this new Switch system. Nor will 2023 games be from Nintendo in my estimation.

Existing games can use the extra horsepower to render at native, rather than dynamic, resolutions, and the frame rate issues that exist should all be cleared up. An additional patch is needed to allow for more advanced improvement, like using DLSS to hit 4K resolution.

It's labeled as news because there's a big news publication behind it, I guess, but I agree that rumour is a better label for this thread.
k the OG switch is going anywhere for a while, so you should be good.

thanks guys

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could do with some actual tech spec leaks so we can stop worrying about whether it has dlss or not haha. Would be nice to just know at this point.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
high pixel densities benefit text, which is what phones are mostly used for now

true but here Nintendo can save some money on screen. As they are packing everything in that amount. Not to mention nintendo earns profit on hardware so there will be some margin. Samsung screens are good even if you buy a $100 phone they came with good display.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is mainly using his Switch portably (mostly using my Lite, the regular one is gathering dust in the dock), I can't see myself getting this new one. Unless the bezels are suuuper thin, this thing is super lightweight and still houses some performance increase in the actual device, not just in the dock. Then I would maybe be interested, but I think I'll stick with my Lite. But let's first wait for the proper reveal.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That means :
  • HDR support
  • 4K output
  • AI scaling

Current Switch and Lite both use TX1+ already. If this new one uses the same chip there would be no need for new devkits, which Bloomberg just confirmed have been sent out EDIT: whoops the title of the thread made me think it was from Bloomberg, it was not. Still, it's from a reliable source.

Last edited:

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't putting an extra GPU in the dock. They aren't changing displays to use the same internals.

Do you think that Nintendo will require developers to develop for 4 different power profiles in order to release on Switch?

And to be clear, I don't think it will have the same internals, nor have a whole second GPU in the dock.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's going to use DLSS. I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't support it at all.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
I really, really hope so. I have such a love-hate relationship with the Switch, it's awesome in many ways but I really don't like the amount of full-price ports of games that are just a generation old. On Xbox I can play an updated version of games like RDR that I bought years ago. The Switch BC is embarrassing in comparison. VC ended up being a disappointment as well, I definitely would not have spent nearly as much money on it on Wii had I known it wouldn't be brought forward to new consoles.

I was one of the lucky ones that jumped on the modern Nintendo train with the switch. I can only imagine how disheartening that situation must be for everyone else. It'd be fantastic if our investments can start carrying over to different generations at this point as a rule. I dont think anyone wants to buy another version of Mario Kart 8 lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that Nintendo will require developers to develop for 4 different power profiles in order to release on Switch?

PC development uses dozens of profiles.

Hell, Switch already supports 5 profiles, there's docked, docked with CPU boost, undocked, boost mode undocked, super boost mode undocked.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's going to use DLSS. I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't support it at all.

Several insiders have explicitly said it will. One of whom is quite trustworthy with a very good track record.

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019
Ah, so it's just based on the performance boost in one game?

Either way this is a silly argument, on paper it was quite a large improvement. In practice, not so much. Why that is, who knows.

No they tested all of the enhanced games + I've hacked mine and installed emulators and home brew stuff and found a similar boost. I agree it's a silly argument. Whether there's untapped power there or not is irrelevant, as far as the end user is concerned it's a small boost and I'm predicting the same for the new Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.